PDA

View Full Version : Fructose

Albertina
13-06-2008, 10:04
I bought fructose to use instead of sugar. I remember reading that it's a slow carbo-hydrate and it's not adding weight, etc. Any qualified opinions ?

MissAnnElk
13-06-2008, 10:10
I am not an expert, but I thought sugar was sugar was sugar . . . doesn't matter if it's corn syrup or cane sugar or beet sugar or honey.

As I understand it, fructose in it's natural form (in a piece of fruit, for example) is less harmful than a spoonful of granulated sugar. That we should enjoy sweets that way. But everything in moderation.

Albertina
13-06-2008, 10:13
It's getting very confusing:

Fructose is often recommended for, and consumed by, people with diabetes mellitus or hyperglycemia, because it does not raise blood glucose or insulin concentrations since it is metabolized without the need of insulin. However, this benefit is tempered by concern that fructose may have an adverse effect on plasma lipid and uric acid levels.

But in fact, I should not use it... It causes obesity and other problems:

A study in mice suggests that fructose increases obesity.[51]

One study concluded that fructose "produced significantly higher fasting plasma triacylglycerol values than did the glucose diet in men" and "if plasma triacylglycerols are a risk factor for cardiovascular disease, then diets high in fructose may be undesirable".[52] Bantle et al. "noted the same effects in a study of 14 healthy volunteers who sequentially ate a high-fructose diet and one almost devoid of the sugar."[53]

MissAnnElk
13-06-2008, 10:17
It's getting very confusing:

Fructose is often recommended for, and consumed by, people with diabetes mellitus or hyperglycemia, because it does not raise blood glucose or insulin concentrations since it is metabolized without the need of insulin. However, this benefit is tempered by concern that fructose may have an adverse effect on plasma lipid and uric acid levels.

I saw that . . . the Diabetes people used to recommend it, but apparently they don't so enthusiastically now . . . again, what I saw was eat it in an unprocessed state (bu that we should eat as much unprocessed food as possible . . . stay away from the chips and sodas and cookies, etc.)