PDA

View Full Version : Tips for living cheap

Lauren Dyer
13-06-2008, 05:50
I will be moving to Moscow soon and would like to know some of the best places to shop, quality cheap housing, and such other things.

Andy B
13-06-2008, 06:14
Hi Lauren, welcome to the site!

"cheap" and "Moscow" are unfortunately not often used in the same sentence!

That said, the cost ofliving does not have to be astronomical. Do you speak Russian? If so, this will help you out no end. There are lots of markets (Rinok's) and smaller shops (Produkti's) where you can get local produce much cheaper than at the big in-town supermarkets, but it would help if you speak Russian. The out of town stores (Auchan for example) are also good, but you need to travel to get to them.

I used the Metro (almost) exclusively. It is cheap, reliable and quick (but it does become a cattle market at rush hour).

As for accomodation... good luck with that!

Despite the high cost of living (I don't want to put you off), Moscow is an amazing place and a very interesting city to live in. I'm sure you'll have a blast!

MissAnnElk
13-06-2008, 07:52
The average Muscovite makes ends meet somehow here. My suggestion is to find Russian friends and get them to show you where they shop, etc.

And YES! to the Metro. A very, very impressive thing. I love it.

kapione
13-06-2008, 08:03
I will be moving to Moscow soon and would like to know some of the best places to shop, quality cheap housing, and such other things.

in Moscow things are so expensive !
ex: milk is just about 2 times more expensive than the same unit (liter) of milk ! (I'd like someone to explain this situation)
2 years ago you could rent a 1 bedroom apartment for less than it costs now to rent a room in someones flat !

another example : beers per unit price per .5 liter is about 19 roubles now, go to a restaurant you will pay 150 to 200 roubles for that beer , normal mark up is 2 times, but you are in Moscow, the greed Capital of the world, you will pay 5 to 10 times this amount.

and when you do go to rent a flat ,if you can afford to do so, when they hear you speaking english, ching ching , the price will usually goes up too

good luck to you
better bring alot of ready cash or debit card , you will need it
a cheap night out will cost you $75 if your lucky

Transparent Theatre
13-06-2008, 12:52
It is cheap, reliable and quick (but it does become a cattle market at rush hour).

On the other hand, the roads become long thin car-parks at rush hour...

Andy B
13-06-2008, 12:56
Absolutely... I wasn't suggesting to not use the metro at rush hour, just that it can get a bit "stuffy" in there!

kapione
13-06-2008, 13:09
Absolutely... I wasn't suggesting to not use the metro at rush hour, just that it can get a bit "stuffy" in there!

the Metro is becoming hellish to be in ,it is packed like a cattle car ,even this the price rising fast , but the Babushki will still snarl progress and speeds because they need to drag their lives in their carts as they go..... summer is here , now the Metro has the additional olfactory offending odors of the unwashed , this due to a major city shutting off hot water in the summer
the second part is the people who refuse to bathe,or use deodorants

Andy B
13-06-2008, 13:44
True, but that is a topic for another thread... it doesn't help Lauren live cheaply in Moscow.

Anybody have any other advice for her?

kapione
13-06-2008, 14:13
you are right, my advice bring alot of cash,or have a rich Daddy

xSnoofovich
13-06-2008, 14:16
I have some advice - but please define "cheap" first.

My advice - bring your supply of meds/vitamins with you. Aspirin, multi-vitamins, etc. Buy them from Costco, or Walmart.

Bring socks with you as well.

Buy a metro card for 3 months, 6 months or 1 year.

Trams and buses are also a great option, but buy the tickets from the kiosk, as they are way more expensive when you buy them from the driver.

Shop online at (http://www.utkanos.ru) for your food.

Drink a beer, or some wine before you go to meet your friends at cafes.
Eat a small snack as well. Like someone once told me - it is better to have less of something, but higher quality, than it is to have a lot of something that is mediocre. ( quality over quantity )

Always have a Russian friend buy your tickets for you when you want to go to museums, plays, concerts, etc.

There are all kinds of clothing stores that are cheap, the trick is to find the stores with good quality, cheap clothing. But, there are plenty.

Find a rich boyfriend. ;)

kapione
13-06-2008, 14:21
She will have trouble finding quality anything here , we are in Russia, we are lucky we have anything genuine here in Russia
but good advice, find a rich guy

xSnoofovich
13-06-2008, 14:33
I suppose. It just depends on what you are looking for. I bought a suit in Upper Manhattan that was cheap, and I bought one in the Far East that was cheap as well, but very stylish. My cheap suit in the Far East will last for a much longer time than the one I bought in Manhattan, so in the end, it doesn't matter where you buy something, it just matters that find what you are looking for. And that you are happy with what you buy.

Julia Fokina
13-06-2008, 14:50
2 Lauren Dyer:
The Metro
Oh I love it! It`s safe, fast, easy and clean most of the time (Just buy a ticket in a kiosk outside of the metro, saves money) In comparison with NY city metro it`s great. You don`t have to wait 5-10 min for a train to come, here it`s 1-2 minutes. There are no rats that you can see freely walking along the platform, some stations even got this nice decoration which I really like. I would agree that rush hours are bad, people are fast/rude and not nice sometimes and don`t say excuse me/I`m sorry when it`s needed but that`s about a big cityIn NY where I used to live it`s exactly the same way in the metro even worse during the nite in black boroughs with high crime rates associated with drug activity!

Accomodation
True. It is very expensive like everywhere else in a big city. Real estate is one of these fields where Russian people make money these days... That`s about life in a big city. But hey! I believe, some companies are ready to pay for their peoples accommodation:question:
You can manage to find something which is not bad for an o.k price, or for the beginning try to find a host Russian family that might be very nice and welcoming.

Places to shop
Find Russian friends to show you around! That`s the smartest way to make it. There are good supermarkets with reasonable prices on food(Ashan, Dixi, Kopeika)that you can find all over around the city. Also, besides pricy malls, there are places with ok prices on clothe, shoes and other stuff. For sure there are a lot of things to do and places to go in Moscow. Parks, cinemas, coffee places, bars ets.

Miracle77777
14-06-2008, 01:04
in Moscow things are so expensive !
ex: milk is just about 2 times more expensive than the same unit (liter) of milk ! (I'd like someone to explain this situation)
2 years ago you could rent a 1 bedroom apartment for less than it costs now to rent a room in someones flat !

another example : beers per unit price per .5 liter is about 19 roubles now, go to a restaurant you will pay 150 to 200 roubles for that beer , normal mark up is 2 times, but you are in Moscow, the greed Capital of the world, you will pay 5 to 10 times this amount.

and when you do go to rent a flat ,if you can afford to do so, when they hear you speaking english, ching ching , the price will usually goes up too

good luck to you
better bring alot of ready cash or debit card , you will need it
a cheap night out will cost you $75 if your lucky

Agree..........
But you forgot to mention petrol prices, which are absolutely incredible, assuming, that we are importers of petrol.......
LOL

annaw1
18-06-2008, 00:41
If you want to live in Moscow and If you have no many - rent a flat near the metro station Tepluy Stan, Yasenevo, near the bottom and top of grey and green metro lines. These places are sutable for living and prices there are less the other parts of Moscow.

NandM
19-06-2008, 22:31
recently i've discovered a great discount store - ХЦ магазин распродаж. The famous brand clothes are sold here 2-3-5 times cheaper than the original price/ The store is located at Shelkovskoye shosse bld 7.

keen2go
23-07-2008, 01:52
Moscow sales - the only time to shop for decent shoes and clothes! Keep browsing right to the end - you are sure to find a genuine bargain unlike the sales back home! Indulge in the designer shop sales and check out the shoe shops by GUM!

Ebogart
24-08-2008, 22:09
I have some advice:

Shop at the OUTDOOR markets behind Kieveskaya mall for fresh veggies and fruit. You will also find that the outdoor markets hold all sorts of useful home items - such as hardware (drills, hammers, fly paper, nails, etc. etc. etc).

Try ordering online from Utkonos - but you will need a Russian speaking friend to help you if it's not one of your languages. I buy all my non-perishable and HEAVY items there - (dog food, water, milk, juice). Yeah - I know. Odd to see milk and juice listed as non-perishable, but welcome to Russia.

Bring your lunch to work. Restaurants are expensive and it's annoying to pay $30 at Uncle Sam's for a mediocre hamburger and a coke.

Find the outdoor markets in your neighborhood.

Buy your flowers at the Outdoor market behind Kieveskaya. A rose that is $4 a stem in a flower shop is $2 at Kievskaya.

Can't help with the apartment.

Enjoy Moscow! I have been here for 6-7 months and love it!!

Oh - get your hair cut and colored before you come!! (assuming you color). Cut and color here can be $450. I BEG someone to tell me a better price for a quality job!

alex shobo
28-08-2008, 14:11
hello and welcome to moscow/ first. i am a hairdresser and my services didn't cost so much as 450$ This price you will pay only and only!! if go to hair-salon of high-class!!! But we have as well business class and economy class!! Economy class is for really "pour" people those who is in retirement or students. But it this isn't mean that the work of hairdresser is bad - quite apposite! my price for hair cut is 30 $ and color is 50! feel free contact me))
als0 - there is chain of russian Dollorama call Fix Price. totally same thing on russian way/ One i know on Old Arbat.
why you want come here?

Mariannchen
30-08-2008, 21:06
Well, I think it does really make sense to find some Russian friends to settle small matters for you - like buying in "Produkty"s or buying a metro card. People don't speak English at such places as a rule. Another valuable advice I came across here is to have your Russian friend buy tickets for you in museums - the price will be 3-5 times higher if you buy yourself...what else...find a flatmate to rent cheaper and...don't forget that Moscow is very like a human being - she shows scant hospitality to those who don't like her, and she really loves back those who treat her right ;) like a woman=)

marmite66
28-03-2009, 19:56
gloomy reading!!! can anyone list cheap places to shop in Moscow?:10475:

TZski
30-03-2009, 01:57
don't forget that Moscow is very like a human being - she shows scant hospitality to those who don't like her, and she really loves back those who treat her right ;) like a woman=)

That is great!! And very true!

:bowdown:

You can save alot of Rubles by buying a TAT card at most transportation kiosks - The TAT card is good for one month and you can use it on all Trolleybuses/Autobuses/Trams as many times as you'd like ... I think it costs around 500 Rubles - It will save you tons of money in the long run ... I only use taxis after 1 am when transportation shuts down for the night - way too expensive! ( My Russian sux! ) Good luck!

Swordfish90293
30-03-2009, 08:01
Don't let the naysayers dissuade you from coming or get you into the wrong mindset about Moscow. I had a very comfortable yet pricey life in L. A. and spend considerably less here. Maybe has to do with not having two cas here and not dealing with the insurance and gas bills. But the food is fresher and better quality, the metro has NYC beat by all counts, and there's plenty of everything. If you don't speak Russian do bring things such as vitamins and prescriptions, aspirin, as well as things you may need that you won't have to take time to source. Housing is a mixed bag. I pay for a great flat in the center what I would for a place 1/2 the size back home. But I think Los Angeles housing is high. I have a 2 bedroom @ $1350, where a family of 4 can live comfortably. Restaurants can be pricy, but if you work with a company with a canteen it's a Godsend...cheap, healthy food, if a bit bland.

I wonder at the negativity on this forum. I think it has to to with culture shock and maybe low self esteem. But this place is a gas!

marmite66
30-03-2009, 08:13
Marmites money saving tips:

1) Use the same tea bag for all the family at least 3 times.
2) Live in a park under a bridge or find an empty flat
3) Eat only cheese, soup and fruit
4) Make your own alcohol at home from grapes, fruit or potatoes
5) Make your own clothes and shoes
6) Use Skype from your computer
7) Shop at markets but if you are a foreigner don't speak or you will pay double, shop in silence and just hand the woman your carrots and the money
8) Walk in the city when possible
9) Use candles or have only one light on the room where you are at home to save bills
10) Wash every other day

Other ideas welcome :beerbros:

marmite66
31-03-2009, 18:27
Credit Crunch Tips and Moscow tips

DON'T waste money on expensive ipods. Simply think of your favourite tune a
nd hum it. If you want to "switch tracks", simply think of another song you
like and hum that instead.

DON'T waste money on expensive paper shredders to avoid having your
identity stolen. Simply place a few dog turds in the bin bags along with
your old bank statements.

SAVE money on expensive personalised car number plates by simply changing
your name to match your existing plate. - Mr. KVL 741Y,

DON'T waste money buying expensive binoculars; simply stand closer to the
object you wish to view.

AN empty aluminium cigar tube filled with angry wasps makes an inexpensive
vibrator.

SAVE electricity by turning off all the lights in your house and walking
around wearing a miner's hat.

HOUSEWIVES, the best way to get two bottles of washing-up liquid for the
price of one is by putting one in your shopping trolley and the other in
your coat pocket.

OLD telephone directories! make ideal personal address books, simply cross
out the names and address of people you don't know.

SAVE on booze by drinking cold tea instead of whisky. The following morning
you can create the effects of a hangover by drinking a thimble full of
washing up liquid and banging your head repeatedly on the wall.

SAVE a fortune on laundry bills. Give your dirty shirts to Oxfam, they will
wash and iron them and you can buy them back for fifty pence.

OLD people, if you feel cold indoors this winter, simply pop outside for
ten minutes without a coat, when you go back inside you will really feel
the benefit.

CAN'T afford contact lenses? Simply cut out small circles of cling film and
press them into your eyes.

WHY pay the earth for expensive jigsaws? Just take a bag of frozen chips
from the freezer and try piecing together potatoes.

MIX tea with coffee, and leave in the fridge to cool. Hey presto! Toffee.

MAKE your own inexpensive mints by leaving blobs of toothpaste to dry on a
window sill. Use striped toothpaste to make humbugs.

SHOPPERS, when buying oranges, get more for your money by peeling them
before taking them to the counter to be weighed.!

Almatinka
02-04-2009, 00:51
Ha ha ha - awesome tips! I particularly like the Ipod substitute... :)

Although I remember conserving electricity myself by walking with a flahslight in my house when I was little.... And shoplifting (and eating food while grocery shopping) is not a joke but a reality in a big expensive city....

marmite66
02-04-2009, 00:59
Thats a good idea I saw a guy the other day shopping in Tesco (a big food store in Europe) He was walking round eating his meal!! He began with bread rolls in the bread section then moved on to some cheese, then for desert he had fruit. lastly he got some beers paid at the check out and left the store.

Great idea eat in store for free then leave!!!

:beerbros:

Almatinka
02-04-2009, 22:04
Thats a good idea I saw a guy the other day shopping in Tesco (a big food store in Europe) He was walking round eating his meal!! He began with bread rolls in the bread section then moved on to some cheese, then for desert he had fruit. lastly he got some beers paid at the check out and left the store.

Great idea eat in store for free then leave!!!

:beerbros:

See - it's a reality! You can also go to the pharmacy and use a deodorant there and maybe a hairspray... I don't think shampooning your hair there will work though --- way too bovious (and it may sting your eyes, which will be annoying when you try to run away from an angly sales clerk :D)

Almatinka
02-04-2009, 22:07
Marmites money saving tips:

1) Use the same tea bag for all the family at least 3 times.
2) Live in a park under a bridge or find an empty flat
3) Eat only cheese, soup and fruit
4) Make your own alcohol at home from grapes, fruit or potatoes
5) Make your own clothes and shoes
6) Use Skype from your computer
7) Shop at markets but if you are a foreigner don't speak or you will pay double, shop in silence and just hand the woman your carrots and the money
8) Walk in the city when possible
9) Use candles or have only one light on the room where you are at home to save bills
10) Wash every other day

Other ideas welcome :beerbros:

Me and my family have done all of these things except #2 (although I lived in a tent in a state park for a month at some point....) And we didn't make shoes, but we tried to wear them out as much as possible (and then my dad would fix them as much as he could)

marmite66
02-04-2009, 22:56
People great tips, I have some more....

Depending on if these things exist in Moscow as I'm not yet there.

1) Drive to a petrol station with your family that has a car wash, put your car in the car wash, take all your clothes off and clean all the family and the car for one cheap price.

2) For pollution in Moscow wear a Goldfish bowel on your head or steal some surgical masks from a doctors and do like the chinease and wear a mask when outside or when running

3) Go to your job in the day and at night play the guitar and sing songs in English outside the Metro for extra coins

4) Become a volunteer in research centre for sleeping problems and earn money while you sleep or offer your services as a mind reader or hypnotherapist to the rich and famous

5) Become a fashion advisor to the "New rich" in Moscow as they seem to wear the most expensive clothes but look like an example of how not to dress and are the height of vulgarity, call yourself "Viktor le byron" if your a man or "madam poopylier" if your a woman and act in a camp or flamboyant way

6) Become a dog hairdresser to the "New Rich" you will become rich cutting and shampooing their poodles, call your parlor "doggy style"

7) Convert your free space into a domination dungeon and advertise in political magazines/papers offering tourist domination holidays in Moscow.

9) Take up bear strip-teaze as Russian's seem to like showing bears in the street but add a twist to this craze get a few bears and drees them in ladies clothes

If you want to go into business with me, let me know.

:idea:

res
02-04-2009, 23:22

5) Become a fashion advisor to the "New rich" in Moscow as they seem to wear the most expensive clothes but look like an example of how not to dress and are the height of vulgarity, call yourself "Viktor le byron" if your a man or "madam poopylier" if your a woman and act in a camp or flamboyant way

If you want to go into business with me, let me know.

u r the coolest.....................................

Almatinka
03-04-2009, 00:32

3) Go to your job in the day and at night play the guitar and sing songs in English outside the Metro for extra coins

I'm seriously considering playing guitar for some cash when I move to Moscow! I will need some 'protection' though, from thugs and militia who may harrass me because I'm a woman (and also pretty cute ;)). Anybody wants like to be my bodyguard for 20% of the profit ;)?

As for #5 -- it's an AWESOME idea, however, according to the recent article from TIME magazine about the most recent Moscow Fashion Week, it is obvious that Russians will no give up their flashy, falmboyant and at times distasteful clothes for something more tame and classy: that's just not their mentality... so good luck with the fashion-advising business...

andrew32
25-05-2009, 22:31
yes, key word "speak russian" it really does help if you speak Russian in Russia.

for someone who does not speak Russian, learning a few practical conversational phrases is a must really. Luckily this does not need to be expensive time consuming schools and heavy books.

There is a new MP3 course designed specifically for English Speakers and includes tons of useful practical things. It contains 17 MP3 tracks and can be downloaded for less than a dollar from Amazon. The full title called Easy Russian for English Speakers by Max Bollinger

ChWatson
09-09-2009, 12:29
Anything Russian-made will be cheaper than imported goods. Go for the funny little stores, markets and cafs.

FatAndy
09-09-2009, 12:50
Anything Russian-made will be cheaper than imported goods. - not correct. Overall expenses and labor cost in Russia are always higher than, for example, in China, Philippines etc.

Adieu
29-09-2009, 03:01
Shop for clothing abroad, once per year.

Example: landed an Ungaro suit cheap in Cali, for $70 (marked down from $350). Saw it 2 weeks later in a Moscow boutique, for ... wait for it... ** $ 2000 **.

...in other words, you could buy 7 of them instead of just 1, for each day of the week, pay Moscow-LA-Moscow airfare, and STILL have $500 left for booze in Los Angeles bars!!!

Or... those $500 could land you high-quality casual gear to last you the entire year, shoes-shirts-jeans-sweaters-coats and all.

kcb536
11-10-2009, 12:18
I have not found cheap living to be impossible. You cannot eat out a lot or shop for clothes a lot, but outside of this, you can manage.

Cook for yourself if you can. Perekrestok is an inexpensive chain grocery store that is located in many places around the city (a large one is at Evropeyskiy Center at Metro Kievskaya, but they are all over). I shop there regularly for inexpensive things, and they have a decent selection of international foods. Also shop at your local produkty and buy fresh veggies/fruits from markets, where they are often cheaper and more delicious.

Use the Metro -- not taxis. You can buy a month or several-month p**** which is often a good deal, but it's more money up front.

When you eat out, look for "business lunch" deals, which are usually pretty cheap and offer a good amount of food for the price.

You can buy a lot of cheap products at Gorbushka market and other places like this. They won't last as long (my suitcase broke instantly) but are inexpensive.

Good luck!

asimbg
10-12-2009, 02:40
hi i want stay in moscow for ten days cheep accomodation
thanks tell me about that
asim

Yulichka
14-12-2009, 12:15
1) Go to a "Салон Красоты" (Beauty Salon) to get your hair cut, instead of a hairdresser. These can be found almost everywhere around Moscow, with prices from 400-500roubles for a haircut.

Take a picture with you if you don't speak Russian!

2) Buy locally-produced and seasonal fruit and veg. Carrots, beetroot and potatoes are dead cheap right now 9in Winter), whereas fresh salad, cucumbers etc. are not ;-)

3) Buy warm hats, scarves, gloves and socks at outdoor markets or in underground passageways. They are hand-made, good quality and cheaper than in shops. Also, they are authentically Russian.

pelicans
03-01-2010, 21:05
Thanks, great tips!

Asteriks
06-01-2010, 03:40
There are such malls like - Discount Centers - there you can find some time
good things in mood of Cheap And Beautifull - for nightouts, parties, hangouts.

one is right near metro Kalyzskaya, second known by me - is on cross of
schosse Aminevskaya and schosse Kytyzovskaya

gnawylime
22-01-2010, 00:22
if you need to eat downtown, check out a kiosk like kroshka kartoshka, or go to the okhotniy riad food court instead of a more expensive cafe. the cafes on the very top floor of GUM are also not too expensive!

amdei
08-02-2010, 01:11
tip: If you are was late at friends party, and metro was closed, taxi price will be less if you just go to the street and rice you hand instead of ordering a taxi via phone.
Depends on distance to be traveled - up to 2-3 times.

Welcome to Moscow!

Exciter
13-07-2010, 23:27
If you want to live in Moscow and If you have no many - rent a flat near the metro station Tepluy Stan, Yasenevo, near the bottom and top of grey and green metro lines. These places are sutable for living and prices there are less the other parts of Moscow.

A matter of opinion...

Personally: I WOULD NEVER rent a place for myself in these areas...

Ice
17-07-2010, 14:04

:11629:

Remington
17-07-2010, 15:00
A matter of opinion...

Personally: I WOULD NEVER rent a place for myself in these areas...

How come? I live in Yasenevo area for 3 years and had no problems. I find the area much cleaner that most places in Moscow.

MovingSoon
28-08-2010, 13:46
If you are going to be here for more than a year, it's worth it to buy a year-long metro p**** despite the high initial cost. From what I understand, they usually raise the prices in January, so if you buy in Sept-December, you also really save money throughout the year! If you are going to be a student, there are lots of student discounts and a student metro pass that you may be eligible for -- you'll have to ask.

Also, look for roommates if you need housing. The most popular apartments are studios and one-bedrooms (referred to here as one or two-room apartments). Larger apartments (3+rooms) become significantly "cheaper" when divided among two or three people.

Sharno
29-08-2010, 14:50

it depends also on the area where you are going to stay, what shops you'll find around or at least easy reachable