PDA

View Full Version : Best way to get some boxes of household junk out of Russia and to Australia?

SpruceGoose
20-05-2004, 22:31
Howdy all. Anyone know any relatively efficient and fairly cheap ways to send a few boxes of household ornaments, books mementos, and sundry other house cluttering objects back to somewhere where they can really collect dust. Like Oz? DHL looks outrageously expensive. Anyone know of any groups who do the tea chest thing?

Cheers

SGoose

Polia Ivanova
21-05-2004, 00:14
Originally posted by SpruceGoose
Howdy all. Anyone know any relatively efficient and fairly cheap ways to send a few boxes of household ornaments, books mementos, and sundry other house cluttering objects back to somewhere where they can really collect dust. Like Oz? DHL looks outrageously expensive. Anyone know of any groups who do the tea chest thing?

Cheers

SGoose

When I was mooving out of Russia I sent a lot of stuff (books and CDs) using usual Russian international mail (back in 1999). It was cheaper than pay an extra for airplane luggage. They had (and may be still have) a special counter in Pochtampt on Myasnitskaya and a special branch somewhere near Varshavskaya (I think but...?) and I got all the parcels.

This sounds like a joke - they didn't allow me to send any books saying "Reference...(справочник)" on it. According to the directive dated 1937. The only reference book that I was trying to send was the reference book about how to conjuguer des verbs francais - bloody Russian military secret.

DPG
21-05-2004, 00:19
Originally posted by Polia Ivanova
and a special branch somewhere near Varshavskaya (I think but...?)

Yep - It's near metro Nagatinskaya, is very cheap and I have never had anything lost (destinations were the UK and France). Former collegues of mine used it to both China and Oz without any problems or loss of parcels...