PDA

View Full Version : trains to St. Petersburg

Dilek
09-06-2008, 23:08
Is there anyone who travelled to St. Petersburg by train. I am planning to go there for the upcoming holiday. There is an option of buying from "waytorussia". Is it safe? Seated or sleeping type trains? any experience?

Strider
09-06-2008, 23:23
I haven't been to SPB myself, but decided to check train schedules

there's a train that has 4:30 running time and has seated places, others take about 8 hours and go during the night, so they have sleeping places

waves
09-06-2008, 23:27
Dilek....I travel to St Petersburg regularly by by train. I usually take the Aurora or Nevsky express which leaves Mocow around 1630 or 1800 respectively and arrives in St Petes late evening. These are both seated and I have had only very positive experiences. I mostly buy my tickets through agents although it possible to buy from Leningradski Vokzal direct if you have a Russian speaking friend. At this late stage you may need to go there anyway to try and purchase tickets that have been returned for resale. Travel agents will also procure these last minute tickets for a fee.

Safe travels.

Transparent Theatre
10-06-2008, 00:29
I can't imagine why you would need "waytorussia" if you are already IN Russia - just go down to the station, or to any of the many travel agents around the centre of Moscow who book train tickets!

If you would prefer to take an overnight train, the nicest of the "regular-price" trains, in my opinion, is the Megapolis, which leaves around 0100 am in either direction. If you want to spring for luxury, then look at the Grand Express, which is easily above the levels of Europe's top trains like the Thalys or EuroStar in standard :)

I am baffled why people think these trains wouldn't be safe, but to answer your question - "yes, entirely and totally safe", and very nice too :)

Strider
10-06-2008, 00:33
wasn't it almost a year ago when a train from moscow to spb was derailed? :) so it's ok to ask if it's safe! :)

Dilek
10-06-2008, 01:00
Dilek....I travel to St Petersburg regularly by by train. I usually take the Aurora or Nevsky express which leaves Mocow around 1630 or 1800 respectively and arrives in St Petes late evening. These are both seated and I have had only very positive experiences. I mostly buy my tickets through agents although it possible to buy from Leningradski Vokzal direct if you have a Russian speaking friend. At this late stage you may need to go there anyway to try and purchase tickets that have been returned for resale. Travel agents will also procure these last minute tickets for a fee.

Safe travels.

Thank you Waves :)
I also found out these two also for going but couldnt find a similar version for return as seated. I am trying to arrange one of the girls in the office for communication. It is hard to recognize the agencies as many buildings look same from exterior here. Maybe some of us did not suffer from these and language issues :wazzup:

Strider
10-06-2008, 01:19
one of those 4.5 hour trains leaves spb every day at 18:30 except saturday

waves
10-06-2008, 07:48
Dilek........here's a website that lists the trains from St Petes to Moscow Train tickets. Other services. Russian St.Petersburg Tours (http://www.russian-st-petersburg.com/7-other-services/1-train-tickets.html)

There is a Russian language website where you purchase tickets on line (I haven't tried) but this close to the holiday I suggest going with your friend to the Leningradki Vokzal ticket office.

The same seated fast trains depart St Petes most days of the week. I try to use the Nevski Express both ways mainly because the time suites me and the restaraunt service is better than the Aurora.

PM me if you do end up on the Nevski Express tomorrow.

Dilek
15-06-2008, 18:22
it was impossible!
We had to wait, wait and wait. In one hour the woman was able to sell two tickets! so next time...
Hope to find the way via internet...:)

Thanks all...

Dilek........here's a website that lists the trains from St Petes to Moscow Train tickets. Other services. Russian St.Petersburg Tours (http://www.russian-st-petersburg.com/7-other-services/1-train-tickets.html)

There is a Russian language website where you purchase tickets on line (I haven't tried) but this close to the holiday I suggest going with your friend to the Leningradki Vokzal ticket office.

The same seated fast trains depart St Petes most days of the week. I try to use the Nevski Express both ways mainly because the time suites me and the restaraunt service is better than the Aurora.

PM me if you do end up on the Nevski Express tomorrow.

MissAnnElk
15-06-2008, 20:18
it was impossible!
We had to wait, wait and wait. In one hour the woman was able to sell two tickets! so next time...
Hope to find the way via internet...:)

Thanks all...

But it's high season now, right? White Nights? I expect much will be sold out . . .

Katrine L
15-06-2008, 20:28
But it's high season now, right? White Nights? I expect much will be sold out . . .

There is some way out - to come to conductor of the train that going to depart with your russian friend and ask the conductor to take you on board. Usually they ask a ticket price. Of course, you will not get any ticket but you will definetely reach your destination point. It is safe. Sometimes they give you places even better then if you buy a ticket for the same price. I've practiced this plenty times when I need to travel but there were no tickets at ticket offices.

Carl
16-06-2008, 09:11
Fly.... it's cheaper:)

waves
16-06-2008, 12:38
Dilek...I missed the train on wednesday afternoon, was told by the travel agent that there were no train or air tickets available until nextr day. I took the chance and went out to Vnokova airport and had no trouble getting on one of the many flights to St Petes that night. In fact I arrived around the smae time as the train I had missed!

Dilek
16-06-2008, 23:43
Dilek...I missed the train on wednesday afternoon, was told by the travel agent that there were no train or air tickets available until nextr day. I took the chance and went out to Vnokova airport and had no trouble getting on one of the many flights to St Petes that night. In fact I arrived around the smae time as the train I had missed!

...and you paid around 15000??:yikes:

Dilek
16-06-2008, 23:47
There is some way out - to come to conductor of the train that going to depart with your russian friend and ask the conductor to take you on board. Usually they ask a ticket price. Of course, you will not get any ticket but you will definetely reach your destination point. It is safe. Sometimes they give you places even better then if you buy a ticket for the same price. I've practiced this plenty times when I need to travel but there were no tickets at ticket offices.

it sounds like a real adventure for two month moscovity...:nerd:

Katrine L
17-06-2008, 01:37
it sounds like a real adventure for two month moscovity...:nerd:

Yep, Moscow (and Russia in general)- a land of adventures..:respect: :10641:

Although I started practice that after several years of being here :):ok:

But now time's moving faster :rolleyes::10310:

waves
17-06-2008, 07:51
...and you paid around 15000??:yikes:

no....it was around 6000

tzaritsa
17-06-2008, 22:57
I don`t know if Im too late with my recomendations. If you prefer sitting
I can recommend train 814 its private train.Very good service, specially in business class. Very clean with comfortable armchears (3 in the row 2+1) nice food, drinks, tea, coffee, films demonstration. Starts from Moscow at 15.30 arrives StPete about 23

Katrine L
18-06-2008, 00:03
I can recommend train 814 its private train.Very good service, specially in business class. Very clean with comfortable armchears (3 in the row 2+1) nice food, drinks, tea, coffee, films demonstration. Starts from Moscow at 15.30 arrives StPete about 23
What is approximate price for this train travel? Where are tickets sold usually?

Dilek
18-06-2008, 00:35
no....it was around 6000

aeroflot was around 15000 two ways! what was the company?

waves
18-06-2008, 00:42
aeroflot was around 15000 two ways! what was the company?

UtAir.........I've flown with them a few times now, no complaints other than their strange practice of chrging what they cosider oversize bags by the kilo.

svelt
18-06-2008, 12:02
Where are tickets sold usually?

buy tickets for ANY russian and russian international train at ANY major rail station. places like belorusski are always busy but savelovskaya is generally quiet. in the front doors and up the stairs to left. the extra travel time from centre is worth not standing in 30 to 40 minute lines at kazanski or belorusski

waves
18-06-2008, 14:01
buy tickets for ANY russian and russian international train at ANY major rail station. places like belorusski are always busy but savelovskaya is generally quiet. in the front doors and up the stairs to left. the extra travel time from centre is worth not standing in 30 to 40 minute lines at kazanski or belorusski

Do you know what the usual requirements are to purchase international train tickets. I have tried a number of agents but they were unable to supply international tickets. I'm tring to purchase tickets from St Petes to Helsinki. I will go as you suggest to a rail station this evening.

Dilek
18-06-2008, 18:58
Do you know what the usual requirements are to purchase international train tickets. I have tried a number of agents but they were unable to supply international tickets. I'm tring to purchase tickets from St Petes to Helsinki. I will go as you suggest to a rail station this evening.

do you know do they need visa? I am planning a simliar trip also.

waves
18-06-2008, 22:37
do you know do they need visa? I am planning a simliar trip also.

Finland is part of the EU so the usual visa requitrements apply. If you are going over for a weekend like me you'll need a multiple entry visa for the RF.

Also, I tried to buy tickets from the rail station this evening as a previous poster suggested but was informed that international tickets can only be purchased through the Moscow Railway Agency. There are a number of offices in Moscow and there is some information on their website (http://www.mza.ru) (use Google to translate if necessary). I'll let you know how I get on. I really didn't expect it to be so hard to but train tickets!

tzaritsa
19-06-2008, 01:23
What is approximate price for this train travel? Where are tickets sold usually?

This train is in scadule and you can buy tickets any usual way. The price is 2.500 Rbs. Back way it goes as 813

Transparent Theatre
19-06-2008, 01:35
international tickets can only be purchased through the Moscow Railway Agency.

The staff at their office on Leningradsky Prospekt (the next building from Belorussky Vokzal, and on the same side - you have to walk over the bridge that crosses the prigorodny part of the station to get there - are extremely helpful and friendly. They even found me a discount I didn't realise I was entitled to :) English spoken.

Dilek
20-06-2008, 15:02

where can I buy the tickets, any English speaking office or internet?

waves
20-06-2008, 21:02
where can I buy the tickets, any English speaking office or internet?

Dilek...personally I've had no luck buying air or train tickets over the net. If someone knows a site with secure purchase for credit cards that works I'm all ears.

I've always had to use an agent (mainly to avoid the queuing time) or go myself to the train station.

The worst part of going to the ticket office yourself is the queuing. Take a Russian speaking friend or colleauge with you and you'll be fine. Some of the ticket officers speak a little English especially if you try a little Russian yourself. Get someone to write down the train numbers and dates if you go alone.

There are a few websites that publish the train schedules in English, after that its up to you to choose whether to save a nights accomodation cost in St Petes by using an overnight train or take a fast train and arrive around 11pm (assuming you leave after woork). At the moment its the height of the tourist season, hotels are hard to find in St Petes. If you decide to take an overnight, splash out on a first class coupe (only 2 bed), usually around 5000 rubles.

Good luck and if you are really stuck pm me

svelt
21-06-2008, 15:34
i have always provided only a passport for both internal and international tickets. i have been to tallin and helsinki this way. belorussia needs a visa anyone planing for there should be aware.
good luck, once you been once you will see its kewl.

ps this is the current situation not years ago.. anyone in the station sending you to an agent is doing so to get commission personally. it is true that the station staff will only have extremely limited if any english but then this is russia and the word helsinki is pretty universal.

as you want helsinki though i can explain exactly where to go. at tri vogzal go straight in the main front door to leningradski station and up the steps. in the first hall where there are ticket windows go to the end of the hall BUT NOT THROUGH THE ARCH. on your left is a flight of stairs. go up the stairs and enter room at top on the left. walk to the end of the room ignoring all the other windows. you need the window at the left side of the two facing you it is dedicated. if you can read any russian and some of it is in latin you will see the signs before you reach the stairs.

waves
22-06-2008, 19:25
Thanks Svelt........I can confirm that your advice is still current. I bought tickets to Helsinki there this Saturday morning. Wish I'd known this before I wasted so much time at Kievshaya and MZA.

rozich
04-09-2008, 21:20
I live in NY and will be traveling from St. Petersburg to Moscow in early October and would like to book seats on the Nevsky Express train. I've found some sites that will do this, but how do I know they are reliable? And what is an appropriate commission if an agent handles the transaction. One agent quoted me 42 Euros per ticket, which seemed ridiculous. But I'm wary of internet sites that I'm unfamiliar with.

If anyone has any particular site that they've used and know is trustworthy, I would appreciate your suggestions.

Thank you.
Rozi

Gypsy
04-09-2008, 22:31
Is there anyone who travelled to St. Petersburg by train. I am planning to go there for the upcoming holiday. There is an option of buying from "waytorussia". Is it safe? Seated or sleeping type trains? any experience?
Done the night train a few times. It is brilliant. My secretary has always booked the tickets for me,you have to pay cash for them.

Go for it _ it is a lovely place to visit,and the train journey is wonderful, have dinner in the dining room - all 19th Century Agatha Christie.

Reenie
05-09-2008, 09:34
I did the night train from Moscow to St Petersburg a month ago! I used Real Russia to book my tickets, they sorted everything out and turned up at my office in Moscow with the tickets (did everything by e-mail with them in English). It was very easy and didn't involve any queues (worth the additonal money).

I had a sleeping berth on the way there and I was in a cabin with another female and felt extremely safe! I got the train back that takes 4 hours and it was excellent! There was 6 people to a cabin, we all got talking and spent the time drinking! Very sociable train journey!

It's a great experience to take the train especially if you get talking to others on board!

Katrine L
05-09-2008, 11:12
I live in NY and will be traveling from St. Petersburg to Moscow in early October and would like to book seats on the Nevsky Express train. I've found some sites that will do this, but how do I know they are reliable? And what is an appropriate commission if an agent handles the transaction. One agent quoted me 42 Euros per ticket, which seemed ridiculous. But I'm wary of internet sites that I'm unfamiliar with.

If anyone has any particular site that they've used and know is trustworthy, I would appreciate your suggestions.

Thank you.
Rozi
The price for Nevsky express varies from 60 to 120 euro depending on class. broker's comission is usuall from 6 to 10-12 euro no more

BeachBum
05-09-2008, 13:20
The price for Nevsky express varies from 60 to 120 euro depending on class. broker's comission is usuall from 6 to 10-12 euro no more

Hi everybody.. I haven't taken a train to Peter in abut one year. What are curent ticket prices if purchased at Leningradskiy. a) for night sleeper trains. Cupola ili Platzkart OR b) Afternoon express.

Any help?????! ! ))) thanks!!!

Katrine L
05-09-2008, 14:09
Hi everybody.. I haven't taken a train to Peter in abut one year. What are curent ticket prices if purchased at Leningradskiy. a) for night sleeper trains. Cupola ili Platzkart OR b) Afternoon express.

Any help?????! ! ))) thanks!!!

Platzkart starts from 600rubles (800-1000 in average), coupe - from 1300 (1400-1800 average)rubles, afternoon express - see above, in roubles from 2200 to approx 4500 and higher

rozich
06-09-2008, 01:38
I'd like to thank you all for your helpful advice. I really appreciate it and now feel a lot more comfortable booking the train in advance. And I'm all about the 19th Century Agatha Christie experience...

Rozi

pjw
06-09-2008, 01:50
Good on you Rozi. Yeah it's a nice train ride, you'll perhaps be offered a sandwich box a bit like on a short flight. If you're offered a nice hot glass of tea it'll be hmmm paradise. :punk:

Katrine L
06-09-2008, 01:57
Good on you Rozi. Yeah it's a nice train ride, you'll perhaps be offered a sandwich box a bit like on a short flight. If you're offered a nice hot glass of tea it'll be hmmm paradise. :punk:
PJW, you know hot tea is not a problem at any trains now :):zoom:

pjw
06-09-2008, 02:02
If you don't know any Russian, it's a problem. My first trip from Minsk to SPB wasn't easy. Saw the others getting tea and of course wanted one too, but didn't know how to ask.

Katrine L
06-09-2008, 02:36
If you don't know any Russian, it's a problem. My first trip from Minsk to SPB wasn't easy. Saw the others getting tea and of course wanted one too, but didn't know how to ask.

Pete, probably you didn't want tea too much:) if there was a tea but you didn't know how to ask:) When you want something very much this switches on all types of creativity actually!:) - you may indicate, you may express it different ways, you may find a person who help you at least:)
People fall in love and marry sometimes even not knowing a word LOL.

Mostly I meant Moscow -SPb trains of course. I have not used to travel other routes:ok:

pjw
06-09-2008, 02:42
Pete, probably you didn't want tea too much:) if there was a tea but you didn't know how to ask:) When you want something very much this switches on all types of creativity actually!:) - you may indicate, you may express it different ways, you may find a person who help you at least:)
People fall in love and marry sometimes even not knowing a word LOL.

Mostly I meant Moscow -SPb trains of course. I have not used to travel other routes:ok:

Hi Katrine,
Believe me I love tea and I wanted a tea at that moment more than anything in the world. I used hand and foot to get it but I was in a bad condition, tired, first time in RF etc :nut:

Katrine L
06-09-2008, 02:55
Hi Katrine,
Believe me I love tea and I wanted a tea at that moment more than anything in the world. I used hand and foot to get it but I was in a bad condition, tired, first time in RF etc :nut:

Yep, long live, long learn:boxing: Sorry if sounded offensive :)

Gypsy
06-09-2008, 10:00
I have always had a private compartment for two people, don't know the name in russian,and they give you a picnic box of blinis and caviar etc and a choice of free drinks-I still have the brandy I got on the last trip back.

I have found the conductors, who tend to be ladies, are very discrete and try not to disturb you,so if you do want something it is best to leave the door a little open, then they know they can knock safely.

One word of warning -if you take the 11.30pm train you will arrive in SP very early in the morning and there is not much open. You may have to store your luggage at the station-it is easy, I've done it and I don't speak Russian - and find somewhere for breakfast.

That is not as easy as it sounds, but halfway down Nevsky on the right hand side,on a corner is a Cafe/Bar with the menus painted on the wall in the style of the Periodic Table. Try and find it, it is fun, and one of the few places open,

Have a good trip-and take the hydrofoil to the Peterhof.

BeachBum
06-09-2008, 11:09
"chai moshna",,,,,or "chai pozhalsta".......not too difficult russian.

pjw
06-09-2008, 11:20
"chai moshna",,,,,or "chai pozhalsta".......not too difficult russian.

Thankyou beachbum.
But I'm not a complete vegetable you know. I just didn't get the system at first. Couple of guys arrive back in the compartment with tea or the lady brought it in I can't remember and I didn't realise it was free. I was wondering how much that costs, oh doesn't matter anyway as I didn't have any Belorussian rubles yet. So I just watched enviously at first.

rozich
08-09-2008, 03:06
I'm a big tea drinker so that's good to know. Also, chai seems easy to remember. this reminds me, I'll have to get one of those picture books for pointing at what you want, ham and eggs, piece of broccoli, etc., hopefully tea is in there too.

waves
08-09-2008, 17:06
I'm not sure about the international trains but chai on the Nevsky Express served in a glass with the attactive metal holder costs 20 rubles.

Rozich I travel on the Nevsky Express regularly, language is not a problem. They even have an English menue in the restaurant car.