PDA

View Full Version : Private/Homestay visa

DBG
05-06-2008, 17:40
Hi, I know there are a lot of people at this forum who have family (husband/wife) in Russia and I wanted to pick your brains on the subject of private visas.

My situation is this: I was in the process of changing jobs when the dreadful news came that they are no longer issuing work permits to foreigners, so I'm sort of stuck in the middle, my old visa will expire soon and I can't get a new work permit. Because I want, no need, to stay in Russia it seems that the only thing I can do is to get a new visa but one without work permit, as I can manage (moneywise) to live here without an income.

I'm not keen on paying lots for a 3 month single entry business visa, so I'm wondering, how easy is it to get a private visa? What is required? I've been looking around the internet and there isn't very much information on how to go about inviting someone.

I should add that my husband is Russian and owns his own flat, so I assume he can invite me. (And please, please, don't say: 'just get a TRP', because that takes a good six months and I'm still waiting on my police check)

rgreen
06-06-2008, 20:31
can not be much help as I have a bad memory.

My ex went to the local police station to apply. It took about 6 weeks I think. And I think it is like a tourist visa in that it may only be good for 30 days.

sorry this is so vague. I only wrote because there were no answers yet.

there is a special name for this invitation but I do not know it.

Also, I did this a few years ago so much could have changed.

Hope this note will inspire someone to give you better info.

Proper Bostonian
07-06-2008, 08:28
Hi DBG,

I too looked into this for myself & my (Russian) husband & I once did a homestay visa for his niece from a CIS country.

You need to apply at your local passportny stol (police station). As I recall it does take 4-6 weeks & yes, it's very cheap. However, it is true that it can onyl be for a one month stay. I need a new visa this month & considered this option, but can't afford to be limited to one month. I've chosen to do a 3 month business visa. Cost for invitation from Liga Consulting is only $45. Of course, you still have the cost of the visa itself, but you might want to consider this option.

Good luck!

DBG
10-06-2008, 11:32
Thanks so much for the info, both of you. I was sure a private visa could last for three months... so this wasn't the best news. Does Liga really deal with private individuals? They told my husband that they only deal with organisations.

Proper Bostonian
10-06-2008, 11:37
Thanks so much for the info, both of you. I was sure a private visa could last for three months... so this wasn't the best news. Does Liga really deal with private individuals? They told my husband that they only deal with organisations.

I spoke with my husband about this is he said I'm mistaken - that a homestay can be for 3 months. Check with your local passportny stol to confirm which is correct.

Liga can not help you with a private stay. However, if you tell them you need a 3 month business visa they can help.

Sorry if I gave misinformation... Do let us know which is correct.

DBG
10-06-2008, 11:55
Thanks, I hope it is 3 months. About Liga though, have you gotten a business visa with them without being attached to an organisation?