PDA

View Full Version : VISA FOR UK CITIZEN - HELSINKI or TALLINN ?

IanUK
27-05-2008, 11:53
Hi,

Does anyone have any recent experience of getting a Russian visa for a UK citizen from the Russian consulates in either Helsinki or Tallinn ?

(Flying back to London is expensive and inconvenient.)

I'd really appreciate any feedback you have on your experiences and my possible chances.

Just as a bit of background I'm living in St. Petersburg with my wife (my Business Visa expires next month).

As the rules have changes I will now apply for 3 month private visa. I already have the invitation.

I have also applied for temporary residence permit, but I gather this can take many months to process.

Thanks in advance,

Ian

Larry Paradine
28-05-2008, 23:09
I'm afraid my experience (of the visa service at Tallinn) isn't recent: I got visas there in May 2006 and April 2007, and much may have changed in the meantime. Generally, the service was efficient, quite fast with same day processing for urgent visas (in 2006 you had to wait 48 hours to use the visa, also a syphilis test was required, but not in 2007) and a separate window to deal with the professional couriers with their suitcases full of visa applications, thereby reducing the time spent queuing by personal applicants. I have to go on a visa run soon and have heard discouraging stories of mandatory 10 working day waits at ALL Russian consulates, so will also be grateful for any recent updates on the state of affairs at Tallinn.

Bels
28-05-2008, 23:35
Look up the London Russian Embassy site, I still don't see any changes for Brits, and this might have something to do with Britain refusing to sign the Schengan agreement, as well as Denmark and Ireland. You may well still have a six month visa. I also believe you will get a sameday visa service there, but I'm not sure you will from the other countries mentioned.

If I were you, I would look up the London web-site, and then phone them.

Here's their site, and apparently nothing has changed appart from chelsea and Man united supporters not needing a visa, just a football ticket.

Even so, I have found the London Russian Embassy the most efficient, some say they are rude, but they are efficient, and they do answer the telephone and e-mail with great efficiency and with accurate info. Try them, and also try the other embassies for comparison for the answers to your questions.

Консульский отдел Посольства России в Лондоне (http://rusemblon.org/)

Bels
28-05-2008, 23:41
Is it such a big difference of travel, price and time? If you shop around for a decent flight ticket to London. Keep shopping I say. Do it now though, as we are moving into peak period. Try and book now, as I think July and August will be expensive.

Perhaps some expert can show him a cheap deal for London. My wife would know, as a tour operator, but as usual she's busy with our little boy.

IanUK
01-06-2008, 16:39
Thanks to everyone for the info.

I've decided to return to London for my Visa as Bels suggested.

It will cost 16000 rubles for the flight, but I will have peace of mind that as a UK citizen they won't turn me away at the Russian consulate.

I also read on the website that I can get sameday service (for extra fee).

Still, it's a pity to spend so much money on stupid piece of paper - which in my case will only last for 3 months. What I'd really like to get is my temporary residence permit - but I've no idea when the authorities here will respond to the application.

I'll make another post if there is anything interesting to report once I've visited the consulate in London.

Many thanks,

Ian

Bels
01-06-2008, 17:15
Visa fee for Multi entry visa sameday is 160. I'm wondering if Brits can still get away with 6 month entry, as they refused to sign the Schengen agreement, that they have to pay more for their visa than other EU countries, otherwise you might as well go for the cheaper single three month entry visa. There is still no mention of 90 days in , and 90 days out from this site.

Here are the prices from : Russian Consulate (http://rusemblon.org/logon_en.htm)

01.06.2007. Visa fees for EU citizens to change (except UK, Ireland, Denmark)
Today Russia-EU Visa facilitation agreement comes into force. According to its provisions, visa processing fees are changed, from 01.06.2007 on, for the citizens of the following countries:

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Hungary, Greece, Spain, Italy, Cyprus, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Germany, Finland, France, Czech, Republic, Sweden, Estonia.

The fees introduced are:
For all types of visa (including multiple entry) for standard processing time — 25.00
For all types of visa (including multiple entry) for urgent processing — 50.00
Holders of diplomatic passports of the mentioned countries will not need a visa to enter Russia for 90 days. However these provisions are not valid for the countries which did not sign the Agreement: the United Kingdom, Ireland and Denmark, as well as Iceland and Norway which are not EU member states and did not sign the Agreement with Russia.

Further information will be available from our website.
16.05.2007. On May, 29 a concert of Russian Kolpakov trio will take place at Barbican Centre. More information and tickets are available through Barbican Centre website.

15.01.2007. Important notice — VISA FEES TO CHANGE
This is to announce that starting from the 12th of February, 2007 the visa processing charges are as follows:

For business, tourist, transit and private visas for citizens of all countries:
Single entry visas:
7 days visa processing and more — 45.00;
same day visa processing — 95.00;
Double entry visas:
7 days visa processing and more — 55.00;
same day visa processing — 105.00;
Multiple entry visas
7 days visa processing and more — 110.00;
same day visa processing — 160.00;
Time of collection: between 16:00 and 17:00.

Bels
01-06-2008, 17:22
Don't forget to fill your application form before you arrive, as they now want it typed online, I made this mistake, and had to rush to a computer cafe to fill one in.

You will be to fill in your application here:

Russian Consulate (http://rusemblon.org/logon_en.htm)

And best of luck with your residency application, I hope you get it soon, as I've been there, done it , I know what it's like. Not very pleasant having to go just to get a peice of paper only to come back again, at unnecassary time and expense to you and your family.

RRM
01-06-2008, 17:43
I see all good advice here. The question of this post was that he would like to have an assurance from someone who had the experience recently for getting the visa in Talinn or Helsinki.

Bels
01-06-2008, 17:52
Yes, it would be nice to hear of someone recently visiting Talinn, and to inform us of positive results. but maybe there isn't anyone.

And in theory it shouldn't be a problem for a Brit or any other EU member, and Talinn being in the EU. One good question; does Tallin give sameday visas to EU members? As they should, but that doesn't mean they do.

Bels
01-06-2008, 18:32
I cant find Talin's website, but here are some details of how to contact them. And if there are no problems of a sameday visa for EU members, then no problem. I hope they can communicate in English.

ESTONIA
Russian consulate in Tallinn: Embassy in Tallinn: 19, Pikk, EE-0200, Tallinn
Phone: +372 (2) 443-014
Fax: +372 (2) 443-773
Email: vensaat@online.ee

phoenixsampras
03-06-2008, 21:54
Wow Bels started to make the path of life of people. Great responsibility. All should thank people like him exists to support our lost souls.

Bels, have you started the permanent residency?

Visa fee for Multi entry visa sameday is 160. I'm wondering if Brits can still get away with 6 month entry, as they refused to sign the Schengen agreement, that they have to pay more for their visa than other EU countries, otherwise you might as well go for the cheaper single three month entry visa. There is still no mention of 90 days in , and 90 days out from this site.

Here are the prices from : Russian Consulate (http://rusemblon.org/logon_en.htm)

01.06.2007. Visa fees for EU citizens to change (except UK, Ireland, Denmark)
Today Russia-EU Visa facilitation agreement comes into force. According to its provisions, visa processing fees are changed, from 01.06.2007 on, for the citizens of the following countries:

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Hungary, Greece, Spain, Italy, Cyprus, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Germany, Finland, France, Czech, Republic, Sweden, Estonia.

The fees introduced are:
For all types of visa (including multiple entry) for standard processing time — 25.00
For all types of visa (including multiple entry) for urgent processing — 50.00
Holders of diplomatic passports of the mentioned countries will not need a visa to enter Russia for 90 days. However these provisions are not valid for the countries which did not sign the Agreement: the United Kingdom, Ireland and Denmark, as well as Iceland and Norway which are not EU member states and did not sign the Agreement with Russia.

Further information will be available from our website.
16.05.2007. On May, 29 a concert of Russian Kolpakov trio will take place at Barbican Centre. More information and tickets are available through Barbican Centre website.

15.01.2007. Important notice — VISA FEES TO CHANGE
This is to announce that starting from the 12th of February, 2007 the visa processing charges are as follows:

For business, tourist, transit and private visas for citizens of all countries:
Single entry visas:
7 days visa processing and more — 45.00;
same day visa processing — 95.00;
Double entry visas:
7 days visa processing and more — 55.00;
same day visa processing — 105.00;
Multiple entry visas
7 days visa processing and more — 110.00;
same day visa processing — 160.00;
Time of collection: between 16:00 and 17:00.

Bels
03-06-2008, 22:38
Wow Bels started to make the path of life of people. Great responsibility. All should thank people like him exists to support our lost souls.

Bels, have you started the permanent residency?

No not yet, I will start applying in November 2008, as I need to wait a year from my temp to apply. I will let you know of my experiences.

I also have an entrepeneurs license and have the right to work as an EFL teacher on a self employed company, I have the stamp to invoice companies or schools if I so wish. There are also other legal battles my wife and I are going through, and I will also let you know as and when we succeed, which mainly concerns our business.

IanUK
06-06-2008, 09:41
I tried to get in touch with the embassy in Helsinki, but was unsuccessful so instead I thought I would try an agency which I saw recommended on a forum somewhere.

Anyhow, here is their response to my query.

Hello!

And thank you for your inquiry.

If i understood right you dont have a residence permit to finland right now?
The visa can be issuend only if you have a valid residence permit in your passport that shows that you have been living in Finland more than 3months or if you have registrated in polise and you have registration sertificate (original) from polise.(the registration paper also has to show that you have lived in finland more than 3months)
If you have or can get another one of these, we can try to do the visa in one day,usually we get these in one day but there is no 100% guarantee, it depends on the diplomate.
All the other request we can fullfill.

With best regards
Hanna Lavikainen

Lhialuematkat
Oy Russian Tours Ltd
Vuorimiehenkatu 3
00140 HELSINKI
Tel. +358-9-6689570
Fax.+358-9-66895740
Russian Tours/Lahialuematkat (http://www.lahialuematkat.fi)
ma-pe klo 9-17

Of course I have no way of verifiying the information they provided, but I tend to believe it is accurate. I think if they could help me (I would happily pay) then I they would.

So as a result of what I've learnt in this forum and this agency's email I've booked my flight to London. What I really dread is a long queue at the Embassy - somehow I think I need to get there at least a couple of hours before they officially open :-(

Larry Paradine
06-06-2008, 12:30
The last time I used the Russian Consulate in London was nearly ten years ago. Previous experience had taught me to get there at least two hours before it opened (opening hours then were from 1000 to 1200) and to be prepared to defend my position in the queue against surprise attacks from those professional couriers who'd got there later than I had and who liased with the couriers ahead of me in the queue to organise a 10 am stampede with the object of elbowing and tripping private applicants like me, with the possible result that the displaced non-couriers might fail to get in at all before the midday deadline. Perhaps there's a better queing system in operation nowadays. Perhaps professional visa couriers have reformed into courteous practitioners of the "after you Sir or Madam" school of conduct. Perhaps Russian consulate translators now liase with their visa issuing colleagues to avoid transliterating a foreign name on a document (e.g. a certificate of non-impediment to marriage) in a different way from the visa staff's transliteration of the same surname on a visa ( ну товарищи, как лучще переводить фамиля Paradine; Парадин или Пэрадайн?) thereby sparing the hapless applicant endless subsequent arguments and convoluted explanations in assorted Russian government offices. Perhaps visa clerks nowadays tell applicants immediately if the photos submitted are unacceptable (usually because they're gloss not matt) instead of accepting all the documents (and the fee) then objecting to the photos when the applicant arrives to pick up his/her visa ten minutes before the Consulate is due to close on a Friday afternoon.... Perhaps that was a pig I just saw flying past my window.

RRM
06-06-2008, 15:31
This is what I said the last time. You might be able to get it but there are no guarantees to get it in another place other than your place of residence or nationality. You are a UK national, correct ? EU, right ?

I tried to get in touch with the embassy in Helsinki, but was unsuccessful so instead I thought I would try an agency which I saw recommended on a forum somewhere.

Anyhow, here is their response to my query.

Hello!

And thank you for your inquiry.

If i understood right you dont have a residence permit to finland right now?
The visa can be issuend only if you have a valid residence permit in your passport that shows that you have been living in Finland more than 3months or if you have registrated in polise and you have registration sertificate (original) from polise.(the registration paper also has to show that you have lived in finland more than 3months)
If you have or can get another one of these, we can try to do the visa in one day,usually we get these in one day but there is no 100% guarantee, it depends on the diplomate.
All the other request we can fullfill.

With best regards
Hanna Lavikainen

Lhialuematkat
Oy Russian Tours Ltd
Vuorimiehenkatu 3
00140 HELSINKI
Tel. +358-9-6689570
Fax.+358-9-66895740
Russian Tours/Lahialuematkat (http://www.lahialuematkat.fi)
ma-pe klo 9-17

Of course I have no way of verifiying the information they provided, but I tend to believe it is accurate. I think if they could help me (I would happily pay) then I they would.

So as a result of what I've learnt in this forum and this agency's email I've booked my flight to London. What I really dread is a long queue at the Embassy - somehow I think I need to get there at least a couple of hours before they officially open :-(

Bels
06-06-2008, 18:21
This is what I said the last time. You might be able to get it but there are no guarantees to get it in another place other than your place of residence or nationality. You are a UK national, correct ? EU, right ?

This concerns me. as he's a Brit. I would have thought that being an EU citizen with an EU passport would have been enough. Hopefully Finland and Estonia are in the EU ????? Hopefully you contacted Liga Consultants, as this is the Agency most members here recommend, including myself.

It has been proven many times here that many agenciencies don't know what they are talking about.

As a Brit with an EU passport you do have the automatic right of residence of more than three months. Hence a European passport should be sufficient evidence.

IanUK
07-06-2008, 08:15
Yes I am a British national - with a UK passport.

Theoretically I think you're right. I can live in Finland, but from the information I've seen on the Finnish immigration authority's website they would require me to register with the police if I stayed more than 90 days. In return I would get some sort of temporary residence permit. I think this is what I may be asked for at the Russian embassy.

Possibly I could try and argue the point (about being a EU citizen etc.) with the Russian embassy, or even try and get the necessary residence paper from the Finnish police. However it is in no way guaranteed, and I can't afford to take the risk. Hence my decision to return to London.

Larry's post about queues at the embassy was quite frightening. Although he does say it was 10 years ago I somehow doubt things have changed much.

Does anyone have any more recent experience of queuing at the London embassy ?

leelee
07-06-2008, 11:11
My experience with the Russian embassy in London was shit---- my advice is to get there at 0600 / 0700 and be prepaired to stand your ground---- when you get inside ( no-one is admitted after 12) make it very clear that you want same day and are prepared to pay whatever, Or you could use Andrews Agency just down the road, but are expensive

BUT as I write this my friend who is married to my wifes cousin who also lives here in Rostov On Don is, as we speak on a plane to the UK and will be in the queue 1st thing monday morning.

So on Tuesday I will have up-to-date info as to what the latest is ---- and will post it here
or if you want PM me and I will send the lastest to you

Good Luck all

Lee

IanUK
08-06-2008, 10:56
Hi Lee.

Yes, I would really appreciate the latest info. on the situation at the embassy. I'd be really grateful if you could post it on the forum when you get it.

Also you mentioned Andrews Agency - if the situation is still as bad you mentioned then I might consider using them.

Have you any experience of their services - basically the main question for me is whether they are reliable, but any info. you have would be appreciated.

Once again many thanks.

Ian

leelee
08-06-2008, 15:36
Hi

My mother used Andrews last September, and was quite happy with them. OK the cost didnt really matter she just wanted no fuss at the embassy as she is 73

The only problem she had was that either Andrews or the Embassy made a mistake with the dates on her visa----- but as soon as she told them all was sorted out

Today is Sunday, my mate should have text me by now---- but he had to travel across the UK and then buy a pay as you go sim for his phone---- so I guess he will soon

He is probably ill from overdosing on Doner Kebabs after 8 pints-- lol

Lee I will post when I know

Bels
08-06-2008, 20:30
We still haven't had personal experiences of Brits getting visas in Tallinn or Helsiki. Is there a big problem?? Are they excluding our rights that we can't go there as EU citizens for a sameday service???? For the moment it appears OK in logic, but no guarantee from the Russian Embassies, so it appears no EU member chooses to go to these places. Is this true??

Can anyone clearly state, without any doubt that a Brit or any other EU member will get a business visa on both these places, Tallin or Helsinki. As I said in theory it should be OK. BUT!!!

I didn't dare do it, and that was a year ago. I went to London. It's OK, and as tated you have to queue early, and if you don't manage to get there by 12;00 you are likely to get there between 2:00pm to 4pm. You will get there, but the queiing is a pain.
My advise, get a hotel nearby, cheapest in Kensington area, walk across Hyde Park by 7pm and you will be ok. By the time you have got your visa, you will got to know a few people within this queue, and it might be a very interesting morning.:)

Hi,

Does anyone have any recent experience of getting a Russian visa for a UK citizen from the Russian consulates in either Helsinki or Tallinn ?

(Flying back to London is expensive and inconvenient.)

I'd really appreciate any feedback you have on your experiences and my possible chances.

Just as a bit of background I'm living in St. Petersburg with my wife (my Business Visa expires next month).

As the rules have changes I will now apply for 3 month private visa. I already have the invitation.

I have also applied for temporary residence permit, but I gather this can take many months to process.

Thanks in advance,

Ian

kinoglaz
09-06-2008, 16:24
Hi IanUk,

I've just made my visa in London (and I'm italian...).

My opinion:

The cheap but tough way: try directly at the consulate, but go there really early and take something to read...

The expensive but easy way: contact an agency. As you can read in another thread, I went at starvisa services, but there are plenty in London.

Bels
09-06-2008, 21:14
So it is working for an Italian in Britain, In orther words working for an Eu member applylying in another EU countr . So in theory, h should work for an EU member applying for a visa ina any other country is in the EU But do the Russian Embassies in the EU countries or their agencies understand this? It appears not, and that is why EU members lack the confidence in going to their nearest most convenient country to apply for their visa.

Russian officials and agents should be better informed.
One big question from the previous post, you were an Italian in Britain. Yes?? Did you you have to show any form of proof of resedency in the UK apart from your EU passport?

pullar
09-06-2008, 21:28
I tried to get a visa in Poznan last week, and was told that first of all I would have to register in Poland, even though I am an EU citizen. The registration would be for 90 days and take one month to process. This is bureaucracy gone mad, because back in the days of the good old CCCP I used the Poznan Russian consulate to get a visa in a few hours, with virtually no queue.

Bels
09-06-2008, 21:50
I tried to get a visa in Poznan last week, and was told that first of all I would have to register in Poland, even though I am an EU citizen. The registration would be for 90 days and take one month to process. This is bureaucracy gone mad, because back in the days of the good old CCCP I used the Poznan Russian consulate to get a visa in a few hours, with virtually no queue.

This simply shows the confusion of Russian officials who don't know what they are doing, or cannot read law. Once they start the EU like they are The USA, perhaps they might start beginning to understand.

Where does an EU member start to get residency ???? They don't, they simply show their EU passport. In fact they don't even need their passport, a driving license or official identification will be sufficient.

WHat's going on, GET SOME TRAINING!!!! EU is like USA!!!

IanUK
10-06-2008, 07:40
In my opionion worst problem is the inconsistency of how Russian embassies apply the rules in different countries.

On one hand we have an Italian sucessfully getting a Visa in the UK, and yet on the other hand Pullar was refused and told registration was needed in Poland.

I do realise that the UK government doesn't help us Brits. They generally opt-out of any agreement that would facilitate issuing Visas, for example the Schengen agreement.

Finland seems to be doing exceptionally well out of the latest visa facilitation agreement. From what I could see Russian tourists are big spenders, and the local Finnish businesses seemed quite happy to profit from them. Pity the UK government is so shortsighted and paranoid.

svelt
13-06-2008, 22:18
i was very politely declined in tallin in november 07. the lady was near tears, believe it, after she had been to confirm with the consul if she could issue. i had an andrews invite for a multi delovaya. got sent to london where the andrews invite was refused the next day. had to get a tourist visa to return home and feed the cat.

simple answer. as a u.k. national in november 2007 tallinn refused to issue any visa.

svelt
13-06-2008, 22:26
as an afterthought i wonder if your issue is cost or the time away. if cost is not a significant issue have a london agency do the invite, when it is ready send your passport by dhl. they will put the visa in and dhl your passport back. of course you do all this while you still have a window on your current visa. you are now able to ''activate'' your visa by leaving russia at any time, to anywhere, by any means. not so long ago there was a ''service'' at sheremetyevo that for 300 usd did the in and out stamps for you. probably still exists somewhere. 300 is not a lot compared to the nite and day away from work and the travel hotel etc etc. i have used this ''service'' in the past.

Bels
14-06-2008, 00:36
i was very politely declined in tallin in november 07. the lady was near tears, believe it, after she had been to confirm with the consul if she could issue. i had an andrews invite for a multi delovaya. got sent to london where the andrews invite was refused the next day. had to get a tourist visa to return home and feed the cat.

simple answer. as a u.k. national in november 2007 tallinn refused to issue any visa.

Bad news in bold at the bottom. And for such qoutes, and I have seen many. Should we really accept Tallin as a true member of the EU. For the moment final I don't think so. And if they don't comply, I say get rid of them. Kick them out of the EU. If they don't want to be be EU members, we don't want them either. Go back to being your tiny and forgotten unknown country of Estonia, that's it

Judge
14-06-2008, 22:22
[/B]

Bad news in bold at the bottom. And for such qoutes, and I have seen many. Should we really accept Tallin as a true member of the EU. For the moment final I don't think so. And if they don't comply, I say get rid of them. Kick them out of the EU. If they don't want to be be EU members, we don't want them either. Go back to being your tiny and forgotten unknown country of Estonia, that's it

It's got nothing to do with Estonia,the rules are made up by russians and the russian embassy followers out the orders.

Bels
15-06-2008, 10:00
Ok, point taken. but why is there one rule for EU citizens in one EU country, and then another rule for EU ciizens in another EU country. Do we have different rules in one to another Russian Embassy in the USA. Is one American different from another ithe USA.

Judge
15-06-2008, 10:13
Ok, point taken. but why is there one rule for EU citizens in one EU country, and then another rule for EU ciizens in another EU country. Do we have different rules in one to another Russian Embassy in the USA. Is one American different from another ithe USA.
Because not all Russian embassies are on the same wavelength.People get told different stories from different embassies.

Larry Paradine
27-06-2008, 19:45
My next employer has just e-mailed me asking what city to tell OVIR I'll be going to for a visa, and I've specified Tallinn. To date, no contributors to this, and other expat/TEFL forums, have written in to report on the current visa situation at that consulate for UK nationals. I don't relish the thought of being the expendable scout sent to see if there's a path through the minefield but, unless someone takes the plunge before me (excuse mixed metaphors) and survives to post the forum about it, stay tuned for an update from me from Tallinn in about two or three weeks' time.

svelt
27-06-2008, 20:21
My next employer has just e-mailed me asking what city to tell OVIR I'll be going to for a visa, and I've specified Tallinn. To date, no contributors to this, and other expat/TEFL forums, have written in to report on the current visa situation at that consulate for UK nationals. I don't relish the thought of being the expendable scout sent to see if there's a path through the minefield but, unless someone takes the plunge before me (excuse mixed metaphors) and survives to post the forum about it, stay tuned for an update from me from Tallinn in about two or three weeks' time.

larry, mon ami, you are not looking very hard.

get your employer to go the liga consulting route and iron out your problems

Bels
27-06-2008, 20:47
I look forward to your answer because If I was in the same position as you as a Brit myself, I would chose London to be on the safe side. And Kensington and Hyde Park areas are my favourites in London, close areas to where you will apply for your visa. And a very enjoyable area, whether you want peace of open green nature or whether you want to mix in some great pubs nearby.

I really do hope that Tallin follows the same rules and guidelines that London offers, and therefore it would make it a very cheap and convenient place to go. But I am sceptical, and please prove me wrong as it would be great news for Europeans. And if you can bring back advice for Americans, Canadians, Australians, and other Eu members for example all the better. You are now the upto date news. For me, although I thought of Tallin, I didn't have the guts to do it, due to uncertainty reading previous posts here.

Unfortunately Russian Embassies interprete Russian laws differently depending in which Country or city you happen to be in. I do believe the london Russian Embassy guidelines are accurate, but unfortunately those same legal guidelines are not followed through in every Russian Embassy.

YES! You as an EU member have an automatic right to reside in Tallin, but will you in reality have a right to have a same day application for a visa???

Bels
27-06-2008, 21:22
larry, mon ami, you are not looking very hard.

get your employer to go the liga consulting route and iron out your problems

Ok! We keep doing it. :) What's Liga's phone number again, I've got his number somewhere, but I still can't find his email.

vantru
29-06-2008, 15:01
You Brit Guys...listen to this....

The only place, other than you country, where you can get a Visa is Ukraine but there is a little hicup.....Residency.

If you are British you can apply in Kiev for a Visa to russia but without being resident it will take, at least, 10 working days...With a residency is a same day service.(I have heard that for a fee you can work out a residency in 1 or 2 days but I have no idea who does it). I forgot....this works also for Americans with the alternative to go to England before going all the way to the USA.

EU citizen have to go back to their countries because is the smartest and cheaper way to do it because, even if you could work out the residency issue, you still have to spend, at least, a week in that country...for EU citizens same day service does not exist anymore, not even in your own country.

Cheers

Bels
29-06-2008, 15:52
You appear to be separating Brits as not being members of the EU, when in fact they are major members, and one of the big three. They also have right of residency in any EU country.

Just because Britain, Denmark, and Southern Ireland refused to sign the Schengen agreement doesn't stop them being members.

And for example, there is evidence that all EU members can get sameday visas in London (Brtain is an EU member) and Americans can get a visa within 10-14 days.

You Brit Guys...listen to this....

The only place, other than you country, where you can get a Visa is Ukraine but there is a little hicup.....Residency.

If you are British you can apply in Kiev for a Visa to russia but without being resident it will take, at least, 10 working days...With a residency is a same day service.(I have heard that for a fee you can work out a residency in 1 or 2 days but I have no idea who does it). I forgot....this works also for Americans with the alternative to go to England before going all the way to the USA.

EU citizen have to go back to their countries because is the smartest and cheaper way to do it because, even if you could work out the residency issue, you still have to spend, at least, a week in that country...for EU citizens same day service does not exist anymore, not even in your own country.

Cheers

Judge
29-06-2008, 16:05
Brits can get visas(many different visas) in Sweden,that is what I was told..I phoned to confirm and was told by a woman called Nadina,''what is written on our site is up to date''...Here's what it says on their site..

Information for citizens of the EU member states (Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Cyprus, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, The Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden).

Consular section (http://www.ryssland.se/visa_e.htm)

I was gonna do a visa run to Sweden but now I have changed my mind.I checked out the cheapest ways to get to Sweden from Moscow.I found that if you go to Riga by train from Moscow and then fly with Ryanair to stockholm ,the trip could be done for under 10,000 ru...

Bels
29-06-2008, 16:10
Wheres poor old Britain, Southern Ireland, and Denmark in your list Judge?

Judge
29-06-2008, 16:12
Wheres poor old Britain, Southern Ireland, and Denmark in your list Judge?

Well spotted Bels, the 3 countries you mentioned didn't sign the 90 day rule.....on the phone Nadina told me that Brits are ok because they are in the EU....Before anyone goes to Sweden for a visa.PHONE UP FIRST and get confirmation..

Bels
29-06-2008, 16:28
I must admit that this swedish site is not as informative or as well written as the Russian consulate in London. Will a Brit for example be able to get a visa on the sameday of application?

I noticed also that this consulate doesn't accept postal applications, whereas London does. It just shows you that every consulate is different.

Also there was a good tip there. Never purchase an invitation through the internet. Perhaps that's why some applicants have been refused recently.

rumson
29-06-2008, 23:15
I obtained a one-year multiple entry business visa from the Russian Embassy in London last month. I did not have to have an HIV test. The visa however does have the 90 day restriction on it. The Embassy offers a number of services. My colleague got a six month one recently; it too had the 90 day limit on it.

Bels
30-06-2008, 01:29
I obtained a one-year multiple entry business visa from the Russian Embassy in London last month. I did not have to have an HIV test. The visa however does have the 90 day restriction on it. The Embassy offers a number of services. My colleague got a six month one recently; it too had the 90 day limit on it.

Thanks for that, as you are now a clear statement that the new unfortunate Russian laws are coming through. Even for Britain, who didn't accept such an agreement.

I personally think that such agreements are not doing Russia any good, and in fact I do really feel that due to their red tape interference. that they have already caused themselves a lot of damage, in regards to incoming investmentey . Now if they want to believe that they are totally great for the near future in natural resources of for example oil and gas, well that's their problem. It won't be the first time that they have been within themselves, and hasn't known what the rest of the world was upto.

Sumarokov-Elston
30-06-2008, 09:42
If like me you are a Brit and you are not sure of what consulate will do your visa and which one will not, would it not be better to use London through an agency? I know that Star Visa Services can do a one-year visa for roughly 400 pounds (including invitation), price reduced if you have your own invitation from someone like Vadim of Liga. I have never used them, but I think I would rather go that way than put all my faith in one particular consulate outside the UK. Does anyone agree? You don't have to go to London if the agency allows you to post your passport etc to them and you pay for return postage by a courier company.

Bels
30-06-2008, 12:19
If like me you are a Brit and you are not sure of what consulate will do your visa and which one will not, would it not be better to use London through an agency? I know that Star Visa Services can do a one-year visa for roughly 400 pounds (including invitation), price reduced if you have your own invitation from someone like Vadim of Liga. I have never used them, but I think I would rather go that way than put all my faith in one particular consulate outside the UK. Does anyone agree? You don't have to go to London if the agency allows you to post your passport etc to them and you pay for return postage by a courier company.

Yes, due to uncertainty from Russian Embassies of their laws throughout EU, it seems best for a Brit to go to London. Most certainly use Liga for reliable invitations. But looks like I didn't need an agent in London. So I saved myself a few hundred s by going to the consul myself and getting my visa on the sameday. You can also use their postal service if you wish, rather than queue up in the morning.

Sumarokov-Elston
30-06-2008, 14:29
I was meaning use the postal service from outside the UK. Instead of dragging yourself to London and paying for an expensive hotel, leave Russia and have a cheap holiday in Tallinn, for instance, all the while the visa gets done in the UK.

Bels
30-06-2008, 15:04
I'm not so sure if that's possible. Great! If you can do it.

IanUK
01-07-2008, 00:42
Just a quick update on the situation at the London embassy.

I arrived at 7:45am (45 mins early for opening time of 8:30am). There were already about 25 people in the queue.

It was 9:45 by the time I submitted and paid for my visa application.

So, basically a 2 hour wait.

The staff were helpful and friendly.

When I left at 9:45 there were approx. 50 people in the queue.

There didn't seem to be any problem with couriers. They have a special dedicated counter so the general public don't get stuck behind someone with a bundle of passports.

You queue on the street and the security staff only let a few people in at one time through a turnstile. For me it was OK - nice sunny day, but I imagine it's not very nice in the winter.

Collection is from 4pm to 5pm. I arrived at 3pm and was second in the queue. By the time they opened I estimate there were about 30 people behind me. Again not problems - quickly given my visa and asked to check it at a desk further back in the room so as not to hold up the queue.

Again no problem with couriers. They arrived at about 3:30 and were let in to collect their batches earlier and at a different turnstile.

All in all - not as bad as I had feared.

Still it's a real shame that Europe (incl. UK) and Russia can't sort out an easier system for both EU and Russian nationals.

Bels
01-07-2008, 10:41
Thank you IanUK, same as I have experienced. Let's get rid of the myths.

hot jock
01-07-2008, 15:57
[QUOTE=IanUK;399871]In my opionion worst problem is the inconsistency of how Russian embassies apply the rules in different countries.

Ian also UK citizen living in St Pete , I used Andrews last month they were excellent , sent a courier to the airport to meet me and then returned visa/passport next day to hotel.. courier was an extra 70 but well worth it.

svelt
01-07-2008, 16:17
[QUOTE=IanUK;399871]In my opionion worst problem is the inconsistency of how Russian embassies apply the rules in different countries.

Ian also UK citizen living in St Pete , I used Andrews last month they were excellent , sent a courier to the airport to meet me and then returned visa/passport next day to hotel.. courier was an extra 70 but well worth it.
andrews are crap now.. absolute crap. read what i posted elsewhere. maybe jock you are part of a large corporate customer for them but for me they are crap. for 13 years they did my visas and for my staff. when london refused one of there invites last november they declined (to put it mildly) to either assist or reimburse. steer clear of andrews travel house go the liga route as suggested by many many experienced posters in these forums.
in any case glad you and ian got sorted. when will these hassles ease?

Bels
01-07-2008, 16:21

But Ian and also I did it ourselves. You can also do it reliably yourself by post if you have seven days to spare.

I have seen posts here where people have used agents, and had there visas refused, so I trust myself to get it done more than an agent. But the idea of a courier sounds ok, if you can't be bothered to queue.

Larry Paradine
11-07-2008, 20:46
I'm afraid the doomsayers were right! I was refused a visa at the Tallinn consulate yesterday, by the same lady who served me last year and was clearly embarrassed by the situation. I quote what I was told: All Russian consulates have instructions to tell British passport holders to return to Britain and apply for visas at the Consulate in Russia.

I'd allowed myself to be lulled into a false sense of security by the fact that OVIR in Samara issued a priglasheniya even though I'd stated Tallinn as the visa point. Surely, I thought, the Interior Ministry must know if the Foreign Ministry has changed the rules of the game. Evidently not!

Bels
11-07-2008, 21:36
I'm afraid the doomsayers were right! I was refused a visa at the Tallinn consulate yesterday, by the same lady who served me last year and was clearly embarrassed by the situation. I quote what I was told: All Russian consulates have instructions to tell British passport holders to return to Britain and apply for visas at the Consulate in Russia.

I'd allowed myself to be lulled into a false sense of security by the fact that OVIR in Samara issued a priglasheniya even though I'd stated Tallinn as the visa point. Surely, I thought, the Interior Ministry must know if the Foreign Ministry has changed the rules of the game. Evidently not!

Do you have any idea why this happened. Don't they recognise that both countries are in the EU?

I'm rather confused with these laws, but not surprised. Or perhaps it's the officials who work in these embassies, are confused with their own Russian laws.

Sumarokov-Elston
11-07-2008, 22:34
Although, from some of the other postings, it would seem that there are exceptions - Stockholm and Kiev seem to do visas for UK citizens.

Bels
11-07-2008, 22:41
Although, from some of the other postings, it would seem that there are exceptions - Stockholm and Kiev seem to do visas for UK citizens.

Exceptions, or is it that they know what they are talking about, and they know what they are doing.

Kiev is not in the EU, so I would imagine Brits can't have same day visas.

Larry Paradine
14-07-2008, 01:39
As I understand it, Britain is one of three pariah countries (the others being Denmark and Ireland) in the EU who didn't sign the Scheveningen (?spelling?) Treaty; Russia and the rest of the EU have recently agreed to simplify the visa rules vis a vis each other, and so Brits, Irish and Danes are being penalised for their governments' refusal to open their borders to anyone and everyone who arrives from somewhere in the EU.

I've heard several conflicting stories about the Kiev situation, which is why I've now arrived in London rather than take a chance for the second time in as many days.

Bels
14-07-2008, 13:29
I can't see where the Brits have been penalised, apart from not getting a discount on their visa.

Who on earth would sign for ninety days in, and ninety and days out visas.

Or why should the richest countries in the EU, who are the most popular for immigration, suddenly allow any European country in the Schengen agreement make such a decision as to allow anybody who is not an EU citizen enter Britain, without a British visa for example.

So, who is at advantage with this Schengen agreement in regards to westerners entering Russia. Because as far as I can see, the EU members have lost out on this agreement.

RRM
14-07-2008, 17:35
The Schengen agreement is probably for those citizen needing a visa to enter Europe. Crossing borders in Europe becomes easy and otherwise can be a pain if the ones requiring visas to Europe have to get an individual visa from all these countries. Just imagine a Russian national wanting to travel from Sweden to Italy for a holiday. If the person gets a Schengen visa from the country that he lands first, then its all set. Otherwise they have to get a visa for Sweden, France, Luxembourg..etc etc

So, who is at advantage with this Schengen agreement in regards to westerners entering Russia. Because as far as I can see, the EU members have lost out on this agreement.

Bels
14-07-2008, 19:20
The Schengen agreement is probably for those citizen needing a visa to enter Europe. Crossing borders in Europe becomes easy and otherwise can be a pain if the ones requiring visas to Europe have to get an individual visa from all these countries. Just imagine a Russian national wanting to travel from Sweden to Italy for a holiday. If the person gets a Schengen visa from the country that he lands first, then its all set. Otherwise they have to get a visa for Sweden, France, Luxembourg..etc etc

So what incentive does an EU member country have in agreeing to such an agreement, and receiving in return 90 days in and ninety days out.

In this case, it appears that the British weren't so stupid after all, in disagreeing with such an agreement.