PDA

View Full Version : working life

INRI
13-05-2004, 12:54
A question for anyone who feels like answering: am I abnormal in believing that spending the majority of my waking hours in a seated position in front of a computer screen is an unnatural, unfulfilling, and unhealthy way to live? And isn't the habit of artificially interrupting my sleep and forcing myself out of bed when my organism resists it, day after day, also unnatural and unhealthy? I've been doing this for the best part of a year, and I'm beginning to realise that the more a person follows this routine (irrespective of their profession, ranking, and bank balance), the more haggard, passive, and worthless they become. Does nobody share this view? And can anyone suggest a viable alternative?

Random
13-05-2004, 12:56
Lion taming ????

INRI
13-05-2004, 12:58
Interesting. Does it pay?

P.I.M.P.
13-05-2004, 13:04
Ask Roy of Siegfried and Roy.

Random
13-05-2004, 13:09
Originally posted by P.I.M.P.
Ask Roy of Siegfried and Roy.

Wasn't that tigers ???

P.I.M.P.
13-05-2004, 13:09
Lions, Tigers, and Bears... Same Sh*t

INRI
13-05-2004, 13:14
actually I think they've closed down or retired.

Random
13-05-2004, 13:20
I was thinking more along the lines of .....

Counsellor: Ah Mr Anchovy. Do sit down.

Anchovy: Thank you. Take the weight off the feet, eh?

Counsellor: Yes, yes.

Anchovy: Lovely weather for the time of year, I must say.

Counsellor: Enough of this gay banter. And now Mr Anchovy, you asked us to advise you which job in life you were best suited for.

Anchovy: That is correct, yes.

Counsellor: Well I now have the results here of the interviews and the aptitude tests that you took last week, and from them we've built up a pretty clear picture of the sort of person that you are. And I think I can say, without fear of contradiction, that the ideal job for you is chartered accountancy.

Anchovy: But I am a chartered accountant.

Counsellor: Jolly good. Well back to the office with you then.

Anchovy: No! No! No! You don't understand. I've been a chartered accountant for the last twenty years. I want a new job. Something exciting that will let me live.

Counsellor: Well chartered accountancy is rather exciting isn't it?

Anchovy: Exciting? No it's not. It's dull. Dull. Dull. My God it's dull, it's so desperately dull and tedious and stuffy and boring and des-per-ate-ly DULL.

Counsellor: Well, er, yes Mr Anchovy, but you see your report here says that you are an extremely dull person. You see, our experts describe you as an appallingly dull fellow, unimaginative, timid, lacking in initiative, spineless, easily dominated, no sense of humour, tedious company and irrepressibly drab and awful. And whereas in most professions these would be considerable drawbacks, in chartered accountancy they are a positive boon.

Anchovy: But don't you see, I came here to find a new job, a new life, a new meaning to my existence. Can't you help me?

Counsellor: Well, do you have any idea of what you want to do?

Anchovy: Yes, yes I have.

Counsellor: What?

Anchovy: (boldly) Lion taming.

Counsellor: Well yes. Yes. Of course, it's a bit of a jump isn't it? I mean, er, chartered accountancy to lion taming in one go. You don't think it might be better if you worked your way toward lion taming, say, via banking...

Anchovy: No, no, no, no. No, I donít want to wait. At nine oíclock tomorrow I want to be in there, taming.

Counsellor: Fine, fine. But do you, do you have any qualifications?

Anchovy: Yes, I've got a hat

Counsellor: A hat?

Anchovy: Yes, a hat. A lion taming hat. A hat with 'lion tamer' on it. I got it at Harrods. And it lights up saying 'lion tamer' in great big neon letters, so that you can tame them after dark when they're less stroppy.

Counsellor: I see, I see.

Anchovy: And you can switch it off during the day time, and claim reasonable wear and tear as allowable professional expenses under paragraph 335C ...

Counsellor: Yes, yes, yes, I do follow, Mr Anchovy, but you see the snag is ... if I now call Mr Chipperfield and say to him, 'look here, I've got a forty-five-year-old chartered accountant with me who wants to become a lion tamer', his first question is not going to be 'does he have his own hat?' He's going to ask what sort of experience you've had with lions.

Anchovy: Well I ... I've seen them at the zoo.

Counsellor: Good, good, good.

Anchovy: Little brown furry things with short stumpy legs and great long noses. I don't know what all the fuss is about, I could tame one of those. They look pretty tame to start with.

Counsellor: And these, er, these lions ... how high are they?

Anchovy: (indicating a height of onefoot) Well they're about so high, you know. They don't frighten me at all.

Counsellor: Really. And do these lions eat ants?

Anchovy: Yes, that's right.

Counsellor: Er, well, Mr Anchovy ... I'm afraid what you've got hold of there is an anteater.

Anchovy: A what?

Counsellor: An anteater. Not a lion. You see a lion is a huge savage beast, about five feet high, ten feet long, weighing about four hundred pounds, running forty miles per hour, with masses of sharp pointed teeth and nasty long razor-sharp claws that can rip your belly open before you can say 'Eric Robinson', and they look like this.

The Counsellor produces large picture of a lion and shows to Mr Anchovy who screams and passes out.

Random
13-05-2004, 13:22
Counsellor: Time enough I think for a piece of wood.
CAPTION: 'THE LARCH'

Picture of a tree.

Voice Over The larch.

Cut back to office: Mr Anchovy sits up with a start.

Counsellor Now, shall I call Mr Chipperfield?

Anchovy: Er, no, no, no. I think your idea of making the transition to lion taming via easy stages, say via insurance ...

Counsellor: Or banking.

Anchovy: Or banking, yes, yes, banking that's a man's life, isn't it? Banking, travel, excitement, adventure, thrills, decisions affecting people's lives.

Counsellor: Jolly good, well, er, shall I put you in touch with a bank?

Anchovy: Yes.

Counsellor: Fine.

Anchovy: Er ... no, no, no. Look, er, it's a big decision, I'd like a couple of weeks to think about it ... er ... you know, don't want to jump into it too quickly. Maybe three weeks. I could let you know definitely then, I just don't want to make this definite decision. I'm er ... (continues muttering nervously to himself)

Counsellor: (turning to camera) Well this is just one of the all too many cases on our books of chartered accountancy. The only way that we can fight this terrible debilitating social disease, is by informing the general public of its consequences by showing young people that it's just not worth it. So, so please ... give generously ... to this address: The League for Fighting Chartered Accountancy, 55 Lincoln House, Basil Street, London SW3.

pengwn9
13-05-2004, 13:40
INRI, you're absolutely right. But making a living whilst avoiding the grey cubicle flourescent lit office is very hard. It can be done. I spent my whole life avoiding jobs like that. Since I've been in Russia I've turned down jobs like that. I've always worked, but never made the kind of money I would have, had I been willing to sit in a chair all day.

But once you decide that you will not spend you life in a grey cubicle, you look around to see what the alternatives are. I spent 25 years in the public transit and trucking industries. I also worked in the nursery business (trees and plants, not kids). It's all hard work. You're out in the heat and the rain. There is never an easy day when you can put your feet up and drink coffee.

Although I never had the training, skilled labor (the blue collar type) is an alternative. I always thought it would be neat to be a tile setter. I don't see any women in Russia doing it, but in America there are more and more women in the construction industry. The landscape business can be very lucrative. But again, you've gotta have a lot of grit to get up at 6 in the morning and start digging and mowing when it's freezing cold outside.

There is the physical fitness industry. PE teachers, martial arts, personal trainers. One of my favorite people I've ever known was the guy who used to fix my bicycle. He had his own little business and was a happy happy guy.

The big issue is money. Desk jobs pay better and come with better benefits.

Filimon
13-05-2004, 15:42
Hmmm... very interesting

In my days as a merchant navy officer, I had to do a lot of stuff: navigation, astronomy, using electronic devices, office paperwork, chart corrections, oversseeing mooring operations, taking part in mooring operations, night watches, day watches, more paperwork, cargo measurements and quality control, load/discharge operations... etc. etc. etc. That was a job of just one man! I visited over 30 countries and saw the sights I don't think I will ever see again.

Yet, the overall mood of the job was that being at sea was..."an unnatural, unfulfilling, and unhealthy way to live":), that "a man should live ashore". There was an intrinsic craving for a desk job amongst most of the officers. :)

Kastrator
13-05-2004, 15:45
Originally posted by Random
Wasn't that tigers ???

White tigers, to be exact. For the sad story of the white tiger, inbred by man for the sake of cheap entertainment and getting people to visit zoos, click here:

http://www.bigcatrescue.org/white_tigers.htm

rantandrave
13-05-2004, 15:54
INRI-
you are absolutely right. humans were never meant to work desk jobs, and it is unhealthy in many aspects. as has already been pointed out, though, you have to make a lot of sacrifices to make your living another way. there are lots of alternatives - teaching, journalism (well, that depends on your approach of course), the arts... but there are also a lot of ways to make your life more bearable if you are stuck for the time being in an office job. some things that have (and continue to) helped me are: yoga - this addresses many of the issues you mentioned - physical, mental, emotional. meditation - self-explanatory. exercise - doesnt help the emotional as much as yoga, in my opinion, but any form of exercise will also improve your mental well-being. spending time outside - you might have to spend 8 hrs a day or more in an office, but if you get outside when you can, i guarantee it will improve your overall mood.

Alethea
13-05-2004, 15:59
Originally posted by rantandrave
INRI-
spending time outside - you might have to spend 8 hrs a day or more in an office, but if you get outside when you can, i guarantee it will improve your overall mood.

I noticed that parks and gardens have a calming influence on me. two hours of walking among the green trees and I 'm a new person:)

lyndsay
13-05-2004, 16:00
an English teacher..........

peyote
13-05-2004, 16:28
labour, originally from latin, means "suffering"

some interesting points here...
http://deoxy.org/tcrime.htm#work

enjoy ;)

Alethea
13-05-2004, 16:33
Originally posted by peyote
labour, originally from latin, means "suffering"

enjoy ;)

are you in labour, peyote? how very strange!:confused: :D

is it a boy or a girl?

peyote
13-05-2004, 16:49
yeap, and that's how they got me... i started to scream in spanish: es una niña! una niña! soy mamá!
:D
stirliz anyone?

peyote
13-05-2004, 16:53
by the way, i brought you a souvenir from barcelona and sent it to your previous address. hope you get it and you like it ;)

Alethea
13-05-2004, 18:10
[looking down at peyote dubiously]

now that's weird!