PDA

View Full Version : Stockmans at Smolenskaya closed

RIKO
25-05-2008, 17:00
I see that Stockmans at Smolensky Passazh has shut down. I know there had been a dispute over the rental with the building owners but can't say if that is the reason for the closing the store. This is the end of an era and the loss of a good service. We're now more than ever at the mercy of Sedmoi Kontinent.

MissAnnElk
25-05-2008, 17:05
Here's what I know:

The Moscow Times - Without Lights, Stockmann Closes Its Doors (http://www.moscowtimes.ru/article/1010/42/362705.htm)

kapione
25-05-2008, 17:39
I see that Stockmans at Smolensky Passazh has shut down. I know there had been a dispute over the rental with the building owners but can't say if that is the reason for the closing the store. This is the end of an era and the loss of a good service. We're now more than ever at the mercy of Sedmoi Kontinent.

there are more Stockmans, in the Barrikadnya Metro area

RIKO
25-05-2008, 17:40
Here's what I know:

The Moscow Times - Without Lights, Stockmann Closes Its Doors (http://www.moscowtimes.ru/article/1010/42/362705.htm).. I see they have now gone the final step and are packing up the stores. Losing Stockmans will be a great inconvenience for people living in the center. We don't know the facts, and am not saying it happened in this case, but it disgusting the way these landlords resort to crude threats (turning off the power etc) when they don't get their way.
I

Albertina
25-05-2008, 18:44
didn't they have a loyalty card or co-branded card... all the points were lost then...

xSnoofovich
25-05-2008, 20:16
just use utkanos - they deliver to your door for 100 ru, and you can order online. Сеть магазинов Утконос (http://www.utkanos.ru)

25-05-2008, 21:00
.. I see they have now gone the final step and are packing up the stores. Losing Stockmans will be a great inconvenience for people living in the center. We don't know the facts, and am not saying it happened in this case, but it disgusting the way these landlords resort to crude threats (turning off the power etc) when they don't get their way.
I

Yes and no. As far as I know (But not sure at 200%!) Stockman did not respect a decision of a Court in a litigation with the landlord. So the landlord had to take measures to get his premises back. He could have sent "security guards" like it happens sometimes, he preferred a softer manner... Landlords are not always wrong, sometimes the tenant is.

MissAnnElk
25-05-2008, 21:03
Yes and no. As far as I know (But not sure at 200%!) Stockman did not respect a decision of a Court in a litigation with the landlord. So the landlord had to take measures to get his premises back. He could have sent "security guards" like it happens sometimes, he preferred a softer manner... Landlords are not always wrong, sometimes the tenant is.

The story I read says, "The dramatic move [turning off their power] came after Stockmann won a decision in Moscow's International Commercial Arbitration Court on April 30 forcing the mall's owner, Smolensky Passazh, a subsidiary of Mosstroiekonombank, to allow the firm to exercise an option on a new 10-year lease."

Sounds like the landlord did not respect the Court's decision.

RIKO
25-05-2008, 21:40
Like I said, I don't know the details or merits of the court decision and it doesn't matter whether or not either party "respects" a court decision. The point I make is that there are more civilized remedies available in a society where the rule of law is strong.

26-05-2008, 07:40
Like I said, I don't know the details or merits of the court decision and it doesn't matter whether or not either party "respects" a court decision. The point I make is that there are more civilized remedies available in a society where the rule of law is strong.

Agreed, but think if you are the landlord: It takes time to go to Court, and during this time you lose millions of dollars if the tenant does not pay. Turning off the electricity is a "pacific" way, some years ago he should probably have sent armed guards! I know that if I have such conflict with a tenant, and if I already got a Court order, I won't wait anymore to take the appropriate measures to get my premise available.

I know that in the west it is common to use all possibilities of the juridical procedures and the long delays of Justice to make obstruction to a first court order.
Why not, as long as the plaintiff is not hurt by this, IF he already received a positive order from a court.

Gypsy
26-05-2008, 08:17
Guest you wrote:
: Stockman did not respect a decision of a Court in a litigation with the landlord. It is the landlord that is the wrong here 100%

There is no suggestion - even by the landlord - that stockman did not pay the rent; they did. The landlord lost his case in the court and resorted to crude extortion, which seems to have worked.

What is very clear from what the landlord has said is that he wants a tenant (or tenants) who will pay far more than the rate stockman can afford to pay.

Briolette.
26-05-2008, 09:35
Stockman is not the only one who has been experiencing problems with the landlord in question. About a year ago or so the World Class gym nearly had to be closed as well due to the landlords' intentions to increase the rent beyond their ability to pay. They reached an agreement at the end but the uncertainty has remained and it wouldn't be much of a surprise should they decide to move out soon as well. The said landlord is clearly not a good partner for long-term relationships as he will want to increase the rent every time when the market prices go up, regardless of any contract he/she (have no idea who this is all about) might have signed.

kapione
26-05-2008, 12:16
greed greed is everywhere like pigs at a troft ! I didnt think Stockmans was great...personally I wont miss that store

normal rules of law do not apply here, has everyone forgotten where this happened ?
Russia

Benedikt
04-06-2008, 18:40
or that is what the landlord claims, why they shut down the place. i still have to hear of a supermarket that pays 5000$ per m2 per year..:asskiss:

James22
25-05-2009, 18:40
Had not been to that store in maybe a year but was walking in the area last week so stopped by -- the how building is shit down not only Stockmans - Made me think of Arbat Prestiege - I read that AP offered to pay tax police like 5 or 7 million for bail as they only owe 1.5 million- no dice - guess that one is also not a tax situation really. So I am the type hwo buys peanut butter maybe one time two years - uses it two times then it sits in the shelf until it it too old so I throw it out. - So wanted Cont. but there it costs 360P and no way Will I pay that goofy price. Anyone seen it anywhere? Is there no longer another stockmans? Guess there business was not so good if they only had one location.

I did like to buy each year some American cerials like grape nuts etc Triscuit crackers etc --

Benedikt
25-05-2009, 18:48
Had not been to that store in maybe a year but was walking in the area last week so stopped by -- the how building is shit down not only Stockmans - Made me think of Arbat Prestiege - I read that AP offered to pay tax police like 5 or 7 million for bail as they only owe 1.5 million- no dice - guess that one is also not a tax situation really. So I am the type hwo buys peanut butter maybe one time two years - uses it two times then it sits in the shelf until it it too old so I throw it out. - So wanted Cont. but there it costs 360P and no way Will I pay that goofy price. Anyone seen it anywhere? Is there no longer another stockmans? Guess there business was not so good if they only had one location.

I did like to buy each year some American cerials like grape nuts etc Triscuit crackers etc --

AND THEY ACTUALLY have 3 locations, one in the mega mall in ximki, one in the other mega mall down south jasenovo or something, and the third one just opened, can't for the love of god get the name, but it is jusy straight up 2 minutes from metro voikovskaya, green line, big new huge shopping center, if you search for stockmann on this site you will find it, i posted it some time back.
smolenskaya the landlord was the problem, just wanted to hike the rent some 10 times, and when stockmann balkes they turned off the electricity. so stockmann moved out, good for them. now that center is a dump indeed, and the rest of the shops are mainly empty. stockmann was the showhorse there and brought clients... the owner just has to wake up...

FatAndy
26-05-2009, 13:01
2 Benedikt:
i still have to hear of a supermarket that pays 5000$ per m2 per year.. - you're long enough here - if it is washing machine, then cost is not a matter...;)

Benedikt
26-05-2009, 13:55
2 Benedikt:
i still have to hear of a supermarket that pays 5000$ per m2 per year.. - you're long enough here - if it is washing machine, then cost is not a matter...;)

#14 04-06-2008, 18:40 if you read all my posts you also will see that this was exactly the same question that i asked. and i got that from our bearer of venerable news/ gossip and facts, the MT.....;)