PDA

View Full Version : to belorussia without visa?

sami
23-05-2008, 21:23
has anybody travelled from russia to belorussia by train lately? do border guards require belorussian visa from eu-citizen travelling from russia to belorussia nowadays?

thanks,
sami

Judge
23-05-2008, 21:30
I'm pretty sure you will need a visa ...Don't risk going without a visa,check with the embassy..
Even if you are passing through the country,you need to get a transit visa.

sami
23-05-2008, 21:35
i know that officially visa is required but at least few years ago in practise there was no visa control for people coming from russia to belorussia ...

pullar
23-05-2008, 23:32
If you don't have a Belarussian visa you will get thrown off the train and sent back to where you came from in order to get one or make alternative travel arrangements. As a border guard told me without a trace of irony: We don't require you to get a visa if you go from Warsaw to Moscow by air.

pierre.gonthier
24-05-2008, 13:15
Any tips by the way to get a Belarusian tourist visa ?
Consulate in Moscow mentions you must have an invite, but contrarily to Russia, where there are thousands of company making invites, seems to be tougher for Belarus...
Thanks.

bambina
24-05-2008, 13:32
I have travelled to Belorussia and never even was asked for any visa, nor was stopped by anyone in Minsk while I was walking. They call the border between Russia and Belorussia "prozrachnaya graniza" which means something like transparent border that doesn't require any visa. I stayed there for a month, went and came back without any problem. Minks is a wonderful city, compared to Moscow quiet and people are different, nice and ready to help. Good luck.

mura
24-05-2008, 14:07
I have travelled to Belorussia and never even was asked for any visa, nor was stopped by anyone in Minsk while I was walking. They call the border between Russia and Belorussia "prozrachnaya graniza" which means something like transparent border that doesn't require any visa. I stayed there for a month, went and came back without any problem. Minks is a wonderful city, compared to Moscow quiet and people are different, nice and ready to help. Good luck.
bambina, don't be misleading for the rest of the guys - you don't need a visa to Belarus if you are CIS citizen, but for everyone else - they have to have a visa, even for passing on the train trough Belarus.
You can find all info on the website of the embassy.
You do need a voucher to apply for visa, and voucher has to bitizee from a company, accredited in Belarus.
You can get those in any large travel agency in Moscow, just ask them
Note - for citizens of countries that are in the EU, fascimile copy of such voucher is enough

quincy
24-05-2008, 14:37
bambina, don't be misleading for the rest of the guys - you don't need a visa to Belarus if you are CIS citizen, but for everyone else - they have to have a visa, even for passing on the train trough Belarus.
You do need a voucher to apply for visa, and voucher has to bitizee from a company, accredited in Belarus.
Note - for citizens of countries that are in the EU, fascimile copy of such voucher is enough

Maybe if you have a Russian visa, and just travel between Russia and Belarus (and not further on into Poland) because there are no border checkpoints, you will be OK (even though strictly you should have a Bel visa)

RRM
24-05-2008, 14:49
Its so hard to get facts because everybody's situation is so different.
1) If you have a business visa to Russia, can you travel to Belarus (non-CIS national)
2) If you have a visitor visa to Russia, can you travel to Belarus (non-CIS national)

bambina
24-05-2008, 21:49

well, I am sure that if you go to buy a ticket they will tell you what to do, I don't think that they will sell ticket if documents are not accurate. For me there were no problem.

spadchyna
25-11-2008, 11:06
well, I am sure that if you go to buy a ticket they will tell you what to do, I don't think that they will sell ticket if documents are not accurate. For me there were no problem.

Hi guys! If you travelling trough a Belarus-(by train,bus,boat) -you need the transit belorussian visa. You can get this visa at belorussian embassy in Moscow.Railway service officer will check your ticket and passport when you board the train and refuse entry(you are lucki),otherwise the boarder guards ..can check your passport and visa in the middle of your jorney and you in trouble if you do not have a transit visa...Penalty is $250 US. If you travelling to a Russian Federation by train,bus or boat-you stll need a belorussian transit visa!!! These rules are similar to Canada and US boader rules. The citizens of these country's can easily cross the boader but not a tourists from another country.
I was travelling trough Russian fed.to Belarus with transit russian visa(3 days) and invitation from Belarus-no problem,but you have to get you visa on arrival at airport Minsk-2 or obtain it in Bel.embassy before crossing the boarder by train,bus..Regards.

pierre.gonthier
25-11-2008, 11:18
Let's be all clear:
Visas for Russian Federation have nothing to do with Belarus: This is a different country. You can't use your vietnamese visa to go to China, right... Same story here.

Now about visas for Belarus:
- CIS citizens: Don't need anything
- Non-CIS citizens: Visa is strictly required.

Practically, nobody ever checks any document on train between Moscow and Minsk, so you can technically try to do it... But this is against the law.

Visa can be obtained at any Belarus Embassy (such as the one in Moscow). You need invitation from Hotel or Company. It can also be obtained at Minsk-2 airport (with the same documents), if you are flying into Belarus.

okiey
26-11-2008, 11:36
My collegue here at work, who is British, goes to Belarus about 5 or 6 times a year by train, and he has never bothered with a visa. The train travels directly from Moscow to its destination in Belarus; it does NOT stop at the border. There is no passport or visa check at the railway stations either. Mayby officially a visa is needed. But the reality it that there are no border checks between Russia and Belarus when travelling by train.

MaltSokol
27-11-2008, 15:34
Well, this train with no checks gives "visa engineers" a way to live on business visa basis.

The scenario would be the following.
1. Get yourself both Russian and Belorussian 1yr ME visas (providing it's possible).
2. Enter Russia (Entry on Russian Visa). Spend there 90 days.
3. Exit to Latvia (Exit Russian Visa).
4. Go from Latvia to Belarus immediately. (Entry Belarussian visa).
5. Take the train from Minsk to Moscow and spend there 90 days.
6. On day 180. Go to Minsk back and immediately exit Belarus to Latvia (Exit Belarussian Visa).
7. Take the train from Latvia to Moscow (Entry Russian Visa). Spend 90 days there.
8. Next time exit to Latvia and reenter through Minsk....
etc, etc, etc.

Sounds feasible, doesn't it? :verycool:
They "only" problem is that you wouldn't be registered half of the year, :P
I picked Latvia because it close, but it should work taking any 3rd country that is connected with both Russian and Belarus (even by plane).

Frederick
28-11-2008, 04:53
Well, this train with no checks gives "visa engineers" a way to live on business visa basis.

The scenario would be the following.
1. Get yourself both Russian and Belorussian 1yr ME visas (providing it's possible).
2. Enter Russia (Entry on Russian Visa). Spend there 90 days.
3. Exit to Latvia (Exit Russian Visa).
4. Go from Latvia to Belarus immediately. (Entry Belarussian visa).
5. Take the train from Minsk to Moscow and spend there 90 days.
6. On day 180. Go to Minsk back and immediately exit Belarus to Latvia (Exit Belarussian Visa).
7. Take the train from Latvia to Moscow (Entry Russian Visa). Spend 90 days there.
8. Next time exit to Latvia and reenter through Minsk....
etc, etc, etc.

Sounds feasible, doesn't it? :verycool:
They "only" problem is that you wouldn't be registered half of the year, :P
I picked Latvia because it close, but it should work taking any 3rd country that is connected with both Russian and Belarus (even by plane).

Does this really happen?

i can't believe that there is NEVER anyone to check the visa either way on the moscow-minsk trains...