PDA

View Full Version : Where should I teach?

Canadiantraveler
22-05-2008, 21:47
Hello,

I just started sending out my resume to some of the schools in Moscow. I have gotten several very quick responses and would like to know what you all can tell me about some of these schools: Inlingua, Language Links, and British Business Language Centre.

I have seen a few negative comments about Inlingua and Language Links, but also some good ones. I haven't heard anything about British Business Language Centre.

What can you tell me about these schools?

Thank you

Canadiantraveler
28-05-2008, 03:09
Also is there anyone who has worked for or knows anything about English School Sunny plus or English First.

I seems to be getting a lot of responses but it is had to make a descision. I would really appriciate hearing about peoples experiences.

phoenixsampras
28-05-2008, 07:01
I would suggest to work in other Area, teaching is out of fashion and not well paid ATM.

Also is there anyone who has worked for or knows anything about English School Sunny plus or English First.

I seems to be getting a lot of responses but it is had to make a descision. I would really appriciate hearing about peoples experiences.

Bels
10-06-2008, 13:18
I would suggest to work in other Area, teaching is out of fashion and not well paid ATM.

Very true, and this is especially down to the high rate of inflation over the past four years, and the schools refusal to keep income in line with this inflation.

If you still want still want to go ahead, go for the schools who will give you a full package contract from your own country, before you leave. That will pay for your flights, health insurance, accomadation, work visa assistance. and a fulltime monthly income.

This now brings your choice down to LanguageLink and BKC. Play it safe.

For more detailed discussions between teachers in Moscow, try here:

Job Discussion Forums :: View Forum - Russia & C.I.S. (http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewforum.php?f=20)

Bels
10-06-2008, 13:27
At least LL and BKC give the full package, of which includes a work contract before you arrive in Moscow, shared accomadation, flights and work visa support, and a fulltime low salary. For a newbie coming to Russia for the first time, they might be your only options.

And if you are lucky :) You might get a washing machine :)

chertovka
10-06-2008, 13:34
I thought only Russian teachers at schools were underpaid...

Bels
10-06-2008, 14:19
I thought only Russian teachers at schools were underpaid...

That's even worse. My wife was once asked to teach children English in a State school. She flatly refused once told the salary. and wondred how state school teachers survived today. Obviously through additional private lessons.

xSnoofovich
10-06-2008, 14:29
Russian teachers now make about 45-50,000 ru a month.

chertovka
10-06-2008, 14:31
I take my words back.

Strider
10-06-2008, 14:58
my mother used to be a school teacher for a long time, so I didn't believe you saying that they have 45-50k salary...

I decided to check google and still couldn't believe it... there was an article saying that average school teacher salary in moscow school is about 20k, and teachers of foreign languages get 2x, which is about 40k... so I guess 45-50k could be true, I'm surprised

ATO1980
16-06-2008, 00:04
The owner is a crazy old hag who thinks her school is the only legal one. She likes to drop in your classes unannounced as well, which is highly unprofessional. She's also very lazy, often rolling into the office in her BMW late in the afternoon

Bels
25-06-2008, 19:45
I keep stating this. When selecting an employer in TEFL. weigh up the whole package you are being offered. Compare companies who provide you with a telephone interview in your own country, and if successful you will be offered a full package of visa support, travel expenses, accommadation, and health insurance. Ok it's still a garbage offer, but there are other language centres claiming to offer much more, and they can't.

My conclusion, for newbies coming to Russia for the first time, use BKC or language Link. If you do do decide to settle and do it yourself, expect to earn at least Ј40 pr 45 minutes.

kostromskaya
04-07-2008, 20:36
HI guys,

I am not sure you are very right about the salaries. Teaching is still paid quite badly everywhere else but Moscow. If you read these articles carefully, you will see that only SOME teachers make 40-50k a month, while MGU teachers are paid 800 rubles per hour...
Зарплата учителей может достигать 80 тыс. рублей в месяц - Выпуск новостей - НОВОСТИ - 5ballov.ru (http://www.5ballov.ru/news/newsline/2008/02/07/59382)

SalTheReturn
06-07-2008, 12:44
Hello,

I just started sending out my resume to some of the schools in Moscow. I have gotten several very quick responses and would like to know what you all can tell me about some of these schools: Inlingua, Language Links, and British Business Language Centre.

I have seen a few negative comments about Inlingua and Language Links, but also some good ones. I haven't heard anything about British Business Language Centre.

What can you tell me about these schools?

Thank you

Language Links has nice staff, this mean you will get lots of friends whilst there and your colleague rocks!

Though salary allows bare survival and the accomodation is up to thirld world standard.

Beware of split-shifts.

If you need their job to get into russia, take it, then either fire yourself asap and go freelance or finish your contract regularly without renewing it

Bels
06-07-2008, 13:25
How experienced must you be with living in Moscow, to go freelance, in other words private, and build up enough customers to provide yourself with sufficient hours to provide yourself with a good standard of living and a decent flat. If ou can't speak Russian muc, you wil need a good Russian adminisrator , and that means more costs.

And watch out! Some schools try to tell you what your price will be.

And unfortunately you will need LL for the work inviatation, otherwise 90 days in, and 90 days out.

So I still say LL for beginners , and then build up private customers. Forget the schools for freelance, because they can't afford you.

tokenscouser
09-07-2008, 01:09
hey,

Well I started off with EF which I would not recommend at all, was a pile of poop. Then I moved to inlingua which I thoroughly enjoyed. The students were good, the resources were good and they were pretty flexible with me. I would seriously consider going back there again, if you do go there, say hi to Nastya from me :).

Languagelink, I had some friends there who worked there, they said it was okay too, but larger classes than inlingua where it is almost entirely corporate clients. The downside with inlingua is the travel, although I was lucky and hardly travelled further than three metro stations :).

Good luck, I miss Moscow massively!

SalTheReturn
09-07-2008, 02:08
How experienced must you be with living in Moscow, to go freelance, in other words private, and build up enough customers to provide yourself with sufficient hours to provide yourself with a good standard of living and a decent flat. If ou can't speak Russian muc, you wil need a good Russian adminisrator , and that means more costs.

And watch out! Some schools try to tell you what your price will be.

And unfortunately you will need LL for the work inviatation, otherwise 90 days in, and 90 days out.

So I still say LL for beginners , and then build up private customers. Forget the schools for freelance, because they can't afford you.

LL will issue a yearly visa asap. After that you can quit them...they have no ways to track you down, nor they care about it.

How do you make clients? Wake up Bels and think a bit...
After 3/6 months you already have a solid clientele if you are a communicative person and a professional teacher. Also you start freelancing for agencies, some of which, nowadays pay 1200py per hour. No frills.

SalTheReturn
09-07-2008, 02:12
hey,

Well I started off with EF which I would not recommend at all, was a pile of poop. Then I moved to inlingua which I thoroughly enjoyed. The students were good, the resources were good and they were pretty flexible with me. I would seriously consider going back there again, if you do go there, say hi to Nastya from me :).

Languagelink, I had some friends there who worked there, they said it was okay too, but larger classes than inlingua where it is almost entirely corporate clients. The downside with inlingua is the travel, although I was lucky and hardly travelled further than three metro stations :).

Good luck, I miss Moscow massively!

Well your LL friends should have told that they also travel a lot...

As regards telling you "it is ok", I have no doubts about that: some of them were paid as little as 500bucks per month and they would still say "it is ok". This is what you can get as an answer when your typical workforce consists of college guys on a gap year with no clue about Russia.

On the other hand there are good stuff about LL, such as working atmosphere, possibility to know lots of people, nice students, etc...

pjw
09-07-2008, 02:17
LL will issue a yearly visa asap. After that you can quit them...they have no ways to track you down, nor they care about it.

How do you make clients? Wake up Bels and think a bit...
After 3/6 months you already have a solid clientele if you are a communicative person and a professional teacher. Also you start freelancing for agencies, some of which, nowadays pay 1200py per hour. No frills.True what you say Sal. Wake up Bels. :trampoline: Although not in Russia, Iґm a freelancer and Iґm not exactly Einstein when it comes to business or anything else for that matter :hooray:

TZski
05-08-2008, 08:54
At least LL and BKC give the full package, of which includes a work contract before you arrive in Moscow, shared accomadation, flights and work visa support, and a fulltime low salary. For a newbie coming to Russia for the first time, they might be your only options.

And if you are lucky :) You might get a washing machine :)

I agree here.... I worked for both companies and this pretty much sums it up. Personally, I felt more comfortable at BKC - but they both jerk you around a little bit.:thumbdwn:

All in all, both schools were fair and gave me a great opportunity to live and work in Russia and I am thankful for it.