PDA

View Full Version : Dual citizenship-where to show which passport?

ekaterina1000
22-05-2008, 08:30
My son was born in the US. He has 2 passports - Russian and American. Where should I show his American passport and Russian one? Has anyone ever done this? What problems could I expect? I am worried that they can ask why he does not have Russian visa what we are leaving the USA and why in his Russian passport he does not have a stamp that he left the USA. I appreciate any help!

MissAnnElk
22-05-2008, 08:35
I have a child with a US and an Argentine passport.The Americans only recognize her US passport. For her, we must travel in and out of the US with her US passport.

The Argentines require her to enter Argentina with their passport. So for her I would need to carry both.

Don't know about the visa thing. I would ask at the Russian consulate. I'm guessing he doesn't need a Russian visa because he has a Russian passport. You would have both passports with you . . .

cookie monster
22-05-2008, 08:48
My son was born in the US. He has 2 passports - Russian and American. Where should I show his American passport and Russian one? Has anyone ever done this? What problems could I expect? I am worried that they can ask why he does not have Russian visa what we are leaving the USA and why in his Russian passport he does not have a stamp that he left the USA. I appreciate any help!

US Immigration only stamps on your passport upon arrival. For some reason, they do not stamp an exit date on departing passengers.

MissAnnElk
22-05-2008, 08:51
US Immigration only stamps on your passport upon arrival. For some reason, they do not stamp an exit date on departing passengers.

True. We don't care when you leave. I don't think you even go through Immigration on the way out. The airline might look at check-in to make sure you have a visa since if you don't they must bring you back at their expense.

RRM
22-05-2008, 08:56
I believe, the airline has to provide the list of passengers with their nationailty to the immigration. Thats how they know when you left. Somebody told me it was not that tight a few years ago but recently its being tracked.

True. We don't care when you leave. I don't think you even go through Immigration on the way out. The airline might look at check-in to make sure you have a visa since if you don't they must bring you back at their expense.

MissAnnElk
22-05-2008, 09:28
I believe, the airline has to provide the list of passengers with their nationailty to the immigration. Thats how they know when you left. It somebody told be it was not that tight a few years ago but recently its being tracked.

That makes sense . . . I mean, I know if I were on the run from the law, and I used my real passport, it would be hard to leave the country on a commercial airline.

I think there is a rule against paying cash for plane tickets on the day of departure for the same reason . . . you can't avoid a paper trail.

J.D.
22-05-2008, 15:56
Usually people show their American passport when entering the U.S. but show their Russian one when leaving the U.S.
Entering the U.S. you show your passport to immigration but leaving the U.S. there are no checks. No Document is required to leave the U.S.
You show your passport and visa to the airlines upon leaving for two reasons. First off identification is required to get on the plane. Second the airline wants to see that you can legally enter the country you are going to. That means an American Passport and a Russian visa or a Russian passport.
My son has a Russian passport but he still enters Russia on an American passport with a Russian visa. My theory is that if there is a problem I can claim that he is an American travelling on an American passport.

Leaving Russia you show your American passport and your Russian passport to the airlines if you don't have a Russian visa. The airlines won't check you in if you don't have a valid exit visa. Then you just show your Russian passport to passport control.

kirk10071
22-05-2008, 16:05
US citizens are required to enter the United States on their American passport, so JD is doing the right thing.

Penguin_The_Great
23-05-2008, 01:23

Ekaterina, donít worry. People travel like this all the time - check any Russian forum in the US. No one has ever had a problem, as far I know.

When you travel to Russia from the US -

1. You show the Russian passport to the airline. They need to check that you will be allowed into Russia, otherwise they will have to pay for taking you back.
2. When entering Russia (passport control), you show the Russian passport. They DONíT CARE that the passport doesnít have American stamps. They ONLY check that you have a valid passport.

On the way back (Russia to US):

1. Show both passports to the airline.
2. Show Russian passport at the Russian passport control.
3. Show American passport at the US passport control.

vladimir_seroff
23-05-2008, 01:50
This link explains regulations on both sides of the ocean:

Dual Nationality (http://stpetersburg.usconsulate.gov/citizen_dual.htm)

CaliforniaAngel
26-05-2008, 07:37
My son has the same passports. Penguin stated correctly how it should be done.

rumson
19-06-2008, 18:37
This really isn't a problem. Thousands of Russians have dual citizenship. The border agents are very accustomed to this.

When you leave and enter Russia, show them both passports. They will only concern themselves with the Russian passport but will want to see the American one for proof that you can be admitted to another country.

In the US, present ONLY the US passport. They are sticky about this. You should use your US passport to enter and leave the US.

(One thing that isn't true, however, is that the US does not care if Americans come and go. That isn't true. Entry and exist is monitored and recorded when the airlines swipe your passport. This information is shared with Homeland Security. Uncle Sam likes to collect information...so much that it does not know what to do with it).

rumson
19-06-2008, 18:42
No Document is required to leave the U.S.

This is not exactly true. Airlines, coach companies and Amtrak have instructions from ICE not to let anyone leave the country with producing a passport or other photo identification. This includes US citizens. If you cross to Canada and Mexico it use to be the case that you did not need to show your passport or driver license but this has now changed. You should check the State Department website.

Passenger manifests are also shared in advance with Homeland Security. You are not directly involved but name and identify checks are run. The explanation I've heard is that they do not want fugitives to escape the country...

rosstis
01-11-2008, 00:52
Dear all,

Please help to clarify our situation and eliminate our confirm our fears.

We are mixed married couple: Russian citizen and EU citizen.

Our baby was recently born in an EU country and obtained Russian citizenship and zagranpassport at the Russian Embassy in this country.

We are planning to visit Russia with baby who has both EU and Russian passports first time .

Would it be correct to do like this:

1. Show EU passport at the EU border.
2. Show Russian passport at the Russian border.

On the way back to EU country:
1. Show Russian passport at the Russian border.
2. Show EU passport at the EU border.

Should we show 2 passports together during any of these moments?
Can they ask at the Russian border to show a stam confirming the exit from EU country while a) entering Russia b) leaving Russia?
Has anyone experienced any problems related to the ebscense of stamps or any other problems with crossing borders with two nationalities?

In forums I have red that some people who have Russian and other country's passports and live outside Russia permanently prefer to obtain Russian visa into there foreign passport before visiting Russia. Why they do like this? Which problems they are trying to avoid?

Please share your ideas and recent experiences
Thanks

BeachBum
02-11-2008, 16:09
As a general rule of thumb. It is better to enter EU countries on your US passport. If you enter on the US passport you have protection of the US government if any problem should arise. If you enter on a russian passport. All bets are off.