PDA

View Full Version : GAP and Banana Republic are coming!!

cupcake
21-05-2008, 13:32
OK, I can't contain my excitement - GAP and Banana republic are opening in Moscow and Russia! GAP by Christmas and BR next year.

Gap, Banana Republic stores coming to Russia (http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D90PJK302.htm)

Ana2008
21-05-2008, 16:30
Great news! :trampoline:hope prices will be also american

cookie monster
21-05-2008, 21:08

Yup, definitely good news, but mark-ups for companies here is an average of300% profit margin.

kapione
21-05-2008, 21:19

you are forgetting where you are ,Russia and very greedy Moscow

They have to make up for lost money so it will still be cheaper to have friends or family buy then ship clothing here , and you are sure of getting the real deal

Albertina
21-05-2008, 21:31
WHat took them so long!

Must be the climat :cold:

Transparent Theatre
21-05-2008, 23:19
WHat took them so long!

Must be the climat :cold:

Realistically people I know in retail marketing in Moscow tell me that the astronomic cost of opening retail premises is the main reason most foreign brands (not only clothes, but all consumer products) have stayed away from Russia until now. If you are the owner of a piece of land, you can make vastly more money leasing it as office space, or to a bank, an Embassy, or a Govt organisation.

However, there's a new economic model now, in which profits made in euro-convertible funds are really worthwhile to American companies who are seeing depressed sales in their own domestic markets, and are pleased to have the business. Also the real estate market in Moscow is normalising and more and more retail space is appearing - it needs clients to lease it.

Let's hope that others follow Gap and Banana Republic :) I am not advocating globalisation, but frankly the availability of normal clothes at normal prices is a pathetic sham in which the Russian public is being conned into paying vastly more than necessary. I'm fortunate enough to make 3-4 trips abroad (to Europe and to Asia) per year, and I buy all my clothes abroad, never in Russia. My dress sense might not be completely standard, but I don't want to dress like a drug-dealer or bandit (at the top-end clothes shops in Moscow) or a migrant guest-worker (at the rynok), and there's nothing in the middle currently.

Albertina
21-05-2008, 23:29
Well, that's a much more sophisticated answer than my assumption that they simply didn't produce clothes for Russian Winters :cold: And therefore had to add a new line for Russia!

is4fun
21-05-2008, 23:43
Realistically people I know in retail marketing in Moscow tell me that the astronomic cost of opening retail premises is the main reason most foreign brands (not only clothes, but all consumer products) is why companies have stayed away from Russia until now. If you are the owner of a piece of land, you can make vastly more money leasing it as office space, or to a bank, an Embassy, or a Govt organisation.

However, there's a new economic model now, in which profits made in euro-convertible funds are really worthwhile to American companies who are seeing depressed sales in their own domestic markets, and are pleased to have the business. Also the real estate market in Moscow is normalising and more and more retail space is appearing - it needs clients to lease it.

Let's hope that others follow Gap and Banana Republic :) I am not advocating globalisation, but frankly the availability of normal clothes at normal prices is a pathetic sham in which the Russian public is being conned into paying vastly more than necessary. I'm fortunate enough to make 3-4 trips abroad (to Europe and to Asia) per year, and I buy all my clothes abroad, never in Russia. My dress sense might not be completely standard, but I don't want to dress like a drug-dealer or bandit (at the top-end clothes shops in Moscow) or a migrant guest-worker (at the rynok), and there's nothing in the middle currently.

I too buy outside of Russia 3-4 times a year. It is cheaper to take a short excursion to a foreign country like Italy or even Ukraine and buy your clothing. The best, however, is North America but the airfare is more so it must be an extended vacation.

xSnoofovich
22-05-2008, 11:23
and there's nothing in the middle currently.

i disagree - go to any of the malls, and you can find clothes for the same prices as in america. and the same quality. the biggest difference is selection, but hey, russians/europeans have a different sense of fashion.

Gypsy
22-05-2008, 11:38
About 60% of the fashion shops in the Mega Malls are French, operated under franchise agreements by 2 local groups - so you can get reasonable, european clothes at sensible prices.

Gap coming is good news for me, I wear a lot of their stuff, chinos/khakis and jumpers. H&M will be open even sooner, and they are great value for money too.

As long as the pricing is reasonable - and Gap and H&M price the same in France, Italy and UK, so I assume in every european market, then it will be good news all round.

Why have they not come before? Politics and the right available space.

I know H&M decided to come here a couple of years ago but wanted a flagship store first - sites for those don't come up very often.

kirk10071
22-05-2008, 11:58
The only problem with the megamalls is that, if you don't have your own car, getting there can be either (i) expensive or (ii) a truly memorable public transportation adventure that will take all day and may kill you.

Transparent Theatre
22-05-2008, 13:20
The only problem with the megamalls is that, if you don't have your own car, getting there can be either (i) expensive or (ii) a truly memorable public transportation adventure that will take all day and may kill you.

That's true, but "Evropeisky" is right outside the Metro exit at Kievskaya, and they have most of the major outlets in there.

They still don't the range, quality or prices you can find in any other European city. And why can't you get men's underwear in Moscow? In Marks & Spencers in London you find a whole DEPARTMENT with different styles, sizes, colours etc. In Moscow they throw six pairs of socks (for $20 per pair) on a rotating display near the checkout, and that's it :(

jumatre
22-05-2008, 13:52
That's true, but "Evropeisky" is right outside the Metro exit at Kievskaya, and they have most of the major outlets in there.

They still don't the range, quality or prices you can find in any other European city. And why can't you get men's underwear in Moscow? In Marks & Spencers in London you find a whole DEPARTMENT with different styles, sizes, colours etc. In Moscow they throw six pairs of socks (for $20 per pair) on a rotating display near the checkout, and that's it :(

Really true. I was last weekend desperately looking for underwear at reasonable prices, Tommi Hilfiger, Calvin Klein and 6 - 7 shopes more until I got all together. And bytheway, I found the most economic products where I did not expect: in GUM...

kirk10071
22-05-2008, 13:56
You guys still wear underwear? How traditional of you...

And the comment about Evropeisky mall is a good one. I always forget about that. Thanks for the reminder.

xSnoofovich
22-05-2008, 14:00
maneghz also has some good stores that have normal prices.

is4fun
22-05-2008, 14:01

And the comment about Evropeisky mall is a good one. I always forget about that. Thanks for the reminder.

For hygene purposes...

Is there a better alternative? Some kind of cream maybe? lol

Gypsy
22-05-2008, 14:11
For hygene purposes...

Is there a better alternative? Some kind of cream maybe? lol

You have to remember that Kirk, being a fascist running dog of imperialism,here only to plunder russia's oil riches, whilst grinding the noses of poor locals in the dirt, wears his suits only once and then donates them to the poor.

On a more serious note - the franchisee Gap have chosen is the same as that used by M&S here, so we can expect retail prices about 3 times higher than western europe if they follow the same model.

jumatre
22-05-2008, 14:16

Wool in the winter and linen in the summer.

kirk10071
22-05-2008, 14:19
You have to remember that Kirk, being a fascist running dog of imperialism,here only to plunder russia's oil riches, whilst grinding the noses of poor locals in the dirt, wears his suits only once and then donates them to the poor.

But I put notes (in English) with helpful advice to the Russians in the pockets (clean up your metro, change your immigration laws, etc.). Who has time for underwear?

Funny Videos on tbs.com (http://www.tbs.com/video/0,,73212|314580|,00.html)

Orion
22-05-2008, 16:46
kirk as the naked innocent boy roaming the countryside...scary, very scary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9dkFhPuPGU

mesh
29-05-2008, 20:45
how'bout Wallmart?

Gypsy
29-05-2008, 20:57
how'bout Wallmart?
Wallmart have been coming every week since I got here 2 years ago. Don't hold your breath.

And if they do come, don't expect them to be cheap either.

Carrefour are definitely coming,are here in fact so will give Auchan a run for their money.

Transparent Theatre
29-05-2008, 21:14
And if they do come, don't expect them to be cheap either.

Hahaha, upmarket Walmart!! Why would they bother coming if they're not cheap? "Cheap" defines Walmart in every sense. Next you'll be telling me they plan having intelligent articulate staff who take an interest in their work...

Gypsy
29-05-2008, 21:39
Hahaha, upmarket Walmart!! Why would they bother coming if they're not cheap? "Cheap" defines Walmart in every sense. Explain what they have done in the UK then.
Next you'll be telling me they plan having intelligent articulate staff who take an interest in their work...Unlikely in Russia - but has already happened in UK.

Transparent Theatre
29-05-2008, 21:41
I think I had left the UK before Walmart ever arrived. I only have experience of their stores in the USA, which certainly wouldn't encourage me to make time to visit their stores in the UK ;) Like a Pound Store, only larger.

MissAnnElk
29-05-2008, 21:42
What we want . . . what we NEED is Target.

Gypsy
29-05-2008, 21:55
I think I had left the UK before Walmart ever arrived. I only have experience of their stores in the USA, which certainly wouldn't encourage me to make time to visit their stores in the UK ;) Like a Pound Store, only larger.

When they came to the UK we thought - Great; sensible prices. Silly us. They obviously only went to the UK to expand their margins - they are no cheaper than any of the other supermarket chains.

They just joined the cartel.

That is the model they will apply here if they ever come - why else would they bother?

Carrefour is good news though.