PDA

View Full Version : Ordianry-vegetarian restaurant

TGP
20-05-2008, 14:00
Can someone recommend a restaurant, not far away from Pushkinskaya / Mayakovskaya metro stations, where both vegetarian and ordinary cousine is served? I mean really vegetarian dishes, not just raw vegetables, rice etc...

Any ideas?

RRM
20-05-2008, 14:54
If you like Indian Cuisine, all Indian restaurants have both vegetarian and the rest. This is only if you like Indian food.

Can someone recommend a restaurant, not far away from Pushkinskaya / Mayakovskaya metro stations, where both vegetarian and ordinary cousine is served? I mean really vegetarian dishes, not just raw vegetables, rice etc...

Any ideas?

Transparent Theatre
20-05-2008, 14:54
The general situation for nice vegetarian cuisine in Moscow remains quite poor, frankly.

If you want a nice restaurant for a business meeting etc, then CAFE PUSHKIN has several (well, around 2-3) vegetarian dishes on its menu, alongside many more non-veggie dishes. At least here you will experience nice service and surroundings (provided you book a table upstais, of course).

Another place you could try would be the restaurant of the Golden Apple Hotel (Apple Bar) on Malaya Dmitrovka, although I think the range of vegetarian dishes there is only a choice from two.

You could also try Jagganath on Kuznetsky Most, but there ALL the dishes are vegetarian, with no non-veggie dishes on offer. Frankly I find this place a bit pretentious, and also not worth the prices charged.

OM Cafe on Novy Arbat serves both veggie and non-veggie, but it's not really near to the location you requested. The entrance looks rather scruffy, but inside it's ok. Blue Elephant Thai Restaurant would also be excellent, although the prices are high and not "ordinary", and again it's not very near your chosen location.

Also trying looking here:

Vegetarian - Moscowiki (http://wiki.expat.ru/index.php/Vegetarian)

Good luck :)

TT (a vegetarian for 22 years)

TropicalFish
20-05-2008, 15:08
I'm a vegetarian and never heard of any eateries in M. which cook both cuisines equally well (btw, very strict veggies wouldn't permit cooking their food using the same knives and dishes for meat, fish etc.). There are only several veg eateries in Moscow such as Avocado and Jagannath, both overpriced, so I personally prefer Tanuki - the nearest to you is near Novokuznetskaya, they have a choice of salads, stewed vegetables and fried mushrooms along with ordinary Japanese dishes.

RRM
20-05-2008, 15:11
There are so many Sushi restaurants in Moscow and they have excellent vegetarian food. Cucumber rolls, Acacado rolls, Sea weed salads, soups et etc

TGP
20-05-2008, 16:06
Thanks to all for your recommendation!
Yes, first thing I thought about was an Indian restaurant, but being a non-veggie, I wanted to try and find something else. Now I'll give the list to the vegetarians, and let them choose the place.

Transparent Theatre
20-05-2008, 16:21
Thanks to all for your recommendation!
Yes, first thing I thought about was an Indian restaurant, but being a non-veggie, I wanted to try and find something else. Now I'll give the list to the vegetarians, and let them choose the place.

Don't ignore the possibility of Chinese restaurants too? There are many tofu-based main dishes suitable for vegetarians :)

Matt24
20-05-2008, 16:41
Restaurant Careas, however you spell it several branches across Moscow, very decent food, attentive service and reasonable prices, keeps this mixed family (tree hugger and carnivour), happy - lots of Pizza/Pasta options near your desired location.

TGP
20-05-2008, 22:43
Don't ignore the possibility of Chinese restaurants too? There are many tofu-based main dishes suitable for vegetarians :)

Yes, but I don't like Chinese cousine, veggie or non-veggie... :10600:

Transparent Theatre
21-05-2008, 00:25
Yes, but I don't like Chinese cousine, veggie or non-veggie... :10600:

Aha! Moving the goalposts mid-game, huh? ;)

Maybe you just had a bad experience? There are many different cuisines in China, from hot & spicy through to fresh & exhilherating, so they are worth a try :) But maybe another time :)

TGP
21-05-2008, 11:25
Aha! Moving the goalposts mid-game, huh? ;)

Maybe you just had a bad experience? There are many different cuisines in China, from hot & spicy through to fresh & exhilherating, so they are worth a try :) But maybe another time :)

I don't know all Chinese cousines, as my experience doesn't inspire me to continue the research.
Tastes differ...

RRM
21-05-2008, 11:39
Chinese food is different in each country, even in Chinese speaking countries it differs.

MissAnnElk
21-05-2008, 12:01
:iagree:

And while Thai food seems to me to be always good, no matter when you find it, Chinese can vary dramatically. Good Chinese food is a wonderful thing. But there's not much worse than bad Chinese food.

RRM
21-05-2008, 13:05
Bad Chinese is relative too. Okay I am not talking about taste but about the food itself. I was served frog ovary soup once in Beijing.

And while Thai food seems to me to be always good, no matter when you find it, Chinese can vary dramatically. Good Chinese food is a wonderful thing. But there's not much worse than bad Chinese food.

Transparent Theatre
21-05-2008, 13:21

The worst Chinese food in the entire world is served at a Chinese place in West Ustick Road, Boise, ID. Don't ever try the food from there.

ellunas
21-05-2008, 16:56
Jagganath was good 8 years ago but not now... You can tell the place is dying by the smell of their bathrooms... Rotten, just like their food and service.. :10600:

Avocado (Chistoprudny Bulvar) is so much better - good food, nice atmosphere and waitstaff. The prices are not really terrible - you'll pay 1000 rubles for a full meal with a dessert. Or less. I don't think I ever leave a thousand there...

Other than that, Asian cuisine, that's right... Even in sandwich places (like Prime, Primestar or Pyat Zvyozd - I think it is the same place though:)) the choice of veggie food is becoming more and more narrow. They have one or two decent veggie sandwiches and a couple of salads though, so it is an options, too...

Etoile filante
21-05-2008, 23:29

Any ideas?

There is a lovely place at Kuznetsky Most metro station.
It's called Jagannath (http://www.jagannath.ru).
Tomato soup there is superb :) And ginger tea is also good.

Billie Bob
21-05-2008, 23:57
havent been to jagganut in 1-2 years, but they are vegetarian... and were not bad... kuznetski most.

I havent been to avocado, on chistye prudi/.//

there used to be a"tofu" place on malaya dmitrovka, but shut down a year ago, and they were really great, but russians just didnt get into tofu...

russians arent vegetarians, but they do like salads and vegetarian meals, except, it just doesnt happen...

Transparent Theatre
22-05-2008, 00:05

russians arent vegetarians,.

But still you can find blinniy with sour cream, piroshkie with mushrooms or cabbage, mushroom soup, marinaded mushrooms, pickles, tomatoes, mushroom julienne :)

Mmmm, I'm already feeling hungry...

Worst vegetarian dish I've ever been served in Russia:

"500g of sliced unsalted radishes, piled on a plate"
"Neva" Restaurant, Leningrad, circa 1986.