PDA

View Full Version : Sending clothing for orphanage???

Acoreana
20-05-2008, 02:50
Hi! I am in Bermuda and I have a pile of clothing (newborn-3 months) that are in excellent condition from my baby girl. She can no longer fit into these clothes and instead of throwing them away, i would like to put them into a box and send them to an orphanage in Russia.
Is this logical? Will the kids (babies) ever recieve the clothing? I dont see why anyone would want to steal baby's clothes but who knows??!!
What do you think? Send them or not?
Thanx!

chertovka
20-05-2008, 09:45
Why not give it a try? I don't think it's a bad idea. The only thing is you need an address of an orphanage. Will look up for you if you need.

PS And there's also a question of customs clearance.

Acoreana
20-05-2008, 16:32
Yeah I was wondering about customs...they are a real pain in the *** in every country! Any idea of the % they charge?? I guess sending it courier would add even more charges...:bash:

sunshine4lb
20-05-2008, 18:33
Sending them by courier.... it's a bad idea trust me!
They will take it and sell it. In my opinion drop them in the nearest charity center in your area that way you really help some one who needs it. God will repay you for your good deeds and thoughts. Pulse a lot of charity centers give you the option to choose where your things will go to...
Anyways it's just my opinion.

Good Luck and keep the humanity thoughts a LIVE
Nice Going :clown:

Uncle Pasha
24-02-2009, 19:30
I occasionally assist in delivering donations to the local orphanage here in Staritsa, Tver region. My experience with customs/post:

* No customs % if the value of the parcel is under 5000 roubles (about 150 at the present rate). But dealing with the customs is a pain. You will either has to spend a day at the terminal, or have a broker do that for about $100 fee. The rate for clothing that exceed that $150 limit is somewhere in the area of 20 or 30%.

* I always advised people to write in large letters "Gift for orphanage, no commercial value" on the box. That worked so far. In Russian it is "Подарки для детского дома, коммерческой ценности не имеют"

* Only once did an item disappeared without trace. In this particular case it was a driving harness intended for me. Or, rather, my horses. From what I all boxes with used clothing arrived intact. Anything of high value needs to be sent registered or via courier.

* Use regular cheap post. The value of articles sent just does not warrant more expensive, even though reliable, means of getting them here.

Hope that helps you to get your baby items to someone who needs them at minimal expense/hassle.

Pasha

PS. Anybody with clothing for 4-15 year olds to donate in Moscow may write to me (paul_voytinsky@yahoo.com). They can be deposited at several locations in Moscow (Novokuznetskaya, Vodny Stadion, Tushinskaya, Nagornaya) with people who regularly visit me in my humble abode near Staritsa. I'll then personally deliver them to the local Children's Shelter. This shelter also acts as a distribution center to supply adult clothing to the small-town and rural poor, so adult clothing will also be welcomed.

BeachBum
25-02-2009, 07:53
They will take it and sell it. In my opinion drop them in the nearest charity center in your area that way you really help some one who needs it. God will repay you for your good deeds and thoughts. Pulse a lot of charity centers give you the option to choose where your things will go to...

I have a decent sofa and some other household items I would like to give away to somebody who need it. Do you handle this or can you advise? thanks/ ))

IGIT
17-08-2009, 15:00
I also have some clothes- for adults though. Any idea how to pass them on? Kindly advise.

ktm120
20-09-2009, 18:11
I have some old coats that I would like to donate to a charity in Moscow. I will likely have some other clothes that I could pass along that always seem to sit at the bottom of my drawer and never make it into the rotation. If anyone has advice on how or where to donate these items it would be much appreciated.

MashaV
25-10-2009, 20:28

Not everybody like that. we actually work with very nice people who like to help. We have a group on the "Classmates"(Одноклассники). The volunteers submit all pictures,checks and so on If you sent some toys they will sent you a pictures of orphans and letters from them with a "Thank you".By the way everyone can go to the orphans house and check

MashaV
25-10-2009, 20:44
I have some old coats that I would like to donate to a charity in Moscow. I will likely have some other clothes that I could pass along that always seem to sit at the bottom of my drawer and never make it into the rotation. If anyone has advice on how or where to donate these items it would be much appreciated.
You can send all your stuff on this address: Russia,Иркутская область
г. Тулун ул. Саянская д.10 665268 Людмила Мельникова
We know lots of very poor families that need clothes. Thank you!!!

MashaV
27-10-2009, 17:43
You can also send all your stuff to orphans on this address: Russia 665210 Иркутская область, Тулунский район, поселок Ключевое,

ул. Лесная, 8

Будаговский социально-реабилитационный центр для несовешеннолетних.
They accept everyting- a used clothes, toys,school supplies and so on
Thank you!