PDA

View Full Version : Undershirts

trackhat
03-05-2004, 18:38
If you are an American man, how many white cotton undershirts do you own?

My girlfriend is riding my ass for having too many undershirts. I have like, oh, I don't know... eleven undershirts. I guess that just isn't 'done' here. She thinks I'm insane. She kept bugging me about it, so I told her that I came from a superior culture with better traditions (such as Fruit of the Loom,) and that's why we have more money.

Ok, I admit that the old standard process of having a dozen white, cotton blend, button down shirts and wearing them over 100% cotton hanes undershirts is a bit square. The only way men had of breaking the mold of uniformity until a few years ago was to change ties. Now it's ok to wear burgundy button-down poly-cotton blend shirts, grey shirts, dark blue shirts -- well, I guess that it was always ok to wear light blue shirts.

I don't understand why there is an argument - why complain out of ignorance? Don't Russian men wear white undershirts, and if not, how do they keep from destroying their white collared, button down shirts when they sweat?

geofizz56
03-05-2004, 19:29
I think your girlfriend has found a truly novel thing to complain about. Is she this neurotic about other stuff???

A lot of men I've known got into the habit of owning lots of undershirts when they were single and didn't want to do laundry very often. The "worst" example was a college friend who had weeks worth of underclothing. Every 2 weeks or so he would pack all his dirty clothes in a footlocker and send them by bus to his mommy, who would wash and iron everything, and ship it back. Heaven help the girl who married him!

DJ Biscuit
03-05-2004, 19:37
I suppose that in English we would call this a vest. I think only old men wear them in the UK, and small school boys. I certainly don't, and I don't see the point. Yes it's a little bit square. However, who cares?

tamibliss
03-05-2004, 19:40
hmmm, this is such a weird topic to talk about.

tamibliss
03-05-2004, 19:41
exactly! who cares?

trampler
03-05-2004, 21:06
u must be a real boring c***t when ya start a thread about yer undies!

DPG
03-05-2004, 23:49
Well, I've heard the saying that "a gentleman has a suit for each day of the week, and a real gentleman has one for each day of the fortnight", but I've never heard of anyone going on about an optimum number of vests...

...why not start hassling her about why she has so many pairs of socks or some other innane item - ought to shut her up for a while!

Nagant Guy
04-05-2004, 00:45
I thought only old guys wore those in the US. Just like Mr. Bisquit says about the UK.

Billie Bob
04-05-2004, 00:51
I can't wear a button down shirt without a white t-shirt.

now to look at the russians without a t-shirt underneath, boggles me. when summer comes, they are all sweating right thru the shirts.

DPG
04-05-2004, 01:03
Unless one is to keep one's jacket on permanently, it's considered a 'breach' of dress-etiquette to wear a formal shirt without something underneath it...takes care of the 'see-through' & sweat factors if nothing else.

DJ Biscuit
04-05-2004, 01:05
Originally posted by Billie Bob
I can't wear a button down shirt without a white t-shirt.

now to look at the russians without a t-shirt underneath, boggles me. when summer comes, they are all sweating right thru the shirts.

This is one of the most banal threads ever, however if one wears a vest under a shirt in summer my guess is the sweat level is going to be higher. Just avoid crymline!

CaliforniaAngel
04-05-2004, 09:41
FYI- My russian boyfriend won't wear a button shirt without an undershirt. (He also prefers Friut of the Loom) ;)

Sadie
04-05-2004, 11:20
Originally posted by DJ Biscuit
This is one of the most banal threads ever..

no it's not, it's hilarious!!! notes from the madhouse :) ;)

trampler
04-05-2004, 11:37
What's next, that we discuss if its good to wear white boxers or that its better to choose a darker colour so no skidmarks apear?

Braders
04-05-2004, 18:04
Us Brits have been known to wear this extremely fashionable item.:p

DaveUKagain
04-05-2004, 19:55
I actually bought my ex a "highly fashionable bright yellow designer string vest" once..... yep.... and she looked at me as if I`d lost my marbles. :D Actually, I didn`t like the damn thing, but thought, "That`s the sort of tasteless junk she makes a bee - line for"........ dumb and dumber. :D

Zachariah
04-05-2004, 21:55
Trackman,
Are we talkin' fruit O D loom V-necks or yer standard crew? I became a V-neck man not long after I arrived in the corporate environment. After they sucked out half my brain I returned to Russia the habit stayed with me. I have 7 of these so I make sure I last the week prior to laundry.
It is about time we had a thread that had some sort of relevance, good job Track!
Z

Ghost
05-05-2004, 13:00
I stopped wearing undershirts when I was 12. Occasionally, if it's cold out, I'll wear one with a dress shirt or suit compliment. But if it's warm out, why the hell would I want to add another layer of clothing? If you're concerned about the sweat...that's what they made dry cleaning for.

And Fruit of the Loom? What the hell, is everyone fashion impaired? Try stuff from Eddie Bauer or Structure.

boscoe
05-05-2004, 13:11
What does it matter if itís under your shirt?

Ghost
05-05-2004, 13:14
Sheer quality. FotL undies are really poor quality. A nice pair of structure or J. Crew boxers are not only comfy and perfect fits, but they last much longer. They also look much better on you when you get into those situations where it's not "just under your shirt". :)

Random
05-05-2004, 13:16
How do we know then if your wandering about in a T-shirt that your not actually wandering about in your underwear ??

:confused:

Ghost
05-05-2004, 13:29
What?

Random
05-05-2004, 13:50
Sorry was having a mad moment - guess the question should have been what do you wear under a t-shirt ?

And the follow up is that if your wearing a t-shirt how does that differ from the undershirt...

None undershirt wearer and therfore have no idea what this conversation is about .......

I'll get me coat ...

Zachariah
05-05-2004, 14:16
Random,
You are going to have to issues instructions with this thread?

Ghost,
You are of course correct about FOTL but I did some NAFTA work for these guys in Mexico so I have a connection where I want them to do well. Besides, I always buy the premium line and then in XXL as the shrinkage is sooo bad it will fit me tight about the shoulders after 4 washes. I cannot imagine the shrinkage in the FOTL "Wal-Mart" line.

Of course they (FOTL) also specialize in the "wifebeater" style shirt which is so popular south of the Mason-Dixon. Witness the Avatar of our friend SFJ.

Z

Ghost
05-05-2004, 20:51
I simply would never wear FotL. I guess it's just a personal choice.

Sadie
05-05-2004, 22:11
Ghostik,
Your have kind of dotted changes of moods judging by your avatars. My Mom says iz wrong to aim at ppl, even with a toy-gun :eek: :shame: :eek: :shame: :eek:

Ghost
06-05-2004, 11:00
Don't worry, Sadie. I've never aimed at you.

Or have I?;)