PDA

View Full Version : Why do they do this!!!???

plastique
01-05-2004, 17:58
SOMEONE PLEASE explain the thrill and rush that must be received by getting your picture taken in the mall, on the escalator, at the food court??? wierdest thing ever. but the funniest is watching the girls in these settings striking their best "model pose"--pouty lips and all...

sevan
02-05-2004, 08:32
I bet that some visitors to the Mall of America do the same thing....If you were from a place called Urdmurtia, the Mega Mall would probably be a pretty big deal!

J.D.
02-05-2004, 12:36
I'm always amazed when I see Russians wanting to have their opicture taken with the cow in fromt of moo moos

ReturnOfBroadmoor
02-05-2004, 14:29
Beats the bear picture nonsense in Atrium - last winter a photo stand, including a drugged bear, under heat producing bright lights as hibernation time was approaching, was set up near the movie theatre at Atrium mall. To people's credit, there were practically no takers.

geofizz56
02-05-2004, 15:07
Back in the '70's I spent a summer in Honolulu on a study program. One of the other kids, age about 17, came from Kauai and had never been to a large city. We spent almost an hour riding up and down the escalators in the Waikiki Hilton because she had never seen one before. So I can understand how exciting and overwhelming Moscow must be to kids from small villages.

Braders
02-05-2004, 15:21
Originally posted by ReturnOfBroadmoor
Beats the bear picture nonsense in Atrium - last winter a photo stand, including a drugged bear, under heat producing bright lights as hibernation time was approaching, was set up near the movie theatre at Atrium mall. To people's credit, there were practically no takers.

There are few things that can really get me annoyed, but dragging a defenseless creature with a chain round it's neck for financial gain is one of them.

Glad to say i've not seen a Brown Bear on Novy Arbat for a while, having said that summer is now approaching.

Worst case of animal abuse i've witnessed here was a Brown Bear in that dump they called Moscow Zoo, temperature -25 poor mite was shivering constantly, saw the footage on TV as i rarely step foot in a Zoo.

Jet
02-05-2004, 15:31
Agree, Braders, I think dragging poor brown bear around on the chain is a crime, those who do that are scum

DPG
02-05-2004, 15:33
Agree!

Cringed a bit when I was at the (otherwise very impressive and well performed) circus on Tvetnoy Bulvar and the guy was whacking this poor chimp with a cane after it got a tad out of control and didn't play it's guitar or whatever it was...

The bear thing at the entrance to the 'antiques market' at Izmailovskiy is a shady as well sometimes, I find it ludicrous that all these people stand around umming-and-ahhing at these things which are so evidently drugged up to the eyeballs.

On the original subject of the thread - have you ever flicked though the collective photos of a group of Russian women who have been somewhere together? - do it and you get this funny feeling that your eyes are playing tricks on you, as you go through them only to realise that each one had their photo taken in exactly the same pose, in exactly the same spot by whichever statue or monument it was they were near at the time!

Not that I have anything whatsoever against those "model poses"...especially if the girl in question looks like a model!

DaveUKagain
02-05-2004, 15:46
100% in agreement with RoB and everyone else here. Poor bloody bears. Ahh, DPG, you`re right - I think everyone`s been photographed at the same place on Krasnaya Ploschad - they must have to strengthen the cobbles there or something. :D

ReturnOfBroadmoor
02-05-2004, 16:19
Unfortunately, I know of no SPCA or animal control officer in Moscow; if there were I'd have whipped out my mobile and insisted that someone come down and confiscate the bear. I would have even let the furball hibernate in my living room - he was just a 50-60 kilo cub at the time :). Problem is that my better pipes and most of my alcohol are stored there, and I might have had a problem on my hands when he woke up :).

Something also needs to be done with the animals that are abused by beggars in the center, who use them to garner sympathy. Since these animals are domestic dogs and cats, placing them for adoption would not be difficult.

J.D.
02-05-2004, 16:41
It's no worse that these pussy-whipped hen-pecked husbands I see on figurative leashes.

laika
02-05-2004, 18:23
RoB - I remember how you and some other people decided that I was a stupid, ridiculuos, young and stupid PETA fundamentalist when I told about an unlucky incident with a rescued dog a while back. I don't really like to talk to people that judge others like that (you still have no idea who I am and what the background of my story was) - anyway:

I hate to see the bears dragged around the city as well. I asked the guy at Izmailovsky park where the bears had come from, hoping that his answer would be that they had had nowhere else to go after some circus or something was closed down, but no, the answer was simply "the forest".

Unfortunately, I don't think there is anything anyone can do - or, rather, will do. It might be a crime (a law has been passed about cruelty against animals, if I'm not mistaken), but obviously the police doesn't care. (Hey, isn't prostitution a crime as well?!) Anyway, an organisation that is active in Russia is IFAW, http://www.ifaw.org/, on their site you can find their number. Their work is probably most about information, although I know that they, with the support of the Mayhew Animal Home in London, run a mobile spay clinic, TESS, where they spay stray animals here in Moscow.

As for placing dogs and cats for adoption, what can I say... The only way you can help an animal here is by keeping it yourself. There are a few shelters around town, all privately managed and financed by charities. These places are more than full. Very often there are ladies who take care of 20 animals (or worse...) in their homes. Animals are being adopted, but the number of animals ending up in the street every day is way higher. Now, the city has once again decided that shelters are to be opened in every part of the city - but I would be surprised if anything actually gets organised. (It really needs to be _organised_ and organisation is something that is a contradictive to this place.) A lot of people are working hard to help at least some animals, but there are also a lot of intrigues and dirty business involved in the animal welfare community. I've banged my head against the wall dealing with this, and now I want to stay as far away as possible.

So, the sad truth is that it is very, very difficult to place animals for adoption.

DaveUKagain
02-05-2004, 20:23
"(a law has been passed about cruelty against animals, if I'm not mistaken), but obviously the police doesn't care. (Hey, isn't prostitution a crime as well?!)" - sorry, Laika, I was just wondering what kind of favours the bear would have to do for the policeman to get the right to work Izmailovsky Park.... :D

sandman
02-05-2004, 20:26
I always wanted to start an RSPCA-like vigilante gang that released drugged and chained bears and put chains on those ****** abusing the bears. The offer people on the street a chance to kick the animal abuser for 10 rubles a go. I'm sure you would do a good trade.

Animal-defending vigilante, Sandy.

laika
02-05-2004, 21:31
DaveUK: They definitely seem to have something to offer... ;)

But seriously, it's all sad... :( I remember some hundred years ago (or was it 8), I was studying here and our teacher took us to Tsarytsino. At that time a big brown bear was caged there. He would lie down, and he looked as if he was actually crying, then go up, take the two steps until he came to the corner, turn, take two steps and so on, kind of surprised every time he came to a corner in his 2*3 m cage, then lie down for a bit again and then up again walking around and around... I saw our middle-aged Russian teacher had tears in his eyes and my boyfriend started to cry when we came home... It's a harsh life when people can do things like this - and most often for no apparent reason. Money is usually the reason, of course... I have never returned to the animal market here since the first and last time I was there, I've heard they have been trying to close it or move it inside or something.

It often bothers me when people are standing on the platform in the metro stations with young pups and kittens. I once asked a lady why she didn't put up notes instead so she could sit home, spare the animals the stress and not having to stand there the whole day herself. Instead of answers like "I don't have a phone", "the notes get taken down" or something like that, she started explaining to me that "this is a country of idiots, we're all idiots, we cannot do things in a smart way like you [Westerners, obviously]". Seriously. What do one answer to that? She also said it was "quicker" to stand in the metro, I guess that is some kind of reason. It's just short-sighted - they want to help these animals and they are even making an effort, but they are handing them out to anyone and soon we see them in the streets again... :(

*So why do they have their picture taken in the mall?* ;)

DaveUKagain
02-05-2004, 21:39
Well, you know us Englishmen, Laika - I`m at a pavement cafe in Russia once - over comes a stray dog, Dave here turns into "Stupid tourist" and I`m talking to the dog, giving it some ice cream, wondering where it`s from - big waggy tail (on the dog :-) ) and that curious dog smile - "thanks for the attention" - everyone else looks at it like it wasn`t there......

In my copy of "The Golden Bough" somewhere, it says that Russian peasants used to worship bears - take them in, feed them, fatten them up, treat them like one of the family....... until winter came. ;-) I doubt it`s true, but it`s a very "Russian" story. :D

laika
02-05-2004, 22:23
The opposites are always close here, it seems... one minute friend, the next foe... How nice though to have a big bear to cuddle up near when the winter is cold!

I've always tried to be rational, but this time, after coming here almost every year for 10 years, I'm going home with 2 dogs... so no travelling around Russia before going home, instead we have to save every kopek for their trip! :( Gonna hunt down a few extra jobs as soon as I get home...

ReturnOfBroadmoor
03-05-2004, 00:33
I think that this business of bears on leashes is a modern perversion of the familiarity which peasants and forest dwellers of old had with bears. No idea if anyone actually domesticated ursines back then, but I do not doubt that bears paid visits to peasant homes and were often fed honey and the like when possible. Bear and dog are not far from each other on the evolutionary scheme. Unlike great cats (as in any cat much bigger than a 10 kilo Siberian or Maine Coon) which cannot coexist with humans, bears (not including the much more aggressive polar bears) have been known to bond to human beings, including both forest dwelling peasants and scientists who study bears and other wildlife. However, they can cause severe damage as they do not know their own strength, and often think of a human being as another bear with which they can play rough, in bear fashion.

yuriobass
03-05-2004, 16:10
DO YOU CARE????

Braders
03-05-2004, 16:20
Originally posted by yuriobass
DO YOU CARE????

About girls striking a pose in the middle of a shopping centre or cruelty to animals?.

yuriobass
03-05-2004, 22:23
cruelty to animals should not be tolerated, but as far as girls go, I really don't give a damn

Zachariah
03-05-2004, 23:23
Originally posted by plastique
SOMEONE PLEASE explain the thrill and rush that must be received by getting your picture taken in the mall, on the escalator, at the food court??? wierdest thing ever. but the funniest is watching the girls in these settings striking their best "model pose"--pouty lips and all...

P-Gurrrl,
Thank you for reminding me. Can we get together before you head off on vacation to AZ and I to Pitt and get some pix together on the escalator at the manezh? I love dem der pics on the stairs. Reminds me of prom night 19..................oh Jeez, not here.
Z

J.D.
04-05-2004, 07:26
Anybody read Clan of The Cave Bear?

plastique
04-05-2004, 20:16
sorry zach..gotta wait for that photo session till i get back!

Zachariah
04-05-2004, 21:42
Originally posted by plastique
sorry zach..gotta wait for that photo session till i get back!
Am I like the biggest loser ever or what??
Hey, you have fun!

Alethea
08-05-2004, 23:40
guys,

I'm with you on cruelty to animals. Moscow zoo sucks!

Let's look at the brighter side of a problem:

KINDNESS TO ANIMALS

If I went vegetarian

And didn't eat lambs for dinner,

I think I'd be a better person

And also thinner.

But the lamb is not endangered

And at least I can truthfully say

I have never, ever eaten a barn owl,

So perhaps I'm OK.

(Wendy Cope)

ReturnOfBroadmoor
09-05-2004, 00:08
Moscow Zoo is getting better, but it has a long way to go. It needs to be relocated to the edge of the city where there is more land. Compared to Budapest and Prague, the animals, and especially the predators, have very little room. In addition, new attractions, such as "feed a corrupt cop to the polar bears" should be instituted.

Ned Kelly
09-05-2004, 00:12
RoB, the poor bears would choke on them.

Alethea
09-05-2004, 00:31
a problem will arise when the polar bears begin to control traffic after they have eaten the last cop.

Miss B
09-05-2004, 00:35
Originally posted by Alethea
a problem will arise when the polar bears begin to control traffic after they have eaten the last cop.
I think we won't notice any change in Moscow...

Alethea
09-05-2004, 00:39
that's true, my dear, because the core problem is not cops, but drivers;)

Miss B
09-05-2004, 00:59
at least bears don't take bribes (or whatever it's called)

Alethea
09-05-2004, 01:08
Good point. They will fine drivers for speeding by biting their flesh :D yuk!
[a live picture to The Merchant of Venice]

ReturnOfBroadmoor
09-05-2004, 12:45
Not just traffic cops - also regular cops who, for example, arrest practitioners of the oldest profession so as to enjoy their services free of charge.

Miss B
09-05-2004, 12:50
Originally posted by ReturnOfBroadmoor
Not just traffic cops - also regular cops who, for example, arrest practitioners of the oldest profession so as to enjoy their services free of charge.
I suppose to these 'practitioners' it also doesn't matter who will enjoy their services.... bears or cops.... quite close notions...

francis
09-05-2004, 14:01
Sorry to offer nothing hopeful, but 5 years of living here have convinced me that, for all their wonderful qualities, Russians are a brutally primitive race when it comes to consideration of our fellow creatures' welfare. They're a hundred years behind, although saying so may even be to lavish flattery on them by offering the prospect of change over time.

They have their pictures taken in the mall, sometimes with drugged up exotic creatures like tiger cubs and porcupines. They queue up for it. Why? It's a Big White Hunter thing. Trophies without the discomfort and risk of obtaining them on safari. If you can come up with the money for it, you can get anything you want here, and the Things You Want here haven't grown out of decades of democratic traditions and civil society, but Fear, Persecution and Brutality. And here's democracy suddenly, and the free market, and it's interpreted as freedom to do anything you can get away with doing...

Part of their general failure to address issues of animal welfare comes from Russians' curious refusal to regard themselves too as animals.

I know quite a few Russians who are exceptions to this general rule, who are essentially the kindest people I've ever met and who go out of their way to help any creature. But the majority are still at a stage of humanitarian development which cries out for one of those mysterious monoliths in A.C.Clarke's 2001 to descend from above help them along with their evolution.

If this offends any Russians, well, great. Respond to me and maybe I'll be able to understand you better. In the meantime stop laughing at 'Bomzhi' and Greenpeace and black people as if they're great cosmic jokes sent here for your general amusement.

Miss B
09-05-2004, 14:05
Originally posted by francis
In the meantime stop laughing at 'Bomzhi' and Greenpeace and black people as if they're great cosmic jokes sent here for your general amusement.

aren't they???

francis
09-05-2004, 14:08
Whereever you are, you must have been there too long. But don't worry, you're not the only one

Miss B
09-05-2004, 14:13
Oh you are wrong, baby...
I'm the most caring creature of all

Just can't pass such a sweet thing as 'bomzh'... Always bring them home and make them look like people...

I wish I could shelter them all

francis
09-05-2004, 14:17
...but every time you let them stay they beat you up and steal your cuff links, right?

Miss B
09-05-2004, 14:26
No...
but seeing them I really realize that a man is also an animal

francis
09-05-2004, 14:31
And where would you slot yourself into this fascinating evolutionary scheme of your own design?

Miss B
09-05-2004, 14:36
And where would you slot yourself into this fascinating evolutionary scheme of your own design?

I'm not in this scheme! What evolution has to do with me?
I'm above that...

francis
09-05-2004, 14:40
yeah, right. Well, we all like a laugh, I guess, but there's the whiff of a maggot-infested morality lurking somewhere behind your flippant remarks

Miss B
09-05-2004, 14:49
Oh come on... people are the same everywhere...
and they don't care about anything that is out of their 'private zone'

francis
09-05-2004, 14:57
true of most people, unfortunately, but not all. what happened to all that John Donne 'no man is an island' stuff?

Miss B
09-05-2004, 15:03
true of most people, unfortunately, but not all. what happened to all that John Donne 'no man is an island' stuff?
Don't know who that John Donne is... but if he said this I don't agree with him

francis
09-05-2004, 15:09
Sorry if this is misquoted:"...No man is an island, entirely of itself. Every man's death diminishes me, for I am of mankind. And therefore, never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee."

Miss B
09-05-2004, 15:17
I'm gonna cry...

And wipping my tears I still think that Mr Donne a bit exaggerated his love to others...
I also can say many nice touching things... but it won't mean that I feel so

Miss B
09-05-2004, 15:20
There is a russian proverb: 'less people - more oxygen'

francis
09-05-2004, 16:08
kind of proves what I was saying earlier about you Russians, and explains why all Russians with brains tend to try to emigrate

Miss B
09-05-2004, 16:12
I also wouldn't miss an apportunity to emigrate :D

Matt Bury
10-05-2004, 00:07
Hi there people! I'm new here and I'm still trying to work out how to use this site...

This is a bit off topic, but I'm looking for a little helpful advice and perhaps some useful information.

I'm a TEFL teacher with 4 years experience and I'm thinknig about working in Moscow or St. Petersburg next academic year (Starting September). I've searched on the internet for the name s and websites of English schools but I've only managed to find the usual big, international corporations such as BKC and EF.

What are the schools there like?
How many of them are there?
What are their typical timetables like? (Teaching hours)
What are the wages like? (What's a reasonable wage over there?)
What kind of students do they typically get? (i.e. school kids, adults, business, etc... )
Is there anything else I should know? (In general or particular)

Any help you can give me will be very appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt.

Matt Bury
10-05-2004, 00:30
There you are talking about going just when I'm thinking about coming!

DaveUKagain
10-05-2004, 00:35
Matt, go uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuppppp to the top of the page and look at the FAQ. You may also want to try searching the forums - all the advice on TEFL`s been posted many, many times.