PDA

View Full Version : to or not

Albertina
07-05-2008, 21:58
I am contemplating now... should I stay here, sit in the outside cafe in a warm weather sipping coffee and cheap but good red wine, surrounded by smiling friendly people, go shopping for half-price of Moscow prices, eat out for 15-20 Euro in nice restaurants, buy groceries for a week for 50 Euro including fresh fruits and vegetables, or should I come back to Moscow ?!
HELP!

MickeyTong
08-05-2008, 00:24
Follow your heart, Albertina

Transparent Theatre
08-05-2008, 00:28
You can eat out in Moscow for 15-20 euros too. I even wrote a newspaper article about it this week (in The Independent, London - which Orion calls "fishwrap") :)

Can't help about cheap red wine in Moscow of course, but what price is beer, vodka or cognac where you are? ;)

Bels
08-05-2008, 00:35
I don't give a damn, as they say. Now a first I thought this was a sal thread and I was ready to rant and tell him where to go. But in this case, I don't give a toss. Carry on or go, it's up to you. Just the same as if I asked the question, they would simply tell me to do as I please, it doesn't matter.

Sal's a different matter, they would simply tell him he's welcome to buzz off :)

Bels
08-05-2008, 00:39
Oh Lord..... no one answered her for almost 24 hrs and then after my post then you start doing it..... or I am a genius in manipulating expats …or you are very but very predictable. :7534:

I didn notice before in new posts, perhaps you did a favour in re livening it. It someimes happens', and sometime threads don't show up in new posts. Sometime very good threads disappear unnoticed, it happens here.

Bels
08-05-2008, 01:08
We have some very good social posts here which I must admit gets the biggest views. We also have serious informative posts here which I am sure are appreciated for those involved. I have recieved much thanks on these serious issues as living in Moscow, the red-tape in Moscows, such as residency, education, visas, teaching, working, doing business. All of this appreciation keeps me going on expat.ru as I feel I am doing something useeful for expat.ru sometimes PM, although I normally make clear I prefer public, but sometimes PM is necessary. I'm sure I'm sure I'm not the only member in this situation. No! this site is both informative and sociable, and the proof is available to all.

Mirka
08-05-2008, 08:29
I would stay where you are :)

kapione
08-05-2008, 08:48
where are you now??? if it is good we can all join you ! do you have room for us ?

Orion
08-05-2008, 09:20
I even wrote a newspaper article about it this week (in The Independent, London - which Orion calls "fishwrap")

With this evidence, the Independent's status as a "Fishwrap" has now been irrefutably CONFIRMED!!!!!

Transparent Theatre
08-05-2008, 09:55
With this evidence, the Independent's status as a "Fishwrap" has now been irrefutably CONFIRMED!!!!!

Of course, Orion - you'll let us know when you get published anywhere, won't you??

I won't hold my breath!! ROFL!!! Even Blowhard Knuckledragger Monthly has standards to keep up.

MissAnnElk
08-05-2008, 10:18
Kids, kids . . . we're hijacking Albertina's thread! Back to the subject at hand: is Moscow compelling enough to return to?

I guess it depends on several things including job satisfaction and where your lovers are. Without that information, I'd say sounds like you are in a far, far better place . . .

AndreyS
08-05-2008, 10:29
Yes it is! Red wine for 69 roubles a bottle 0,7 liter in Sedmoy Continent. Absolutely compelling. I even drink it! Being not as picky as Penelope I find it tasty. And feel good in the morning (like now).

Orion
08-05-2008, 10:54
Of course, Orion - you'll let us know when you get published anywhere, won't you??

I crossed that off my "Things to do in Life" list nearly ten years ago. But thanks for asking!

But as for MAE's comment..."lovers", plural? Perhaps that is the reason for the relocation!

No, what I would say to Albertina is this: Are you wedded to this place or any other? Is there any reason that you HAVE to be in any particular place? If not, then explore, enjoy, and keep collecting the memories of your life.

AndreyS
08-05-2008, 10:57
If not, then explore, enjoy, and keep collecting the memories of your life.

Feel free, I would say. Personally I miss her.

Orion
08-05-2008, 11:51
Feel free, I would say. Personally I miss her.

Yes...but her location wouldn't prevent her participation on the site. Hopefully she would still contribute!

elis
08-05-2008, 12:01
I am contemplating now... should I stay here, sit in the outside cafe in a warm weather sipping coffee and cheap but good red wine, surrounded by smiling friendly people, go shopping for half-price of Moscow prices, eat out for 15-20 Euro in nice restaurants, buy groceries for a week for 50 Euro including fresh fruits and vegetables, or should I come back to Moscow ?!
HELP!

As others have asked, where is here? As Luna and I have yet to meet you, we think you should come back to Moscow. That said, cheap red wine (which I'm assuming is good cheap red wine), fresh veggies (although I have been finding some wonderful fresh spinach here recently), warm weather, and smiling people . . . Isn't the choice obvious?

I didn notice before in new posts, perhaps you did a favour in re livening it. It someimes happens', and sometime threads don't show up in new posts. Sometime very good threads disappear unnoticed, it happens here.

Thank you Bels!! I thought I was the only one who had the problem. I've started threads and then never seen answers in "new posts" or "iSPY" and thought that people were just blowing me off. Then days and days later, by total mistake, I'll stumble upon the thread and will see that people actually did respond. So they probably think I'm the a*****e for not acknowledging them.

(Sorry Albertina, didn't mean to hijack.)

elis
08-05-2008, 12:04
Yes it is! Red wine for 69 roubles a bottle 0,7 liter in Sedmoy Continent. Absolutely compelling. I even drink it! Being not as picky as Penelope I find it tasty. And feel good in the morning (like now).

Get out!!! :jawdrop: What kind of wine is it, exactly?

Albertina
08-05-2008, 12:19
It's a secret where I am! If you all come here , things will get more expensive :rasta: :)
Elis, I am coming back. Want to meet Luna and you :irule:

How is the weather?!

Orion
08-05-2008, 12:29
It's cool here...everyone's wearing jackets again.

elis
08-05-2008, 12:49
But the sun's out. And the flowers are blooming.

elis
08-05-2008, 12:52
Elis, I am coming back. Want to meet Luna and you :irule:

Giving up all that, just for us. WOW! Tell us when you're coming back and we'll throw you a Welcome Back party. :mml:

AndreyS
08-05-2008, 13:00
Get out!!! :jawdrop: What kind of wine is it, exactly?

It's so called Kagor. Russian sweet wine. I can post a pic but only tomorrow.

elis
08-05-2008, 13:25
It's so called Kagor. Russian sweet wine. I can post a pic but only tomorrow.

Thanks Andrey! Although, I must admit the word "sweet" turned me off. I'm a Chianti, Valpolicella, and Montepulciano girl myself.

Transparent Theatre
08-05-2008, 13:31
It's so called Kagor.

:yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

Italian Trebbiano white table wine is 87R in Perekrestok right now, if you are looking for drinkable wine under 100R.

AndreyS
08-05-2008, 14:08

Italian Trebbiano white table wine is 87R in Perekrestok right now, if you are looking for drinkable wine under 100R.

Personally I prefer red wine. ;-)

Transparent Theatre
08-05-2008, 14:26
Personally I prefer red wine. ;-)

Personally I prefer wine ;)

AndreyS
08-05-2008, 14:31
Personally I prefer wine ;)

Uhh my secretary is irritatingly banging on about nanotechnologies! LOL
I sent her away!
OK, you dislike red wine...

Transparent Theatre
08-05-2008, 14:58
OK, you dislike red wine...

Nooooooo, I love red wine....

...I dislike Kagor ;) And I dislike Feteasca too ;)

SalTheReturn
10-05-2008, 15:11
she is in italy of course

anyway pretty funny coz i have done what she does all my life except for the few times i got working

TT, i do not think it is not a question of 20dollars on a meal, it is a question of lifestyle, the air you breathe, and the degree of laziness the country you are in allow you to enjoy

i have seen what means working 14hrs a day, that sucks mate, sucks.

Albertina
10-05-2008, 18:32
she is in italy of course

Is this why you voted that I should not return to Moscow :)

I was offered a position in Milano, but turned it down.

AndreyS
10-05-2008, 18:56
Is this why you voted that I should not return to Moscow :)

I was offered a position in Milano, but turned it down.

And what? Bad position?

Albertina
10-05-2008, 19:00
And what? Bad position?

No, not my favourite city in Europe.

AndreyS
10-05-2008, 19:02
No, not my favourite city in Europe.

So job is not a main thing is it?

Albertina
10-05-2008, 19:03
So job is not a main thing is it?

No, it's the men!

AndreyS
10-05-2008, 19:04
No, it's the men!
Spot on! So what is main?

Albertina
10-05-2008, 19:05
No, it's the men!

I mean the fewer of them around the better :jester:

AndreyS
10-05-2008, 19:07

Yes. BTW I found out what Pilates is. All women around. And of course not a mountain in Switzerland ;-).

Albertina
10-05-2008, 19:09
Yes. BTW I found out what Pilates is. All women around. And of course not a mountain in Switzerland ;-).

Geez and how is THAT relevant! You've got a monkey mind :10241:

AndreyS
10-05-2008, 19:12

How about your photo doing Pilates?

MickeyTong
10-05-2008, 19:21
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRk6x2yj_pk

Albertina
10-05-2008, 20:04
How about your photo doing Pilates?
AndreyS, you are playing with fire here. Not all mods and admins here are my enemies :doh:

AndreyS
10-05-2008, 20:08
AndreyS, you are playing with fire here. Not all mods and admins here are my enemies :doh:

Of course no, they are good people. Do you think I am breaking the rules?

Albertina
10-05-2008, 20:12
Do you think I am breaking the rules?

d'uh!, but only for half a year, though. Perhaps you have giraffe's speed of reaction :10475:;)

Albertina
10-05-2008, 20:16
d'uh!, but only for half a year, though. Perhaps you have giraffe's speed of reaction :10475:;)

What takes you so long to respond :iloveyou:

AndreyS
10-05-2008, 20:18

I must be punished then. Report me right now.

AndreyS
10-05-2008, 20:19
What takes you so long to respond :iloveyou:

My bird-brain takes time to think up a reply.

Albertina
10-05-2008, 20:30
My bird-brain takes time to think up a reply.

You must be an intellectual. :shhhhhh:
People like me always have a quick answer :jester:

AndreyS
10-05-2008, 20:33
You must be an intellectual. :shhhhhh:
People like me always have a quick answer :jester:

I used to be. Nowadays I am just an old fart. ;-(

anthonycasey
11-05-2008, 03:11
HELP!
Where did you get cheap but good red wine in Moscow! Tell! Tell!

Albertina
11-05-2008, 20:59
Where did you get cheap but good red wine in Moscow! Tell! Tell!

it was far away from moscow!nthat's the point...

MissAnnElk
11-05-2008, 21:30
I guess it depends on several things including job satisfaction and where your lovers are. . .

No, it's the men!

AH HA! See!!!!

oh. hmmm. that's not the angle i thought you'd take.

elis
12-05-2008, 00:54
Is it still a hijack if you're back in town?

Thanks for the tip, TT. Ran out of my usual and got some of this today. (For 79R.) Not bad. Not bad at all. If I get a headache in the morning, though . . . I'll come looking for you.:agree:

Transparent Theatre
12-05-2008, 10:32
Not bad. Not bad at all. If I get a headache in the morning, though . . . I'll come looking for you.:agree:

I find if you whack it in the fridge until it's really chilled (overnight, ideally) it's quite acceptable, eh? ;)

Now if only there was a nice Valpolicella for the same price?! :cry:

Has anyone seen Georgian wine come back on the shelves yet? They said it was going to happen, but I've seen none so far :(

elis
12-05-2008, 11:36
Now if only there was a nice Valpolicella for the same price?! :cry:
Agreed!!

Has anyone seen Georgian wine come back on the shelves yet? They said it was going to happen, but I've seen none so far :(

I would love to try one. But even if it were on the shelves I wouldn't know, as I can't really read the labels and wouldn't know what to look for.

I've wanted to try some of the "local vintages" but just can't figure out which bottle to pick at random. I'd hate to discover I've brought home something that tastes like Blue Nun or Thunderbird. Yikes!!