PDA

View Full Version : Russian nationality

FrenchRussian
06-05-2008, 12:55
I have a question on how to get Russian nationality when you are a foreigner.

I have been married for 7 years with a russian woman. After 2 years, she then got French passport/French nationality and has now 2 passports: A Russian passport and a French passport. We have also a son who has both French and Russian nationality.

I am living currenly working in Russia for already 2 years on a working visa regime. I was wondering if it is possible for me to follow my wife and son example by getting a Russian passport/Russian nationality while keeping my French nationality. When I looked at it a few years ago, it seemed to be difficult as my understanding is that I have first to give up my French citizenship before applying for a Russian one.

Could anyone shed light on that ? I am just surprised that it seems that there is no reciprocity between France and Russia on this topic. Is there a way for a foreigner to get Russian nationality (or a 5 years/10 years residence-working permit) ?

Thanks

06-05-2008, 17:13
As you are married since more than 3 years with a RF citizen you may receive the RF citizenship immediately assuming you have a residence permit. Work permit does not allow this. You must then apply for the reseidence permit, then you can get the RF citizenship in 2 or 3 months.

In your application to receive the RF citizenship you must enclose the copy of a letter that you send to the french embassy in Moscow saying that you will resign to your french citizenship as soon as you receive the RF citizenship. You must also enclose in your application a proof of sending of this letter (receipt from the post office). Without this letter, you will be declined for the RF citizenship.

So in fact you do not "first give up your french citizenship", you just promise to let it as soon as you receive the RF one. Sure that nobody in the RF authorities has power to verify if you really resigned after you got the RF citizenship, but in case of problem later, if it is blattant that you didn't resign, your RF citizenship will be canceled, and then better not to even think about a residence permit... Black list.

Bah! What are the advantages of an European citizenship, now, apart travelling without visa? If you love Russia, love it completely, become Russian :)

> Is there a way for a foreigner to get Russian nationality (or a 5 years/10 years residence-working permit) ?

"or 5 years RP"? Yes sure, you are not concerned by quotas as married to a RF citizen, but the process to get the RP is the same than for anybody else. There are a lot of threads here.

FrenchRussian
06-05-2008, 18:13
Guest,

Thanks for the post. I love Russia but giving up French nationality, red wine, croissants..... :nono:

I began to read rules about resident permit. Threads are mainly explaining process how to get it.

Could you tell me what it means practically to have a resident permit for 5 years ? Is it like a 5 year visa giving right to work ? Or do you need anyway to add every year to your residence permit a working visa ?

Thanks

06-05-2008, 20:04
Well, if your french patriotism is just red wine and croissants, well... You are right, no need to become Russian :D Here we ask a little more :D

Oh, about red wine, a french guy who manages a (french) restaurant here told me that Bojolais is now mainly only for export, as it is so bad that frenchies do not want to drink it... So they export it to Japan... and Russia :(

Seriously now: A RP (not the TEMPORARY work permit) allows you to work without work permit/visa. The RP is valid 5 years, and can be renewed "for life", 5 years by 5 years.

To get this RP you must first get the TEMPORARY RP, valid 3 years. After one year under this TEMPORARY RP, you may apply for the RP. Same process than for the TRP.

RRM
06-05-2008, 20:42
To get the temporary permit is a nightmare I heard. My wife is also Russian and I started working here since three weeks ago I originally planned on being here for 2 to 3 years as an expat. But some say, go and get the Temporary Residency. My only issue with the temporary permit is that everytime you have to leave Russia, you have to get an exit visa. This takes up to 21 days. So basically if I have a family emergency in your home country, this becomes a bad option. That is the only thing holding me back.

Bels
06-05-2008, 22:12
To get the temporary permit is a nightmare I heard. My wife is also Russian and I started working here since three weeks ago I originally planned on being here for 2 to 3 years as an expat. But some say, go and get the Temporary Residency. My only issue with the temporary permit is that everytime you have to leave Russia, you have to get an exit visa. This takes up to 21 days. So basically if I have a family emergency in your home country, this becomes a bad option. That is the only thing holding me back.

To get residency permit is a nightmare here because the administration service is so slow. I think they should look at the examples of Briain on how they administrate a fiance visa. They raised the application price to £900. In so doing they promised a fast efficient service. With all documents in order, you will have an answer within 24 hours. Now if the FMS could do such a service , I woud have been very happy to pay such a fee,if the would provide the same efficiency of service. What! 24 hrs compared to 7 months wait.

It would be well worth paying £900 FMS, as in the long term would save me money, time, and the luxury of staying with my family, rather than to do two trips to my own country , to renew my visa

You might be right about the issue of it taking 21 days to get an exit visa. Administration services are slow here

FrenchRussian
07-05-2008, 10:44
Ok. All seems to be complicated as usual not only in Russia but with administration in general (I can not really say that the French one is more efficient). What I am very surprised of is that usually, countries work with the principle of reciprocity (true for visa, taxes, extradition…). It does not seem to be the case with nationality.

Indeed, my wife got French nationality. Law in France was (before Sarkozy’s election) that if you are wife/husband of French citizen, you can get after 1 year of marriage and then a long and lengthy process (interviews in French to check language and motivation, criminal record,....) that lasts usually 1 year get French nationality. This is not an easy process (and it should not be easy) but this is possible. My wife did not have to refuse from her Russian nationality to get the French one.

I will nevertheless check as I heard also that some countries have some agreement with Russia about you not being obliged to send a letter showing that you intend to refuse from your nationality. I just do not know if France is part of such a list, probably not.

07-05-2008, 12:50
I will nevertheless check as I heard also that some countries have some agreement with Russia about you not being obliged to send a letter showing that you intend to refuse from your nationality. I just do not know if France is part of such a list, probably not.

1- You MUST send a letter to French consulate if you apply for RF citizenship.

2- When you receive the RF citizenship, Russian administration automatically informs french authorities that you got it. Then, frenchies does whatever they want :)

07-05-2008, 12:53
It would be well worth paying £900 FMS, as in the long term would save me money, time, and the luxury of staying with my family, rather than to do two trips to my own country , to renew my visa

But here too, if you give tips, you won't wait 7 months! The only difference is that in your country tips are official, here no :D

RRM
07-05-2008, 13:35
The Russian embassies give you visa's quicker if you pay more. And this is official. XXX dollars for 24 hour processing, XXX for next day, XXX for two days and the list goes on.

But here too, if you give tips, you won't wait 7 months! The only difference is that in your country tips are official, here no :D

Bels
07-05-2008, 19:37
The Russian embassies give you visa's quicker if you pay more. And this is official. XXX dollars for 24 hour processing, XXX for next day, XXX for two days and the list goes on.

That's my point, how about a 24 hour express temporary residency, I know they can do it, after all the papers and documents are ready for them , signed, stamped, legalised, and translated. So what's this seven months wait all about?

rumson
19-06-2008, 18:47
In your application to receive the RF citizenship you must enclose the copy of a letter that you send to the french embassy in Moscow saying that you will resign to your french citizenship as soon as you receive the RF citizenship. You must also enclose in your application a proof of sending of this letter (receipt from the post office). Without this letter, you will be declined for the RF citizenship

Fear not. The letter you send has no legal standing. The French Embassy will bin it. To renounce you citizenship, you have to go through an elaborate procedure.

In the case of the UK, if you renounce your citizenship to obtain a foreign citizenship, you can reclaim it at a later date. It's the same for most EU countries.

Fear not, you will not lose your citizenship unless you are really determined to!