PDA

View Full Version : The Barber of Siberia

MissAnnElk
06-05-2008, 10:41
A friend lent us this movie, and we watched it last night.

While it is flawed, it is also delightful, charming, entertaining, funny, sad, passionate . . . with great shots of the Kremlin, Kolomenskoe, and Novodevichiy. You may know another movie by the same director called Burnt by the Sun (a much more serious movie).

I somehow got it into my head that Julia Ormand, one of the leads, is French. Oops. She's a Brit.

It's long, but worth watching. I recommend it.

AndreyS
06-05-2008, 11:09

While it is flawed, it is also delightful, charming, entertaining, funny, sad, passionate . . . with great shots of the Kremlin, Kolomenskoe, and Novodevichiy. You may know another movie by the same director called Burnt by the Sun (a much more serious movie).

I somehow got it into my head that Julia Ormand, one of the leads, is French. Oops. She's a Brit.

Kremlin, Kolomenskoye, Novodevichi - all that stuff is within walking distance from you Ann. Just go there and enjoy. ;-)

I heard a fortune was spent on this film but not all money came back, so it's not commercially successful (to say the least). Despite being delightful.

MissAnnElk
06-05-2008, 11:12
Kremlin, Kolomenskoye, Novodevichi - all that stuff is within walking distance from you Ann. Just go there and enjoy. ;-)

I heard a fortune was spent on this film but not all money came back, so it's not commercially successful (to say the least). Despite being delightful.

I HAVE been to all the locations (okay, not yet Siberia . . .). That was part of the fun of the movie.

AndreyS
06-05-2008, 11:16
I HAVE been to all the locations (okay, not yet Siberia . . .). That was part of the fun of the movie.

Ann, sorry, I was joking!
Of course you have.

MissAnnElk
06-05-2008, 11:18
Since I just got to the Kremlin this week, you can't assume anything with me!
:zoom:

AndreyS
06-05-2008, 11:21
Since I just got to the Kremlin this week, you can't assume anything with me!
:zoom:

LOL!

Transparent Theatre
06-05-2008, 11:25
If you liked Menshikov in that, you might enjoy him in the film EAST:WEST too.

MissAnnElk
06-05-2008, 11:29
If you liked Menshikov in that, you might enjoy him in the film EAST:WEST too.

He was adorable.

I'll look for EAST:WEST. Thanks.

xSnoofovich
06-05-2008, 12:21
why was it flawed?

MissAnnElk
06-05-2008, 12:26
why was it flawed?

It IS very long. Some scenes could have been shorter. That said, I understand the version released in theaters was shorter and that caused problems following the plot as important scenes were cut. I thought the Shrovetide scene went on too long as did the scene where the cadets wax the ballroom floor.

Not everyone has been thrilled with Ormand's performance, although it didn't bother me as much as it bothered my husband.

One could get distracted by the portrayal of one American character and suggest that there was some subtext to the fact that this guy doesn't know who Mozart was. I didn't see it as a comment on US culture, but as a plot device.

Things happen that you just have to accept . . . it's a story.

But nothing that would keep me from watching it again.

Korotky Gennady
06-05-2008, 14:36

. Oh... Ann. It's so fake movie... this 'barber"... It's the movie in the number of movies I hate.

It shows the history of Russia in the false light.

Transparent Theatre
06-05-2008, 14:37
In case you didn't find it already, there's an online store (Russian only, sorry!) which offers the best choice of books, movies, dvd, music, etc for competitive prices, and with delivery to your home or work.

Интернет-магазин OZON.ru - книги, видео, музыка, софт, игры, электроника, dvd, антиквариат (http://www.ozon.ru)

It's like a clone of Amazon (and clearly modelled on it - they are also a fulfilment partner for Amazon) although not such a wide range of stock. But it you want Russian stuff at Russian prices, they have the best range, and it saves you touring-around the grim kiosks in Metro-station passageways :)

kirk10071
06-05-2008, 14:38
I have used it many times and they always deliver exactly what you want and right to your door. It is one of my favorite "stores" in Moscow.

Korotky Gennady
06-05-2008, 14:40
But nothing that would keep me from watching it again.Nothing can force me watching it one more time. :jawdrop:

Korotky Gennady
06-05-2008, 14:41
Ann, I'll give the list of best russian movies to watch.

Korotky Gennady
06-05-2008, 14:45
and it saves you touring-around the grim kiosks in Metro-station passageways :)Neil, you can go to the "Gorbushka" market. Near the FILI park. There they have whatever... whatever you want... and at very low prices in fact. The Gorbushka market is considered as the best video market in Russia since 80s...

Transparent Theatre
06-05-2008, 15:13
Neil, you can go to the "Gorbushka" market. Near the FILI park. There they have whatever... whatever you want... and at very low prices in fact. The Gorbushka market is considered as the best video market in Russia since 80s...

Oh, I've been using Gorbushka since it was still outdoors in the park ;)

I agree, it can be very cheap for latest releases, and for a small selection of "golden retro". But if I want anything unusual, I find Ozon better - and also it saves me a trip at the weekend to Bagrationovskaya :) Maybe I am just getting old, but the idea to search for some obscure recording of Richter from my computer, with a nice cup of coffee, is so much more attractive than pushing through crowds at Gorbushka and searching by hand :)

Having said that, Gorbushka is a great place to pick up a bargain if you are not looking for something specific - for sure you'll find some unexpected thing there on display :)

Periwinkle
06-05-2008, 23:06
I saw it a long time ago - what I remember is the American female lead had me gritting my teeth - horrible to watch.

Korotky Gennady
06-05-2008, 23:43
what I remember is the American female lead had me gritting my teeth - horrible to watch.Why so ? She is pretty enough there...

hazelnut
07-05-2008, 22:22
Hi MissAnn,
it's so nice to hear you've watched a Russian movie and liked it.
In Russia it has been taken controversially.
The director Nikita Michalkof is quite a personality in contemporary Russia's cultural processes, such a main-stream figure, enjoying both fame in cinematograph and some high official positions. He appears in the movie as the Tzar (on a white horse!- he must have been enjoying playing the game!).
He is a great professional indeed, made some really good pics, but not this one IMHO. that "barber of siberia" is like a varnished matreshka, nice and touching, but neither it's anything authentic nor can it compare with some really good Russain films. Nevertheless, as you said it's just a story, and I'm glad you liked it. Actors are really great, with Oleg Menshikof leading, and Julia Ormond is charming.

Umutt65
07-05-2008, 23:06
Ive seen it. Great movie!

Korotky Gennady
07-05-2008, 23:07
The List of the fifteen best soviet (russian ) movies from me.

1. Броненосец Потемкин. ( Эйзенштейн as film-director)
2. Чапаев
3. Иван Грозный (2-3 parts Эйзенштейн film director )
4. Женитьба Бальзаминова
5. 41-th
5. Карнавальная Ночь ( Рязанов )
6. Летят журавли
7. Операция "Ы" ( Гайдай )
8. Кавказская Пленница ( Гайдай )
9. Брилиантовая Рука ( Гайдай )
10. 17 мгновений весны
11. Белое солнце пустыни
12. Свой среди чужих и чужой среди своих ( Михалков )
13. Приключения Мюнхаузена (Захаров )
14. Брат - 1 (Балабанов )
15. Груз 200 (Балабанов )

jumatre
08-05-2008, 00:33
The List of the tvelfe best soviet (russian ) movies from me.

1. Броненосец Потемкин. (
2. Чапаев (
3. Иван Грозный (2-3 parts )
4. Женидьба
5. 41-th
5. Карнавальная Ночь
6. Летят журавли
7. Операция "Ы"
8. Кавказская Пленница
9. Брилиантовая Рука
10. 17 мгновений весны
11. Свой среди чужих и чужой среди своих
12. Приключения Мюнхаузена
12. Брат - 1
13. Груз 200

Good evening KG, I have been discussing your list, with which I agree to 50%.
My better part (= wife) disagrees absolutey with your list and says that there are some of the most important soviet/russian films missing... It seems that you russians have at least the same discrepancies regarding films as we spaniards... As I dont know the soviet/russians films from the last 30 years, and know of course the films from the first decades of the XX century (Potemkhin, Mother, October) which are real masterpieces of the film industry, dont want to interfere here...

Korotky Gennady
08-05-2008, 02:18
As I dont know the soviet/russians films from the last 30 years, and know of course the films from the first decades of the XX century (Potemkhin, Mother, October) which are real masterpieces of the film industry, dont want to interfere here... It is... and if your wife is educated enough, then what can she say against these masterpieces ? :yikes: And what soviet/russian movies were missed by me in her opinion ?