PDA

View Full Version : teachers beware

kapione
06-05-2008, 07:39
Teachers beware of gettting offers from SAMSUNG corp. The HR woman will contact you , then delay you and delay you.... she wants lessons below a livable and realistic value ..... she wants to have only 50 minute lessons (really not a way to teach students, not enough time).and as many as 11 students in a group! too many for just 50 minutes .

you have to charge her for the time DO NOT LOW BALL YOURSELVES

PM me for details if she tried to play games with you

Bels
06-05-2008, 12:31
Teachers beware of gettting offers from SAMSUNG corp. The HR woman will contact you , then delay you and delay you.... she wants lessons below a livable and realistic value ..... she wants to have only 50 minute lessons (really not a way to teach students, not enough time).and as many as 11 students in a group! too many for just 50 minutes .

It's all about supply and demand. I get such requests from time to time, and especially around September, when I'm already busy. You are the private teacher, you set the price and stick to it, ask her and the students to come to you. Don't allow them to waste your time.

The number of time I've been criticised that my fees are un-marketable, yet what they don't realise that both my wife and I are getting busier and busier each year.

Teachers must learn not to accept cheap rates, they are letting themselves down, and other EFL teachers.

Bels
06-05-2008, 12:38
For adults, this is how I do it. For a student to complete one level of English they will need at least 120 hours of study. 3 lessons of two academic hours a week is recommended. That's a total of 6 academic hours a week.

Listen to your teacher, otherwise don't waste my time. That's what I have stated many times :) It works, or they don't call back :)

kapione
06-05-2008, 16:59
I 100% agree with what you responded Bels, it is out my hands and is someone elses trouble

evinierato
12-05-2008, 00:41

Kapoine failed to mention that the 11 students are mixed levels.
The HR lady is a former English teacher and told me that the decision for the mix and limited times was made by management. I told her that the class design would be counter productive with the advanced students becoming bored and the lower levels discouraged. I've had a couple of such experiences in the past.

I think I was the first teacher contacted because HR didn't balk at my quote of 1500 Rubles per academic hour. But, when she told me about the mix and limited time, I refused.

Bels
12-05-2008, 21:08
Kapoine failed to mention that the 11 students are mixed levels.
The HR lady is a former English teacher and told me that the decision for the mix and limited times was made by management. I told her that the class design would be counter productive with the advanced students becoming bored and the lower levels discouraged. I've had a couple of such experiences in the past.

I think I was the first teacher contacted because HR didn't balk at my quote of 1500 Rubles per academic hour. But, when she told me about the mix and limited time, I refused.

Welldone Evinmierato. Control your business, and you set what is required for your students. For example, my wife has received several requests of students requesting one hour a week lessons for advanced courses. She presumed them advanced and currently studying in Russian schools. They were most offended when she informed them that they would be wasting their time with a professional native teacher. Most courses cover 120 hours, with your breaks and everything else, it's going to take three years to achieve any level. We are not simply speech practice from you to develop from another school, we have no faith in this other school. You take us fully, or not at all.

The recommended minimimum are two lession @ two academic hours per lesson. Hence completiing one level within one year.

My experience is for those I have taught one academic hour a week as a waste of time, they forget the next, and often either go on business trips or holidays. And six months later complain they have made little progress, and they don't blame their current school, where they are studying many more hours.

To summarise, trust us fully to teach you English properly. Especially advanced level.

Bels
12-05-2008, 21:24
Although the identity of one appeared to be individual, I'm just wondering if the same person has contacted my wife. She did ask why she answered the phone, rather than the native speaker, and she answered that she is my wife and my administrator, when asking for one hour per week, and when my wife answered under my instructions that she would be wasting our time and hers, she became most offended. But that's the way it is, it is a waste of time.

Control your business, don't let the business control you.