PDA

View Full Version : Exiting Russia & Transit Visa for Tashkent

trebor
05-05-2008, 13:24
I want to exit Russia from Tyumen, flying to S.E.Asia via Tashkent.
I have a Multiple Entry Business Visa issued for a company based in Samara.
What chance of being refused permission to leave Russia via that route?
Anyone have any experiences of something similar?

Also, i want to change planes in Tashkent airport with a layover of 3 hours.
I shouldn't need a visa, right?

Cheers

Transparent Theatre
05-05-2008, 15:05
Tashkent airport has been entirely rebuilt and is a fairly efficient new operation (if still very small). You should be ok on transit arrangements there.

But, err, Samara's in Russia??

AFAIK the only border crossings into Uzbekistan that are closed to foreigners are surface borders in tiny villages, and they are closed only because they don't have staff trained to read foreign passports. You might find a picture of Ulysses S Grant can make this rule more flexible in practice.

trebor
05-05-2008, 16:04
Tashkent airport has been entirely rebuilt and is a fairly efficient new operation (if still very small). You should be ok on transit arrangements there.

But, err, Samara's in Russia??

AFAIK the only border crossings into Uzbekistan that are closed to foreigners are surface borders in tiny villages, and they are closed only because they don't have staff trained to read foreign passports. You might find a picture of Ulysses S Grant can make this rule more flexible in practice.

Yes, Samara is in Russia!
The Uzbek Embassy website makes no mention of people transiting through the airport. I will be flying Uzbek Airlines Tyumen-Tashkent-Bangkok with a 3 hour layover in Tashkent. Bags tb checked through. I cant ask the travel agent selling me the tickets as i will buy the tickets online.
What i noticed is that a lot of the regulations on the Uzbek Embassy website as similar to Russian ones (hardly suprising) so i went to the Russian Embassy website in London and there it stated a transit visa is need to transit Moscow airports.
Is that right?

Transparent Theatre
05-05-2008, 16:42
so i went to the Russian Embassy website in London and there it stated a transit visa is need to transit Moscow airports.
Is that right?

I'm not sure it's a valid comparison because of the topography of it. Tashkent only has one airport. But Moscow has four, and since you have to cross the city to get from one to another, you would need a transit visa to do so (except between SVO1 and SVO2, the only pair between which there is an "airside" transfer available for people genuinely in transit between TWO third-party independent countries eg from Estonia (lands SVO1) to Mongolia (departs SVO2).

I've only changed at Tashkent from int'l to domestic, so my experience was a bit different to your planned route.

trebor
05-05-2008, 16:51
I'm not sure it's a valid comparison because of the topography of it. Tashkent only has one airport. But Moscow has four, and since you have to cross the city to get from one to another, you would need a transit visa to do so (except between SVO1 and SVO2, the only pair between which there is an "airside" transfer available for people genuinely in transit between TWO third-party independent countries eg from Estonia (lands SVO1) to Mongolia (departs SVO2).

I've only changed at Tashkent from int'l to domestic, so my experience was a bit different to your planned route.

I get your point.
I called the airline and they say i don't need a visa.
If it was clear on the wesite it would save a lot of time.
Cheers