PDA

View Full Version : planning my trip to romania by car

LalaLu
28-04-2008, 20:31
At the end of may I am going home for 3 weeks. I choose to go by car because I want to see Ukraine and to visit Kiev and on the way back Moldova- Chisinau.

If anyone had this trip, I could use some tips, advises, how is the condition of the road? I will spend one night in Kiev, can someone recommend me a nice and not expensive place to stay?

Thanks

elis
28-04-2008, 22:38
Lalalu--That sounds like a wonderful adventure!! Sounds like a good time to go too, as I hear that's about when the hot water gets shut off in Moscow.

I wish I knew good advice to give you--but have only done road trips in the States.

Would you like company? Luna and I can come with you . . . :12115:

LalaLu
08-05-2008, 20:53
sounds exciting, ladies travel. this time somebody else register to my trip, but I will see how things will go, and if everything is good we can plan it for next time.

tzaritsa
08-05-2008, 23:37
Lalalu--That sounds like a wonderful adventure!! Sounds like a good time to go too, as I hear that's about when the hot water gets shut off in Moscow.

I wish I knew good advice to give you--but have only done road trips in the States.

Would you like company? Luna and I can come with you . . . :12115:

Me too :bowdown: please! I dream to go to Romania! I can be good gide in Kiev. Amasing town and worth at least 2 full days of sightseeng

monica
08-05-2008, 23:42
Romania, my country!
In the summer of 2004 I went on a trip from Bucuresti to Sankt Petersburg, by train, with 4 friends of mine, one from Ukraine, studying in Romania at that time. We visited Moscow, Sankt Petersburg, Lvov, Kiev and Poltava. It was quite an adventure: we only spent around 150 euros each (food, transportation, souvenirs).

pjw
09-05-2008, 12:06
moldova - Google Maps
I also love the idea of travelling around Ukraine and Romania. These are countries I feel so good and relaxed in :D and Iīd really love to see Chisinau. Maybe itīs worth thinking about trains as alot of cities are an overnight train apart. They are so comfy and you can sleep well. For example Moscow to Kharkiv (Iīve got 2 friends here, but they now live in Moscow!) or Moscow to Kyiv. Then either Kyiv to Chisinau or Kharkiv to Kyiv to Chisinau. Chisinau to Romania. Sal is in Odessa :question:. I would find the train much more relaxed than driving through by car. I travelled around Ukraine for 2 weeks last summer and Romania 10 years ago. It was super. Met some lovely people and had such a great time:cheerleader:

pjw
13-05-2008, 14:21
:cheerleader::cheerleader:Buna! Ce faci?:celebrate:
YouTube- Dragostea din tei - opera version

monica
13-05-2008, 16:02
nice, but I've never understood this song. It doesn't make much sense. I mean the lyrics.

MissAnnElk
13-05-2008, 16:38
YouTube- Numa Numa

It's just a love song, no?

Romania - Dragostea Din Tei - Miya Hee - Numa Numa - Lyrics in Romanian and English (http://www.catteacorner.com/dragosteadintei.htm)

pjw
13-05-2008, 17:34
nice, but I've never understood this song. It doesn't make much sense. I mean the lyrics.

Buna Moni,
May I try to explain the song as I see it, using the lyrics kindly supplied by Miss Ann?

Ma-ia-hii
Ma-ia-huu
Ma-ia-hoo
Ma-ia-haha Miya-hee
Miya-hoo
Miya-ho
Miya-haha
[These are just sounds.]

Comment: Ok, these are just sounds to you buddy. But to many, these represent the original sounds of life, sounds of celebration. Once I remember driving to work in a factory and I prayed that a song comes on the radio to cheer me up. Felt better for hours :celebrate:
- Verse 2 -
Alo, Salut, sunt eu, un haiduc,
Si te rog, iubirea mea, primeste fericirea.
Alo, alo, sunt eu Picasso,
Ti-am dat beep, si sunt voinic,
Dar sa stii nu-ti cer nimic. Hello [on a cellphone], greetings, it's me, an outlaw,
I ask you, my love, to accept happiness.
Hello, hello, it's me, Picasso,
I sent you a beep [cellphone signal], and I'm brave [or strong],
But you should know that I'm not asking for anything from you.

Comment: We should appreciate it when someone in this selfish world where everyone is only interested in taking what they want, says, I call you, greetings, I wish you happiness and itīs free of charge, without obligation, not dangerous, just giving without expectation.

- Chorus 3 (2 times) -
Vrei sa pleci dar nu ma, nu ma iei,
Nu ma, nu ma iei, nu ma, nu ma, nu ma iei.
Chipul tau si dragostea din tei,
Mi-amintesc de ochii tai.
You want to leave but you don't want don't want to take me, don't want don't want to take me, don't want don't want don't want to take me.

Comment: Yes, we are adults and everybody knows this real-life situation: you are here now so stay, maybe you donīt want or I want, or I donīt want, but you want.......itīs complete confusion, but sometimes we get lucky perhaps :iloveyou:

Your face and the love from the linden trees,
And I remember your eyes.

Comment: A reference to nature. Romania is a beautiful country. The nature, like outside nature, trees etc. Linden trees are Lime trees in English. Also reference to the people, beautiful, their faces, wizened by the extreme summer heat :sunny: or magically pale, almost French, nice to look at, very pretty. Romanians are a mix of good and bad, like everywhere I guess and especially their eyes, unforgetable, if you look in their eyes, you shall never forget them and shall futily seek them forever more.
Explanation: The song celebrates people, nature, relationships in the modern world and the increasing everpresence and interconnectedness of mobile phones.:celebrate::celebrate:
Have fun in sunny Spain Moni!!!

LalaLu
14-05-2008, 15:18

you're right, it doesn't make too much sense. Especially the one where they said that '' your face reminds me of your eyes''.
anyway, dear pjw I love your interpretation. is good to hear some nice words about Romania and Romanians.
Recently 2 persons told me they they are surprised to hear that I am from Romania and I don't look like a '' tzigan''.

LalaLu
14-05-2008, 15:25
[QUOTE=monica;386582]Romania, my country!

Hi Monica, I am happy to see another Romanian on the site. You live in Madrid, how come you joined the forum?

Hugs

pjw
17-05-2008, 03:34
I recently saw a really good Romanian movie. In fact it won the Best European Film 2007 Golden Palm Cannes. Hereīs a trailer and some scenes. Itīs so intense, itīs fascinating. Itīs a really cool film.
YouTube- 4 MONTHS 3 WEEKS AND 2 DAYS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbAYPt1mpgI&feature=related

LalaLu
17-05-2008, 11:07
yes, it won the Cannes and some other international prises. is very good film, indeed.
and you are a sweetheart pjw :)

pjw
17-05-2008, 19:52
Hey LalaLu, Nice to hear from you :D Are you still going to visit Moldova and Chisinau? Have a good trip and please let us know about it when you get back. Lots of fun and enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYZie7QIYf4&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HLFHx6IZoE&feature=related
It looks like quite a pretty place. Hereīs the bazar where Iīd probably be hanging out most of the time. I wonder what they are talking about. Prices probably. And whatīs that in the bottles? Oil? Beer? Juice? The classic case of buy, taste and maybe like, if not, chuck. I guess thatīs the problem when we travel without knowing the language, but it only makes it more interesting and we survive. Have fun LalaLu! :wavey:

LalaLu
18-05-2008, 12:03
Yes, they are talking about prices, that are getting bigger and bigger. Seeing this, people are not buying products, but just at the beginning, after they realise that they don't have other choice than accepting the prices and come back and do the shopping. Very sad.

About my trip, I changed a bit the plan, on the way to Romania I will stop one or 2 days in Kiev and after I will go to Odessa for some days. And just on the way back will stop to Chisinau-Moldova. But the schedule is flexible, will depend on how much I will like one place.

I will take pictures, of course, and I will probably post some of them on the site.

pjw
18-05-2008, 15:18
Oh yes please LalaLu,
You really must take lots of pictures of the different places you will be and place them on forum so we can see where you were. I liked Kyiv alot. Iīll post some pics from the net. Thereīs a main street called vul Kreshchatyk where alot of people just walk. Up and down or sit and watch. A wonderful street that turns into a party some evenings. 13798 Seriously! :celebrate: Up on the hill were some beautiful churches including St. Sophiaīs Cathedral 13797 13800
all within easy walking distance of the centre. A great place to eat was Puzata Khata. Hereīs a link. 13796 Puzata Khata (http://www.kiev.info/food/khata.htm) Absolutely delicious food, self-service, but it gets extremely crowded between 12-2 so avoid then.

And then there is Odessa. Another cable car like in Kyiv 13799 and a church (my avatar). But I didnīt really get into Odessa, so somebody else may be more qualified to comment. I found a beautiful soul-food restaurant (also pizzas, calimares) on vul Sadova near Pl Soborna which I didnīt really leave the whole day:SwoonLoveSmiley:just sat outside on the Yukka palm verandah people watching. Then jumped on a tram and rode round a bit. Then back to restaurant. My day off!
I wish you a really brilliant time travelling to Romania LalaLu :D Enjoy Ukraine and Moldova. :sunny: Maybe I see 4months 3weeks 2days again tonight. Iīm glad you liked it too! :applause:

emp79
18-05-2008, 16:31
Ce mai faci

Hello

I studied in romania for 6 months a few years ago so I was keen to go back there again for a couple of days, ideally for a long weekend. Is there any way I can get cheap flights to Bucharest??
I tried to fynd the film 6 months... and no luck, where I can find it here with subtitles??? saw death of mr lazarescu and I was disapointed, not as good as people were sasying it was.

pjw
18-05-2008, 17:32
Hi Ed,
How was it living in Romania? Sounds like you studied there for a while. Cool. I looked up some prices for flights, one cheapish and direct one with Tarom for €317,00 at cheaptickets.de :D

1 Adult: 235,00 EUR + 82,95 EUR tax = 317,95 EUR

Outward flight
Moskau,Sheremetyevo Bukarest,Otopeni RO 9202 30/05 20:40 22:15
Return flight
Bukarest,Otopeni Moskau,Sheremetyevo RO 9201 02/06 08:55 12:30
Sorry to post the info like this as I wasnīt able to get a link to the cheaptickets.de website. :plane: Let us know how you get on Ed. Ciao

LalaLu
18-05-2008, 17:58
Multumesc, bine, tu ce faci in Moscova? :)

unfortunately no low cost air company operates from Moscow to Bucharest. Direct flights have just Tarom and Aeroflot. The cheapest you can get is no less than 11 000 rub. Too bad.

About " Moartea domnului Lazarescu'' I have the same opinion, not that good. It didn't impressed me too much. Not the same thing I can say about 4 3 2. I have the film but without subtitle, but a good friend of mine, she is Romanian too, have the original dvd, with subtitle in eng and fr. I will ask her to give it to you to watch it. ok?

pjw
18-05-2008, 19:00
Thatīs right LalaLu :11629:

317 Euro = 11,714.7 Russian Rouble **317 Russian Rouble (RUB) = 8.57800 Euro (EUR) **

For some strange reason I couldnīt paste the cheaptickets.de page and I looked at Tarom and couldnīt seem to be able to book Moscow-Bucharest-Moscow. Only the other way

Can I ask you a favour LalaLu? Check out youtube and pick some Romanian music for us. Just pick a few of your personal favourites and share them with us. Youīre a dear :gorgeous:

Ukryssa
18-05-2008, 19:50
i was asked a ukrainian opinion, so

yes kiev and odessa are great cities! you should go there!! like pjw said in kiev you have khreshatik, and the churches, you also have andreevskiy spusk, a kind of market-street for toursits but really pittoresque, you have also the Lavra monastery

hope u'll have a good trip Lalalu

pjw
18-05-2008, 20:25
i was asked a ukrainian opinion, so

yes kiev and odessa are great cities! you should go there!! like pjw said in kiev you have khreshatik, and the churches, you also have andreevskiy spusk, a kind of market-street for toursits but really pittoresque, you have also the Lavra monastery

hope u'll have a good trip Lalalu

Nastya, thanks so much for your comments. Super :D Yes, I know the Alexander markets too. A beautiful street as you say Nastya. I bought a plant here and now Iīve still got it here by the window. Itīs up in the area near the churches and the cable car etc. Kyiv is compacter - everythingīs a bit closer - than Moscow, although the walk from centre to the station is long and Iīd recommend bus or taxi. And come to think of it, I almost forgot my highlight of Kyiv was an Azerbaijanian restaurant on the top floor of Globus, a shopping centre basically under this statue on Kreshchatyk 13802 The restaurant was delightful with Hatchapuri and Lavash, fried flat breads with cheese etc, oh my god, I was even blown away by the starters. Then half way through the meal, some bellydancers came out and it was a complete buzz :celebrate: 13803 Check it out LalaLu if youīre into this kind of thing :mml::mml:

The Traveler
18-05-2008, 20:43
Hello everyone!

For tickets from Moscow to Bucharest, you'd be better off flying with S7 airlines out of Domodedovo. You can get an E-Ticket online (S7.ru, S7.com) and you don't have to go to the ticket office. It's going to cost $300 round trip (that's what I paid last month). Tarom is really difficult to deal with now, especially since they are bankrupt, and about 10 other airlines are splitting up their flights and handling their ticketing services. Another plus is that you can take the train to and from the airport if you're flying from Domodedovo. Only 150 roubles from Paveletskaya metro/vokzal, and 40 min trip to the airport.
Regarding a car trip...I wish the best of luck. I've traveled extensively in these countries, and although I'm sure it would be a beautiful adventure, I would never take that upon myself. Romania isn't the biggest problem...it's more Russia, Ukraine, and Moldova. When you get outside of the city atmosphere, there's no doubt that some people are nicer, and you can end up in some nice small cities and villages and be welcomed. However, you're also risking a lot with roadside thieves and muggers, and I for one would never even dream of taking this trip by car. I took a taxi from Poltava to Kharkov one time, and also from Micholaev to Odessa. The taxi driver was honest, and inexpensive, but I was scared a few times when I saw the traps that these "bandits" had set up on the sides of the road. Luckily enough the drivers were honest, and local, and knew what to do and what not to do.
Good luck on your car trip...be safe. I wish you the best!

LalaLu
18-05-2008, 20:49
Thanks for the tip Pete, but I am not really a gourmand, I am trying to eat as simple, lite and vegetarian as possible. I am gaining 1 kg just looking at a cake :)

I wrote down anyway all the places you mentioned and next week by this time I will see them with my own eyes. :7534:

Zyablik
18-05-2008, 20:50
Friends ! :)
Iam absolutly agree with one thing - that Kiev is a beautiful and the Dnepr river is amazing !!!:mml: I was there twice and wish I can go again !!!
pjw, yes, "Puzata Hata" is the super place, also I like a "Zdorovenki buly" in Kiev (Krezhatik street). Delicious and not expensive.
I stay in KievHotel, but I think it's not cheap!
I read that the Qs was about car journey to Ukraine. But also I can recomend to all the "Ukranian River Cruise" It is something incredible. Start in Kiev than Odessa-Yalta-Sevastopul-Kanev and the finish in Kiev! Dnepr river and Black sea. For me it was a great 2006 trip.
Have a nice jorney !:thumbsup:

LalaLu
18-05-2008, 20:57
Dear Traveler, don't do this to me. I am optimistic about this trip, I don't think it can be that bad. Should I worry? I know that a lot of people had the same trip without no problem at all. Maybe the bad stories you've heard are a bit exaggerated?

pjw
18-05-2008, 20:58
Thanks Nathan. Solid advice! Would you consider o-night train if you had time? The tip about the airline sounded good, but are you sure they do Moscow-Bucharest? S7 Airlines. Siberia Airlines JSC's Official Website. Russia, Moscow, Novosibirsk, Irkutsk - S7 Airlines. Siberia Airlines JSC's Official Website. Russia, Moscow, Novosibirsk, Irkutsk - Search (http://sales.s7.ru/itd/itd/Air/ChangeLocale?requestor=itd%2epresentation%2ehandler%2erequest%2eprofile%2ePresProfilePreDisplayRequestHandler&locale=en)

LalaLu
18-05-2008, 21:24
''Romania isn't the biggest problem...it's more Russia, Ukraine, and Moldova''

Romania is not a problem at all. I travelled a lot by car all around the country, partly because of the job requirements and other because of my wish. Nothing bad happened and I've never heard anything like this.

The Traveler
19-05-2008, 03:25
About S7 airlines...that's extremely strange. I was a bit curious when you asked if I was sure they flew there, so I went and got my ticket stub (I just did this two weeks ago!) And sure enough, S7 airlines (I even have my online flight confirmation!) Moscow to Bucharest. However, it indeed is not there now! I can't see any reason why they would cancel that flight, but I know it was there two weeks ago!
About the road trip...read my post again...there are no bad stories I've "heard", everything that I've explained I've already done myself. Trains in my opinion are usually fine, as long as you don't mind the cramped, smelly quarters that you sometimes get into on some of them. Just keep a very close eye on your luggage.
I'm not trying to make you paranoid, I'm just giving you my solid, honest opinion based on my own experiences, and hoping that you'll be extremely cautious. Like I said, I would never cross Russia, Ukraine, or Moldova in a car. Be careful, good luck.

The Traveler
19-05-2008, 03:28
Almost forgot! Want to take a peek at Russian travel by highway between cities? Here's a peek for you...

English Russia ŧ Russian Roads 4 (http://englishrussia.com/?p=315)

monica
19-05-2008, 10:47
[QUOTE=monica;386582]Romania, my country!

Hi Monica, I am happy to see another Romanian on the site. You live in Madrid, how come you joined the forum?

Hugs

Buna, LalaLu,
I joined the forum because in a way I feel connected to Moscow, Iīve got some friends there, I love Russia... So youīre from Romania too. De unde anume?

monica
19-05-2008, 10:52
[QUOTE=emp79;390745]Ce mai faci

Hello

I studied in romania for 6 months a few years ago so I was keen to go back there again for a couple of days, ideally for a long weekend. Is there any way I can get cheap flights to Bucharest??
I tried to fynd the film 6 months... and no luck, where I can find it here with subtitles??? saw death of mr lazarescu and I was disapointed, not as good as people were sasying it was.[/QUOTE

Salut, emp79!
Unde ai invatat? In ce oras?
Aeroflot has some discounts from time to time, especially in October-December. 2 years ago they had tickets for $100!
As for the movie, you can download it here:
http://lab.securityrisk.org/~eduard/4-3-2.avi

LalaLu
19-05-2008, 12:21
Hi Monica,

I was born in a small town in Transilvanya, Medias, than I moved to Brasov where i had university degree and work for 4 years. Than Bucharest and Moscow. So I started from a small town with 60 000 people and end up in a city with 20 mil people.

monica
14-07-2008, 00:39
Hi Monica,

I was born in a small town in Transilvanya, Medias, than I moved to Brasov where i had university degree and work for 4 years. Than Bucharest and Moscow. So I started from a small town with 60 000 people and end up in a city with 20 mil people.

I was born in a village near Brasov, Prejmer. ;)
I know another girl whoīs living in Moscow, sheīs from Sibiu, her name is Ramona. I guess you havenīt met many Romanians in Moscow.

pjw
14-07-2008, 00:55
Buna Moni, Oh I have a very dear friend from outside Sibiu. I love Romania as I told you a few times now already. Latin people, beautiful people. Had a nice time in Romania. Have you got plans for summer Moni? Are you visiting Romania or Moscow? Oh and you know I wanted to come to Moscow? Well, Iīm coming later after summer. I got to wait a bit :sunny: