PDA

View Full Version : Has the world gone mad??

boscoe
23-04-2004, 16:29
I recently was attempting to board a Lufthansa flight from Frankfurt to Moscow and for the third time that day went through a security check. Lights started flashing and armed police surrounded me with automatic weapons the laser sights catching my eye and making me wince slightly as the German Shepherd’s growled and salivated at their forthcoming lunch… Well not really but I was asked to open my bag, the same bag I had had all day with me and taken through five airports in the last three weeks. OK I didn’t realise a six inch metal ruler was considered an offensive weapon but that was my mistake… it’s a metal ruler for god’s sake it could inflict about as much damage as a slice of ripe avocado!!! My argument of course fell on deaf ears… it was duly confiscated and put into one of those little Perspex boxes with all the menacing nail files and surgically sharp nail scissors…
I wouldn’t care but when I finally boarded the plane with my duty free in glass bottles (I decided against the two bottles of French plonk which included a free bottle opener, baring in mind this in Duty free after the security checks) I was slightly confused when my in flight ‘meal’ arrived with metal cutlery and a small bottle of wine in, again a glass bottle with a glass glass!…
I don’t know where you come from but in my home town the Police aren’t called to many pub fights that result in a ‘rulering’… but what do I know :rolleyes:

Random
23-04-2004, 16:38
Yes mate it has !

Last trip through Zurich - usual mumble on security checks - but they still sold Swiss Army Knives in Duty Free - makes sense to me !!

:agree:

DPG
23-04-2004, 17:33
The best one I saw was at Irkutsk airport when I was flying back to Moscow a couple of years ago. You go through all the normal checks and scans and what-not (although keep in mind that it was internal Aeroflop, means that they were slightly less stringent than Heathrow, Munich etc). BUT, that was in no way preparation for the fact that:

In the duty free area, there were a couple of shops with displays of SAMURI SWORDS! And the amount of large hunting knifes and other assorted bladed implements made us literally laugh out-loud, and then look furtively around at our fellow passengers to see if there were any potential ninjas in our midst...

Ghost
25-04-2004, 11:02
They probably got a tip from the Bush administration (yes, I'm Republican, but so what) that Al-Qaeda is plotting to use steel rulers to take over airplanes to crash into US Embassies on foreign soil. And now all threats must be taken seriously, because - God forbid it actually happens - Bush can say he acted on available intelligence.

"It's our job to act on all intelligence, regardless of intelligence." That's the new slogan, unfortunately.

polly
25-04-2004, 11:14
did Al Qaeda exist before 9/11?
some people don't think so. if you are interested (and when i find the name and author) i will post the name of a book that most neo-cons would disregard. nothing to thumb your nose at however.

kniga
25-04-2004, 11:44
Boscoe,

Your story still doesn't beat the U.S. security check of an 84-year-old grandmother in a wheelchair who was forced out of her wheelchair to have it checked for bombs...it was the airport's wheelchair!

Jet
25-04-2004, 12:11
Ghost, I am glad u are not in a sniping mode and not "acting on available intelligence" :D

Limitchik
26-04-2004, 09:22
Originally posted by Jet Li
Ghost, I am glad u are not in a sniping mode and not "acting on available intelligence" :D

Jet,

When are you gonna ask us to take you to our leader ?

Limitchik

Ghost
26-04-2004, 09:33
All your base are belong to us.

DaveUKagain
26-04-2004, 10:06
Armed with a steel ruler, any 84 year old paralysed granny (sans wheelchair) could easily hijack a 747 and fly it to some godless Com`nist country - where`s Joe McCarthy and J Edgar Hoover when you need `em ? (Hoover`s probably in a lingerie shop...) McCarthy 2, anyone ??

DPG
26-04-2004, 11:29
Originally posted by kniga
Your story still doesn't beat the U.S. security check of an 84-year-old grandmother in a wheelchair who was forced out of her wheelchair to have it checked for bombs...it was the airport's wheelchair!

That sounds like something from a UK comedy program called "Trigger Happy TV" - I believe it aired in the USA aswell??!

[Boscoe - if you're interested I brought the box set back with me on dvd...]

Kniga - did they find anything under the wheelchair?!?!

The image of them lifting up the poor granny to check the chair is pretty funny though, you must admit!!

kniga
30-04-2004, 23:06
DPG,

No, they just found a very irate son who was pushing his mother's wheelchair.