PDA

View Full Version : Russian clinic / hospital recommendations?

mefistofele
18-04-2008, 22:40
Can anybody recommend a good local clinic or medical center for those of us who (a) can speak Russian and (b) don't feel like shelling out big bucks for the clowns at the expat-trap amc, sos, emc, etc.?

We're specifically looking for a place with a good nephrologist for some follow-up monitoring/care, but any general advice from those of you who have gone the local route would be much appreciated.

So far our experience has been limited to the Sechenov Academy and Botkin hospital, which, despite their prestige, seem to be literally falling apart, though the doctors seem to know their stuff. Likewise, Invitro seems to be the place to do labs, though Sechenov/Botkin naturally do that too.

Still, we were hoping to find a more modern medical center that won't necessarily cost an arm and a leg -- or prescribe batteries of unnecessary tests and procedures solely to squeeze more money out of us.

Any advice?

andrewhsu
28-04-2008, 12:16
Check out this site....helped me find a hospital! Russia Hospital List - Pacific Prime International (http://www.pacificprime.com/countries/russia/hospitals.php)

bashworth
30-04-2008, 21:27
Yes! Everyone should go to Medintsentr on 4y Dobryninsky per. (metro Dobryninskaya/Serpukhovskaya). Even if you don't speak Russian you can go there because they have translators.

I've been there twice, once when I thought I broke my arm and another time with a friend who needed a lot of x-rays. X-rays are pretty cheap (well under 1000 rubles), an MRI costs about 5500 rubles, and the doctor consultant fee is about 1000 rubles (per doctor, but still. at AMC i think it's like $200 just to have a doctor enter the same room as you).

Most of the doctors are really patient with you if you don't understand, although one guy was rude.

When I went with my friend, we didn't have an appointment, just showed up like it was the emergency room. Tell them that it's травма and they will let you see a doctor, probably faster than you would see one in an emergency room in america (i don't know about other countries). Also, they're open till 7 or 8 pm, and we were in with a doctor until about 9:30 pm.

Мединцентр (http://www.medin.ru/)

30-04-2008, 21:56
Some years ago you had to be a "member" to get in, and the membership card was pretty expensive though I cannot remember the exact price. Did it change now?

Yes! Everyone should go to Medintsentr on 4y Dobryninsky per. (metro Dobryninskaya/Serpukhovskaya). Even if you don't speak Russian you can go there because they have translators.

I've been there twice, once when I thought I broke my arm and another time with a friend who needed a lot of x-rays. X-rays are pretty cheap (well under 1000 rubles), an MRI costs about 5500 rubles, and the doctor consultant fee is about 1000 rubles (per doctor, but still. at AMC i think it's like $200 just to have a doctor enter the same room as you).

Most of the doctors are really patient with you if you don't understand, although one guy was rude.

When I went with my friend, we didn't have an appointment, just showed up like it was the emergency room. Tell them that it's травма and they will let you see a doctor, probably faster than you would see one in an emergency room in america (i don't know about other countries). Also, they're open till 7 or 8 pm, and we were in with a doctor until about 9:30 pm.

Мединцентр (http://www.medin.ru/)

bashworth
01-05-2008, 12:43
Sort of. You have to get a propusk, which costs somewhere between 100-300 rubles, i don't remember. also, i think it expires when your visa expires, but if you have a 1-year it shouldn't matter too much.

you're supposed to bring a photo but if you come on a travma, they let you slide without one.