PDA

View Full Version : Blind date?

Camry
20-04-2004, 13:51
A friend of mine wants to arrange me a blind date. I’m kind of doubting and curious at the same time…
Has anyone had such an experience? Thanks in advance for your comments.

Sadie
20-04-2004, 14:02
Discussed in The Better Half folder 3 days ago.

Guest777
20-04-2004, 14:30
Originally posted by Sadie
Discussed in The Better Half folder 3 days ago.

I must have missed something very interesting...:confused:

Camry
20-04-2004, 14:31
can't find it :) where?

Alethea
20-04-2004, 14:33
Originally posted by Guest777
I must have missed something very interesting...:confused:

In fact I asked if anyone is bold enough to meet someone off the net. It's not quite a blind date :)

Camry
20-04-2004, 14:42
:)

legspreader
20-04-2004, 15:18
a couple years back i was set up on multiple blind dates back to back and they were all fairly terrible but a bit entertaining it all comes down to your mind set.....

Ned Kelly
20-04-2004, 15:26
seriously legs, the more i read you the more i'm sure you're related to jack kerouac. i'm out of breath by the time i get to the end of one of your sentences.

natalia_apple
20-04-2004, 15:29
Originally posted by legspreader
a they were all fairly terrible

why?

Alethea
20-04-2004, 15:35
Originally posted by natalia_apple
why?

Nat,

imagine you are planning and anticipating to meet up with a gorgeous hunk . You are also hoping he is intelligent, chivalrous and ... whatever your heart desire.
Instead, a sicko wacko turns up and freak you out .

Joking, joking.

Same thing happens to guys all the time .

natalia_apple
20-04-2004, 15:37
Originally posted by legspreader
all

all of them????

Camry
20-04-2004, 15:59
Probably you're right... There's very little chance that the guy turnes out to be good looking and smart... :rolleyes:

natalia_apple
20-04-2004, 16:00
why, you can find something interesting in most guys...

Alethea
20-04-2004, 16:00
Why? Look at Ned - he is such a double cutie today let alone his intellectual spark.

Random
20-04-2004, 16:18
Why not pick the venue ? Then the worst is that you have a nice meal with someone you know your never going to see again !

Or do the sensible thing make it a lunch, that way you can always say Oh I have to meet someone at 3 pm or whatever time suits you should the chap prove to be a bit of a yawn. On the other hand if he's an adonis you just carry on talking and then suggest a dinner date, house to look at, name of the dog and the name of your first born....

;)

Camry
20-04-2004, 16:31
Random! :) If that all happens I will ask you to be the godfather of my first born ;)

Random
20-04-2004, 16:36
I am honoured !! :shame:

I guess my view is whats the worst ? So long as you meet somewhere public, a bar, coffee shop, restaurant etc whats the worst that can happen ? He turns out to be a dribbling jerk - you stand up and walk out.

Nothing ventured nothing gained.

:agree:

sir Gay
20-04-2004, 16:37
random, how do you happen to combine romance and practicism in such a lovely way! i LOVE safety and comfort! thanks fo advice ;)

allice
20-04-2004, 16:40
Dear Camry, above post by Random can be substantiated by my (x2) experience. Hope all works out for the best. After all, it's springtime and we are to blossom. al ;)

kot begemot
20-04-2004, 16:43
Originally posted by Alethea
Nat,

imagine you are planning and anticipating to meet up with a gorgeous hunk . You are also hoping he is intelligent, chivalrous and ... whatever your heart desire.
Instead, a sicko wacko turns up and freak you out .

Yeah, need to be careful on the blind date thing as expectations are almost always too high. Never know what you're going to get...

Random
20-04-2004, 16:44
Its just common sense.

Why would you go on a blind date to someones house/flat/dog kennel ?? You wouldn't - your putting yourself in all sorts of danger.

You have to meet in a place where you can walk away, with out causing too much distress. So a date on a boat not a good idea your trapped with your date from hell for at least a few hours. Spot of luncheon at Nostalgia and a trip around Chisty Prudy in a row boat much better.

Camry
20-04-2004, 16:56
I made up my mind. I'll go. :rolleyes:

Camry
20-04-2004, 16:59
I guess lunch will do no harm... And if he turnes out to be a total looser oh well... I'll just leave. But it is worth trying ;) Thanks guys.

Random
20-04-2004, 17:06
Lunch is good, if you meet at 1pm for example, then when you meet say I have to meet someone at 2.30pm. Thus he is under a time limit. If things are rocking along nicely then at about 2 ish say I'm just going to move that meeting back an hour. Excuse yourself and pretend to make a phone call to somebody, do not do this in front of him !!

Other than that enjoy and we expect you to report back if Greek God or Oh My God it's a Geek !!

;)

Camry
20-04-2004, 17:14
Yes :) You'll have my report. It'll definitely bring some light to the shady statistics of blind dates ;)

Alethea
20-04-2004, 18:02
Originally posted by Camry
Yes :) You'll have my report. It'll definitely bring some light to the shady statistics of blind dates ;)

Is it going to be a sort of SHE confesses ? :)

legspreader
20-04-2004, 18:10
oh another nice trick is to have a friend call you mid date as a safety release for an excuse to leave sick mother, brother, dog cat whatever emergency you want to think up.

Camry
21-04-2004, 16:05
We set a meeting at the Marriott grand hotel at 12:30 He was supposed to wear a dark blue jacket and I said I’ll hold a Moscow times newspaper in my hands so that we have no problem in recognizing each other.
When I got to the Marriott I left the newspaper in my car just I in case I see a Quasimodo in a blue jacket I can easily turn away and leave without hurting his feelings. I guess I was just a bit nervous. I entered the lobby but I saw no man wearing a blue jacket! So I chose a comfortable chair facing the doors and decided to wait a while. Suddenly someone from behind called my name and when I turned around I saw my very good friend from the US. We used to work together on a series of articles a year ago. It was such a surprise! After 20 minutes we were having lunch at samobranka because the person he was waiting for never showed up either… in another 20 minutes my phone rang.. it was another trick advised by legspreader… :) A moment after I hang up my friend’s phone rang. He picked up and said the words that made me laugh for another 20 minutes. :)
-“She never showed up” he said. – “Maybe I should have warn that blue jacket after all.” ;)

Random
21-04-2004, 16:14
A happy spring time story !! :D

A nice lunch with an old chum, what could be finer !

So will you see him again ??? :rolleyes:

Jet
21-04-2004, 16:29
Camry, are u that expat journalist I read an article about in Nezavisimaya Gazeta??

Alethea
21-04-2004, 16:31
Plot thickens... :D

Camry
23-04-2004, 11:30
Random,
Yes, we went to cinema yesterday :) Now, when we are not fighting over the conclusion of the article he seems a very nice guy... :shame:
Jet Li,
If you mean the one who was accused in spying, jailed, but then released then the answer is no ;)

Random
23-04-2004, 11:37
I am pleased that so far everything is looking good !

Jet
23-04-2004, 11:39
Camry, two days ago there was an article in NG about one expat journalist from California who works for Moscow Times and has a good life in Moscow. I thought u fit the profile ;)

Camry
23-04-2004, 11:44
Jet,
Nope :) not me , I'm a freelancer and I write for several newspapers and magazines - western and russian

Camry
23-04-2004, 11:46
Random,
I'm surprised myself :agree: