PDA

View Full Version : Teaching Online

Bels
15-04-2008, 00:51
Teaching online
Searching through internet I have discovered an interest of teachers wanted to teach on-line. Many are asking for skype communication. Some are asking for google or msn methods of communication, but skype appears to be the favourite.

Is this a good form of business for teachers and what are the advantages?

1;International contact with students throughout the world
2;The ability to teach the world without travelling to meet your students.
3;That you are mobile and can keep your business, no matter where you are in the world.
4;That you have the market of the whole world, and you stay in one place, your home.

Now I don’t know much about this business, how can it be done where we can give quality lessons over the internet. I am aware that there is now a big demand for it, as some students don’t want to travel to schools..

What kind of courses are in highest demand , it appears to be preparation for IELTS or TOEFL, also the new regulations for English requirements and knowledge to be a British citizen.

Now I’m imagining that it might be the advice to get these recommended student books, is there a better way? So that we have a course to work from. Is there a better way?

Anyway this appears to be a good idea as additional business for teachers, perhaps big business. Fees don’t appear to be too low.

Apparently it can be done dealing with groups, if so we all have a lot to learn on this new internet technology business.

Comments please! From teachers, businessmen and computer experts.. Unfortunately us teachers do not match all these skills. Most definitely business, although I’m trying, as we do get involved with our students welfare. But hey! You have a family to take care of, don’t forget that!

Bels
15-05-2008, 23:25
Looking at the web-sites and the advantages of teaching online for teachers is this.

There appears appears to be an increase in the demand for native English speaking teachers, who can teach online, at the right time, within the correct time zone of that country.

It doesn't matter what location you are in, as you have the whole world as a market.

If you are marketing for the market within your locality, this may well be an oppurtunity for you to introduce yourself to new students. Perhaps a free introductory lesson online, to entice them to be taught by you in your locality, or perhaps a combination of the two.

TEACHERS FEES To be honest with you, researching through the internet I have seen anything from free tuition up to 15 an hour. All British teachers were charging between 12-15 an hour. The North Americans appeared to be charging the same figure in $$'s .

Philipinos, who appeared the most common, were charging as low as $6 an hour.

For the business person, who can develop their own website, providing good teaching resources, and backup for teachers, and that the website is good for linking the teacher and the student worldwide? I think this could be a very good business. The best idea I have seen on a web-site business allowing the teacher to set the fee, and charging them a commission on the students they are linked with on your web-site.

Teaching online
Searching through internet I have discovered an interest of teachers wanted to teach on-line. Many are asking for skype communication. Some are asking for google or msn methods of communication, but skype appears to be the favourite.

Is this a good form of business for teachers and what are the advantages?

1;International contact with students throughout the world
2;The ability to teach the world without travelling to meet your students.
3;That you are mobile and can keep your business, no matter where you are in the world.
4;That you have the market of the whole world, and you stay in one place, your home.

Now I don’t know much about this business, how can it be done where we can give quality lessons over the internet. I am aware that there is now a big demand for it, as some students don’t want to travel to schools..

What kind of courses are in highest demand , it appears to be preparation for IELTS or TOEFL, also the new regulations for English requirements and knowledge to be a British citizen.

Now I’m imagining that it might be the advice to get these recommended student books, is there a better way? So that we have a course to work from. Is there a better way?

Anyway this appears to be a good idea as additional business for teachers, perhaps big business. Fees don’t appear to be too low.

Apparently it can be done dealing with groups, if so we all have a lot to learn on this new internet technology business.

Comments please! From teachers, businessmen and computer experts.. Unfortunately us teachers do not match all these skills. Most definitely business, although I’m trying, as we do get involved with our students welfare. But hey! You have a family to take care of, don’t forget that!

marus
26-06-2008, 19:32
I have been doing this for a company based here in Cyprus for about two years,on and off.The owner is a New Zealander and although she was initially very optimistic that we would have plenty of regular students,it has never really developed in the way anticipated.We have had people in France and the Ukraine and the average earnings are the local equivalent of about $20 per clock hour.It has been enjoyable and could be quite lucrative-IF we were able to get enough students.Bearing in mind that Skype calls between members are free,the outlay is minimal and involves only the internet charges.
But judging from the results so far,I cannot really say it is a way to earn a regular income.

Bels
26-06-2008, 19:52
Ok! 10 an hour isn't exactly profitable for an enterprising person. But yes, even to attract students throughout the world for internet services, I can't see you charging a higher fee.

So the only enterprising way would be to design a popular website, attract a lot of students throughout the world, and then attract a few teachers on a commission. Otherwise I would bother wasting my time for 10 an hour.