PDA

View Full Version : Best Pizza In Moscow?

sharpbws
14-04-2008, 23:03
Curious what everyone thinks -

My opinion? No question about it -
head to Beavers! FINALLY made it
out to Beavers on September 9, 2007
with the (in)famous Doug Steele (of
Hungry Duck fame) and my buddy Gary
Steele (no relation). It's a great
restaurant/sports bar.

Gotta tell ya, this is, without any question
the BEST pizza in Moscow. The first really
"American-style" pizza I've ever seen in all
my travels in Russia. Great crust, sauce,
cheese and toppings.

They also had some pretty good chicken
wings; normal American size instead of the
"mini-wings" you normally get in Russian
restaurants.

The prices were reasonable and the
waitresses were cute, but certainly not up
to the top-tier US Hooter's girls you see in
the calendars and at some the southern
location restaurants. They had Hooter's type
tops and when the weather is warm, they
wear the same orange shorts. On our visit it
was cool so they had on jeans. When we
were there there were 1/2 dozen really
attractive girls there. I'm told in the evening
the place is packed with local clientele.

Look closely at the Beaver restaurant logo
and you'll clearly see a "bearded clam" in the
anatomically correct position in relation to the
white legs. Start at the "v" in Beavers and
work your way up. Also ass-cheeks. Pretty
clever.

It's a long way out of the city center but
Robert, the American owner will certainly
make you feel that the trip was worth it.

Take the #10 Line (light Green) out to the
end at Mariyno Station. Exit the metrocar and
turn left up the stairs. Turn left again after to
exit the Metro doors and walk up to the street.
That will be Lubainskaya Street. Look right and
you'll see a McDonald's on the left side of the
road. Further down you'll see what looks like
brown-colored parking garage with a "Beavers"
banner. That's the building you want. It's about
a 7-10 minute walk to the place. The restaurant
will be on the south-east corner of the building.

Give it a shot the next time you crave
American-style pizza. You won't regret it.

:-)
Brad

phoenixsampras
19-04-2008, 14:17
Ресторан "Биверс" - чудесная кухня, классический Американский спорт-бар, очаровательные официантки, отдых теплой компанией и просмотр спортивных трансляций (http://www.beavers.ru) <<< that's what you meant.

if they don't have those half dozen girls topless ill kick your balls

concai
23-04-2008, 09:43
Uncle Sam Cafй on Myasnitskaya is pretty good aswell. Their pizza called "Dyavol" might be the best one I've ever had.

innovator
23-04-2008, 11:28
Checked Beaver's site. Their large pizzas are around 350 - 400 r. Pretty reasonable. :)

cookie monster
23-04-2008, 13:01
Mir Pizza, located at Jigsaw bldg. on Smolenskaya, pretty good pizza's, I highly recommend the four cheeses pizza the best I've had in Moscow and try the seafood pizza, they even have a closed calzone.

And good lunch deals on pizza from 12 to 3pm, its 50% only for pizza's so a four cheese pizza will come to around R220, or just order takeout.

2292alex
02-05-2008, 13:12
Beaver's is quite cool I think!

DJ Biscuit
02-05-2008, 15:44
I agree with Cookie Monster, MIR PIZZA (multiple locations) have excellent pizzas, always consistent, good service and reasonable.

kapione
03-05-2008, 08:45
sadly most pizza here in Moscow falls short of true NYC pizza....Im a New Yorker the 2 main reasons is the water and yeast they use (they use dry yeast , takes time for them to germinate,and the live they just have no experience using )
they are also not making the ovens not hot enough ,and most shops do not understand when u say make it well done....they panic and give you and under cooked pizza ......
there is a place I forgot the name near Ohotney Riyahd that has awesome sauce ,but tiny portions ,high price and a poor excuse of crust

a good pasta resaurante I went to is Prego , I didnt try the pizza there , but the calzone as good , but again under coooked

Me having friends in various parts of NY owning or managing Pizza places , I have learned their secrets, and I have a new high temperature oven at home ,and I make my own pizza .I have my own dough enough for usually 3 or 4 mini pizzas
if you want my recipe PM me I will give you directions

Gypsy
03-05-2008, 09:29
Boconcino's at Vremena Goda.

Judge
03-05-2008, 12:31
sadly most pizza here in Moscow falls short of true NYC pizza....Im a New Yorker the 2 main reasons is the water and yeast they use (they use dry yeast , takes time for them to germinate,and the live they just have no experience using )
they are also not making the ovens not hot enough ,and most shops do not understand when u say make it well done....they panic and give you and under cooked pizza ......
there is a place I forgot the name near Ohotney Riyahd that has awesome sauce ,but tiny portions ,high price and a poor excuse of crust

a good pasta resaurante I went to is Prego , I didnt try the pizza there , but the calzone as good , but again under coooked

Me having friends in various parts of NY owning or managing Pizza places , I have learned their secrets, and I have a new high temperature oven at home ,and I make my own pizza .I have my own dough enough for usually 3 or 4 mini pizzas
if you want my recipe PM me I will give you directions

Spot on about the oven.A proper oven for a pizza should be a wooden oven,not gas,and places that use a conveyor belt for pizza,is a big NO NO.
One more thing,a pizza should have mozzarella ONLY,not some yellowish cheese.

kapione
03-05-2008, 14:23
There are some old timers in NYC with wood fired ovens , it is alot of maintence.....
I use Skit tomato paste as the base , and fresh oregano + basil from my Rinok.I even found high quality garlic powder there too... I am having trouble finding onion powder sisnce about October 2005 here in Moscow

Some areas have mozzarella , some dont if you dont gouda is a nice subsitute , but 7 Continets is every where they have mozzarella......

I cant find Riccotta cheese lately either , any one know where I can find Riccotta and onion powder, NOT ONION salt

rosieredwood
03-05-2008, 18:39
It costs a bit more, but Pizza Hut really does a decent pie for Moscow, and there is one cafe located very close to the Tretyakovskaya metro, along Klementovsky Lane, on Pyatnitskaya St., near Rock Vegas Cafe. They use real mozerella and have grated Parmesan to add.

Other than than, Il Patio (formerly Patio Pizza) has brick-oven pizza.

DJ Biscuit
03-05-2008, 21:10
Another good pizzeria is Pinoccio's at 4 Kutuzovsky Prospect, not the restaurant part but the pizzeria itself.

kapione
03-05-2008, 22:08
It costs a bit more, but Pizza Hut really does a decent pie for Moscow, and there is one cafe located very close to the Tretyakovskaya metro, along Klementovsky Lane, on Pyatnitskaya St., near Rock Vegas Cafe. They use real mozerella and have grated Parmesan to add.

Other than than, Il Patio (formerly Patio Pizza) has brick-oven pizza.

Thanks , but I make better pizza at home than pizza hut

rosieredwood
04-05-2008, 11:58
Thanks , but I make better pizza at home than pizza hut

Can I book a table/make reservations for the family at your place for this upcoming Friday, for 8.30 pm? Do you have a price list? Could you cook an Italian-sweet-sausage-and-sauteed-spinach-with-garlic pie, with a 2/3 tomato and 1/3 pesto-based sauce with feta and mozarella cheese? Could we bring our own wine?:happy::rasta:

TD
05-05-2008, 02:18
Robert, the American owner will certainly
make you feel that the trip was worth it.

Robert was the main importer for Heineken way back - he
was also one of the partners in the original Hungry Duck bar.

Remember the beer mat wars? Those were Heineken beer mats/coasters
flying everywhere!

I remember him telling me about Beavers when it first opened
some years ago but I have never been out there. Sounds like
it might be worth the trip :-)

Billie Bob
14-05-2008, 18:55
wow, and I was at Marino last night, if I only knew about this place earlier, I would have checked it out! (its not like I hang out at marino, in the middle of now where, a place which was once known as the sewage treatment plant for all of moscow...)

anyway, back to the best pizza thread:

US Pizzas:
Papa Johns (USA) at Ulitsa kravchenko, metro prosp vernadskogo, probably the best for US style pizza. (but not NY style or by the slice options too)

Domino's Pizza (USA) Mitino location, same... good a$$ US pizza, if you live in that neck of the woods.

Pizza Hut, but only at Tretiakovskaya, not bad, and good everything...

European Pizzas:
Kolona (Italian), Park Kultury, no doubt, one of the best types of italian pizzas in moscow, just make sure that the italian chef is working... and b ready to pay for the pizza, not cheap! (sorry)

Pizza Amore (ex Italian) on leninski prospekt, actually not bad, and the soups are good too. fast and friendly service, always packed. dot have their desserts, they look good but suck the major one...

Il Patio (ex Patio Pizza), multiple locations; not bad, its like an olive garden, a chain of restaurants.

Mir Pizza (Smolensky), also, good pizzas, but a bit more expensive, hmmm... friendly staff! gets packed!

Pizzas to Stay Away From:
SBARROS! just pathetic! too many times, and last minute choices, or no choices, I regret going there for any pizzas!!!! pathetic!!! especially when you start to compare to the sbarros in the states...

Pizza Roma (USA BS) (or what ever its) at Ramstore's Kapitoli Prospekt Vernadskogo, is a copy cat version of sbarros, they have been saying they will open p 50 locations soon... but this place just sucks the big one!!! terrible, and grosteque. The owner is ex-sbarros partner in russia, and the trainer is ex sbarros too. but the quality is even more X'd!!! (they are openning up the churches fried chicken at tulskaya btw, can they fuq that up too)

kapione
14-05-2008, 19:03
wow, and I was at Marino last night, if I only knew about this place earlier, I would have checked it out! (its not like I hang out at marino, in the middle of now where, a place which was once known as the sewage treatment plant for all of moscow...)

anyway, back to the best pizza thread:

US Pizzas:
Papa Johns (USA) at Ulitsa kravchenko, metro prosp vernadskogo, probably the best for US style pizza. (but not NY style or by the slice options too)

Domino's Pizza (USA) Mitino location, same... good a$$ US pizza, if you live in that neck of the woods.

Pizza Hut, but only at Tretiakovskaya, not bad, and good everything...

European Pizzas:
Kolona (Italian), Park Kultury, no doubt, one of the best types of italian pizzas in moscow, just make sure that the italian chef is working... and b ready to pay for the pizza, not cheap! (sorry)

Pizza Amore (ex Italian) on leninski prospekt, actually not bad, and the soups are good too. fast and friendly service, always packed. dot have their desserts, they look good but suck the major one...

Il Patio (ex Patio Pizza), multiple locations; not bad, its like an olive garden, a chain of restaurants.

Mir Pizza (Smolensky), also, good pizzas, but a bit more expensive, hmmm... friendly staff! gets packed!

Pizzas to Stay Away From:
SBARROS! just pathetic! too many times, and last minute choices, or no choices, I regret going there for any pizzas!!!! pathetic!!! especially when you start to compare to the sbarros in the states...

Pizza Roma (USA BS) (or what ever its) at Ramstore's Kapitoli Prospekt Vernadskogo, is a copy cat version of sbarros, they have been saying they will open p 50 locations soon... but this place just sucks the big one!!! terrible, and grosteque. The owner is ex-sbarros partner in russia, and the trainer is ex sbarros too. but the quality is even more X'd!!! (they are openning up the churches fried chicken at tulskaya btw, can they fuq that up too)

scratch Dominos off this list , it sucks in the USA it IS not as bad as Sbarro, but is sucks hard here too
I went to the Sbarro on Tverskaya the "pizza" was like it was soaked in water ,or it fell in a pool ...It is Russia , it was my fault for ordering the pizza there, and tasted it , the manager said I ate it ! no refund !!!!

Billie Bob
14-05-2008, 19:11
scratch Dominos off this list , it sucks in the USA it IS not as bad as Sbarro, but is sucks hard here too
I went to the Sbarro on Tverskaya the "pizza" was like it was soaked in water ,or it fell in a pool ...It is Russia , it was my fault for ordering the pizza there, and tasted it , the manager said I ate it ! no refund !!!!

hmm, I have never ordered from domino's here, since I dont live in those locations, but I have ordered "take away" from them.. and will vouch, even the last time I had it up in mitino, was not bad! the dough was fine, and the toppings more than plenty (tho' I dont know how they get by without using the scale, and the pizzas are made right in front of you), the pizzas were fine. As I stated, I didn't state they are great or that I would select them over a NYC pizza (where I am from originally), Domino's for a delivery pizza here, wasn't that bad the 10+ times I had them here.

Sbarro's is just pathetic! the entire management team is a joke, not the russian managers who run the stores, the owners and the 4 expats on board (1 british guy, 1 belgian, 1 egyptian, and another bloke). they dont care about quality, and they are known to use wrong ingredients.

Sbarros when they openned up back in 98, the 1st one at the three vokzals location, was just SUPERB and the owners and the managers, along with the US training staff, were all great, friendly and the pizzas were just perfect!

I had no choice, but to go have a slice with a person I was with, at GUM, 3rd floor, this was just sh!tty pizza... this was a month ago...

kapione
14-05-2008, 19:19
Billy Bob forget good pizza here , I gave up , I worked pizza shops when I was younger, and I make my own totally from scratch , if you got a decent oven , PM me for the recipe

jumatre
14-05-2008, 19:30
Ever tried the pizzas at mama pasta? the best pizza you can taste in Moscow (as per my modest opinion...)

kapione
14-05-2008, 19:32
Ever tried the pizzas at mama pasta? the best pizza you can taste in Moscow (as per my modest opinion...)

thanks for the heads up , were is Mama's???

Etoile filante
18-05-2008, 12:21
Nice pizzas (esp. the vegetarian one) are in Felicita, Mayakovskaya metro station (3, Bolshaya Sadovaya Str.)

jumatre
19-05-2008, 04:29
thanks for the heads up , were is Mama's???

I dont know the exact adress, but will look for it tomorrow (i will be there agin). It is very closed to patriarchy prudy and Hotel Marco Polo (Metro Tverskaya + aprox. 10 minutes walk...

BeachBum
19-07-2008, 14:59
Ресторан "Биверс" - чудесная кухня, классический Американский спорт-бар, очаровательные официантки, отдых теплой компанией и просмотр спортивных трансляций (http://www.beavers.ru) <<< that's what you meant.

if they don't have those half dozen girls topless ill kick your balls
HOw is Beavers on a saturday night for picking up hot drunk chicks?

RIKO
19-07-2008, 20:03
sadly most pizza here in Moscow falls short of true NYC pizza....

Russia's has it's own version of "New York Pizza" - in downtown Novosibirsk. Check this out: Нью Йорк Пицца / New York Pizza рестораны (http://nyp.ru/doc/departments/restaurants)

MELODY
20-07-2008, 17:59
Billy Bob forget good pizza here , I gave up , I worked pizza shops when I was younger, and I make my own totally from scratch , if you got a decent oven , PM me for the recipe

Recipe?! I got all excited thinking you were going to invite us over! (And, I make a pretty damn good sauce!)

"When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie..."

MELODY
20-07-2008, 18:06
[QUOTE=Billie Bob;389217]As I stated, I didn't state they are great or that I would select them over a NYC pizza (where I am from originally), QUOTE]

Ahhhhh, NYC pizza! Grimaldi's in D.U.M.B.O. Brooklyn, near the waterfront--my favorite! Fresh-made mozzerella, fresh basil, big chunks o' gawlick...MMMM! God bless Patsy Grimaldi and all his pizza-making offspring. I also liked Big John's in the village. That was a quick, cheap but good pizza eats grab. (Grimald's is often a wait and never cheap--but totally worth it.)
Thanks for the memories!

MELODY
20-07-2008, 18:11
Nyc pizza (where I am from originally)

Hey, wait a minute, B.B.--aren't you from NYACK? Which is NO WAY New York City, you big faker.

TD
21-07-2008, 05:13
nasha pizza at the intersection of dorgomilovskaya and kutozovski has good pizza - just be sure to get the thin crust and ask for double sauce

this is the former pizza hut joint venture, but the partnership dissolved long ago and the russians took over - this pizza is much better than the new pizza hut stuff however

also has 24 hour delivery service, but it tastes so much better fresh out of the oven eaten there in the restaurant

Jbravo
01-07-2009, 03:51
The best Italian pizza I've ever had in Moscow was in Akademiya at Kamergersky Pereulok. Made in a wood oven as it should be. Other Akademyas (other than the one in Evropeisky mall) don't have wood ovens so I would recommend eating the pizza in one of these two places. The other place to have a real wood oven made pizza is Bocconcino.

As for American pizza, I would suggest Papa John's and Jack's.

kapione
03-07-2009, 12:06
Tell where the good pizza is , sadly this location isnt open to the general public

Judge
03-07-2009, 13:09
Tell where the good pizza is , sadly this location isnt open to the general public

This Judge is always honest.
The best pizza i've had in Moscow is from a little place in Medvedkovo called Donatella.
Sorry Kapione,i'm not really into pizzas with a hard crust.:redcard:

kapione
03-07-2009, 13:46
dont go to NY and ask for pizza , maybe limp pasta with Ketchup instead of true marinara sauce will be ok for you Judge ?was Donatella the place you took me to ? that was undercooked

Judge
03-07-2009, 13:56
dont go to NY and ask for pizza , maybe limp pasta with Ketchup instead of true marinara sauce will be ok for you Judge ?was Donatella the place you took me to ? that was undercooked

The place I took you to was another place(Fantozzi),it wasn't undercooked,you don't like thin crust pizza.It's all a matter of taste.I bet that you wouldn't like the pizza in the home of pizza(Naples)here is only thin crust pizza with very little toppings.
Some people like a burnt crust which stays straight(brick pizza I call this) when you hold it,but pros know that a pizza should flop(a little) when you hold it in your 3 fingers.Trust me I learnt this on my pizza tour of Italy.:10293:
Like they say, each to their own..

Rhubard Geoff
03-07-2009, 14:12
I like Correas pizza. Take away as well.

Judge
03-07-2009, 14:17
Ok Kaps, since it's your birthday soon,I will say that you make the best home pizza in the south of Moscow...Happy now..:drink:

kapione
03-07-2009, 22:58
are you working up to it Judge?

Billie Bob
04-09-2009, 18:44
Papa's Place on Miasnitskaya, metro lyubianka, good pizza, somewhat american style.

good stuff! great pizza guys, you can see them working in the open kitchen area.

24 hrs.,
no delivery

Mario
05-09-2009, 16:31
The only place I ate pizza at in Russia was at Il Patio. And that surely wasn't bad. I'm not a big fan of pizza's. Oh and I tried like one slice of pizza at МуМу. But that wasn't too good.

tvadim133
05-09-2009, 19:59
Hi! I would vote for Academia first of all, then to Bora Bora cafe, then to Mia Piace.

chrismcgee
05-09-2009, 21:49
There are some old timers in NYC with wood fired ovens , it is alot of maintence.....
I use Skit tomato paste as the base , and fresh oregano + basil from my Rinok.I even found high quality garlic powder there too... I am having trouble finding onion powder sisnce about October 2005 here in Moscow

Some areas have mozzarella , some dont if you dont gouda is a nice subsitute , but 7 Continets is every where they have mozzarella......

I cant find Riccotta cheese lately either , any one know where I can find Riccotta and onion powder, NOT ONION salt

карусель in the metropolis mall just outside the voykovskaya metro station has ricotta cheese. The largest containers I've found so far. I'm still looking for decent lasagna pasta. May actually have to learn how to make it myself.

Mario
07-09-2009, 12:43
Hi! I would vote for Academia first of all, then to Bora Bora cafe, then to Mia Piace.

Ah yes Mia Piace! Also a very good one and very stylish.

belucci
08-09-2009, 10:10
Correas ( www.correas.ru)- 5 places in moscow,
Bocconchino

Gambit
09-09-2009, 16:47
For Italian Cafe Akedemia

KirillKirill
07-10-2009, 12:12
Try to orde Imperia Pizza !