PDA

View Full Version : Pork Chops

Rustralian
09-04-2008, 14:14
This isn't a recent story, took place in 2004 but ....

In a zoo in California, a mother tiger gave birth to a rare set of triplet tiger cubs. Unfortunately, due to complications in the pregnancy, the cubs were born prematurely and due to their tiny size, they died shortly after birth.

The mother tiger after recovering from the delivery, suddenly started to decline in health, although physically she was fine. The veterinarians felt that the loss of her litter had caused the tigress to fall into a depression. The doctors decided that if the tigress could surrogate another mother's cubs, perhaps she would improve.

After checking with many other zoos across the country, the depressing news was that there were no tiger cubs of the right age to introduce to the mourning mother. The veterinarians decided to try something that had never been tried in a zoo environment. Sometimes a mother of one species will take on the care of a different species. The only orphans' that could be found quickly, were a litter of weanling pigs.

The zoo keepers and vets wrapped the piglets in tiger skin and placed the babies around the mother tiger.

Would they become cubs or pork chops ... ?

Now, please tell me one more time...
Why can't the rest of the world get along?

ridcully
09-04-2008, 14:35
Sorry guys - they are piglets in tiger skins, but I think that the pregnancy story is a hoax (see Urban Legends Reference Pages: Tiger and Piglets (http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/tigerpig.asp)).

As often happens, this appears to be a case where someone came across some unusual photos with no explanatory context, so the viewer decided to make up his own background story. The pictures are real, but the accompanying explanation about a mother tiger in California being given piglets to ease her through a depression stemming from the loss of her own cubs is fiction.

The images displayed above were taken in 2004 at the Sriracha Tiger Zoo in Chonburi, Thailand. Although the Sriracha Tiger Zoo hosts one of the world's most successful tiger breeding programs, unlike most western zoos it also offers circus- and carnival-like shows, exhibits, and interactions, including (as evidenced here) the mixture of adults and young of quite different species in the same enclosures.

The question "Now, please tell me one more time ... Why can't the rest of the world get along?" still stands ...

Penelope
09-04-2008, 15:18
Nevertheless, really really cute.

AndreyS
09-04-2008, 16:13
Personally I can imagine such a situation live. I mean a tiger which is apathetic and not trying to eat them... Several years ago I was in the Circus on Tsvetnoy bvld and remember a tiger lying on the floor in the lobby alongside a young girl posing as his trainer. This adult tiger was not wearing any muzzle, whereas the girl was really young and slim... Not strong enough to control him, to keep it from doing smth wrong...
I asked her if I could pat that great cat, and she said yes, and I did...
The more, the better, and I asked to pull its tail, and she allowed me to do that, and I did... No reaction of the tiger followed. He didn't bat his eye at me...
It was an interesting experience...

Olenka19
09-04-2008, 16:26
Personally I can imagine such a situation live. I mean a tiger which is apathetic and not trying to eat them... Several years ago I was in the Circus on Tsvetnoy bvld and remember a tiger lying on the floor in the lobby alongside a young girl posing as his trainer. This adult tiger was not wearing any muzzle, whereas the girl was really young and slim... Not strong enough to control him, to keep it from doing smth wrong...
I asked her if I could pat that great cat, and she said yes, and I did...
The more, the better, and I asked to pull its tail, and she allowed me to do that, and I did... No reaction of the tiger followed. He didn't bat his eye at me...
It was an interesting experience...

May be he ate some kind of sleeping pills? Or was made to?

AndreyS
09-04-2008, 16:34

Possibly so. He could also have drunk a lot of beer... ;-)

Olenka19
09-04-2008, 16:47
Possibly so. He could also have drunk a lot of beer... ;-)

:11629:And was satisfied and happy !!!

AndreyS
09-04-2008, 16:49
:11629:And was satisfied and happy !!!

Like we people.

Penelope
09-04-2008, 16:53
Animals that are well fed usually don't try to eat the first thing that comes along. The pictures seem to show some affection between the animals, not mere tolerance.

Olenka19
09-04-2008, 17:02
I wonder the tiger's coats that weanling pigs wear are made of real tiger's skin. Just interested

AndreyS
09-04-2008, 17:08
I think it's all the same for the tiger. She ignores even the fact they are made of pork. ;-)

Olenka19
09-04-2008, 17:31
I think it's all the same for the tiger. She ignores even the fact they are made of pork. ;-)

Or will become pork? But what about the smell that different animals have? Is it possible in wildlife for a tiger to take care about pigs or anybody else?:reindeer:

Penelope
09-04-2008, 17:37
How about dogs who nurse baby kittens, etc.? I'm sure they just made the tiger mama associate the piglets as her own. How they did it, I'm not sure. I don't think those are real tiger skins on the piglets, as that would smell more like death, anyway.

Olenka19
09-04-2008, 17:50
How about dogs who nurse baby kittens, etc.? I'm sure they just made the tiger mama associate the piglets as her own. How they did it, I'm not sure. I don't think those are real tiger skins on the piglets, as that would smell more like death, anyway.

But dogs are not predators...

Penelope
09-04-2008, 18:11
Huh? Which dogs? They are used for hunting because they are predators (albeit ones that can be trained to submit to humans).

TD
09-04-2008, 18:38
How about dogs who nurse baby kittens

or crows...

YouTube - Crow and Kitten are Friends (http://youtube.com/watch?v=1JiJzqXxgxo)

Orion
09-04-2008, 21:51
Couldn't it also be stated that this is an example of how the simple minded (lower order animals in this case) are easily fooled?

Lots of examples of this cross species, predator/prey nurturing but to answer the "why can't we all just get along" question perhaps it would be better if we didn't use an example that relied on the depressed maternal emotions of a greiving mother.

What would happen if we just dropped this piglets into the next tiger cage to the right...you know, the one with the emotionally stable tiger? (Dinner!)

AndreyS
10-04-2008, 01:20
real tiger skins on the piglets, as that would smell more like death, anyway.

Those piglets would definitely smell and behave like piglets, whatever they were wearing. The tiger seems to be very relaxed and indifferent for some reason.

Rustralian
10-04-2008, 11:18
Couldn't it also be stated that this is an example of how the simple minded (lower order animals in this case) are easily fooled?

Lots of examples of this cross species, predator/prey nurturing but to answer the "why can't we all just get along" question perhaps it would be better if we didn't use an example that relied on the depressed maternal emotions of a greiving mother.

What would happen if we just dropped this piglets into the next tiger cage to the right...you know, the one with the emotionally stable tiger? (Dinner!)

Maybe it is also about the lower order (simple minded) not being fanatical, self opinionated, bigoted jerks ....

... and what is wrong with relying upon the example of a depressed grieving mother ... she would be entitled to be angry, bitter, resentful, but she isn't ...

...or maybe the concern is more about the idea that a simple minded depressed animal is able to show genuine affection, care and concern for something totally unrelated to itself and that it is supposed to eat ... while those higher order advanced minded people that are so conditioned to their bigotry and higher minded way of thinking are unable to comprehend such selfless and balanced behaviour ....

But you are correct, we should rely upon the example we have of the pshychotic raving extremists that abound on this forum - they are all such a good example of the selfless, open minded people that make everyone get along so easily (note the sarcasm!) .... :groan:

Zhenulka
10-04-2008, 12:11
:applause: Kudos to you, Rustralian, for the above post!!!!

It's flattering to notice that I have similar tastes with the tiger. I don't like to eat pork. The tiger doesn't like to eat pork. We both prefer piglets as pets. :neiner:

Welcome back, Orion! The absence of your cynical comments in the best traditions of "realpolitik" was quite noticeable! We missed them! :evilgrin:

bambina
10-04-2008, 12:58
Hey Rustralian, I got this e-mail too and I wanted to post it but it seems you did ahead of me :applause:. Nice post.

hazelnut
10-04-2008, 22:40
... example of a depressed grieving mother ... she would be entitled to be angry, bitter, resentful, but she isn't ...

Hi, Mr Rustralian,
I'm sure an overwhelming majority of human mothers would behave quite alike this adorable tigress. (If it's of any relief to you! :))

Willy
11-04-2008, 09:34
Hi, Mr Rustralian,
I'm sure an overwhelming majority of human mothers would behave quite alike this adorable tigress. (If it's of any relief to you! :))

You would suckle six hungry piglets?

Rustralian
11-04-2008, 16:50
You would suckle six hungry piglets?

Somehow Willy, after that post, I suspect if you get too close to some of the ladies at the next Expat gathering they may well show their Tigress skills and demonstrate what a Tiger does when it doesn't want to be friendly to a piglet!

I wish you luck!

:5387::5387::5387:

Willy
11-04-2008, 16:54
Someow Willy, after that post, I suspect if you get too close to some of the ladies at the next Expat gathering they may well show their Tigress skills and demonstrate what a Tiger does when it doesn't want to be friendly to a piglet!

I wish you luck!

:5387::5387::5387:

No suckles?

Rustralian
11-04-2008, 17:00
No suckles?

I think maybe knuckles .... !

:vader:

Willy
11-04-2008, 18:07
I think maybe knuckles .... !

:vader:

It's not really the same thing then is it?

Orion
11-04-2008, 18:11
But you are correct, we should rely upon the example we have of the pshychotic raving extremists that abound on this forum

"Extremist" and "Emotionally Stable" aren't two descriptions that I think are interchangeable...

Zhenulka
11-04-2008, 18:19
"Extremist" and "Emotionally Stable" aren't two descriptions that I think are interchangeable...

Is aggressive behaviour of one mammal species towards another species a sign of extremism or emotional stability?

Benedikt
12-04-2008, 19:26

i think the second one was the case 'made to'... you find all kinds of 'doped' animals in the shopping centers and cinemas, many of them still very young and when there is no more use for them they are either being dumped or killed. sochi is known for his bear cubs when they grow out their usefull ness after a season or two they are being just killed.. it is a sad story...