PDA

View Full Version : Kazhakstan

kuranes
05-04-2008, 14:09
How's this country for getting a visas for americans. I'm getting work in siberia so all the countries west of russia are a bit too far. If anyone has 1st, 2nd even 3rd hand info that would be hot!

Transparent Theatre
05-04-2008, 14:51
In theory you can get a single-entry visa for a short visit (for "tourism") without a Visa Support - you just go to the Consulate and ask for it (they will want to see a flight ticket).

In practice I've found the Kazakstan Consulate to be the most deliberately obstructive, devious, and purposely rude imaginable. Maybe this is only the Moscow staff, and you'll have more luck with any local one nearer to you? They have a million stupid rules which are not listed in the Visa Requirements - they just use them as an excuse to reject your application. For example, they say "photocopy of your passport"... by which they mean EVERY PAGE INCLUDING THE BLANK ONES (who would have guessed that?). Then they said "you have given us a colour copy - it must be black-and-white!".

So expect soviet-era pig-headed obstruction.

I only obtained a visa (I had an Invitation from a Kazak Ministry, but this still wasn't good enough for them) by saying I would make an official complaint to my own country's Consul in Astana. I was called back the next day and given a visa, on the condition that I withdrew the complaint.

Kazaks are very formal soviet-style people. Wear a business suit to the Consulate, give them your business card, and behave as though you are the President Of The Intergalactic Federation Against Corruption. These are the only people whom they respect.

SalTheReturn
05-04-2008, 16:13
In theory you can get a single-entry visa for a short visit (for "tourism") without a Visa Support - you just go to the Consulate and ask for it (they will want to see a flight ticket).

In practice I've found the Kazakstan Consulate to be the most deliberately obstructive, devious, and purposely rude imaginable. Maybe this is only the Moscow staff, and you'll have more luck with any local one nearer to you? They have a million stupid rules which are not listed in the Visa Requirements - they just use them as an excuse to reject your application. For example, they say "photocopy of your passport"... by which they mean EVERY PAGE INCLUDING THE BLANK ONES (who would have guessed that?). Then they said "you have given us a colour copy - it must be black-and-white!".

So expect soviet-era pig-headed obstruction.

I only obtained a visa (I had an Invitation from a Kazak Ministry, but this still wasn't good enough for them) by saying I would make an official complaint to my own country's Consul in Astana. I was called back the next day and given a visa, on the condition that I withdrew the complaint.

Kazaks are very formal soviet-style people. Wear a business suit to the Consulate, give them your business card, and behave as though you are the President Of The Intergalactic Federation Against Corruption. These are the only people whom they respect.

Very interesting post Transparent Theatre.

Could you tell me if you think there are some political reasons behind that? Why Kazachstan seems to be so reluctant from allowing foreign visitors?

Thanks

Sal

Transparent Theatre
05-04-2008, 16:30
Very interesting post Transparent Theatre.

Could you tell me if you think there are some political reasons behind that? Why Kazachstan seems to be so reluctant from allowing foreign visitors?

I'm not sure they are reluctant about allowing foreign visitors, exactly, Sal. They just loving showing their power over other people, by pushing them around with stupid rules :( They treat their own people the same way - their Consulate in Moscow has just one central waiting area for all cases, foreigners and Kazakhs all together (although there are different windows for your case to be presented). It's quite horrific to wait there all day - you see mothers crying because some Official has claimed their baby isn't their own, and not entitled to be entered in their Kazakh passport :( ("Your baby is the bastard son of a Russian father, he is not ours!" they shouted at her). I don't address my complaints at all Kazakh people, but only at the "masterclass" of soviet-style burocrats who run the country unchanged from the USSR days.

Andy B
07-04-2008, 05:13
I get my Kazakh visa in embassy in Kuala Lumpur and found completely the opposite. They were friendly, helpful and couldn't do enough to help me.

That said, even the Russian embassy is like that here, so maybe it is something to do with the weather :)

kuranes
07-04-2008, 15:50
thanks guys