PDA

View Full Version : Coffee good or bad!

bambina
04-04-2008, 12:34
There were many talks of wether coffee is good or bad for health. Recent researches show that caffein in decent amount per day has actually benefits for human health. Read the article very interesting. :10293:

BBC NEWS | Health | Daily caffeine 'protects brain' (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7326839.stm)

happie
04-04-2008, 13:14
There were many talks of wether coffee is good or bad for health. Recent researches show that caffein in decent amount per day has actually benefits for human health. Read the article very interesting. :10293:

BBC NEWS | Health | Daily caffeine 'protects brain' (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7326839.stm)I know that coffee is bad for a different reason than caffeine; it contains some bad acid that speeds up our aging process, I've been told.

bambina
04-04-2008, 13:51
Well again, it is all arguable.

Here what i found on another site, I can copy and paste it but it will take the whole space so, if interested just go to the below link

Is Coffee Good or Bad? - Another Piece of Evidence --- HealthandAge (http://www.healthandage.com/public/health-center/10/article/2923/Is-Coffee-Good-or-Bad-Another-Piece-of.html)

and another one

http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Good,-the-Bad,-and-the-Ugly-of-Coffee-Consumption&id=61496:10293:

Albertina
04-04-2008, 22:48
coffee is extremely benefitial for health when it's brewed and less so in espresso.

I love it, but I noticed that for some reason when I get a hangover I can't stand the taste of coffee... why is that?

emp79
10-04-2008, 23:08
If it is bad for your health or not, I don't know, but I really wish I could find some nice expresso in Moscow. What used to be one my daily joys is now gonne cause I can't fine a decent expresso in this town.

An expresso after lunch, all it was needed to make me happy.

anthonycasey
11-04-2008, 00:40

BBC NEWS | Health | Daily caffeine 'protects brain' (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7326839.stm)
The short answer is, who cares! A day without coffee is a day gone to waste. Ditto good friends, red wine and cigarettes; oh, and food, I suppose.

MickeyTong
11-04-2008, 00:44
[QUOTE=Albertina;372742] for some reason when I get a hangover I can't stand the taste of coffee...QUOTE]

I don't know why that is. But an excellent hangover remedy is Irn Bru.

elis
11-04-2008, 01:06
I always found that a good hangover rememdy was a Bloody Bull (1/2 beer--your choice, lager preferable--and V8 or tomato juice.) Really! Quite yummy.

MissAnnElk
11-04-2008, 08:26
I always found that a good hangover rememdy was a Bloody Bull (1/2 beer--your choice, lager preferable--and V8 or tomato juice.) Really! Quite yummy.

I heard that drink called a Red Eye, I think.

bambina
11-04-2008, 09:42
If it is bad for your health or not, I don't know, but I really wish I could find some nice expresso in Moscow. What used to be one my daily joys is now gonne cause I can't fine a decent expresso in this town.

An expresso after lunch, all it was needed to make me happy.

Near metro Belorusskaya Koltsevaya there is one Italian restourant, sorry but forgot the name of it, there is only one way out, so, as soon as you go out you turn right and not passing the road again turn right pass after about 200-300 m on you right you will see it. :10293: I am not too much of an expert but we had a good esspresso over there recently.

bambina
11-04-2008, 10:26
Coffee was first consumed in the 9th century, when it was discovered in the highlands of Ethiopia.From there, it spread to Egypt and Yemen, and by the 15th century had reached Armenia, Persia, Turkey, and northern Africa. From the Muslim world, coffee spread to Italy, then to the rest of Europe and the Americas.Today, coffee is one of the most popular beverages worldwide.
Coffee has played an important role in many societies throughout modern history. In Africa and Yemen, it was used in religious ceremonies. As a result, the Ethiopian Church banned its consumption until the reign of Emperor Menelik II of Ethiopia.It was banned in Ottoman Turkey in the 17th century for political reasons, and was associated with rebellious political activities in Europe. Coffee is an important export commodity: in 2004, coffee was the top agricultural export for 12 countries,and in 2005, it was the world's seventh largest legal agricultural export by value. Some controversy is associated with coffee cultivation and its impact on the environment. Many studies have examined the relationship between coffee consumption and certain medical conditions; whether the effects of coffee are positive or negative is still disputed.

Coffee. Does the word itself make you think of exotic lands and royal intrigue? It should. Because the truth is, coffee has a deeply romantic past steeped in mystery and adventure. It has had many names, in many places. Arab traders called it Gahwah. In the Spice Islands, it was called Java. Portuguese explorers called it café. Today, there is no country in the world where coffee is not loved and enjoyed, usually with friends. In fact, "café" has even come to mean a gathering place. But it all started a long, long time ago, in a desert far away...

Coffee was initially used for spiritual reasons. At least 1,000 years ago, traders brought coffee across the Red Sea into Arabia (modern day Yemen), where Muslim monks began cultivating the shrub in their gardens. At first, the Arabians made wine from the pulp of the fermented coffee berries. This beverage was known as qishr (kisher in modern usage) and was used during religious ceremonies.

bambina
11-04-2008, 10:40
Reduced risk of Alzheimer's disease
Several studies comparing moderate coffee drinkers (about 2 cups a day) with light coffee drinkers (less than one cup a day) found that those who drank more coffee were significantly less likely to develop Alzheimer's disease later in life
Reduced risk of Parkinson's disease
A study comparing heavy coffee drinkers (3.5 cups a day) with non-drinkers found that the coffee drinkers were significantly less likely to contract Parkinson's Disease later in life. Likewise, a second study found an inverse relationship between the amount of coffee regularly drunk and the likelihood of developing Parkinson's Disease
Analgesic enhancement
Coffee contains caffeine, which increases the effectiveness of pain killers, especially migraine and headache medications. For this reason, many over-the-counter headache drugs include caffeine in their formula.
Antidiabetic
Coffee intake may reduce one's risk of diabetes mellitus type 2 by up to half. While this was originally noticed in patients who consumed high amounts (7 cups a day), the relationship was later shown to be linea
Liver disease
Coffee can also reduce the incidence of cirrhosis of the liver and has been linked to a reduced risk of hepatocellular carcinoma, a primary liver cancer that usually arises in patients with preexisting cirrhosis. The exact mechanism and the amount of coffee needed to achieve a beneficial effect are as yet unclear.
Cancer
Coffee consumption is also correlated to a reduced risk of oral, esophageal, and pharyngeal cancer. In ovarian cancer, no benefit was found. In the Nurses Health Study, a modest reduction in breast cancer was observed in postmenopausal women only, which was not confirmed in decaffeinated coffee
Prevention of dental caries
The tannins in coffee may reduce the cariogenic potential of foods. In vitro experiments have shown that these polyphenolic compounds may interfere with glucosyltransferase activity of mutans streptococci, which may reduce plaque formation. In rat experiments, tea polyphenols reduced caries
Anxiety and sleep changes
Many coffee drinkers are familiar with "coffee jitters", a nervous condition that occurs when one has had too much caffeine. It can also cause anxiety and irritability, in some with excessive coffee consumption, and some as a withdrawal symptom. Coffee can also cause insomnia in some, while paradoxically it helps some sleep more soundly.
Blood pressure
Caffeine has previously been implicated in increasing the risk of high blood pressure; however, recent studies have not confirmed any association. In a 12-year study of 155,000 female nurses, large amounts of coffee did not induce a "risky rise in blood pressure". Previous studies had already shown statistically insignificant associations between coffee drinking and clinical hypertension. Effect of coffee on morbidity and mortality due to its effect on blood pressure is too weak, and has not been studied. Other positive and negative effects of coffee on health would be difficult confounding factors.
Coronary artery disease
A 2004 study tried to discover why the beneficial and detrimental effects of coffee conflict. The study concluded that consumption of coffee is associated with significant elevations in biochemical markers of inflammation. This is a detrimental effect of coffee on the cardiovascular system, which may explain why coffee has so far only been shown to help the heart at levels of four cups (24 fl oz or 600 mL) or fewer per day.
The Iowa Women's Health Study showed that women who consumed coffee actually had fewer cardiovascular disease incidents and lower cancer rates than the general population. For women who drank 6 or more cups, the benefit was even greater. However, this study excluded 35% of its original participants who already had cardiovascular disease and other chronic diseases when the study began. Since participants were all over the age of 55, no good conclusion can be drawn about the long term effect of coffee drinking on heart disease from this study.

is4fun
14-04-2008, 23:54
When one gets up early in the morning, everything is still and quiet, calm and peaceful. Sitting on the balcony and having a cup of coffee on the balcony, wonderful! You've had a late night and no breakfast and are in time for work for the first cup of coffee, wonderful! You've been working like a dog and need a creative break and head for the coffee room, wonderful! A freind drops in for a conversation and the pot is already on the stove, wonderful!

Come on, it is not like smoking cigarettes!

Albertina
15-04-2008, 22:50
Your blood pressure is thtough the roof, heart rate is 120% and stomach hurts! A drop of coffee and you drop dead :inlove:

When one gets up early in the morning, everything is still and quiet, calm and peaceful. Sitting on the balcony and having a cup of coffee on the balcony, wonderful! You've had a late night and no breakfast and are in time for work for the first cup of coffee, wonderful! You've been working like a dog and need a creative break and head for the coffee room, wonderful! A freind drops in for a conversation and the pot is already on the stove, wonderful!

Come on, it is not like smoking cigarettes!

is4fun
15-04-2008, 23:32
Your blood pressure is thtough the roof, heart rate is 120% and stomach hurts! A drop of coffee and you drop dead :inlove:

I die feeling life was well lived... besides, stomach only feels hungry now and then and have a history of low blood pressure in the family. Coffee can't kill as this post suggests. Smoking kills, coffee keeps one awake.

Albertina
15-04-2008, 23:49
I remember times when I loved the taste of coffee so much, it really picked me up and improved my mood. Now when I'm completely addicted to it and it replaced a natural boost of energy, I don't even enjoy its taste! It's so frustrating. Maybe I should take a long break from it and then start over?!

anthonycasey
16-04-2008, 03:15
I die feeling life was well lived... besides, stomach only feels hungry now and then and have a history of low blood pressure in the family. Coffee can't kill as this post suggests. Smoking kills, coffee keeps one awake.
Ah, but a coffee with a cigarette... a risk worth taking :)

is4fun
16-04-2008, 15:58
I don't normally drink coffee in the afternoon or evening, however, the first cup in the morning starts me breathing much like a newborn getting a slap on his butt before bursting into a cry. In the evening I found guzzling some wine or what not as an Melanomin amplifier rounds off the day nicely.