PDA

View Full Version : Russian Zagranpassport

Nataliam
28-03-2008, 17:14
Can somebody advise how I can get a new passport in Moscow during a very short trip there? I looked at the Web - there are incredible prices more than $1000 for 12 day turn around?
It seems if I don't have a stamp in my still valid zagranpassport "permanently lives abroad" I can't do it in the consulate in NY.
Thanks!

Natkin
28-03-2008, 17:43
Nat, it is a headache now. They issue the new biometrics passports, which means you should be there to take your photo. I applied this week, and they told me to wait for a month.

What can you do - call your local FMS, at police office, and tell them your problem. Ask "if they know any autorised agency, where you can pay to make it in days". Being Russian you know what that means. If the officer is up to it, few dollars will help you.

You can also ask, which kind of spravka will make them hurry. Maybe you can get it from Russian consulate in NY.

I won`t advice you to deal with many companies promising to help with passport - it might be fake!!!

Penguin_The_Great
21-04-2008, 08:48
It seems if I don't have a stamp in my still valid zagranpassport "permanently lives abroad" I can't do it in the consulate in NY.
Thanks!

Oh, you absolutely can do it through the consulate, even if you don't have the "PMZh" stamp. It just takes 4-6 months, unfortunately.

miciolo
28-04-2008, 21:21
you don't have to have a "na PMZh" passport to get a new russian passport at the consulate in NY. As long as you have a valid work visa/student visa/green card/etc. (other than a regular tourist visa B2/B1) you can apply for a passport in NY. Unfortunately, it does take a long time to process - 4 to 6 months from my experience.