PDA

View Full Version : How are temp res permits issued?

CaliforniaAngel
27-03-2008, 18:14
My understanding so far is that those who have done this before submit all the documents then wait. If your visa expires you go home (to your country of origin) and wait for the notice that the permit is ready. Then get a new visa to enter Russia again to go pick up your residency.

Is this true?

Does anyone know if the residency permit gives you permission to enter Russia?

Can a spouse pick it up for you?

Can it be recieved at a Russian consulate outside of Russia?

Bels
27-03-2008, 19:55
My understanding so far is that those who have done this before submit all the documents then wait. If your visa expires you go home (to your country of origin) and wait for the notice that the permit is ready. Then get a new visa to enter Russia again to go pick up your residency.

Is this true?

Yes the wait is normally about six months. You must leave if your visa runs out. No more visa runs once you have residency. in fact you'll need a permit to get out on your first year.

So no more visas, your residency is stamped on the back of your passport.

tobias
14-04-2008, 09:05
Thanks Bels but that doesn't really answer the question. If you leave and your Visa has run out do you need to get another one to re-enter the country and pick up your Temp. Res. Can someone pick up your Temp Res for you so you don't have to get a different Visa to enter the country? I am in the same situation.

14-04-2008, 09:48
You need a visa to enter RF to pick up your RP, and you must pick it PERSONNALLY.

Bels
14-04-2008, 10:21
Thanks Bels but that doesn't really answer the question. If you leave and your Visa has run out do you need to get another one to re-enter the country and pick up your Temp. Res. Can someone pick up your Temp Res for you so you don't have to get a different Visa to enter the country? I am in the same situation.

That's because there isn't a positive answer on this one, and I like to sound positive. Yes you need to go home and get an other one. I've been through this situation as well, and leaving my wife with a young baby, but sorry there are no loop-holes if that's what you are looking for.

tobias
14-04-2008, 12:11
but sorry there are no loop-holes if that's what you are looking for.

Always, that's what gets me into trouble. :doh:

Bels
14-04-2008, 21:50
I'm always happy to provide you with a loop-hole if I can :) But unfortunately I can't. I suffered just the same as some of you are suffering now, going through the residency process.

Unfortunately it might be even worst for you, as I thankfully just missed out on this damn 90 days in and ninety days out process. But that the way it is now. Good luck luck to you all, and I sincrely mean this. I look forward to hearing from all of you has stuck out through this hard time, and keep going because it's worth it.

My wife and I can now safely start planning about how we can plan our future, about buiding our house, and about developing our future school and business. Things are lookng better, although we are still fighting red-tape due to our business. renting classrooms through the local government, BOY! the paperwork, and I thought residency was bad!! ow do entrepeneur Russians grow in business in Russia.? Never mind expats!!

Penguin_The_Great
21-04-2008, 07:48

Is this true?

CaliforniaAngel, I've been trying to figure out the same thing. My husband filed for his residency permit in Russia just a couple of months ago. We are now back in the US and are not planning to return to Russia till his paperwork is approved.
This is what I was told. When the permit is ready, FMS will send a notification to your perspective address in Russia (the one in your TRP application). Presumably, your relatives/friends live there and will be able to forward this paper to you via DHL or another courier service ( I wouldn’t rely on regular mail).
Then you will have to apply for a visa of a “temporary residing person” or something like that at your local Russian consulate (the one in San Francisco I assume, since you are in CA). You will use FMS notification as your “invitation”. The rest of the procedure is the same as for any other type of visa. I think this visa is single-entry and good for 4 months.
I called Russian Embassy in Washington D.C., and they confirmed that they will issue such a visa as soon as we get FMS notice.
Upon your arrival to Russia you will be required to show up at your local FMS within 3 days and register your residency permit.
I know that many people use private/business visas to go back to Russia and pick up their TRP when it’s ready, but I was told that getting “temporary residing person” visa is the “proper” way of doing it.

As for receiving your permit through a Russian consulate, I think it is only possible if you originally filed through them. Even then, all they would do is issue you the same TRP visa and you would still have to go to the local FMS upon arrival.

CaliforniaAngel
25-04-2008, 03:04
Penguin-
That is exactly what I just found out at the consulate yesterday. We are submitting the application at the consulate in San Francisco. Once it is approved they send a notice to us in the US and also to the consulate where we applied. Then the consulate will issue the visa for four months.
It is reassuring to know someone else got the same info.

Penguin_The_Great
25-04-2008, 03:32
Good luck with your application!
Actually, this is what we wanted to do first, too - apply through the Russian Embassy in Washington D.C. I spent a while on the phone trying to get them to accept my husband’s application, but they just flatly refused. It’s great that you actually managed to get them to follow the law (and it IS the law - they ARE supposed to accept TRP applications in consulates/embassies). We ended up taking a trip to Russia which was okay, too, because it had been about 6 years since I saw my family there.

Penguin_The_Great
25-04-2008, 06:24
I’m wondering if anyone here could help me figure out an answer to this question. I’ve heard somewhere that once the paperwork is approved you are supposed to show up at the local FMS within certain number of days (three or seven, I’m not sure) to pick it up.
Surely, it can’t be applied to those who are not in the country at the time, right? I mean, how is one supposed to be in the country for the whole six months if a visa is only good for three?
When we were applying, I asked an immigration officer if my husband was expected at the FMS within three days of his paperwork being approved. I also explained that we wouldn’t even be in Russia. She seemed unsure and said something like: “Well, maybe not within three [days]”. I don’t know what that was supposed to mean. Within 4-5 days? 30 days? She seemed clueless.
I later consulted an attorney, and she said that as long as my husband would be there within 180 days, it shouldn’t be a problem. Also, he should pick up his permit within 3 days after crossing the border. However, I’ve discovered that an attorney and FMS officers often have conflicting opinions. I hope FMS people aren’t just going to throw the permit away after a week, or recall it or something. After all, they’ll send a notice to our address in Russia and they won’t know that my husband will not be there. Maybe it will be enough to show them his passport with an entry date?
I’m a little nervous about the whole thing.
Did anyone here have actual experience with this kind of situation? Any input will be greatly appreciated!

phoenixsampras
27-04-2008, 12:34
My Tem Res. was approved almost 7 months before i picked, Obir told my wife "Please come to pick you visa, you can travel to moscow with any kind of visa and you will receive teh Tem Res, same day! if you dont come in a couple of months it will expire."

Then I got a 3 month visa, the cheapo ones which Obir gives for relatives, i arrived , the 4th day i went, they took my fingerprints, sealed the passport, and voila!!

they don't care how you arrived to moscow actually, they didn't checked the entrance voucher or anything, but of course that may change depending your Obir responsibly officer.

The point is, just come with any visa, and pick the temp res and open a champagne, easy as that.

I’m wondering if anyone here could help me figure out an answer to this question. I’ve heard somewhere that once the paperwork is approved you are supposed to show up at the local FMS within certain number of days (three or seven, I’m not sure) to pick it up.
Surely, it can’t be applied to those who are not in the country at the time, right? I mean, how is one supposed to be in the country for the whole six months if a visa is only good for three?
When we were applying, I asked an immigration officer if my husband was expected at the FMS within three days of his paperwork being approved. I also explained that we wouldn’t even be in Russia. She seemed unsure and said something like: “Well, maybe not within three [days]”. I don’t know what that was supposed to mean. Within 4-5 days? 30 days? She seemed clueless.
I later consulted an attorney, and she said that as long as my husband would be there within 180 days, it shouldn’t be a problem. Also, he should pick up his permit within 3 days after crossing the border. However, I’ve discovered that an attorney and FMS officers often have conflicting opinions. I hope FMS people aren’t just going to throw the permit away after a week, or recall it or something. After all, they’ll send a notice to our address in Russia and they won’t know that my husband will not be there. Maybe it will be enough to show them his passport with an entry date?
I’m a little nervous about the whole thing.
Did anyone here have actual experience with this kind of situation? Any input will be greatly appreciated!

Penguin_The_Great
27-04-2008, 17:16
Great, thank you so much for this information!