PDA

View Full Version : Income for English native teachers

Bels
25-03-2008, 23:11
Income for English native teachers

What’s the current income package for a native English teacher nowadays? What I mean is a teacher who is legally employed in this country with a proper work contract and package. A teacher who can get employed from their own country, by either having an interview in their own, or more likely have a telephone interview.. And where they will be offered a genuine monthly or weekly salary, flight costs and visa costs covered, personal invitation from the company, health insurance,, and last but not least accommodation of a lat provided free of charge.

I know that including that package they were offering $15 an hour with guaranteed hours of at least 30 hours per week. Often 40 hours per week. Probably it’s now $20 an hour, but due to inflation and where the rate was too low before? It’s still no good.

Now what about those offering just a few hours for expats, and offering even less. What do you think of those advertising here, when you know you can get much more? They are are offering just afew hours of which you can get much more yourself. And do they ensure that you are legal.or do they just hope in some way you are? How possible is that nowadays :)

For freelance, those who can’t offer the above, the best I’ve seen is from BKC for freelancers. 1,500 rublees ($60) an hour and over 2,000 rublees per hour ($80) an hour for outside Moscow. It makes common sense doesn’t it?

Now for private teachers, doesn’t it make sense to charge 2000 rublees per academic hour direct???? I think so, and that’s my target starting September 2008. At the moment it’s 1500 rublees and no problem

Judge
25-03-2008, 23:31
A mate of mine just started at BKC,he's on $1000 for 30hrs a month,he gets his flat free , metro pass ,''work contract and package'',I have already found him 3 private students and now makes more from these 3 students than he makes at BKC.

Bels
25-03-2008, 23:46
Thanks, and I believe it. The rates I stated for BKC was for freelancers, and not for newbies coming to Russia for the first time. I still recommend that newbies get their proper contracts from the now claimed McD's of which BKC and LL are two of them. Why? Because they are safe, secondly they are offering more for newbies than what others are, considering the whole package they offer. And I repeat!! They are safe. It's no good a new language centre offering less when they might find that they can't deliver what they offer. Read all forums and find out what I'm talking about.

Ensure you are employed by areputable and stable company!!

Ryabenko
27-03-2008, 11:47
A mate of mine just started at BKC,he's on $1000 for 30hrs a month,he gets his flat free , metro pass ,''work contract and package'',I have already found him 3 private students and now makes more from these 3 students than he makes at BKC.

I think 1000 dollars is very little, even if the flat is free. I wonder why they accept it. A friend of mine is a senior teacher at BKC, so she might be getting 1500 $ but still it's too little... Strange.

Bels
27-03-2008, 12:40
Yes , and also very strange that income hasn't risen over the past four years. Those of us who live here, are experiencing an extremely high rate of inflation in Moscow. Income has not risen to keep up with this inflation rate.

Even then it was low. However, those to schools are the only safe option for newbies coming to Moscow. Even those schools offering more, you must weigh up the differences in what package others offer. You must also determine whether the school has a history and a good reputation of ensuring that the school will actually deliver the income package offered.

You must also satisfy yourself that the school is legally employing you.