PDA

View Full Version : Phrasal verbs in English: Advanced level plus

Bels
25-03-2008, 21:07
Phrasal verbs with keep

For advanced level EFL students. Not for sal I’m afraid, as he won’t cope. Gypsy maybe; only joking :) Gypsy and others can comment and give comments and reasons later. My guess is that teachers such as TH&VK will provide the best explanations as usual. We will see. :)

Replace the following sentences in bold, using phrasal verbs with keep. If necessary use a decent dictionary to help you.

1.If you want to do well in politics, you need to stay friendly with people who have power and influence.
2.Don’t get involved in this matter, Richard. It’s nothing to do with you.
3.I’ve had enough working with you, because you never obey the rules of our agreements.

Non native speakers, give me input if you find it difficult. But my impression is that if you have managed to communicate with expats here on a regular basis, you may well do ok. :)

IraM
25-03-2008, 22:29
1.If you want to do well in politics, you need to stay friendly with people who have power and influence.
2.Donít get involved in this matter, Richard. Itís nothing to do with you.
3.Iíve had enough working with you, because you never obey the rules of our agreements.

1. stay friendly with... = keep company with...
2. Don't get involved in... = keep out of ...
3. obey the rules of our agreement = keep to our agreement

Bels
25-03-2008, 22:33
Any more ? I'll tell you more later. Welldone Ira.

Olenka19
25-03-2008, 23:03
Phrasal verbs with keep

For advanced level EFL students. Not for sal Iím afraid, as he wonít cope. Gypsy maybe; only joking :) Gypsy and others can comment and give comments and reasons later. My guess is that teachers such as TH&VK will provide the best explanations as usual. We will see. :)

Replace the following sentences in bold, using phrasal verbs with keep. If necessary use a decent dictionary to help you.

3.Iíve had enough working with you, because you never obey the rules of our agreements.

Non native speakers, give me input if you find it difficult. But my impression is that if you have managed to communicate with expats here on a regular basis, you may well do ok. :)

1. keep in
2. keep clear
3. keep up

Miracle77777
25-03-2008, 23:43

Thanks, Bels - nice quiz......

Here are my version))

1. If you want to do well in politics, you need to keep faithwith people who have power and influence.
2.Keep your nose clean from this matter, Richard. Itís nothing to do with you.
3.Iíve had enough working with you, because you never keep up the rules of our agreements.

:bookworm:

Bels
25-03-2008, 23:55
Thanks everyone. I'll be back. :)

Miracle77777
26-03-2008, 00:06
Thanks everyone. I'll be back. :)

Please - define time and day^^

I will KEEP MY EYE on this Thread...;)

Judge
26-03-2008, 00:21
Top thread Bels,knowing PV is a must for non-native speakers,,there are about 5000 PV and knowing many of them will help a person speak more like a native.
If anyone is interested,I can email you a PV book,if you're interested send me a pm.

Bels
26-03-2008, 00:21
Sometime tomorrow, I start work at 11pm. But it's generally a holiday, so my hours are few this week. No kids, as they're on holiday this week :)

I want to give a little time for others to contribute, and also it's late and everyones asleep except me for the moment.

Imight make a mistake and get a gypsy :)

SalTheReturn
26-03-2008, 00:39
I like this thread too, it is probably the best one Bels has ever posted

keep up the good work and you will be surprised to see how green i will make yur badge

Bels
26-03-2008, 12:41
1. If you want to do well in politics, you need to keep in with people who have power and influence.
2. Keep out, Richard. It’s nothing to do with you.
3. I’ve had enough working with you, because you never keep to the rules of our agreements.

All phrasal verbs are inseparable in this case.

Bels
26-03-2008, 12:48
1. stay friendly with... = keep company with...
2. Don't get involved in... = keep out of ...
3. obey the rules of our agreement = keep to our agreement

This is the best answer, well done Ira. A good try on number 1. which is keep in with

AndreyS
26-03-2008, 12:55
This is the best answer, well done Ira. A good try on number 1. which is keep in with

How about keep up with?

Bels
26-03-2008, 12:59
On the top of my head, keep up with would be for example;

Tom can't keep up with Dick and Harry, because he's too slow at running.

Keep in touch :)

AndreyS
26-03-2008, 13:03
On the top of my head, keep up with would be for example;

Tom can't keep up with Dick and Harry, because he's too slow at running.

Thank you for the example.
In my head:

They couldn't keep up with their debts, so company went bust.

Bels
26-03-2008, 13:15
A good suggestion I would like to make would be to look up any decent dictionary, such as Oxford, Cambridge, Longmans or Websters, and look up the word keep What examples do you see with the word keep

AndreyS
26-03-2008, 13:25
A good suggestion I would like to make would be to look up any decent dictionary, such as Oxford, Cambridge, Longmans or Websters, and look up the word keep What examples do you see with the word keep

You are right Bels. And I do!!!
But the idea is: what is already stuck in our heads not dictionaries! ;-)

Another thing. When I check out a dictionary and find quite a lot of meanings for one word, and it seems difficult to memorize them all at once, I wonder which meaning is most common.
In this sense it is very useful to ask a true brit like you: what crosses your mind FIRST if I say smth (e.g. keep up with)? And true brit answers...
Thank you!

Bels
26-03-2008, 14:27
Replace the following sentences in bold, using phrasal verbs with keep;

She prevented them from going to sleep by telling them one story after another.
When you leave school or university it is quite difficult to continue with friendships even those that have been particularly intimate.
You haven’t told me everything, have you? I’m sure there is something you are not telling me.

AndreyS
26-03-2008, 14:40

When you leave school or university it is quite difficult to continue with friendships even those that have been particularly intimate.
You haven’t told me everything, have you? I’m sure there is something you are not telling me.

she kept them awake
keep in touch with
smth you are keeping in mind (or keeping to yourself)

Bels
26-03-2008, 14:49
I'll keep it in mind that last answer. :)

SalTheReturn
26-03-2008, 15:41

You havenít told me everything, have you? Iím sure there is something you are not telling me.

1.no idea
2. to keep up or keep on?
3. no idea and would not require just a PV but a whole change in the sentence construction

Penelope
26-03-2008, 15:51

She prevented them from going to sleep by telling them one story after another. She kept them awake/kept them from sleeping by telling them one story after another.
When you leave school or university it is quite difficult to continue with friendships even those that have been particularly intimate. When you leave school or university it is quite difficult to keep in touch with friends even those that have been particularly intimate.
You havenít told me everything, have you? Iím sure there is something you are not telling me. You havenít told me everything, have you? Iím sure there is something you're keeping from me

SalTheReturn
26-03-2008, 16:00

this was not aimed at you

Bels
26-03-2008, 16:30
Well done sal :question:

Here are the answers;

She kept them up by telling them one story after another.
When you leave school or university it is quite difficult to keep up with friendships even those that have been particularly intimate.
You haven’t told me everything, have you? I’m sure there is something you are keeping back.

Bels
29-03-2008, 23:34
Complete the following sentences in bold, with the correct form of set up or set off.
Hopefully it’s easy, but it will become clear to you that some phrasal verbs have many meanings.

1. It was six o-clock in the morning when we ________ for the monastery in the mountains
2. On of the most memorable things that happened was when someone ________ a fire alarm by mistake.
3. The police have_______ road blocks everywhere in an attempt to catch the thieves.
4. She wore a black evening dress that ________ her poor complexion beautifully.
5. Could you come and help me ___ the video – I can’t make head nor tail of the instructions.
6. My wife and I are thinking of ____ a small business together.
7. The police were asking me lots of questions about something about something I knew nothing about.
8. The officer in charge of the operation said that even said that even someone slamming a door could _____ the bomb.

My experiments now state that it is not so easy. So I’ll wait for someone who can complete all the sentences, and hopefully you will fully understand all what you have answered. My guess is that there will be some questions

New Native teachers must not assume things might be so easy as they first thought. Some verbal phrases can be very difficult for EFL students to comprehend, and let's not forget about the vocabulary of the sentences. This is an introduction to Proficiency level.

Bels
29-03-2008, 23:45
Some verbal phrases are direct translation in Russian, but not all.

That reminds me, another one that just happened in my lessons " I get on like a house on fire with this guy". I had many Russian EFL students who could not comprehend this phrase.

Bels
30-03-2008, 00:30
Now for some more, so you now have two lots to handle. I think these are more difficult.

Rewrite each the following sentences using a phrasal verb stand, and making any other necessary changes.

1. Whatever the outcome of the trial, we must be supportive and remain loyal to him
We must _____ the outcome of the trial

2. What do the letters ___________sentence?
What do the letters _________ sentence ?

3. We find such behaviour quite unacceptable.
We won’t ________ behaviour

4. It will easier for people to see the sign at night if we use neon lights
Neon lights will __________ at night
5. It’s a pity nobody defended him when they started making accusations.
I wish somebody ___________their accusations.

6. Make it clear you don’t accept his unfair treatment of you, otherwise he’ll never change.
He’ll continue to treat ___________________ to him

7. Of all the singers, Carol is by far the best
Carol ___________ the singers

6. Would you mind doing Robin’s job while he’s away?
Would you mind _________ he’s away.

Albertina
30-03-2008, 11:26
At last, something useful on the site! Keep it up - I'll stand by looking for someone to complete the exercise :D

Bels
30-03-2008, 12:09
Thank you, I'll be standing by also :)

hazelnut
30-03-2008, 19:20
1. It was six o-clock in the morning when we ________ for the monastery in the mountains
2. On of the most memorable things that happened was when someone ________ a fire alarm by mistake.
3. The police have_______ road blocks everywhere in an attempt to catch the thieves.
4. She wore a black evening dress that ________ her poor complexion beautifully.
5. Could you come and help me ___ the video Ė I canít make head nor tail of the instructions.
7. The police were asking me lots of questions about something about something I knew nothing about.
8. The officer in charge of the operation said that even said that even someone slamming a door could _____ the bomb.

1. It was six o-clock in the morning when we set up for the monastery in the mountains
2. On of the most memorable things that happened was when someone set off a fire alarm by mistake.
3. The police have set up road blocks everywhere in an attempt to catch the thieves.
4. She wore a black evening dress that set off her poor complexion beautifully.
5. Could you come and help me set up the video Ė I canít make head nor tail of the instructions.
6. My wife and I are thinking of setting up a small business together.
7. The police were asking me lots of questions about something about something I knew nothing about. :question:
8. The officer in charge of the operation said that even said that even someone slamming a door could set off the bomb.

hazelnut
30-03-2008, 19:50
1. Whatever the outcome of the trial, we must be supportive and remain loyal to him

We wonít ________ behaviour

5. Itís a pity nobody defended him when they started making accusations.

6. Make it clear you donít accept his unfair treatment of you, otherwise heíll never change.
Heíll continue to treat ___________________ to him

6. Would you mind doing Robinís job while heís away?
Would you mind _________ heís away.

We must stand by the outcome of the trial.

Don't understand the meaning of that phrase :rant:

We wonít stand for such behaviour.

4. It will easier for people to see the sign at night if we use neon lights.
Have no idea...

I wish somebody had stood against their accusations.

6. Make it clear you donít accept his unfair treatment of you, otherwise heíll never change.
Heíll continue to treat you unfairly, unless you stand up to him.

Carol stands out against the other singers.

Would you mind stand in for Robin while heís away?

Albertina
30-03-2008, 20:19
is it 'against' or 'among' the other singers? Among sounds better to me.

hazelnut
30-03-2008, 20:22

or maybe "stands out FROM"? :idea:

IraM
30-03-2008, 20:28
5. Could you come and help me ___ the video Ė I canít make head nor tail of the instructions.

Rewrite each the following sentences using a phrasal verb stand, and making any other necessary changes.

We wonít ________ behaviour

Heíll continue to treat ___________________ to him

Would you mind _________ heís away.

Too late again!!
Hazelnut's answers are great as usual but what about the first one? I think - set off for the monastery.

As for the second part - 2 What do the letters stand for in the sentence? (otherwise i don't understand that either.)

4 Neon lights will stand out at night.

7 as a variant - Carol stands head and shoulders above all the singers.

hazelnut
30-03-2008, 20:36
Would you mind stand in for Robin while heís away?

self-correction:
Would you mind standing in for Robin... :clown:

Bels
30-03-2008, 20:39

In this case stands out against is correct. As you thanked the post what is your natural instincts on this as a native. My instincts and source books states that's the way it is.

MickeyTong
30-03-2008, 20:44
Me? I think "stands out against" is preferable, but I wouldn't find fault with "stands out from".

hazelnut
30-03-2008, 20:55
Among sounds better to me.

it depends, of course, but sometimes I would rather be against than among ;)

:plane:

Bels
30-03-2008, 21:47
I think I've mentioned this one before, but I had an argument with some very good students about the phrase " I got on with him like a house on fire" meaning I got on with him extremely well. But they couldn't get their heds round that in fact the meaning was positive. But tht's an example of that's the way it is.

Bels
30-03-2008, 21:52
Judge might have had similar experiences as he's taught businiess English Intermediate leval, Market Leader coursebook. I appear to be going through this course over and over again.

hazelnut
30-03-2008, 21:57
me too, I find it odd... "house on fire" can hardly be considered as something positive, no?
so, it must be one of those things in a foreign language that you should just remember rather than understand?...

MickeyTong
30-03-2008, 22:01
Yep, it's an absurdity, really.
"Getting on like a sinking ship"?????
"Getting on like a crashing train"????
"Getting on like an exploding bomb"????

Bels
30-03-2008, 22:13
I need all correct answers :) Where's Sal. as he's the one that stated that the previous quiz of common mistakes were only intermediate level. This is now Advanced plus level, or what we call a small part so far is based on preparing for proficiency level, compared with educated native speakers level.
So sal, have a go, as last time you failed miserably on what you called intermediate level.

hazelnut
30-03-2008, 22:15

and all this is about getting on well? :nut:

in Russian we have a saying "как кошка с собакой" (kak koshka s sobakoy - to be like cat with dog), which means "on very bad terms". just for info :clown:

MickeyTong
30-03-2008, 22:19
Sorry..the sinking ship, etc, are not used (I just made them up)
But we also say "they fight like cat and dog"

hazelnut
30-03-2008, 22:27
Sorry..the sinking ship, etc, are not used (I just made them up)

buahahaha :D:D:D
funny
sounded convincing, and after house on fire I would believe anything!

Bels
30-03-2008, 22:35
buahahaha :D:D:D
funny
sounded convincing, and after house on fire I would believe anything!

So you would have argued with me also "House on fire". Yes phrases can be illogical and many phrases are illogical to many, many of the illogical ones are the same as Russian , but in this case house on fire is not one of them.

How many times have I heard, "Yes I know, you don't need to explain as it's exactly the same in Russian.

Albertina
30-03-2008, 22:42
Well, if I say 'stands out in a crowd' - against sounds awkward...

Albertina
30-03-2008, 22:48

Jeez, why complicate things...

'Getting on like Sal and Bels' says it all... happily ever after...

or' Getting on like Sal and everyone else; :p

MickeyTong
30-03-2008, 22:48
"stands out in a crowd" is correct, but "stands out against the mediocre crowd"

Bels
30-03-2008, 23:00
So, for the moment while I wait for all correct answers, in phrasal verbs? Which phrasal verbs do yo you know that are in Russian directly tranlated in Russian. Try giving a sentence example with this phrasal verb. Or try any phrasal verb in Russian,if it doesn't apply to English it might be very amusing :) O r any phrase will do.

Bels
30-03-2008, 23:38

But don't stand in my way, top of the head ones are always the best rather than resource books:)

So who gets on with Sal? and who doesn't get on with sal? That's another off the resource books.

Should we vote for it :)

Or is their anybody who would to get off with him :)

Bels
30-03-2008, 23:40
Let;'s get going :)

Albertina
31-03-2008, 00:13

ok now, what's this subtle difference of the 2nd vs. the 1st. It all starts to escape me now... world seemed so simple and clear right before I had read this... :wazzup:

Bels
31-03-2008, 00:23

ok now, what's this subtle difference of the 2nd vs. the 1st. It all starts to escape me now... world seemed so simple and clear right before I had read this... :wazzup:

Keep it simple for phrasal vers, and don't get carried away, get stuck into it and don't get carried away with it all

I'll stick with you and check it all out eventually :mml:

AndreyS
31-03-2008, 00:43
Keep it simple for phrasal vers, and don't get carried away, get stuck into it and don't get carried away with it all

I'll stick with you and check it all out eventually :mml:

Yes! But please stick to more or less common ones. Keep in mind we are neither British nor Americans.

Bels
31-03-2008, 00:53
What i'll do is what is required for Cambridge proficiency level, if you ever want to take it. I will use one particular verb of which their may well have many meaninings when brought together with other words. This knowledge will be required for this level.

When I decide to answer the previous sentences. there will be more. Now I know that in intermediate level you should now be be aware pf the words get and got and you should have been asked to mesmorise as many phrases you can find using these words. As it is claimed as the most commonly used word for phrases. In a good dictionary you find it has several pages.,

Albertina
31-03-2008, 01:02
Get out of here! :neiner:

that's what I mesmorised :D

AndreyS
31-03-2008, 01:03
What i'll do is what is required for Cambridge proficiency level, if you ever want to take it. I will use one particular verb of which their may well have many meaninings when brought together with other words. This knowledge will be required for this level.

When I decide to answer the previous sentences. there will be more. Now I know that in intermediate level you should now be be aware pf the words get and got and you should have been asked to mesmorise as many phrases you can find using these words. As it is claimed as the most commonly used word for phrases. In a good dictionary you find it has several pages.,

OK. But under these CPE requirements should we just understand them or use it actively in our own oral speech?
And, in your opinion, how many phrasals is a must?
Hope not 5000 or 10000 (like in special dictionaries)?

AndreyS
31-03-2008, 01:06
Get out of here! :neiner:

that's what I mesmorised :D

Thank you for your true feelngs dear!