PDA

View Full Version : Teachers in "outer" Russia?

jeffpv
25-03-2008, 16:41
This is not limited to teachers outside of Russia; however, since this is a Moscow forum I thought I'd better write that on the topic title.
I have been thinking it would be a fun idea to gather teachers from around the country somewhere outside of the usual suspects of Moscow and St. Pete. I was thinking perhaps Siberia, or even way out east in Khabarovsk, or even Vladivostok (where I call "home").
Anyone else keen on the idea? I've posted this on a couple of other sites and have only had a couple of nibbles. Was thinking I might find some interest here.

Bels
25-03-2008, 16:56
I've had a look at other adverts offering jobs outside Moscow. I can't say I'm impressed. A teacher will need a good package like any other expat would expect. I'm afraid they can no longer afford a native speaking teacher.

But if you are aware of any enticing offers, let us know.Best place to search is tefl.com, or eslcafe.com

Larry Paradine
25-06-2008, 21:04
I've already replied to this on another site, but I'm doing this to boost the thread back to top of the list, because BELS obviously didn't read the OP's post properly. It's not about jobs in provincial Russia, it's a post from a teacher in provincial Russia who wants to set up an annual get together of expat teachers to exchange ideas, information and tall stories. He's a long term resident in Russia, knows more about the country than many Russians (and, dare I say it, many if not most contributors to this forum) and is quite prepared to travel to the convention (in another forum, he suggested Novosibirsk, which is further from his base in Vladivostok than from Moscow). When I replied to his post in the other forum, I'm afraid I rather poured cold water on the idea, but that was because, as I pointed out, most expats are Moscow based and would probably regard a day trip just to the Golden Ring cities as equivalent to a voyage to Pluto. Hope bringing the topic back to page one will breathe some life back into your project JPV. Come on, you denizens of the Great Wen on the Moskva, venture out of your expat ghettos and take a look at the real Russia.

Bels
25-06-2008, 21:35
Why not, let's discuss, as I love a debate, although I use the same name on the other few forums I us I am not sure what you mean. So it's about a provincial teacher who wants to set up annual get together of expat teachers to exchange ideas, information and tall stories.

Well let's start doing that here first!! Problem is do you have any idea of how many Russian expat native teachers are around here at this moment, between the months of June and August. But please if you are here , please let us know I'm here will do. :)

I've already replied to this on another site, but I'm doing this to boost the thread back to top of the list, because BELS obviously didn't read the OP's post properly. It's not about jobs in provincial Russia, it's a post from a teacher in provincial Russia who wants to set up an annual get together of expat teachers to exchange ideas, information and tall stories. He's a long term resident in Russia, knows more about the country than many Russians (and, dare I say it, many if not most contributors to this forum) and is quite prepared to travel to the convention (in another forum, he suggested Novosibirsk, which is further from his base in Vladivostok than from Moscow). When I replied to his post in the other forum, I'm afraid I rather poured cold water on the idea, but that was because, as I pointed out, most expats are Moscow based and would probably regard a day trip just to the Golden Ring cities as equivalent to a voyage to Pluto. Hope bringing the topic back to page one will breathe some life back into your project JPV. Come on, you denizens of the Great Wen on the Moskva, venture out of your expat ghettos and take a look at the real Russia.

Bels
25-06-2008, 21:50
Ok, first question, what's the income as they are already complaining about the offers in Moscow. Now I know The Siberians have money as there are many of them coming to Summer Schools in England, so they do have the money. So what's it like in setting yourself up in a classroom and charging 2000p per 45 minutes whether it be one or a group of eight for example.

I'm sorry, but it's all about money if you are talking about legal expats with a Russian famiy to take care of. And we really do need to be seen as real professionals or not at all. That's the problem.

xSnoofovich
25-06-2008, 21:58
I thought he just wanted to get together to talk to people in a similar situation, have a few drinks, swap stories, and that was about it.

Bels
25-06-2008, 22:07
I have carefully looked at the offers offered outside Moscow and I am not impressed. Al thge adverts need to to provide more deetail of income rather than stupid statements of income being good for locality, and they should provide more detail of what the accommadation for the teacher will be like.
Entice them and they will come.

For example I am very interested in the natural nature and wildlife of Siberia, but if you are offering individuals who happen to have families , you will get no response. Please offer an attractive deal and you will find the best. Offer garbage, and you will be lucky to get monkeys.

Bels
25-06-2008, 22:11
I thought he just wanted to get together to talk to people in a similar situation, have a few drinks, swap stories, and that was about it.

Well I've started the talk, but as often happens here the thread writer doesn't bother continueing his/her thread :(

Bels
25-06-2008, 22:17
Hopefully Larry Paradine can continue the control of this thread, as he obviously has some belief of teaching outside the area. And I encurage to take over in the discussion of the discussion of this thread.

I've already replied to this on another site, but I'm doing this to boost the thread back to top of the list, because BELS obviously didn't read the OP's post properly. It's not about jobs in provincial Russia, it's a post from a teacher in provincial Russia who wants to set up an annual get together of expat teachers to exchange ideas, information and tall stories. He's a long term resident in Russia, knows more about the country than many Russians (and, dare I say it, many if not most contributors to this forum) and is quite prepared to travel to the convention (in another forum, he suggested Novosibirsk, which is further from his base in Vladivostok than from Moscow). When I replied to his post in the other forum, eacingI'm afraid I rather poured cold water on the idea, but that was because, as I pointed out, most expats are Moscow based and would probably regard a day trip just to the Golden Ring cities as equivalent to a voyage to Pluto. Hope bringing the topic back to page one will breathe some life back into your project JPV. Come on, you denizens of the Great Wen on the Moskva, venture out of your expat ghettos and take a look at the real Russia.

xSnoofovich
26-06-2008, 10:28
For example I am very interested in the natural nature and wildlife of Siberia, but if you are offering individuals who happen to have families , you will get no response.

Bels-
Have you ever been to Siberia? Or to the Far East?

Larry Paradine
26-06-2008, 14:03
X Snoofeovich (hope I've spelled that correctly, sorry if not) has got the message, BELS obviously hasn't. Nobody posting to this thread is offering anyone a job anywhere, the OP just wanted to find out if expat teachers in Russia were interested in an annual get together. He (jpvandervelt, the OP) usually contributes to the Russia and CIS forum at eslcafe.com (from which I was expelled for daring to compare an overzealous moderator to Big Brother, but BELS hasn't been so indiscreet so he can pm jpv there, as can anyone else who isn't persona non grata on that site). I have to leave Russia very soon and don't have much hope of returning before September, so wouldn't be able to attend anyway.

However, BELS, even though you're wittering on about something completely different, I can answer your question about remuneration in the provinces. My old Samara employer, British-American Language Centre (formerly Volga Centre), is now offering salaries around the $1,000 mark plus apartment, which compares very favourably to Moscow. I left them over a year ago and now wish I hadn't. The "Macdonalds" school franchises in the backwoods seem to have upped their offers recently too. There are, of course, cities in Russia where the cost of living is as high as, or even higher than in, Moscow, but they are so far off the beaten track that no teaching companies I know of operate in them anyway. I can tell you that a grand a month plus kvartira anywhere in Volga-Ural or south-central Siberia would enable you to live more comfortably than twice that salary without a flat in Moscow.

I hope jpv will pick up this thread, after all it's his and I'm soon going to have very limited internet access once I'm away from home, so can't promise to answer anyone's questions immediately or take part in any debate. Regards to all.

jeffpv
27-10-2008, 05:18
Sorry, all! I had thought this thread had died an unceremonious death, so didn't check on it. :rant:
In any case, I was suggesting a bit of a get-together (or something) with teachers outside the Moscow/St. Pete areas.
Even if a get-together is out of the question, it'd be cool to know if there's anyone out here in the east. I will soon be traveling around quite a bit as IELTS examiner, and wouldn't mind meeting up if I make it to one of your cities!
Be well.

jeffpv
27-10-2008, 05:22

Yes, that's precisely was what I was (am) doing.

In response to BELS (read through his stuff): There are many private opportunities in Siberia and the RFE (Far East). Most cities have no (or very few) native speakers with proper visas/registration/licenses, so getting into those markets could be quite lucrative, IMO.

If anyone picks this thread back up, I'd be more than happy to start a dialogue regarding the original idea.