PDA

View Full Version : Russian citizenship

Eastern_Rose06
22-03-2008, 05:10
Hi. I have been married to a Russian citizen and living in the Russian Federation proper for 8 years. Now, I see our marriage must end, but during this time, I did not apply for Russian citizenship. I love Russia and want to stay here, but I can only acquire Russian citizenship if I can prove I have permanent residence. At this time, I am separated from my husband, and live in a flat...My soon to be ex-husband has bought a new house but refuses to allow me to use this new address for my passport and for our son's passport until I agree to live with him again. He is abusve and I just want me and my son to live a peaceful life away from him...What are my options????

22-03-2008, 20:58
Have you got a residence permit? If not during 8 years living here and being married, it is hard to understand!

If you have one but "just" a problem for the registered address, that should be solved quickly through some agencies that supply this kind of service.

If you have the RP, no problem to get the citizenship as the law says:
- Immediately if you are married since +3 years with a RF citizen
OR
- 5 years life in Russia if no marriage.

It means that even if you divorce before applying for the citizenship, it is OK t get it IF you are with a RP more than 5 years old.

If you havent a residence permit, no way to get the citizenship.