7 McGuffey Readers 60
8 Common Sense Book of Baby and Childcare 50
9 The Da Vinci Code 43
10 A Message to Garcia 40

Your comments about this rating????

Thanks......

Orion
20-03-2008, 00:04
Not really sure what type of commetn you would be looking for on that list.

Just surprised that LoR is so high...good books but really, that many sold?

Da Vinci Code is just garbage with bad history thrown in. And I don't about the 'Garcia' book...never heard of it.

The rest seem unremarkable...reference books of one sort or another.

Albertina
20-03-2008, 21:18
My comment? I must be in the top 1% of population by IQ, as I only read two of those and can't remember much from any of the two.
Namely, the Bible and Da Vince Code...
I must be much smarter than most of the people then :idea:! I don't read Guiness book or Grammar books..

But seriously, one can talk about best-selling books, how do they know the best read book... ?!

is4fun
21-03-2008, 00:11
1 Holy Bible - 6 000
2 Mao Zedong's red book 900
3 Lord of the Rings 100
4 American Spelling Book 100
5 Guinness Book of Records 100
6 World Almanac 80
7 McGuffey Readers 60
9 The Da Vinci Code 43

Thanks......

Please provide your sources. Are these the most popular in the world or the most printed?

Miracle77777
21-03-2008, 00:38
Please provide your sources. Are these the most popular in the world or the most printed?

Source is RBK-rating.
About your second question: I think both.
If book becomes popular - naturally demand on it is increasing and publicity need to print more books...:)
Numbers after names are index of millions of copies which had been sold .....

Orion
21-03-2008, 18:03
So, Miracle, what are your Top 5 of 10 books?

Penelope
21-03-2008, 18:12
Most popular=most sold? most read? Voted most popular in some kind of poll? According to a survey? Were people given a list?

The methodology should be somewhere where the results are posted. It's completely meaningless otherwise.

Miracle77777
21-03-2008, 23:48
Most popular=most sold? most read? Voted most popular in some kind of poll? According to a survey? Were people given a list?

The methodology should be somewhere where the results are posted. It's completely meaningless otherwise.

I see your point, Pene....

Guess, here - it is rating by results of printed or sold books..by statistic...

As no one could be sure, that every book, which had been sold - had been also read by someone....;)

Footnote: LOL - and why I should be a defender of this RBK-rating?? :D

Miracle77777
21-03-2008, 23:51
So, Miracle, what are your Top 5 of 10 books?

I am a bit selective in Reading, Orion...:D

So - except the first one - others aren't in the list of my faves for sure......Yet........:12115:

PS: The meaning of the Thread was, actually to see your comments about Cultural Level of Our Generation......

And I am saying it without Criticizm or irony.....:)

Orion
22-03-2008, 13:48
I don't know if lists like this say much of anything about the current state of culture. Almost everyone that is a Christian owns at least one bible...probably several when you think that kids often have their own. So, that is more than one per family which you wouldn't see with any other book.

Mao's book...well, without first hand knowledge I would bet that it is pretty near mandatory reading in china...

then a few reference books...spelling, records, childcare...

So if you are looking at culture then you only have a couple to look at.

Lord of the Rings and Da Vinci Code were both made into multi-million dollar Hollywood movies. That can't help but spur sales. That fact that lots of people had read Tolkien before helps and with the trilogy of movies drawing the numbers it did that can't help but have driven those new fans to buy the books.

DVC was an "Oprah Book Club" book before a movie, if I remember correctly. In America, Oprah sells millions of everything that she puts her name...it is almost cult-like how (some) woman follow her every advice or recommendation. Most of the books that I have seen with her logo on it are shlock. They sell well and are almost always featured prominently on tables at the front of American bookstores like Barnes & Noble and Borders. They are usually about some woman's problem or another...big publishing house offerings...well done covers. A few others have even been made into movies (In Her Shoes, My Sister's Keeper, it may have all started with The Brides of Madison County, but I could be wrong.). DVC is one that also captured a male audience thus driving up sales.

Like I posted earlier, I don't knwo about the 'Garcia' book so can't comment on that one.

So, what does that say about culture? It is easy to say that Hollywood and Orpah have a big influence; and there isn't necessarily anything wrong with that. But what does the list look like if you remove the reference guides and the Bible? What are the top ten fiction books? And what happens when you remove Hollywood and Oprah from that list? That would be an interesting list.

Korotky Gennady
23-03-2008, 18:40
1 Holy Bible - 6 000
3 Lord of the Rings 100
6 World Almanac 80
7 McGuffey Readers 60
9 The Da Vinci Code 43

Thanks...... Bible and Mao have been overestimated :bong:

Korotky Gennady
23-03-2008, 18:41
Please provide your sources. Are these the most popular in the world or the most printed? The right question

anthonycasey
11-04-2008, 01:15
1 Holy Bible - 6 000
3 Lord of the Rings 100
6 World Almanac 80
7 McGuffey Readers 60
9 The Da Vinci Code 43

Thanks......
Is it worth considering that most of the global population is illiterate? Any list of 'most popular' books must therefore be heavily biased.
How about trying to compile a list of most popular stories, as oral history/culture is still very much alive and kicking. I bet there are themes that recur in every community in the world...

monica
11-04-2008, 01:23
The Bible is, has been, and will be the greatest book ever! It has stood the test of time. It brings hope, peace and love to any troubled and discouraged soul.

anthonycasey
11-04-2008, 01:26
The Bible is, has been, and will be the greatest book ever! It has stood the test of time. It brings hope, peace and love to any troubled and discouraged soul.
Or, it's a mysoginistic, oligarchic, skewed and autocontradictory pseudo-history that has been used frequently to justify all manner of inhuman attrocities.
Love the language of the KJV though.

monica
11-04-2008, 01:29
Or, it's a mysoginistic, oligarchic, skewed and autocontradictory pseudo-history that has been used frequently to justify all manner of inhuman attrocities.

Don't confuse the Catholic Church with true Christianity. Catholicism (with its Inquisition, Crusades etc.) is far from what Jesus taught and preached.

anthonycasey
11-04-2008, 01:40
Don't confuse the Catholic Church with true Christianity. Catholicism (with its Inquisition, Crusades etc.) is far from what Jesus taught and preached.
I'm certainly not attacking Christianity, nor defending the Catholic Church. But the ideals embodied in the Bible are questionable to say the least; historically interesting, but questionable. I think it's possible to live a 'Christian' life (which by the way is also embodied in most of the other major world religions) without the slightest belief in any god whatsoever. Do your own thing, don't hurt anyone deliberately, but have fun while you can. You're a long time dead.

Orion
14-04-2008, 17:35
Ummm...aren't we a bit off topic here?

Penelope
14-04-2008, 17:43
Was the topic "most popular books"? The Bible is certainly the all-time best seller.

Orion
14-04-2008, 18:57
True...but the "Concise History of Christianity" was not...

Mao's book was #2...yet no discussion about the merits of the ideas in that book...or LotR, etc...

Last couple of posts seem to be taking the thread into a debate about the merits of religion.

Gypsy
14-04-2008, 19:52

You could not be more wrong. Look at the history and it is christianity that has nothing to do with what the jesus character preached.

After his death his brother took over and carried on preaching "The Way" as it was called then - which was extolling Jews to be better Jews.

It was peter and Paul who took it away,massaged it,added bits,left out the uncomfortable bits and Hey Presto we have christianity. A very long way away from what jesus taught.

Miracle77777
14-04-2008, 22:16
Hmmm......
I think the first position in the initial list is certainly for true:iagree:
You could agree with Bible conception...or you could argue with it....
But still - most of us read it and made some opinion....what makes Bible a best-seller for sure.....

Question of Thread is not about whether these books are worth for reading or not....I think it is too debatable topic.....but how they could be popular among citizens and consumers.....

This list, as I mentioned is from RBK rating....but it is not the last one....

Miracle77777
14-04-2008, 22:27
I'm certainly not attacking Christianity, nor defending the Catholic Church. But the ideals embodied in the Bible are questionable to say the least; historically interesting, but questionable. I think it's possible to live a 'Christian' life (which by the way is also embodied in most of the other major world religions) without the slightest belief in any god whatsoever. Do your own thing, don't hurt anyone deliberately, but have fun while you can. You're a long time dead.

Of course you are not....Simply have no power and proper educational base for that...
To claim that ideals embodied in the Bible are questionable - it is simply your impression/opinion about it....
Hope you would be kind enough for allowing others to have another view, which is different from yours?

>Do your own thing, don't hurt anyone deliberately, but have fun while you can....

The problem is, that different persons have different opinions on point, what is having fun....and what is not-hurting......
And very often, it is quite non-adequate with general theory..:D
Good for you, if you could define it....but I have doubts, that everyone is so confident in this as you are.....

Anyway - if you are interested in this discussion - would be pleased to talk with you in Religion area....

Korotky Gennady
16-04-2008, 13:50
The Bible is, has been, and will be the greatest book ever! It has stood the test of time. It brings hope, peace and love to any troubled and discouraged soul.:confused: Nope.

:11513:

This Book ruined psyche of many people whom I know... :11513:

Korotky Gennady
16-04-2008, 13:54
Love the language of the KJV though. What is this "language of the KJV" ? :confused:

Korotky Gennady
16-04-2008, 13:57
I'm certainly not attacking Christianity, nor defending the Catholic Church. But the ideals embodied in the Bible are questionable to say the least; historically interesting, but questionable. I think it's possible to live a 'Christian' life (which by the way is also embodied in most of the other major world religions) without the slightest belief in any god whatsoever. Do your own thing, don't hurt anyone deliberately, but have fun while you can. You're a long time dead. Who is dead ? :confused: I do all these things but me is not dead... I hope.

Korotky Gennady
16-04-2008, 14:01
It was peter and Paul who took it away,massaged it,added bits,left out the uncomfortable bits and Hey Presto we have christianity. A very long way away from what jesus taught. Oh !!! :confused::confused::confused: :ignore:

Korotky Gennady
16-04-2008, 14:05
Do your own thing, don't hurt anyone deliberately, but have fun while you can....

The problem is, that different persons have different opinions on point, what is having fun....and what is not-hurting......
And very often, it is quite non-adequate with general theory..:D

. The problem is that there isn't and can't be any general theory on that.

Miracle77777
16-04-2008, 22:54
:confused: Nope.

:11513:

This Book ruined psyche of many people whom I know... :11513:

I think those minds were not so strong, if mere a Book could ruined them.....:)

Miracle77777
16-04-2008, 22:57
The problem is that there isn't and can't be any general theory on that.

I know what you mean.......
But, you cannot argue that there are some general positions, on which our society had been built???????
Maybe it could be named in other way...but still.....I think if we didn't have smth like moral principles e t.c. we simply could not co-existing altogether......
:whisper:

Korotky Gennady
18-04-2008, 01:52
I think those minds were not so strong, if mere a Book could ruined them.....:)
Mira... you have a point. Their mind are exceptionally weak. And i think that many people who read Bible, they can't even understand it... I mean the orthodox christians in first turn.

Korotky Gennady
18-04-2008, 01:54
I think if we didn't have smth like moral principles e t.c. we simply could not co-existing altogether......
:whisper: Yeah ! You just repeat the words which I always talk to my daughter.

anthonycasey
19-04-2008, 02:37
Who is dead ? :confused: I do all these things but me is not dead... I hope.
Ok. 'one' is a long time dead. Life's too short to spend it adoring an imaginary idol

anthonycasey
19-04-2008, 02:39
What is this "language of the KJV" ? :confused:
The English used in the King James Version of the Bible. It is lyrical and sensual. Quite intoxicating.

anthonycasey
19-04-2008, 02:41
The problem is that there isn't and can't be any general theory on that.
On the contrary, I think there CAN be a general theory, based on consensus and unselfishness. But I also agree that this is well off thread. Shall we start another?

Miracle77777
19-04-2008, 22:40
Yeah ! You just repeat the words which I always talk to my daughter.

:D
Is she agree with us???...:)

SalTheReturn
21-04-2008, 21:55
My comment? I must be in the top 1% of population by IQ, as I only read two of those and can't remember much from any of the two.
Namely, the Bible and Da Vince Code...
I must be much smarter than most of the people then :idea:! I don't read Guiness book or Grammar books..

But seriously, one can talk about best-selling books, how do they know the best read book... ?!

EDITED

Korotky Gennady
21-04-2008, 23:51
:D
Is she agree with us???...:)It doesn't matter

Albertina
25-04-2008, 23:41
EDITED

What does THAT mean?!
Sal was censored ?! I thought he was so harmless :reindeer:

:11363:

Master Shake
27-01-2009, 20:33
Unless things have changed a lot in the last few years, this list is fiction. One example is "Alice in Wonderland" which (as of 1990) was second only to the Bible in the number of copies in print is not even in your list.