PDA

View Full Version : Deleted posts

jheisel
02-04-2004, 12:06
Is there any way to configure this board so that when a post is deleted it shows up in the thread as "Deleted"? There are some active threads right now that seem to not flow logically, because parts have been removed....

DPG
02-04-2004, 12:36
Agree! Perhaps if a post has a certain number of replies, it should be "undeletable" or something - there are a few habitual deleters out there and it makes it seem like the rest of us have fun talking and argueing with ourselves...

sfjohns67
02-04-2004, 12:51
I third that one...maybe it'll make a few people think a bit more carefully about the garbage they're writing before they hit the 'Post' button.

Olga
02-04-2004, 16:46
Originally posted by jheisel
Is there any way to configure this board so that when a post is deleted it shows up in the thread as "Deleted"? There are some active threads right now that seem to not flow logically, because parts have been removed.... I tried to explain the same to Braders in Information, but my English is too poor:-( Thank god there are native English speakers here.

to DPG - "habitual deleters": that's hillarious, i'll have to remember that.
Deleting as a new kind of drug:-)

kak
02-04-2004, 16:52
one other solution would be to totally disable this "delete function", i think only the thread starter should be allowed to delete the own thread, that's it.

moscowmail
05-04-2004, 15:55
Hmm, interesting points guys.

I think something may be able to be done, Teutonic Diety is the tech wiz, PM him

Teutonic Deity
06-04-2004, 02:15
ok folks, I have to agree that the deleters out there need to be curtailed somewhat and if you read the rules you will discover that anything posted here becomes the property of expat.ru once it is posted in any case...

there is now a time limit on deleting and editing of posts

everyone (except myself and the moderators) now has exactly one hour to either edit or delete new posts... that should be plenty of time to rethink an angry tirade or tweak a freudian slip

if any of you have any further thoughts on the matter, I am listening...

Olga
06-04-2004, 04:11
Wait, this creates problems! First, there are many more reasons for people to delete their OWN stuff other than "angry tirade or a freudian slip" (and even with those, what if you are one minute late realizing you made a mistake, or what if you had a power failure during that period etc), who's gain it is if you'll look like a fool forever?

A person may solve the problem two days after he posted it, or his situation changed - why does it have to hang there and take space, if the AUTHOR wants to delete it?

What if somebody doesn't concentrate and calls his buddy - the poster by his real name (as I saw happened to one of our renowned members - Deleted - identities are not to be disclosed) - but at least the victim had a chance to delete his post before too many people saw it, and it became unclear who Deleted - identities are not to be disclosed was. Now his time limit would be over. Do you think it'll be better if posters have to write to you for deleting every time this kind of things happens - adding extensively to your already big load? (and while he waits for your responce who knows how many more people will get to know his name)

What if somebody is having a moving out sale and his list is constantly changing?

There are other situations that I came across but can't remember at this late hour, so I'll try to come back in the morning and complete the list - if it will be possible.

Oh, I think there's a way to achieve exactly what jheisel was suggesting: if you set a time limit only for deleting, and not for editing, then if the author wants to delete his post after the time limit, he'll have to edit it to "no text" - and this way a post will still be there and the picture will be more clear than after complete deleting. Is that close to what you wanted, Jheisel?

(BUT in this case we'll still have a problem with "calling real names", so I hope somebody knows a better solution:(

sevan
06-04-2004, 08:57
Olga, did you have to write all that to ask this:

1) Can you set a time limit only for deleting, but not for editing? This way, if the author wants to delete his post after the time limit, he'll have to edit it to "no text".

That's a concrete, concise suggestion for how to fix what you perceive as a real problem. If you have other complaints, try presenting them in the same way. Maybe you’ll get on people’s nerves less. :)

kniga
06-04-2004, 10:24
Sevan,

Get a little of that lemon juice in your eye, did you, lad? :-)

sevan
06-04-2004, 10:34
nah, it's this cold - got me in a nasty mood. ;)

kniga
06-04-2004, 10:36
Sevan,

Take two aspirins, drink a lot of fluids and call me in the morning.

sevan
06-04-2004, 11:04
wait, I thought that Limitchik was the house doctor. Or maybe House Doctor is the house doctor? What are you doing giving out unsolicited, unlicensed medical advice? ;) :p

kniga
06-04-2004, 11:15
Sevan,

I am so old that I was grandfathered into the medical profession, so not to worry! :-)

sevan
06-04-2004, 11:24
Older than Hippocrates himself...and I must say, no worse for the wear, compared to that old guy!

sevan
06-04-2004, 11:25
this thread has officially been hijacked!

Olga
06-04-2004, 14:33
Originally posted by sevan
Olga, did you have to write all that to ask this:
1) Can you set a time limit only for deleting, but not for editing? This way, if the author wants to delete his post after the time limit, he'll have to edit it to "no text". Sevan, this idea only came to me 50 minutes after I posted "all that", so I added it to my post. I didn't delete anything because I'm trying to get used to the new rules when you'll not be able to delete even the most stupid stuff like this one:)

That's a concrete, concise suggestion for how to fix what you perceive as a real problem. I DO NOT perceive this as a real problem, I am only trying to help the one who does by telling the admins that the losses will be bigger than the gain (in my opinion).

kniga
06-04-2004, 14:42
Sevan,

Be nice to the lady! Besides, she writes English better than most of us! :-)

sevan
06-04-2004, 14:49

kniga
06-04-2004, 15:01
Time for more aspirin, grumpy! :-)

sevan
06-04-2004, 15:16
I've been taking Advil cold & sinus all day....

kniga
06-04-2004, 16:06
Take more...

jheisel
06-04-2004, 16:18
Originally posted by Olga
Oh, I think there's a way to achieve exactly what jheisel was suggesting: if you set a time limit only for deleting, and not for editing, then if the author wants to delete his post after the time limit, he'll have to edit it to "no text" - and this way a post will still be there and the picture will be more clear than after complete deleting. Is that close to what you wanted, Jheisel?

Basically all I mean is that if you edit a post it says "Edited by so and so at such and such time." No reason why if you delete a post it couldn't say "Delted by so and so at such and such time" instead of whatever you wrote. I just like knowing that I am not going insane when I read a thread that turns into a flame war over seemingly nothing.

Olga
06-04-2004, 16:58
Originally posted by jheisel
Basically all I mean is that if you edit a post it says "Edited by so and so at such and such time." No reason why if you delete a post it couldn't say "Delted by so and so at such and such time" instead of whatever you wrote. I just like knowing that I am not going insane when I read a thread that turns into a flame war over seemingly nothing. Jheisel, that's obvious:), no need to explain. But if that was possible, then TD-the admin would be the first to know about it, and he wouldn't have to go into the trouble of imposing all those time limits. Too high price for a minor benefit. (but may be I am wrong and it IS possible, TD?)

Teutonic Deity
07-04-2004, 02:22
Originally posted by Olga
may be I am wrong and it IS possible, TD?)

without performing some complicated coding changes, the only option is either to allow editing and deleting or not allow it. it is not possible to allow editing and not deleting or vice versa. the only compromise is to disallow it, but provide a timed window of opportunity to change things.

how about 24 hours - would that be sufficient?

sevan
07-04-2004, 09:33
In my experience, 1 hour is pretty much the standard time limit (my experience: we used WebX at work). Of course there will always be "what if" situations, no matter what time limit you choose.

sevan
07-04-2004, 10:54
OK, I just want to revise my last statement a bit and then I'll shut up and go away. :)

I think that there are at least two good reasons to keep time limits for editing/deleting shorter rather than longer.

1) You are more likely to think before posting if you know that you only have 1 hour, 30 minutes, or 10 minutes to take back what you said. Granted, that might take some of the fun out of Bardak. ;)

2) The longer that someone has to change or delete a post, the more likely you are to run into just the problem that jheisel brought up: threads do not flow logically because parts of the conversation have disappeared. Most threads on this site don't last for much more than 24 hours anyway (or 1 hour, for that matter). The shorter the time limit for going back and deleting, the less possibilities there are for gaps in the conversation.

Not that I REALLY care. :)

I think that there is no perfect solution. Power outages, magnetic storms, lost passwords, whatever - something will always require someone to ask a moderator to delete a post for some reason or another.

From what I have seen, the moderators generally do leave a note saying that they have deleted certain posts, which I hope, jheisel, will help you figure out that you are not going insane. ;)

There. That's all. I'll be quiet now. :p

kniga
07-04-2004, 11:20
Sevan,

Take two aspirin and call me in the morning...

sevan
07-04-2004, 11:32
Hey, I'm being nice. There was nothing nasty or mean in either of those posts. OK, so the comment about magnetic storms was a little sarcastic, but I can't help it!

And I am feeling better, thankyouverymuch!

DPG
07-04-2004, 12:17
Hey, I quickly typed a couple of posts yesterday when I finished work, ran out of the office, had a pint, got home and realised that there were a couple of typos...it was about 4 hours later, I tried to press edit and OK I'll shut the 'F' up now!!!:):)

kniga
07-04-2004, 12:51
DPG,

Maybe the lobsters got your posts...

Olga
08-04-2004, 01:25
Originally posted by Teutonic Deity
without performing some complicated coding changes, the only option is either to allow editing and deleting or not allow it. it is not possible to allow editing and not deleting or vice versa. the only compromise is to disallow it, but provide a timed window of opportunity to change things.

how about 24 hours - would that be sufficient? TD, this is very kind of you to respond to people's concerns, and to try and make this site better but here's what I think: there's only one user known for uncontrolled deleting fits (as well as for a few other strange things, there are funny people everywhere, what can we do:), OK, may be there's another one or two guys, doesn't make a big difference, anyway I think it's unfair to take many benefits from everybody else in order to guarantee a questionable pleasure to read Mr.N's posts at any time, forever, including even those that he himself realized were too stupid to stay on the board.

If it's not possible to configure it as the started of this thread suggested ("No reason why if you delete a post it couldn't say "Delted by so and so at such and such time") then could we have the old time frame back? :)

Teutonic Deity
08-04-2004, 01:50
Here's the final word on this:

posts can now be edited by the author for 24 hours from time of initial posting

posts can *not* be deleted except by myself or moderators (figured out how to implement this)

moscowmail
08-04-2004, 11:15
Originally posted by Teutonic Deity
Here's the final word on this:

posts can now be edited by the author for 24 hours from time of initial posting

posts can *not* be deleted except by myself or moderators (figured out how to implement this)

Well done TD, now Olga, you got your point, so lets leave it there eh ??/ :)

Olga
08-04-2004, 14:36
Originally posted by moscowmail
Well done TD, now Olga, you got your point, so lets leave it there eh ??/ :) Len, my point was if we HAVE to have these limits, then let's set a time limit only for deleting, and not for editing, (BTW I sent you a funny PM about something else, check your box:)

TD, I respect your authority but jheisel only asked for some notification after a post is deleted. May be it's one of those cases when it's better to do nothing than a liitle too much?

Let's move this talk to my thread in Expat Cafe.