PDA

View Full Version : modern times, which is tougher?

turkgida
16-03-2008, 01:09
Hi everyone :wavey:

Just received a beautiful powerpoint from my mom (in Turkish) called "WOMEN".

Accompanied with photos of many "suffering" women, were some remarks on being a woman versus being a man, like:

(pls excuse my amateur translation: )

- for every woman who's tired of pretending to be "weak", there's a weak man who's tired of pretending to be strong;

- for every woman who's tired of pretending to be a "fool", there's a man who's tired of having to act as the "wise" voice of consciousness;

- for every woman who's tired of being stereotyped as "emotional", there's a man whose right to be "sensitive" has been taken away;

- for every sports-woman whose feminity has been under question, there's a man who's been forced to "compete" to prove his masculinity;

- for every woman who's tired of being conceived as a "sex-object", there's a man who's worried about his sexual "performance";

- for every woman who hasn't been granted a decent income, there's a man who's shouldering the responsibility of looking after another person's welfare...

(...and the list continues)

Considering the photos of the "suffering" females in the powerpoint, I'm guessing the creator of the powerpoint took off to stress hardships of being a woman.

Alas, reading the messages made me even more grateful that I was born a female :thumbsup:

So ladies & gentlemen, would you like to discuss:

Are you GLAD you're the gender you are? ...and why? (...or why not?)

Well, the real question is, which do you think is tougher -in our modern times- being a male or a female :question:

Gypsy
16-03-2008, 01:38
I would think it must be tougher being female.

Lower pay for the same work;

Glass ceiling;

Constantly having to prove a willingness to work hard,have a career when it is taken for granted with men.

Natkin
16-03-2008, 01:44
Female.

To continue Gypsy`s list:
Being female and good-looking, when you have a good post, great income, cool apartment and expensive car, you have to prove that it was actually your brain to get you there, and not your body......:vampire:

iceman
16-03-2008, 01:55
i think the whole point of the "powerpoint from your mum" is that it invalidates the question you ask (which do you think is tougher - in our modern times - being a male or a female?) - it is equally problematic. It is tough being a human-being.

alterego
16-03-2008, 07:55
Ah, but females do have one advantage that men do not. An excuse for when they fail, 'Discrimination!'

Gypsy
16-03-2008, 12:51
Ah, but females do have one advantage that men do not. An excuse for when they fail, 'Discrimination!'

I have not noticed men being short of excuses when they fail.

In more years than I care to remember I have never been let down by a woman at work - by men many times with a plethora of excuses.

For the last 20 years I have made it a point to hire women as my deputies - they are "finishers".

turkgida
16-03-2008, 13:01
i'm guessing what alterego meant was, whenever a female falls short of her career goals (due to her own lack of discipline/hardwork/ambition) she tends to blame it on the (imaginary) discrimination against women in her company.

Natkin
16-03-2008, 13:06
i'm guessing what alterego meant was, whenever a female falls short of her career goals (due to her own lack of discipline/hardwork/ambition) she tends to blame it on the (imaginary) discrimination against women in her company.

Oh we girls are very efficient multi-taskers: How many times you were on the phone with your friend, one hand turning beef on a frying pan, other hand turning pages of your kid`s notebook, and yelling to your husband to go out to throw garbage? Just a normal weekend of every married woman!:idea:

Can you imagine wonders she can do in the office when given a chance?

turkgida
16-03-2008, 13:24
Oh Natkin honey, you & me (and many other ladies in the forum) being the disciplined/hardworking/ambitious ladies we are, why on earth would we ever have a need to resort to any cheap excuses :thumbsup: We're already on our good path up ;)

Then again, we have other prices to pay, like jealous colleagues here and there, which takes us back to your earlier post:

... Being female and good-looking, when you have a good post, great income, cool apartment and expensive car, you have to prove that it was actually your brain to get you there, and not your body ...

J.D.
16-03-2008, 15:15
Oh we girls are very efficient multi-taskers: How many times you were on the phone with your friend, one hand turning beef on a frying pan, other hand turning pages of your kid`s notebook, and yelling to your husband to go out to throw garbage? Just a normal weekend of every married woman!:idea:

This women would have a hard time using the discimination excuse for failing.