PDA

View Full Version : want to buy a new car

divudi
12-03-2008, 18:03
Im supposed to move to moscow in a couple of weeks. As soon as my family is joining me in a few months will need a car. I have already gone thru threads where the "doverennost", registering on the russian friend/girlfriend and stuff like that have been decribed but I simply want to go to a dealer an buy me a brand new car and than have it registered on my own name, insured and drive without beeing affraid of the local police. After 2-3 years when I am finished here will sell it or take it home with me.

Can some one tell me what I am supposed to do/to have in order to be able to do it?

Do I get the regular russian licence plate or a different one?

Thanks for any suggestions/help.

rgds

mike77
13-03-2008, 11:22
Which car are you looking to buy??
What is your budget?
As I shall be leaving Russia for good in 2 months time and I would like to sell my Audi A6 Black Metallic.
Its brand new bought in 2006 June from the dealer in moscow and is under all the warranty/Gaurantee and its run only 19,000 Kms.
If you might be intrested than let me know.
Mike
--------

Natkin
13-03-2008, 12:45
Divudi, it is of course possible to register your car on your name. The only trouble you`ll have is to reregister it every time you renew your visa. So it will be at least once a year.

The idea of registering it on your Russian GF was to save that trouble.

As for the lisence - plenty of expats here use their local international lisence to drive. I guess it is legal.

divudi
13-03-2008, 12:59
Which car are you looking to buy??
What is your budget?
As I shall be leaving Russia for good in 2 months time and I would like to sell my Audi A6 Black Metallic.
Its brand new bought in 2006 June from the dealer in moscow and is under all the warranty/Gaurantee and its run only 19,000 Kms.
If you might be intrested than let me know.
Mike
--------

Thanks for you offer Mike. Actually I am thinking of subie FXT which is about 25-30 ths .
Can I have some more info on your A6 (is it quattro, is it gas....)?
Do you have it registered on your name? Have you had hard times doing so?

Thanks again

divudi
13-03-2008, 13:20
Divudi, it is of course possible to register your car on your name. The only trouble you`ll have is to reregister it every time you renew your visa. So it will be at least once a year.

The idea of registering it on your Russian GF was to save that trouble.

As for the lisence - plenty of expats here use their local international lisence to drive. I guess it is legal.

Thank you natkin. Is that reregistering such a pain in the neck? 1 or 2 days of queueing a year could be fine for me. My wife wouldn't be very happy about registering the car on my russian GF (just kidding).

By license plate I meant car number. I have already been here for some time and have never seen any foreign license plates, just a russian ones. Therefore I assume that foreigners get the local ones which doesn't help the police to figure out that I am not russian. Is that correct?

Thanks

mike77
13-03-2008, 22:01
A6 it is 2.4L/177hp Multitronik, all electronic ofcourse Petrol not quattro.
If you would be intrested than I may send you some Pics..
As for the Registration I did it in my name and as far as I am driving car in Moscow that is for last 10years I always preferred it in my name and always had it.
It is actually very easy once you know where to go and when to go and what documents you need to take. Thats it!!! ofcourse some time consuming and patience and it is all very ease but also complicated..

Cheers!!!!!!!

divudi
14-03-2008, 01:20
Thank you Mike. AWD is a must for me from the safety point of view especially here in russia. Therefore I'll go for subaru.

Natkin
14-03-2008, 01:25
Thank you natkin. Is that reregistering such a pain in the neck? 1 or 2 days of queueing a year could be fine for me. My wife wouldn't be very happy about registering the car on my russian GF (just kidding).

By license plate I meant car number. I have already been here for some time and have never seen any foreign license plates, just a russian ones. Therefore I assume that foreigners get the local ones which doesn't help the police to figure out that I am not russian. Is that correct?

Thanks

You get the plates when you register your car. I misread you and thought you mean a driving lisence. As for the time to register - you better make friends with a GAI guy, tip him and he will assist you to do it quick.

divudi
24-09-2008, 14:28
A6 it is 2.4L/177hp Multitronik, all electronic ofcourse Petrol not quattro.
If you would be intrested than I may send you some Pics..
As for the Registration I did it in my name and as far as I am driving car in Moscow that is for last 10years I always preferred it in my name and always had it.
It is actually very easy once you know where to go and when to go and what documents you need to take. Thats it!!! ofcourse some time consuming and patience and it is all very ease but also complicated..

Cheers!!!!!!!

Mike, could you (or anyone else) please explain where I need to go and what docs do I need when registerring a new car here in Moscow. Do I have to pay some fee/tax? How much would that be?

Thanks for your replies

wohun
08-10-2008, 13:53
Make a quick guide and post in the survival guides.

divudi
24-10-2008, 10:15
Make a quick guide and post in the survival guides.

Here is my brief experience with bying and registerring the new car for anyone who is/will be in the same sitiuation.

I have ordered a car at the local dealer.
After one month of waiting he has called me saying that the car is already here. I have paid the invoice and as soon as they have received the money they have prepared all the documents within 2 days for me.
In the meantime i have done the insurance (both casco and osago) at the same dealer and asked them to make the registration for me if possible. They do it usually for all of their clients.
They have taken the neccessary docs to the GAI (vagonoremontnaya) + the original ocago insurance certificate that one has to have before going to the GAI. The only difference between the registration of the russians and foreigners is that the police asked to have the original of my passport and the registration. For russians they just need the copies.
I said thet i do not want to give my passport to someone for one day and therefore we have agreed that they would call me when it's my turn (they have done the registration for another 10-15 clients that day). I came and showed my docs and have received the licence plate and other docs confirming i am the owner of the car and left. It took about 15 minutes.
Usually it takes the whole day of queing.

I have paid 15.000 rur for all of that.

The license plate is the regular one (blk and white) that all russians use.
The car registration validity is the same as your registration in Russia (in my case 10 months) and you have to the the renewal together with you registration. The same refers to you Casco insurance.

So now it's been almost two weeks that i drive in Moscow and am trying to get used to the local traffic rules (are there any?)

Hope it helps

rgds,

divudi

divudi
10-03-2009, 21:23
I am planning to go home for the Easter by car. The car is mine and registerred on my name. But I was told that I need to do a temporary export when crossing the border as I have just a temporary registration - working visa for 1 year. This rule does not refer to russians and those who have the long term registration which i cannot obtain.
It seems very strange for me that when crossing the border with my own car i have to do all the procedure of the temporary export.

Can someone confirm me if that is the case?
If so, how does it work on the border, does it take long?

thank you