PDA

View Full Version : Fiance visa

moscow_me
12-03-2008, 15:22
Hi, for those with an American fiance visa experience-- is it less complicated to get married in Russia or actually go through the fiance visa process? This is to get the Russian half to come to the US and meet the family, etc.

bluemidnight
17-03-2008, 18:21
We've been looking into this as well (my other half is Russian).

Luckily for us, he has semi-frequent business trips to the US.

From what I've read, it looks like if the goal is for you both to move permanently to the US, the fiance visa is best. It streamlines the process of getting a work permit, ect for the non-American spouse. If, however, you're going to remain in Russia after you get married, it looks easier to get married in Russia and just get a tourist visa for a US visit.

We've not gone through the process yet. Good luck!

CaliforniaAngel
28-03-2008, 02:27
I would agree with pp. Get married where you plan to live. We got married in the US. We originally planned to use the fiance visa for my husband to come to the US to meet my family (and see the US) before commiting to a lifetime of shared countries and family. Then go back to get married and live in Russia. After his visa was approved we decided to live in the US first. After getting his green card we were able to return and live in Russia some since then.

Penguin_The_Great
21-04-2008, 08:57
Hi, for those with an American fiance visa experience-- is it less complicated to get married in Russia or actually go through the fiance visa process? This is to get the Russian half to come to the US and meet the family, etc.

From what Iíve heard, the fastest way these days is to get married in Russia and then file for a spouse visa through American Embassy in Moscow. Itís only possible for those Americans who have been residing in Russia for at least 6 months though. Youíll get the visa in something like 2-4 months.
Filing for your spouse/fiancee in the US might take over a year. I have heard that fiancee visa is preferable but Iím not sure why.