PDA

View Full Version : Can an American have 2 Passports

sparkyal
11-03-2008, 18:25
Maybe this post doesn't belong here, but....

so, the question is, can an American have 2 US passports?

I have heard that it is allowed, but i have been unable to confirm it. any thoughts?

MissAnnElk
11-03-2008, 18:29
As far as I know, we cannot have 2 US passports.

Yes, this can be a problem when you travel and also have to apply for passports.

Some Americans have two passports, but from different countries . . . my daughter, for example, has a US and an Argentine one. Neither country recognizes the other's passport. But that doesn't help you.

Penelope
11-03-2008, 18:33
It seems that you can get a new passport, for example to apply for a new visa with, IF your current passport is valid for less than one year. I think some people who travel a lot on business to the Middle East and Israel (and maybe some others) are able to get two passports due to the difficulties the stamps from these countries would cause upon entering the others.

I think it's not generally done, though. And no information is given to this effect on the American Citizen Services web pages on the Embassy's site.

elis
11-03-2008, 18:48
You can. As MissAnn notes, you can hold dual citizenship, hence two passports.

I know my dad had two US passports for quite some time, exactly for the reasons Penelope indicates. He was traveling to Jordan, Isreal and Egypt and needed two passports.

I guess I'm not much more help, except to confirm that it can be done. It's probably easier to get a second one if you're a diplomat or in the military and need it for governmental purposes.

I would suggest calling the embassy directly and talking to them.

NYkr
13-03-2008, 16:15
Yes, North Americans from the USA can get a second passport if their first one has an expiration date of less than 2 years on it. I am half Canadian so I qualified my definition of "American" in the question:).

If you have a halfway plausable reason for having two valid passports they won't nullify your old one. Some good reasons are that you travel a lot, or that you need to present the authentic passport to enter your business building and your are afraid of being mugged and losing the passport or that your new job requires more than two years of time on your passport to get a job. There are doubtless many more.

Hope that helps someone. Send a PM for my email if you have further questions.

NYkr (New Yorker)