PDA

View Full Version : The Countdown quiz

Bels
10-03-2008, 11:42
This idea comes from a favourite television series of mine in the nineties, called Countdown.

We have a number of letters and the object of the game is for someone to come up with a word with the most letters. The first one to come up with a word with the most letters is the winner. I suggest a minimum of six letters is required in round 1

Round 1: ACEFLONRY

Gypsy
10-03-2008, 11:50
Well FALCONRY is an obvious start. 8 letters.

As conducted by a FALCONER,but again 8 letters.

Bels
10-03-2008, 11:54
Brilliant! There's also corneal and larceny.

Round 2: STEUPEALC

Gypsy
10-03-2008, 11:56
SPECULATE?Might have got the letters wrong tho'. - 9 letters.

Judge
10-03-2008, 12:04
peculates ;)

Gypsy
10-03-2008, 12:06
peculates ;)

Edited crap non-joke. Need coffee.

Bels
10-03-2008, 12:07
SPECULATE?Might have got the letters wrong tho'. - 9 letters.

Round 2 - STEUPEALC speculate - epaulets – capsule

Very good, hopefully you didn't find the search I found. Although there will be original ones of my own later this evening when I get back from work.

Round 3: OOTHPASTE

Judge
10-03-2008, 12:09
Round 2 - STEUPEALC speculate - epaulets capsule

Very good, hopefully you didn't find the search I found. Although there will be original ones of my own later this evening when I get back from work.

osteopath :neiner::neiner:

Gypsy
10-03-2008, 12:11
Round 2 - STEUPEALC speculate - epaulets capsule

I am perfectly capable of doing simple anagrams without resorting to cheating!!

Judge
10-03-2008, 12:12
Edited crap non-joke. Need coffee.

It's a holiday, maybe something stronger...:whisper::whisper:

Gypsy
10-03-2008, 12:13
It's a holiday, maybe something stronger...:whisper::whisper:

OK.You twisted my arm.

Judge
10-03-2008, 12:15
I am perfectly capable of doing simple anagrams without resorting to cheating!!
Yeah Bels no cheating now..:nono::nono:
Me is a honest Judge,never cheats...:book::book:

Bels
10-03-2008, 12:23
Due to your good timing Judge, you have either found the game's website or you are a good contender for the next tv show, problem is if you know the show you also need to be good with numbers, which would put me off.

Round 3 - OOTHPASTE osteopath - potatoes - potshot – teapots
7 points needed.

Round 4 CNOCATOUP

Round 5 ADDEGINOS

Round 6 EHIOPSURV

Round 7 CEEEGINRT

Round 8 FINERBODY

Round 9 LACEDCONE

Round 10 TALLWAFER

Judge
10-03-2008, 12:31
Due to your good timing Judge, you have either found the game's website or you are a good contender for the next tv show, problem is if you know the show you also need to be good with numbers, which would put me off.

Round 3 - OOTHPASTE osteopath - potatoes - potshot teapots
7 points needed.

Round 4 CNOCATOUP

Round 5 ADDEGINOS

Round 6 EHIOPSURV

Round 7 CEEEGINRT

Round 8 FINERBODY

Round 9 LACEDCONE

Round 10 TALLWAFER

Too easy, i'll give others a chance.:soccer::soccer::soccer:

Gypsy
10-03-2008, 12:33
Too easy, i'll give others a chance.:soccer::soccer::soccer:

Pointless ,if you get accused of cheating when you get the answers to simple anagrams right.

I'm off to hemi's.

Judge
10-03-2008, 12:35
Pointless ,if you get accused of cheating when you get the answers to simple anagrams right.

I'm off to hemi's.

Enjoy your drink...:10220::10220:

Bels
10-03-2008, 12:40
Conundrums: Your last chance to cheat :) as the introductions over, originals coming up later. A minimum of 9 letters are required to make a word.

FINERBODY
LACEDCONE
TALLWAFER

Judge
10-03-2008, 12:45
Conundrums: Your last chance to cheat :) as the introductions over, originals coming up later. A minimum of 9 letters are required to make a word.

FINERBODY
LACEDCONE
TALLWAFER
boyfriend
???
waterfall

Will play later, time to drink..:10220:

Bels
10-03-2008, 20:44
Okay, a fourteen letter conundrum. I don't how difficult you will find it. I'm no computer, but hopefully there isn't a software easily available that can unscramble letters.

snioteracmismoc

Let me me know if you need a clue.

turkgida
10-03-2008, 20:49
LACEDCONE

concealed??

Gypsy
10-03-2008, 20:53
Okay, a fourteen letter conundrum. I don't how difficult you will find it. I'm no computer, but hopefully there isn't a software easily available that can unscramble letters.

snioteracmismoc

can only get commiserations; you posted 15 letters.

turkgida
10-03-2008, 20:57

snioteracmismoc

yes i need a clue. is it a medical term? i can see osteo- which is "bone" in greek. at least tell me if i'm on the right path...

Bels
10-03-2008, 20:59
concealed??

Congratulations Turgida, and as a non-native English speaker i will give you a rep point. Oops I can't give you one of them anymore. I'll give you a thank you instead. In fact i'll give you three of them when I can.

Bels
10-03-2008, 21:02
can only get commiserations; you posted 15 letters.

Oops! do you have a software I don't know about, if not that's excellent.

Commisserations, my smypathies. And was that with the beers :)

Gypsy
10-03-2008, 21:07
Oops! do you have a software I don't know about, if not that's excellent.

Commisserations, my smypathies. And was that with the beers :)

Again, I do not cheat. No software. And it is not actually excellent at all, it is just how my brain works.

Bels
10-03-2008, 21:17
Out of curiosity, are you just good at word games, or do you believe you could be a good contender for Countdown. They do state that thereare many good at the word games, but not good at both. To me the number game is tough, especially under the pressure and the time required for completion, thirty seconds I believe, and in front of an audience. Can you do that, as I will be honest with you, I couldn't.

Gypsy
10-03-2008, 21:25
Out of curiosity, are you just good at word games, or do you believe you could be a good contender for Countdown. They do state that thereare many good at the word games, but not good at both. To me the number game is tough, especially under the pressure and the time required for completion, thirty seconds I believe, and in front of an audience. Can you do that, as I will be honest with you, I couldn't.

Yes I can "see" the relationships between numbers in the same way.

Bels
10-03-2008, 21:37
Yes I can "see" the relationships between numbers in the same way.

okay, countdown: Choose five numbers between 10 and 99. I will give number required as the result, you will give your calculations to reach that result, and all the members reading this thread will be the judges. I will select the at random, on top of my head.

turkgida
10-03-2008, 21:39
hmmm, isn't it 3 single-digit, 1 double-digit and 1 three-digit number? thats how it is in the turkish version. and then you're asked to reach a three-digit number...
perhaps yours is another version, never seen the "countdown" show

Bels
10-03-2008, 21:46
hmmm, isn't it 3 single-digit, 1 double-digit and 1 three-digit number? thats how it is in the turkish version. and then you're asked to reach a three-digit number...
perhaps yours is another version, never seen the "countdown" show

I'll find it for you the search later, I appear to have lost it from this morning. I'll get back to you as it clearly explains the rules. It was from channel 4 in the UK. And become very popular, addictive to many, and made a star of a brilliant woman for dealing with numbers. I was impressed, because I couldn't do it. Especially the timing that's involved, and in front of an audience. Triffic!

Bels
10-03-2008, 22:06
Next one: temromstop
And what does it mean, I'll give you a thanks as that is all I can give here.

Bels
10-03-2008, 22:17
And what does the resulting word mean, I'll give you a thanks as that is all I can give you here.

turkgida
10-03-2008, 22:21
And what does it mean, I'll give you a thanks as that is all I can give here.

awww thats hard!
poster mom? lol, you know, like a poster child ;)
just kidding, don't know

Bels
10-03-2008, 22:34
awww thats hard!
just kidding, don't know

I give my thanks sparingly, and you have just had tree of them for your first answer as a second language speaker.

Bels
10-03-2008, 22:36
awww thats hard!
just kidding, don't know

A clue, when someone dies., an practical investigation is required.

kirk10071
10-03-2008, 22:37
POSTMORTEM. I never would have gotten that without the clue!

Bels
10-03-2008, 22:40
It wouldn'nt surprise me if it's similar in the Russian language. The wife is not around to confirm this. She's trying to get my little Billy to sleep.

Bels
10-03-2008, 22:44
POSTMORTEM. I never would have gotten that without the clue!

I know you would, how about turkgida. :) Yes that's it. It's in the cafe, because I do believe it is difficult for non-natives.

There will be a repeat quiz for ESL students soon on yet again, common errors and correcting the sentences.

turkgida
10-03-2008, 22:53
I know you would, how about turkgida. :) Yes that's it. It's in the cafe, because I do believe it is difficult for non-natives.

if you're asking if i've ever heard that word before, yes i did. there was either a book or a film named postmortem (well, maybe both) about a ladies' killer.
obviously never used it in a sentence though :) hope i never do...

Bels
10-03-2008, 22:54
I'm not going to do anymore tonight on this subject. But others are welcome to make up their own in the style of whether to get the maximum letters out of a mixture of let's say nine letters. Or whether it's a a conundrum.

And please don't correct me from previous written posts, when I've revised my post within a few seconds.It's so irritating.

kirk10071
10-03-2008, 22:57
It wouldn'nt surprise me if it's similar in the Russian language. The wife is not around to confirm this. She's trying to get my little Billy to sleep.

There is посмертное обследование as one translation.

This brings to mind some of the interesting Russian words I have seen, where there are Russian words with Slavic roots that are constructed the same way as English words with Latin roots. Like the word "circumstance" which combines "around" with "stance" and in Russian it is the same: обстоятельство, with a prefix for "around" and a root that is similar to "standing." Or "international" with "между (inter/between) народный (national). I wonder if there are others. Should I start my own thread?

Bels
10-03-2008, 23:15
There is посмертное обследование as one translation.

This brings to mind some of the interesting Russian words I have seen, where there are Russian words with Slavic roots that are constructed the same way as English words with Latin roots. Like the word "circumstance" which combines "around" with "stance" and in Russian it is the same: обстоятельство, with a prefix for "around" and a root that is similar to "standing." Or "international" with "между (inter/between) народный (national). I wonder if there are others. Should I start my own thread?

Please start with your own, and I will try and join it. :) You could also try and gin=ve the members the next conundrum, as if I I don't get to bed soon I'm going to get a very annoyed wife for a week :) And I don't want that.:bedtime:

Bels
15-03-2008, 22:53
This is just a warm up for the next lot.

Unscramble the 21 letters below to form a four-word phrase used by individuals to prove that wealth is no insurance against discontent.

A A B C E E H I M N N N O P P S S T U Y Y

turkgida
15-03-2008, 22:58
This is just a warm up for the next lot.

Unscramble the 21 letters below to form a four-word phrase used by individuals to prove that wealth is no insurance against discontent.

money cant buy happiness?

turkgida
15-03-2008, 23:01
we want more! we want more!
:applause:

Bels
15-03-2008, 23:02
Brilliant, and thanks for thanks for the immediate response.

What two words, formed from different arrangements of the same seven letters, can be used to complete the sentence below?

The cautious person _ _ _ _ _ _ _ deeply before he
can _ _ _ _ _ _ _ to a serious question.

turkgida
15-03-2008, 23:11
Brilliant, and thanks for thanks for the immediate response.

What two words, formed from different arrangements of the same seven letters, can be used to complete the sentence below?

The cautious person _ _ _ _ _ _ _ deeply before he
can _ _ _ _ _ _ _ to a serious question.

ponders & responds?

("responds" was obvious, so i removed the 's' and mixed&matched the first one ;) )

Bels
15-03-2008, 23:20
Correct: But ponder, not ponders.

The cautious person ponders deeply before he
can respond to a serious question

What two words, formed from different arrangements of the same nine letters, can be used to complete the sentence below?

The accurate _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ of a candidate
who appeals to the voters is the only method
of winning _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _.

Bels
15-03-2008, 23:31
Another one:

What two words, formed from different arrangements of the same eight letters, can be used to complete the sentence below?

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ to say, the tension at the small shop
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ a great deal when the missing cheque turned up.

Bels
15-03-2008, 23:40
Yet another:

Word Ladder
Make your way from PONY to CART in only five steps, changing one letter at a time to form the interim words.

P O N Y

_ _ _ _

_ _ _ _

_ _ _ _

_ _ _ _

C A R T

turkgida
15-03-2008, 23:58
Correct: But ponder, not ponders.

i assume you meant "respond, not responds"
true, i was in a bit of a rush, to be the 1st one to respond ;)

on last two questions: its getting late thus getting harder and harder to concentrate :nut:

i promise, i'll try later Bels. thanx for your encouraging words though...

Bels
16-03-2008, 12:36
i assume you meant "respond, not responds"
true, i was in a bit of a rush, to be the 1st one to respond ;)

on last two questions: its getting late thus getting harder and harder to concentrate :nut:

i promise, i'll try later Bels. thanx for your encouraging words though...

It looks like I was also :) It was bedtime :)