PDA

View Full Version : Self-studing -your opinion needed

Spiky
05-03-2008, 13:46
Hello everybody
Do u believe its possible to learn english without any courses?
Do u know any books for self-studing of English language? (for the beginners)
:question:

SalTheReturn
05-03-2008, 14:57
Hello everybody

I know russian who learnt italian without never receiving an academic training

they really impressed me

but unfortunately when making up a proper speech they would know lots of interesting vocabulary but couldnt put it together the right way

my opinion so it NO, YOU NEED BELS! (you can hire him for 300py just by saying expat.ru recomended)

Albertina
05-03-2008, 23:42
Pimsleur course is good for beginners, but it's really slow from the beginning - so you need to be completely a white sheet of paper in English for it.
But with it you don't even need books - just listen, repeat, answer questions - it's interactive.
From my personal point of view, I need some structure, motivation and discipline to keep some regular schedule - and that's what teachers provide.

Miracle77777
06-03-2008, 00:00
Hello everybody

Good question, Spiky.....:iagree:...Makes sense....

On my opinion - With great desire you could achieve a lot....
Now - it is question, what exactly do you want to achieve???

About self-discipline - it is really personal matter.....Someone could no sit with book more than hour even under teacher's control.....:)

And someone - could make it with theirs own....

But the most important, maybe - is your point in learning....

Do you want to read/write/translate??
In that case, I do think, self-studying is a perspective way....

Do you want communicate/hear/speak/watch movies???
This is more difficult, and you could not manage it well without lively conversation....

CD and audio courses are good.....But they could not be compared with Teacher's guidance.....
But again - All depends on teacher....;)...

As I believe that Study of Languages is a complex of conversation and writing - my advice to you would be to build some basis by your own.....All what you could learn without help.... - spare your time and money...

And then hire a Teacher...a good one....

However - it is my opinion, and I am not insisting on taking it as a right one....
Just wanted to help.....:)

Good luck with your study!!!

Bels
06-03-2008, 18:45
I know russian who learnt italian without never receiving an academic training

they really impressed me

but unfortunately when making up a proper speech they would know lots of interesting vocabulary but couldnt put it together the right way

my opinion so it NO, YOU NEED BELS! (you can hire him for 300py just by saying expat.ru recomended)

You know full well it's 2000p per academic hour Sal. There are some good lelf learning courses here. Представительство издательства Pearson Education (Longman) в России (http://www.longman.ru/)

elis
06-03-2008, 19:06
Agree with Albertina and Sal. It's perfectly doable, if you have the discipline. However, when you start trying to use the language in a real life situation, as opposed to reading or writing, things get more complicated.

MissAnnElk
06-03-2008, 19:15
I used those Pimsler tapes for Spanish and really liked them. I had taken actual courses, but it helped refresh what I knew before a trip once.

However, once I actually lived in a Spanish speaking country, I found my skills sorely lacking. Immersion (hearing real people speak the language and being motivated to talk with them) made a big difference.