PDA

View Full Version : my teacher sais im ready forTOEFL!!!

SalTheReturn
04-03-2008, 19:49
We did some simulation at uni and this was the feedback from my tutor

first it is my version, then the corrected version and finally the feedback

enjoy

Sal

SalTheReturn
04-03-2008, 19:53
ACTUALLY THIS IS NOT THE CORRECTED VERSION BUT THE ORIGINAL. HER FEEDBACK WAS THE FOLLOWING:
a nice rounded essay which would almost certainly make the max. Score of 5 on the TOEFL's scale.

TOEFL's QUESTION:
Why do you think people attend college or university?

I think this is the sort of topic for which I will never be short on ideas. I really feel like I can offer a quality contribute, considering I spent myself lots of years at university, and had the pleasure of studying abroad in a couple of european istitutions. I really got to know many Italian and foreign students, and explored with genuine interest their motivations and ambitions.

It must be stated beforehand that nowadays all young people tend to attend university when they aim at landing a decent job. When I write “decent job” I do not necessarily imply a career which lets you raise good money, but simply a profession which is not about menial work and gives you a little of social prestige. So I am sure lots of people sign up for university just in order to avoid a future of low-qualified jobs, which also happen to be the ones our society looks down on with a great contempt. Paradoxically, just those low-qualified jobs are usually the best paid.

However, cultural enrichment seems to stand out as the main reason leading our young people to enter the world of higher education. It makes sense to me. A good university, approached by a student eager to learn, may really teach you lots of stuff and positevely stimulate your thinking.

Technical competences are another issue, in my opinion almost distinguishable from the sphere of “cultural enrichment”, and in no way less crucial to the forming of a university student. It is a set of skills providing learners with competences that should be readily applicable to the working area of their interest. I mainly mean the acquisition of skills such as the fluency in at least one foreign language and the use of the most popular computer softwares, as well as the abilities required to deal with the specific equipment essential for mastering the profession of their choice. It is a pity that too often the teaching of technical skills is highly ignored by universities, especially in and around Mediterranean Europe. On the other hand, I have found the British university system to be really focused on striving to offer its students a complete technical preparation.

In conclusion I would like to say there is surely a great variety of reasons for which people decide on entering the world of higher education. The possibility of being trained by bot academic and professional experts, and receive a clue or two about the career you are planning to start, are in my opinion the key factors leading people to such decision.

elis
04-03-2008, 20:14
Congrats and good luck.

Bels
04-03-2008, 20:35
Same here Sal, congratulions and good luck on your exams.

Bels
04-03-2008, 20:37
I might be wrong about, but I was informed by another on here about two years ago, that you simply ticked the right box with a choice of three options for TOEFL.

bluemidnight
04-03-2008, 21:18
good luck!!! You'll do very well. =)

SalTheReturn
04-03-2008, 23:18
We did some simulation at uni and this was the feedback from my tutor

first it is my version, then the corrected version and finally the feedback

enjoy

Sal

actually it was just a simulation and at the moment i am not intended to sit for the TOEFL exam

we were actually given around 50TOEFL's topics to choose from, since i was too bored to read all the outlines i picked the first one about university

Bels
05-03-2008, 00:09
actually it was just a simulation and at the moment i am not intended to sit for the TOEFL exam

we were actually given around 50TOEFL's topics to choose from, since i was too bored to read all the outlines i picked the first one about university

Do you want TOEFL and why do you think you need it. Didn't you have IELTS ? Are you emigrating to America for education ?

kirk10071
05-03-2008, 10:32
I am sure a lot of people would be proud to have the competence in another language that you have in English. I am sure you will do well. Good luck!

Natkin
05-03-2008, 10:43
Good luck with your exam, Sal. Do you need it to enter a Uni in UK?

Bels
05-03-2008, 10:50
Good luck with your exam, Sal. Do you need it to enter a Uni in UK?

TOEFL is for American education. For UK and internationally it would be IELTS or Cambridge exams, probably advancd if for University entry.

SalTheReturn
05-03-2008, 10:56
TOEFL is accepted both in the UK and in the US, Bels

IELTS expires Bels, expires

(how comes you are a TEFL and I know more than you? LOL LOL LOL)

The kind of british education I am entering does not require formal english requirements, I mean there are no exams to take in order to be accepted

I am simply taking a B2 writing course here in Florence and we have lots of writing tasks

Natkin
05-03-2008, 11:00
TOEFL is for American education. For UK and internationally it would be IELTS or Cambridge exams, probably advancd if for University entry.

When I was checking MBA programmes in Britain, they told me that any of these exams are accepted, because they both prove my ability to study in English...:applause:

Bels
05-03-2008, 11:19
TOEFL is accepted both in the UK and in the US, Bels

IELTS expires Bels, expires

(how comes you are a TEFL and I know more than you? LOL LOL LOL)

The kind of british education I am entering does not require formal english requirements, I mean there are no exams to take in order to be accepted

I am simply taking a B2 writing course here in Florence and we have lots of writing tasks

You will know more than me in what is required for entry into British English Education because you have to experience the situation, and I don't. I can only read the websites of colleges, universities, British council, The TEFL and Cambridge Exam websites to get my info.

So both 0f you are probably right.

IELTS has improved with it's expiry date, and it's flexible as if for example you get a 5 and you're not satisfied you can try later and for the 7 of which you really wanted in the first place.

All proof of English knowledge expires if you don't continiously use it. For example I learnt German and French at school and continued as a teenager,and then never used it again. I have now forgotten how to use those languages.

SalTheReturn
05-03-2008, 12:38
You will know more than me in what is required for entry into British English Education because you have to experience the situation, and I don't. I can only read the websites of colleges, universities, British council, The TEFL and Cambridge Exam websites to get my info.

So both 0f you are probably right.

IELTS has improved with it's expiry date, and it's flexible as if for example you get a 5 and you're not satisfied you can try later and for the 7 of which you really wanted in the first place.

All proof of English knowledge expires if you don't continiously use it. For example I learnt German and French at school and continued as a teenager,and then never used it again. I have now forgotten how to use those languages.

da thing dude it is that sometimes you seem to forget even how to use english!!!
but honestly now things are clear for me: kid yell, Sveta wants your attentions too, but beer is in the fridge...and thats what compromise your writing skills!!!

Bels
05-03-2008, 12:47
Do you honestly think it all compromises my writing skills :) I don't think so, it jeopordises it. And I keep telling you it's Olga, not Sveta.