PDA

View Full Version : Visa expiring - Residency Pending. What can I do?

razor787
13-06-2019, 21:21
I am in Russia on a work visa. My visa will expire July 31. The Immigration office has my application, and when we applied, they said that we should have an answer by August 6th. This leaves me with a bit of a problem. If it takes the extra week, then my visa will have run out and I need to leave the country.

I have read about a new visa. "Visa to obtain Russian Residency". However, I know that I need to have the acceptance letter before I can apply for this.

What I want to do, is apply for a private visa. This would cancel my work visa, but at least allow me to stay in Russia until my residency clears.

Since this new visa exists, is it the ONLY way that I am able to enter Russia to get my residency? Since I applied for residency while on a work visa, will they allow me to collect it if I am on a private visa?

rusmeister
14-06-2019, 05:56
My experience may be out of date, but I think it would be safer to blow the cash and spend a couple of days in Latvia or Prague or somewhere and apply for the private visa and re-enter.
They don’t like it when it looks like you are playing with or manipulating their visas.

That said, I don’t know. There are visa experts that know, some people here used to know a couple of names to refer you to. But I would play it safe. It’s not worth saving a few hundred euros only to have them cancel your residency.

razor787
14-06-2019, 06:00
My experience may be out of date, but I think it would be safer to blow the cash and spend a couple of days in Latvia or Prague or somewhere and apply for the private visa and re-enter.
They donít like it when it looks like you are playing with or manipulating their visas.

That said, I donít know. There are visa experts that know, some people here used to know a couple of names to refer you to. But I would play it safe. Itís not worth saving a few hundred euros only to have them cancel your residency.

It's what I'm looking at doing, but I'm not sure if it's an option any more.

Note that this new "visa to obtain residency" exists, I'm not sure if the private visa is still possible.

Depending where and when I ask, I get a different answer on what I need.

Does anyone know a visa expert I can talk to?

cheriedeperth
14-06-2019, 12:07
Can't the company who has provided your current work visa (your employer) extend/renew your current visa (if you still work for them)? This extension is done in Russia, and therefore no need to go out and get a private visa.

Cherie

razor787
14-06-2019, 16:33
Can't the company who has provided your current work visa (your employer) extend/renew your current visa (if you still work for them)? This extension is done in Russia, and therefore no need to go out and get a private visa.

Cherie

I don't want to continue with this company. Shortly after I get my temporary residency, I will be starting my own business. The company knows this, so they don't want all the costs/hassle of extending the visa, when I will leave the company a month after my residency is approved.

cheriedeperth
15-06-2019, 18:54
I don't want to continue with this company. Shortly after I get my temporary residency, I will be starting my own business. The company knows this, so they don't want all the costs/hassle of extending the visa, when I will leave the company a month after my residency is approved.

I understand, but what a shame. Could you maybe offer to pay for their trouble of getting your visa extended? It shouldn't work out to much more than a few thousand roubles (no more than 10K, I would imagine)?

razor787
16-06-2019, 01:38
I understand, but what a shame. Could you maybe offer to pay for their trouble of getting your visa extended? It shouldn't work out to much more than a few thousand roubles (no more than 10K, I would imagine)?

You would think... But when I asked, they told me 60k.

My wife managed to get a hold of someone in the department that makes the decision. (I can never keep track of the different names. I think it was the department of the interior).They told her that I've been checked by the FSB, and cleared. My residency will be ready on the 6th. So everything seems to be going well, except that they confirmed that they won't be issuing it before the 6th.

They said that it will be no problem to get a private visa. So that is what we will do. Instead of giving 60k away to the company, we will use that money on a vacation to Georgia.

Does anyone have experience with getting visas in Tbilisi?

rusmeister
16-06-2019, 19:53

My wife managed to get a hold of someone in the department that makes the decision. (I can never keep track of the different names. I think it was the department of the interior).They told her that I've been checked by the FSB, and cleared. My residency will be ready on the 6th. So everything seems to be going well, except that they confirmed that they won't be issuing it before the 6th.

They said that it will be no problem to get a private visa. So that is what we will do. Instead of giving 60k away to the company, we will use that money on a vacation to Georgia.

If you’re from a normal English country, you shouldn’t need a visa in Georgia.

americaninmoscow
16-06-2019, 23:57

What about those of us from an "abnormal English country"? ;b

cheriedeperth
17-06-2019, 00:23

60k is outrageous! Sounds like you've thought it all out and covered all possible options. All the best and have a great time in Georgia. :-)

razor787
18-06-2019, 22:54

Correct, Georgia isn't necessary. But I still need a Russian visa to return to get the residency.

60k is outrageous! Sounds like you've thought it all out and covered all possible options. All the best and have a great time in Georgia. :-)

Yeah, it's a ridiculous amount. Obviously looking to just make some cash. I haven't had the best experience with this company, so I am not surprised.

cheriedeperth
20-06-2019, 14:53
Yeah, it's a ridiculous amount. Obviously looking to just make some cash. I haven't had the best experience with this company, so I am not surprised.

Is it a language school by any chance?

razor787
20-06-2019, 20:25
Is it a language school by any chance?

yup, that would be correct.

Armoured
21-06-2019, 08:32
My understanding from some acquaintances is that getting visas in Tbilisi is subject to long waits and hassles. That was for Georgian citizens, it may be easier for non Georgians, but I don't know.

There are a lot of Georgians who go back and forth and many are dealing with complex consular issues, plus also a fair number of Russians there. Also the Russian diplomatic presence is downgraded - I think formally they work through the Swiss embassy, although in practice it is the old Russian embassy operating as the 'russian interests section.'

(it's the same arrangement here, the Georgian embassy is now formally the Georgian interests section of Swiss embassy)

razor787
22-06-2019, 08:42
My understanding from some acquaintances is that getting visas in Tbilisi is subject to long waits and hassles. That was for Georgian citizens, it may be easier for non Georgians, but I don't know.

There are a lot of Georgians who go back and forth and many are dealing with complex consular issues, plus also a fair number of Russians there. Also the Russian diplomatic presence is downgraded - I think formally they work through the Swiss embassy, although in practice it is the old Russian embassy operating as the 'russian interests section.'

(it's the same arrangement here, the Georgian embassy is now formally the Georgian interests section of Swiss embassy)

Well with the developments over the last couple days, Georgia is our of the question.

According to my wife, Putin has decided to ban Russian flights to Georgia, and recall Russian citizens.

We will need to find a new country to do a visa run.

Any suggestions where to go?

cheriedeperth
22-06-2019, 17:57
yup, that would be correct.

Starting with 'B' and has a 3 letter name?

razor787
22-06-2019, 18:08
No, another one. I will mention their name once my process is finished. I don't want to risk having my visa pulled early.

cheriedeperth
23-06-2019, 01:40
No, another one. I will mention their name once my process is finished. I don't want to risk having my visa pulled early.

Interesting. All the best, anyway. :-)