PDA

View Full Version : have you worked in China?something good and unusual to tell about?

Benedikt
11-06-2018, 02:48
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/201804/23/WS5add3e95a3105cdcf6519d93.html
I am sure they will not want to be berated and hear about the Tian An Men happenings ( i was working there during that period). But about your life there. what did you like? what was so new and unsusual back then.
for me it definitely it was. An Austrian coming from South Africa, got a job offer in Beijing. And eat they want, so I had a job...

TheInterocitor
11-06-2018, 23:30
What did you cook there? Not just chǎo fn and chǎo min ?

Benedikt
12-06-2018, 08:39

in every big hotel in China there was (and still is) a -western- and a -Chinese- Executive Chef. With his team. the Western prepare western food, the Chinese Chinese food. So we had at the Shangri La a Chinese restaurant, where only Chinese food was available. Than we had a -western- restaurant that had no chinese food. A coffeeshop that had both. at the bar there were bar snacks,both chinese and western. *the word European* was never used. anything that was white, -Gweilo-, was western. than there were still the Singapore Chinese (book keeping) the Hongkong Chinese (Kitchen,Service,Management). And of course a night club, disco and the likes. with lots to eat and drink, both chinese and western. and at the nightclub, CAVIAR by the -ton-. It was fashionable abck than. and something new.

~~~~For breakfast we had o the buffet eggs, bacon, sausages, hashbrown and the likes, also -bakery- western. rolls, croissants, Danish... we prepared that.
rice congee, fried noodles, Chinese dumplings were prepared by the Chinese chefs. and the set up we did together.
for a banquet, it was the same.-we- did western food. the Chinese their things.
Ordering was done separately.via Hongkong. we ordered ours, they ordered theirs. except for things that came in alive. suckling pigs, the Chinese chef only wanted fresh, live chickens and ducks and geese. so there was also a chinese -butchershop-. In the beginning they also asked me if i wanted fresh chickens and pigs, the butchery are was there. but claiming we need things done differently, we got around it without loosing face.
Employee Dining Room was one for the Chinese but also if anyone of -us- wanted to go there and eat REAL Chinese stuff. nothing -westernized- there. only Chinese food was cooked there.
-Executive Dining Room- was for -management- whoever that was. and here we outdid each other. we both cooked, the Chinese chef his food.and we prepared our food. of course, we all had to eat and not loose face. from stewed deer sinews ( an excellent dish by the way), deepfried chickenlegs and from our side tripe, stewed heart or lungs Beuschel, (a dish few Chefs acan cook these days). In the beginning i could not stand the Congee. But now I love it, still after all these years.
by the way,we never had cats or dog or rat or snake. also no crickets, worms or beetles. nicely fried in soysauce and crispy like chips iI had them the first time at midnight in Patpong, where the sellers arrived at midnight witheir big cauldrons)
Once in a while we also did a -Chefstable-. For the Chinese and Austrian GM, both Chefs and some top management. And here we really outdid each other. NO simple Vienna Schnitzel or Beijing Duck. Anything that was not fast enough to run,fly,swim or slither away from the cooks knives was prepared. But super dishes. We always looked forward to that time. manly Friday after Lunch. Because Lunch was washed down with copious shots of -Mao Tai-. But we -western- also learned quickly to instruct the beverage manager after the first two or three REAL shots to use specail prepared bottles that had only water or dark tea (whiskey) in it. they knew that we knew what they did. and so we did the same knowing that they knew as well. but you do not talk, not even in the office, so no one looses face. and goes home sober....
it was a great time there. Until Tian An Men. And to this day many of use curse Gorbi, he HAD to arrive than. could it been 2 weeks earlier or two weeks later, there would have been nothing on the Square of the Heavenly Peace.
I know the whole story why it did happen.. it was told to use via an interpreter and our GM...

TheInterocitor
12-06-2018, 12:29
Interesting.

Why angry at Gorbi (Gorbachev?) Did he have something to do with Tian An Mien?

Benedikt
12-06-2018, 15:20
I HATE THIS PLACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EVERYTHING I WROTE IS GONE. BECAUSE THAT IDIOT WHOEVER SAID I AM NOT LOGGED IN. HOW CAN I -REPLY- AND NOT BE LOGGED IN AND START WRITING AND NOT BE LOGGED IN.IDIOTISM.
I WILL REPLY TO YOU ABOUT GORBI, BUT JUST NOT NOW. I NEED A BEER.
by the way, this is now the second time it happened. here. the first answer I had copied and saved. so it was ok. but here I was not finished and while opening a new site ( of course in a -new window-) and when coming backc and wanted to - paste- i got that crappy answer.

Benedikt
13-06-2018, 12:49
Interesting.

Why angry at Gorbi (Gorbachev?) Did he have something to do with Tian An Mien?
What I write is from memory. As it did happen many years ago I do not rememebr all the details anymore. A lot of what had happened we got to know from our Cinese GM. We-westerns- were told not to go to Tian An Men Square. Not that we wanted. We would stick out amongst all the locals. And no one was eager to see a Chinese jail from the inside. And some things we were never told back than. But I found it out only years later.
The students were on Tian An Men prostesing already about 2 weeks befor Gorbi came to Moscow. But no stone throwing, trashcan overturning, shop windows smashing and shop looting hooligans. They had real grievances. Might that have been for better heating, light, hot water and the likes in their dormitories. And of course the education system itself. There was one ZK member , I do not rememebr the name anymore. And without keywords I can not find it on the internet. But he was sympathetic to the students grievances.( he was later dismissed under disgrace from the ZK. And used mainly as scape goat) And it seemed it would be all resolved. And everybody to go home peacefully.
Than there was the state visit of Gorbatchev. But the Tian An Men Square had been taken over by the students. So the square and the main entrance were not available to the visitor. Big loss of face for the Chinese leaders. They had to use a side entrance. More loss of face. And then Gorbi said apparently if that happens in Moscow, I have the Army cleared the place in half an hour-. Major loss of face for the leadership. Gorbi went home. All the greetings and sending off of the honored visitor had to be done at the airport. More loss of face.
Gorbi was gone. The army went in. And the rest is history.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiananmen_Square_protests_of_1989 more to read up.
By the way, the -boy- in front of the tank, it went around the world, was a girl. With these green Mao -Uniforms-, and special when you were slim and small, they all looked the same...(2 attachments).
At our hotel we had CNN day and night. While all the others had to turn it off. - They- just could not switch off the satellite feed because they wanted to watch it themselves, the ZK and other penpushers who had a satellite dish. When the officials came to our hotel and demanded that we turn off the sat feed. But our GM had a incredible reply. He could not do it. Because moisture well creep into the cables, apparatures and the likes. And corrode the wohole lot. Need replacing all this would be VERY expensive. Who would pay? Not Shangri La, not the owners but the party? A 5* Hotel without sat TV,impossible. So, they believed the spiel and we had CNN all the time.
But it was not CNN or BBC or NBC who were filming there. Local stringers, well knowing how they would end up when apprehended, did the work. Back then no flash keys, Sat upload and the likes. Obvious no handies and no FB, youtubes or other social networks as we know it today. It was still film and cassettes. They wer smuggled out. To Hongkong, Bangkok or Singapoere. And sent from there.
It was no happy ending for anyone. Also not for us. Since no more tourists were coming,our 600 room hotel was empty. So most of us were given 3 month notice. But the GM said, should we find something before, no problem, he will let us go. I went to Indonesia,opening a new hotel.
And was most surprised what followed me there from China. In January I got a cheque from Shangril La. The company had, to that event, made good profit. And we all got our allocated share. Never thought of that. That is why Shangri La is such a liked company to work for.

TheInterocitor
13-06-2018, 16:29
I HATE THIS PLACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EVERYTHING I WROTE IS GONE. BECAUSE THAT IDIOT WHOEVER SAID I AM NOT LOGGED IN. HOW CAN I -REPLY- AND NOT BE LOGGED IN AND START WRITING AND NOT BE LOGGED IN.IDIOTISM.
by the way, this is now the second time it happened. here. the first answer I had copied and saved. so it was ok. but here I was not finished and while opening a new site ( of course in a -new window-) and when coming backc and wanted to - paste- i got that crappy answer.

I lose my post often, too. CURSE! CURSE! But I have all the website's dirty tricks figured out. I can usually retrieve the original text by paging back 4-5 times.

TheInterocitor
13-06-2018, 16:41
What I write is from memory. As it did happen many years ago I do not rememebr all the details anymore. A lot of what had happened we got to know from our Cinese GM. We-westerns- were told not to go to Tian An Men Square. Not that we wanted. We would stick out amongst all the locals. And no one was eager to see a Chinese jail from the inside. And some things we were never told back than. But I found it out only years later.
The students were on Tian An Men prostesing already about 2 weeks befor Gorbi came to Moscow. But no stone throwing, trashcan overturning, shop windows smashing and shop looting hooligans. They had real grievances. Might that have been for better heating, light, hot water and the likes in their dormitories. And of course the education system itself. There was one ZK member , I do not rememebr the name anymore. And without keywords I can not find it on the internet. But he was sympathetic to the students grievances.( he was later dismissed under disgrace from the ZK. And used mainly as scape goat) And it seemed it would be all resolved. And everybody to go home peacefully.
Than there was the state visit of Gorbatchev. But the Tian An Men Square had been taken over by the students. So the square and the main entrance were not available to the visitor. Big loss of face for the Chinese leaders. They had to use a side entrance. More loss of face. And then Gorbi said apparently if that happens in Moscow, I have the Army cleared the place in half an hour-. Major loss of face for the leadership. Gorbi went home. All the greetings and sending off of the honored visitor had to be done at the airport. More loss of face.
Gorbi was gone. The army went in. And the rest is history.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiananmen_Square_protests_of_1989 more to read up.
By the way, the -boy- in front of the tank, it went around the world, was a girl. With these green Mao -Uniforms-, and special when you were slim and small, they all looked the same...(2 attachments).
At our hotel we had CNN day and night. While all the others had to turn it off. - They- just could not switch off the satellite feed because they wanted to watch it themselves, the ZK and other penpushers who had a satellite dish. When the officials came to our hotel and demanded that we turn off the sat feed. But our GM had a incredible reply. He could not do it. Because moisture well creep into the cables, apparatures and the likes. And corrode the wohole lot. Need replacing all this would be VERY expensive. Who would pay? Not Shangri La, not the owners but the party? A 5* Hotel without sat TV,impossible. So, they believed the spiel and we had CNN all the time.
But it was not CNN or BBC or NBC who were filming there. Local stringers, well knowing how they would end up when apprehended, did the work. Back then no flash keys, Sat upload and the likes. Obvious no handies and no FB, youtubes or other social networks as we know it today. It was still film and cassettes. They wer smuggled out. To Hongkong, Bangkok or Singapoere. And sent from there.
It was no happy ending for anyone. Also not for us. Since no more tourists were coming,our 600 room hotel was empty. So most of us were given 3 month notice. But the GM said, should we find something before, no problem, he will let us go. I went to Indonesia,opening a new hotel.
And was most surprised what followed me there from China. In January I got a cheque from Shangril La. The company had, to that event, made good profit. And we all got our allocated share. Never thought of that. That is why Shangri La is such a liked company to work for.

It wasn't Chai Ling? Looks like girl to me, not boy.

The hotel kept the internet because they made financial explanation? Also extra cash for bureaucrat? :)

What happened in China - I don't understand why *anyone* can criticize Russia or the US when big-time mass murder of their own citizens by Chinese government such as at Tien-an Mien occurs, and we treat China same as advanced democracy. Red China is tightly controlled military dictatorship. Xi-Jin-Ping may be media hero, but he is just latest thug-leader.

Where did you go in Indonesia? Bali? I have Chinese friend in DJakarta and in Bali. He is always complaining of mistreatment by racist Malays. And of course corrupt government and judges.

Tiancai
14-06-2018, 10:26
If you guys keep discussing this stuff here, the site is gonna get banned in mainland China:dont-tell-anyone:

TheInterocitor
14-06-2018, 18:22
If you guys keep discussing this stuff here, the site is gonna get banned in mainland China:dont-tell-anyone:

Thinking about it, it is strange how quickly world is changing.

We (USA) never had to worry about censorship since internet started until a year or so ago. Before internet, some books could not be published because no NY publisher would print conservative books.

Now Facebook is "managing" the posts, nearly all media is far-Left wing/Progressive and do not allow comments, and Google has gone from World Champion of Free Speech to become a USSR-PRAVDA-1984 type censor spewing political and historical disinformation.

I expect this bias/corruption in Asia, Africa, even in Western Europe, but difficult to accept in USSA.

費杰明 (my moniker in 普通話) :)

annasophia
15-06-2018, 14:36

I have also experienced this, numerous times.

What I learned to do before I hit the 'post reply' button, was to open expat in a new tab, and log in again. Then immediately return to the tab with the post I had already written and click send. Guaranteed to be logged in that way.

This has been a problem for years. This site seems to logout a user after 10 minutes or so.

FatAndy
15-06-2018, 15:07
I have also experienced this, numerous times.

What I learned to do before I hit the 'post reply' button, was to open expat in a new tab, and log in again. Then immediately return to the tab with the post I had already written and click send. Guaranteed to be logged in that way.

This has been a problem for years. This site seems to logout a user after 10 minutes or so.
Never had such issues, maybe depends on browser used. IE on desktop or laptop + Chrome on tablet work pretty well.

FatAndy
15-06-2018, 15:12
We (USA) never had to worry about censorship since internet started until a year or so ago. Before internet, some books could not be published because no NY publisher would print conservative books.

Now Facebook is "managing" the posts, nearly all media is far-Left wing/Progressive and do not allow comments, and Google has gone from World Champion of Free Speech to become a USSR-PRAVDA-1984 type censor spewing political and historical disinformation.

I expect this bias/corruption in Asia, Africa, even in Western Europe, but difficult to accept in USSA.
My wife has predicted it yet in 1990. And I saw numerous confirmations of the movement in 2003rd and 2007th. Later visits (2008th, 2015th) didn't deliver sharp impressions, well, in social sense...