PDA

View Full Version : -Molly Gwynn-s - going the way as the other - illegal- kiosks

Benedikt
23-08-2017, 03:45
https://themoscowtimes.com/news/moscow-officials-reveal-fifth-wave-of-demolitions-58727

suppose that is a piece of prime estate there,even if it is on the - wrong - side of the Arbat. wonder what they are going to put up instead? another shopping center that no one needs?

TolkoRaz
23-08-2017, 09:41
Zhal! I have had many a wild night in Molly Gwins, but I do agree it is not the most attractive of Arbat buildings.............

I wonder if there will be a themed 'Last Orders'? ;)

Armoured
23-08-2017, 11:23
sad news. One of the few pubs in moscow that feels like a pub.

Also one of the very few places that has had consistent service forever - waitresses polite and usually efficient, apologise if there's a mistake or a delay.

Never any of that 'not my table' atttitide that I can't stand. If you need a drink, they get you a drink.

Benedikt
23-08-2017, 12:57

Also one of the very few places that has had consistent service forever - waitresses polite and usually efficient, apologise if there's a mistake or a delay.

Never any of that 'not my table' atttitide that I can't stand. If you need a drink, they get you a drink.

on the other hand, just because the building comes down, does not mean the PUB will be gone forever as well. wonder though what will put up there.and if they than can or would want to, afford the rent?
maybe one of -you- regulars can ask management and let us know?

TolkoRaz
23-08-2017, 13:40

Have you tried Hudsons?

Armoured
24-08-2017, 00:40
Have you tried Hudsons?

No, not my neighbourhood. In fact Molly's isn't either anymore.

To be fair, level of service overall in Msocow is much better than it used to be. There's a place near the Ledovy Dvorets I hit occasionally that is closer than most to a pub feel, they serve their beer, I rarely have to wait, but I'm only there from time to time.

The food at Molly's is better but the ledovy dvorets has better beer. Seriously.

But it doesn't have Molly's track record. Pubs in the Uk have done adequate service for a couple hundred years. I don't ask for that though ))

Judge
24-08-2017, 13:01
No, not my neighbourhood. In fact Molly's isn't either anymore.

To be fair, level of service overall in Msocow is much better than it used to be. There's a place near the Ledovy Dvorets I hit occasionally that is closer than most to a pub feel, they serve their beer, I rarely have to wait, but I'm only there from time to time.

The food at Molly's is better but the ledovy dvorets has better beer. Seriously.

But it doesn't have Molly's track record. Pubs in the Uk have done adequate service for a couple hundred years. I don't ask for that though ))

UK pub service hasn't changed much down the years, you have to get up off your arse and order your own drinks...:big-grin:

Armoured
24-08-2017, 17:47
UK pub service hasn't changed much down the years, you have to get up off your arse and order your own drinks...:big-grin:

True, but they're usually pretty quick about it ). The good ones sometimes have it waiting for me by the time I get to the bar...

TolkoRaz
24-08-2017, 19:28
True, but they're usually pretty quick about it ). The good ones sometimes have it waiting for me by the time I get to the bar...

That beats sitting in the corner getting thirsty and thirstier..........

Judge
24-08-2017, 19:32

Cool, sounds like you've been here long enough to have a place/s you can call your Local.

vossy7
25-08-2017, 09:29
Never been to MGs:smile:

TolkoRaz
25-08-2017, 09:32

Not that you can recall! :p

Armoured
25-08-2017, 09:38
Cool, sounds like you've been here long enough to have a place/s you can call your Local.

I try and find a local wherever I go )

Just so long as you have your own local.

Dont' worry, it's not like you're missing some great cultural mecca. It's just a decent pub, dime a dozen in the home countries - but it's a decent one that's held on for an awfully long time in a city where restaurant turnover is high, and where good places tend to get ruined whenever ownership or management changes.

I was thinking of another thing, that Molly's rode through the ups and downs pretty well - when the economy was in full-on boom mode, it was tending to expensive (quite even), but switched things up and prices are more reasonable now. It's still not a low-end bar but more reasonable.

They've also broadened their beer offerings in the craft beer revolution. Granted, I think most craft beers are shite, but at least there's more choice.

Now if only they could pull a proper Guinness. I'm not a big Guinness drinker, but once in a while get the craving. But then hardly anywhere outside of UK/Ireland does a proper Guinness.

vossy7
25-08-2017, 09:53
I remember drinking in Sally's when it first opened .....and that place on Arbat , The Irish pub ? oh and the one on Yakimemka .....maybe Silvers at an Embassy do ......but haven't set foot in a pub in Moscow for >10 years :sad:

Benedikt
25-08-2017, 10:59
I remember drinking in Sally's when it first opened .....and that place on Arbat , The Irish pub ? oh and the one on Yakimemka .....maybe Silvers at an Embassy do ......but haven't set foot in a pub in Moscow for >10 years :sad:

Irish House! on the second floor. on the first floor was a supermarket. great place! Danny McLaughlin was one of the managers there!don-t know if he was there from the beginning. but a great guy! wonder where he is now?

alan100
17-11-2018, 04:21
I just read this.... not back in Moscow yet... has Molly's been demolished yet?

If so it will be VERY sad.... all the old haunts (1990's-2010) are being destroyed/redeveloped..... I hope I will not come back to everything being gone!

Spent many many happy hours in there....

Benedikt: Have not forgotten ))))

Benedikt
17-11-2018, 19:38
Benedikt: Have not forgotten ))))[/QUOTE]

most or at least many of the old places are gone. others have sprung up instead.clientele also has changed. but since also out in the suburbs more and more good and decent watering holes are opening, no need for me to schlepp all the way to town to get a decent bite to eat or a drink. as for the rest, i ahd my good times when workign at the Angara, the Stanislavsky, the Vinso Grand, the Golden Palace.American Bar& Grill. it were nice times at the Chesterfield- Boarhouse, the Hungry Duck, the Rasputin or a few others. But age and other things ( marriage and the likes) and other things take priority.....