PDA

View Full Version : Truffles

Judge
28-07-2017, 11:34
Watching a few episodes of truffle hunters on Discovery,gave me an idea to try and hunt for some, anyone tried ? reading up on it, they grow near pine ,oak and fir trees,more than enough round my area.
I don't think truffle hunting is that popular here, berries and mushroom picking only, when you see a village babushka selling her forest pickings on the side of the road, never truffles.
Benedikt, how are restaurants towards truffles, do they buy from locals?

kanga
28-07-2017, 12:46
First you'll need to find yourself a truffle pig:

Judge
28-07-2017, 12:56
Yes, on the show they had a pig helping out one hunter, others had just a rake, dogs can be used too.
This guy's got it down to a fine art.

https://youtu.be/KRz5HtDNHgU

Need to see type of soil in my area.

Uncle Wally
28-07-2017, 15:10
I know of a truffle pig. He works for Gazprom bank though.

TheInterocitor
28-07-2017, 19:06
The truffles are usually close by the snipes.

Benedikt
28-07-2017, 19:38
Benedikt, how are restaurants towards truffles, do they buy from locals?[/QUOTE]

if the person can show me a (even bona fide) invoice that would be accepted by our book keeper, i have no problem. if not, no. and of course the tuber must be a real one. because there are also - fake- truffles around, that look like but are not. ( already some years back i wrote an article, with photo,here. http://www.alpental.com/psms/PNWMushrooms/PictorialKey/Gastroid.htm#False)

by the way,growing truffles as such is not a big deal. at -tvoi dom- there is a stand with -seeds- of all kinds of mushrooms. truffles will take about 10 years to have a yield that is worth mentioning it. they explain where abd how to -plant- and what to do. and than just wait and hope for the best.
by the way, lots of birch trees are down now. time to take a few logs home, drill a few holes into it and spike them with shitake or other -seeds-.

TolkoRaz
28-07-2017, 20:43
I know of a truffle pig. He works for Gazprom bank though.

Ukrainian Pigs could be used too.....