PDA

View Full Version : What's up this weekend?

vossy7
11-07-2017, 16:10
it's very rare for us to be in Moscow over a weekend but we have some guests arriving .....any suggestions for events this coming weekend??

Benedikt
11-07-2017, 17:23
it's very rare for us to be in Moscow over a weekend but we have some guests arriving .....any suggestions for events this coming weekend??
https://themoscowtimes.com/events
a look here is always worthwhile. though it is only Tuesday today, so maybe check in every day.for shows, theater, music and the likes.

Vernisage in Ismailovo 8Metro Partisanskaya) is always interesting. forget the tourist junk and rip off at the bottom. up in the galleries one can find STILL nice things.

want to have it more quiet, food included and a little bit a show off, why not? the fleet of Radisson ships is the perfect place to be.

Tsaritsino, Metro with the same name,green line, Catherine's Folly. Lots to walk if one wants. but also museum, good cafe and a nice out door restaurant. of course it would be nice if the weather also played its part.

Early Moscow, Kolomrnskoje, Metro with the same name, green line. Big park, many small out door cafes, shashlik and the likes. Museum, nice view over Moscow. also a stop for a trip on the Moscow river boats.

If your guest never have seen the change of guards at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Alexandrovsky Sad. Every hour. Don-t come to late. Tons of tourists there...

VDNH. better there rent a bike.. metro with the same name.if you like Armenian food, excellent place at their pavilion. If kids are there, exhibitions, carousels, all is there.

Walking along the Old Arbat is always fun. See the Pushkin Museum... get from a street artist your portrait painted.. tons of food and drink there.

If your guests remember the GUM of old. have a look there now... Only $$$$. only reason for me there to walk in, they STILL have the best ice cream.

Are kids coming as well? Detski Mir is a must. 5 floors of children's delight and grown ups nightmare...
From Detski Mir you can walk to Ted Square, go see lenin, while he is still there. or have your foto taken with Lenin,Stalin,Nikolai.Peter the <great, sometimes even Catherine is there. and if you are lucky a VV is also there..
Or on the other end from Detski Mir walk down Kuznetski Most Street. every other shop is a restaurant or has something to eat. ...
Maybe it will it be only grown ups who want to have a night in town? For that hopefully someone else will be able to give an answer. about the - in - spots. because here i am definitely -out-.

vossy7
11-07-2017, 23:10
Cheers Ben , great list ....have done almost all of them but a long time ago so maybe worth a revisit to some.

Benedikt
12-07-2017, 02:57
Cheers Ben , great list ....have done almost all of them but a long time ago so maybe worth a revisit to some.

Vossy,special when you have done them a long time ago. Many of these places have got a - kapital remont - and one would not recognize them from the old days.

Benedikt
12-07-2017, 03:15
Vossy,special when you have done them a long time ago. Many of these places have got a - kapital remont - and one would not recognize them from the old days.

by the way should there be more men in your party and they like old - war- things. Poklonaya Goraa, the technical part on the left side. and the - arms and weapons museum- not to far from Globus Hypermarket out on the Riga Highway, definitely worth a go and see ( there plan a whole day though). ALL THE PLACES I MENTIONED ARE ON THE INTERNET FOR DIRECTIONS, ARE CLOSE TO PUBLIC TRANSPORT. Star City, Kubinka,also on the net,though far out, for sure need registration before hand. for -space- explorers. And the newly renovated space museum out at the VDNH, on the left dies out from the metro.
A trip into the clouds? Ostankino TV tower is open again. though no restaurant. anymore. and when we were there, it was -sessions-. Meaning if you want to come down earlier, no go. up and down all at the same time. suppose the lift for one or two people only is not a feasible alternative for them... a little museum at the bottom about the early days of radio and TV communications . and a few nice old cars outside.
MUZEON park, Metro Park Kultur, and the adjacent New Tretyakov Galerie, that ugly square white block, always worth a go and see. A walk along the embankment, see the picture sellers. And at the end that ugly Peter the Great statue.And the Red October Chocolate factory. ( closed now, but nice and $$$ places for a chill out and snack) Also across Metro Park Kultur, the MUSEUM OF MOSCOW. About the early days of the City. And always some interesting exhibitions.
More -war- technical. Out here in Khimki. A -cut open- cccp submarine, to walk through. Interesting for me to see that 1x1 m2 kitchen... Poor cooks. Also a big airplane there and a few other interesting things. one would assume, men and boys only?

annasophia
12-07-2017, 08:57
If you have a car and want a bit of day trip, I think this should be the weekend of the Cucumber Festival in Suzdal.

Russia's best summer festival. Love that place.

vossy7
12-07-2017, 09:10
More great ideas Ben.....I'll have to keep the militaria for myself to enjoy when I will have some male company .....as I will be a thorn amongst three roses this weekend:smug:

Annasophia , the last time we were in Suzdal was in the early 90's and we took our company VW minibus to Suzdal with a bunch of expats , we stayed in the grounds of some monastery , the name escapes me . Each couple had their own log cabin with blazing kamins, we had great cross country skiing and a lot of local samogon .....luckily we all escaped with eyesight intact! I would love to revisit but dread being in traffic for most of the weekend :crying:

annasophia
12-07-2017, 09:39
We went to the Cucumber Festival every_year we lived in Moscow. It was the highlight of our summer and what a beautiful beautiful place. Lotsa pickles & vodka too. Such fun.

For me it was always worth braving the traffic (on a bus).

Uncle Wally
12-07-2017, 12:52
There is always something going on at Park Gorky.

http://adidasbase.afisha.ru/?utm_source=afisha&utm_medium=100x250&utm_campaign=basemoscow

Also I think the Moscow Transportation is still doing their bus 🚌 expo around town.

Benedikt
12-07-2017, 19:06
Also I think the Moscow Transportation is still doing their bus �� expo around town.[/QUOTE]

correct, there are hop on hop off, red double decker busses doing the tours around the city.One stop,start is by the Karl Marks - memorial- .at the bus stop where also the city busses are stopping. across the road is the Bolshoi theater, and on the left side the newly opened Hotel Moskva, to give you an idea where the stop is.
and on the side of the GUM they are blaring out their advertising about bus tours around Moscow.Though have no idea what bus they are using.

zzhhst
12-07-2017, 23:11

There is a dinosaur museum in Temply Stan nice display 3 floors. Was there last year it was free. http://www.paleo.ru/museum/

Uncle Wally
12-07-2017, 23:21
Also I think the Moscow Transportation is still doing their bus �� expo around town.

correct, there are hop on hop off, red double decker busses doing the tours around the city.One stop,start is by the Karl Marks - memorial- .at the bus stop where also the city busses are stopping. across the road is the Bolshoi theater, and on the left side the newly opened Hotel Moskva, to give you an idea where the stop is.
and on the side of the GUM they are blaring out their advertising about bus tours around Moscow.Though have no idea what bus they are using.[/QUOTE]

No, that's not what I was talking about. They are displaying old buses and trolly buses around town.

TolkoRaz
12-07-2017, 23:44
More great ideas Ben.....I'll have to keep the militaria for myself to enjoy when I will have some male company .....as I will be a thorn amongst three roses this weekend:smug:

Annasophia , the last time we were in Suzdal was in the early 90's and we took our company VW minibus to Suzdal with a bunch of expats , we stayed in the grounds of some monastery , the name escapes me . Each couple had their own log cabin with blazing kamins, we had great cross country skiing and a lot of local samogon .....luckily we all escaped with eyesight intact! I would love to revisit but dread being in traffic for most of the weekend :crying:

It was most probably 'Покровском Монастыре' - I have taken many guests there....... ‘I seem to recall that Pyotr the Great’s first wife, Yevdokia Lopukhina, was imprisoned at the convent..........

Did you eat hearty dinners in the 'Trapezhnaya'?

vossy7
13-07-2017, 00:40
Yes mate ,that's the place and I was surprised we could eat in the refectory ......and hearty it was.
Truly great memories ......one of the guys on that trip was the founder of one of the well known commercial banks in the 90s.......another one was responsible for the early IKEA business some more interesting people and of course bringing up the rear was a simple Paddy:smug: